IGNORED

Jon Stead (merged Threads)

Dolman Block B

Entirely agree about Clarkson. He is an intelligent player who uses the ball well, as he showed on Saturday. He is not a centre forrward (he played left of a front three at Motherwell) and finds it hard stuck up front on his own too often having to chase long high balls. Play him with one or two others up front and give him the ball to his feet and you will get the best out of him I reckon. I think he would thrive alongside Stead in fact as he would find more room to play.

Problem is RR wants to pair Clarkson with Pittman or Maynard when fit, As far as I can see Stead dosen't fit into RR's plans and should'nt be signed.

I agree that Stead came over really well in his interview. At 27 he should be around his best, and what is strange is that he has been allowed to play sat?

Would thought Keane wouldnt wanted that?????

He's our player now and Keane can't stop him playing for us. I believe league rules were changed in recent years to stop clubs writing in ridiculous conditions that stopped players being able to play against their former clubs even if the fixture was six months away! In reality Keane's only other option was to delay the deal another week to avoid Stead facing Ipswich on Saturday, but given the time it's taken so far to conclude the deal that situation would never have happened.

Stead to score in the 90th minute to win the game Saturday please!!!!!!!!fingerscrossed.giffingerscrossed.giffingerscrossed.gif

Problem is RR wants to pair Clarkson with Pittman or Maynard when fit, As far as I can see Stead dosen't fit into RR's plans and should'nt be signed.

Quite, which is why I countered that I felt Clarkson would do well alongside Stead. Two guys up from with football brains, which Stead also has imo, is no bad thing.

Quite, which is why I countered that I felt Clarkson would do well alongside Stead. Two guys up from with football brains, which Stead also has imo, is no bad thing.

So let me get this right, We leave one guy who scored 28 goals last season and another who scored 20 goals on the bench and go with 2 guys we already know can't score in a brothel?.

So let me get this right, We leave one guy who scored 28 goals last season and another who scored 20 goals on the bench and go with 2 guys we already know can't score in a brothel?.

No,no,no....

Stead and Pitman up front with Clarkson either to the left or preferably just behind them 'in the hole'. I could see that working.

It would mean adopting a 3-4-1-2 or a 4-3-3 but that shouldn't be a problem especially at AG.

I was merely expressing the view that the two could play together and disagreeing that Stead was an unnecessary signing, not suggesting a particular selection. It will be interesting to see if BP goes straight into the team in place of DC though or is introduced gradually. A fit Maynard is automatic choice and I can't' see JS and BP being bench warmers so Keith may go for 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 perhaps? He may even go for David, John and Brett together right away. Or Albert may stay in. Ivan's place may be under threat too. There is certainly lot of choice all of a sudden!

I was merely expressing the view that the two could play together and disagreeing that Stead was an unnecessary signing, not suggesting a particular selection. It will be interesting to see if BP goes straight into the team in place of DC though or is introduced gradually. A fit Maynard is automatic choice and I can't' see JS and BP being bench warmers so Keith may go for 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 perhaps? He may even go for David, John and Brett together right away. Or Albert may stay in. Ivan's place may be under threat too. There is certainly lot of choice all of a sudden!

In today's interview on Player, Millen said that both BP and JS would go straight into the team for Saturday (he may have said Squad, not team) but it looks like they are both going into the starting line-up straight away.

He said they were both match fit, had both been playing every game for their former clubs recently and all he had to do now was get them into training this week and get them to get to know the other players.

Interesting, I am not sure I would have played Stead from the start at Portman Rd, so soon after he has just left there, BUT what do I know. In Milly we trust !

No,no,no....

Stead and Pitman up front with Clarkson either to the left or preferably just behind them 'in the hole'. I could see that working.

It would mean adopting a 3-4-1-2 or a 4-3-3 but that shouldn't be a problem especially at AG.

Pitman is about as close we'll get to Maynard in terms of spectacular goals. Maynard didn't rely on a target man and I doubt Pitman will. He's a natural finisher the same as Maynard is.

Pitman may well benefit more from a clever player like Clarkson rather than target man.

So where in your statement highlighted above, Do you say what you now say?.

See quote from Ipswich fan below.. taken from the BEP's comments section relating to todays double transfer news report.

' I can tell you Keane didn't wan't to lose Stead and he was after Pitman so he's gutted.All you need are two big Midfielders and the season will kick off.The offer of LJ in part exchange was refused.'

. Tractor Boy, Ipswich commented on 23-Aug-2010 14:40

So glad we managed to pi$ off both Keane & Holloway at the same time - (Millie Magic - what a double whammy!! :) )

But what do we make of the last comment by tractor boy? .... was LJ offered as part of the deal?..

Pitman is about as close we'll get to Maynard in terms of spectacular goals. Maynard didn't rely on a target man and I doubt Pitman will. He's a natural finisher the same as Maynard is.

Pitman may well benefit more from a clever player like Clarkson rather than target man.

So where in your statement highlighted above, Do you say what you now say?.

I rate Clarkson highly enough for him to retain his starting place ahead of Stead if necessary. That said, Clarkson Pitman and Stead could all start given the right formation and in the right game - at AG in particular.

Imo, Pitman with his goal record should walk into the team but who plays alongside him is open to debate. Away at a tough place like Ipswich I would expect Millen to adpot a more cautious formation and not start with three front men.

As I said above if I were Millen, I'd consider a basic 4-4-2 at Ipswich with Pitman and Clarkson as the front two but with Clarkson playing slightly deeper. 4-4-1-1 in other words.

No,no,no....

The only concern I have with those formations is that we have 4-5 wingers and those 2 formations wouldn't suit any of them, perhaps with the exception of Haynes and Adomah, who can play further up the pitch in a 4-3-3. That, though, would mean not playing the 3 that you want up front. 3 at the back with no natural wingbacks in a 3-4-1-3 formation would surely be suicide, as we can't defend at the moment with 4 at the back. It might be more viable when Ribs is back, but we would need more defensive widemen to pull that off.

Fantastic signing, I've seen him play a lot at Portman Rd as I live in EA and he's what we have been missing for a long time, a target man who can finish most importantly, but he does a lot more, I think Stead is our long awaited replacement for Brooker.

Good enough Welcome to AG Mr Stead, brooker was a ledgend

Absolutely delighted about Stead

he seems to be exactly what we needed.

He is the target man option we wanted, without having a big clumsy battering ram up front. At 27 he should be about to hit his peak and is experienced without being anywhere near being over the hill

He loves the ball into feet, brings others in and scores a few goals at this level aswell. Plus he works like a dog which for me always helps to get the fans onside, and his hard graft will lead to opportunities for others

Added to the fact we now have Maynard AND Pittman to bang goals in we have a strikeforce to be feared.

200k aswell, what a bargain for player in his prime.

JACKPOT!

Archived