IGNORED

John Akinde Very Impressive

enever

I know he has been discussed briefly on other threads, but I thought he was extremely impressive when he came on.

we haven't seen much of him, and before the game when there was talk of him being part of the Pitman deal I wasn't overly bothered at the prospect of letting go of him, however he was a real breath of fresh air when he came on.

Very direct, very strong and actually linked up very well with everyone around him and had we nicked it, it would have been down to him being on the pitch in my opinion (and he was the one that fed Sproule for the "goal").

And had he buried his chance it would have been a bit of a wonder goal!

Despite all of our signings, we will need a a big strong power house occasionally and going on today's showing, maybe he is starting to mature and could fill that gap?

I know he has been discussed briefly on other threads, but I thought he was extremely impressive when he came on.

we haven't seen much of him, and before the game when there was talk of him being part of the Pitman deal I wasn't overly bothered at the prospect of letting go of him, however he was a real breath of fresh air when he came on.

Very direct, very strong and actually linked up very well with everyone around him and had we nicked it, it would have been down to him being on the pitch in my opinion (and he was the one that fed Sproule for the "goal").

And had he buried his chance it would have been a bit of a wonder goal!

Despite all of our signings, we will need a a big strong power house occasionally and going on today's showing, maybe he is starting to mature and could fill that gap?

I'm afraid I (and most of us around me) must have been watching someone else!!!

Yes, when he gets the ball he likes to run at defences, but all too often he just doesn't seem to want to fight for the ball.

He's big, yet doesn't win many in the air, in fact he doesn't even get off the ground.

Did you see Marvin Elliott go absolute mental at him when he wanted him to run into space, but he just stood there!!

I'm afraid I (and most of us around me) must have been watching someone else!!!

Yes, when he gets the ball he likes to run at defences, but all too often he just doesn't seem to want to fight for the ball.

He's big, yet doesn't win many in the air, in fact he doesn't even get off the ground.

Did you see Marvin Elliott go absolute mental at him when he wanted him to run into space, but he just stood there!!

I've got to agree, he stood still far too often.

He did do well with his run at goal, however he should have played Sproule in much much earlier, instead he waited too long and didnt get his head up by which time Sproule was offside (and along way offside too!!)

I've got to agree, he stood still far too often.

He did do well with his run at goal, however he should have played Sproule in much much earlier, instead he waited too long and didnt get his head up by which time Sproule was offside (and along way offside too!!)

He was warmed up prior to penalty and substitution subsequently delayed. He was given very precise instructions on his role by the management team prior to his coming on. Perhaps he stuck to what he was told, he looks thick he may well be, he's ugly but I still believe given the time, as was Maynard, he will come good!!! He was more authoritative today, on speaking with him at Brentford last year he seems a nice guy, perhaps too nice!!! He needs to learn to get a bit NASTY!!!

Thought Big John did very well when he came on, especially after having to get his head around not coming on when he thought he was.

He is very raw still and doesn't seem to have improved much in his time here but he has potential...we are just not getting it out of him.

THAT run reminded me of Akinbiyi in his prime, just unlucky he could get it onto his stronger side, if he is on low wages I would keep him as an impact player until he gets experience.

BCAGFC

Thanks for starting this thread.

I also thought John was good today and has been in the past in his brief appearances.

I think John Akinde is worth a run in the side. He may be raw but he is strong, will run at defenders with the ball - strange to see that at Ashton Gate I know, perhaps we could train that out of him - and makes an impact on the game.

With the two new strikers coming in he may not get a chance, or may be shipped out as part of the deal, which would be a shame as I feel given a chance he could perform well.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I also thought John was good today and has been in the past in his brief appearances.

I think John Akinde is worth a run in the side. He may be raw but he is strong, will run at defenders with the ball - strange to see that at Ashton Gate I know, perhaps we could train that out of him - and makes an impact on the game.

With the two new strikers coming in he may not get a chance, or may be shipped out as part of the deal, which would be a shame as I feel given a chance he could perform well.

Decent with the ball at his feet, big and strong too, but without it he gave nothing, no movement, no options. Hopefully he can bring this into his game and he could be decent.

Football is all about opinions, personally I thought LJ wasn't anything special today and can;t see how Sproule got MOM.

BCAGFC

Too true my friend. I happen to have thought LJ did very well (looking for the killer pass and rather than sideways or backwards). Also thought Sproule played as well as I have ever seen him and was very impressed (from a self-admitting Sproule 'basher'). What stuck in my throat was for Sproules disallowed goal he was calling for the ball for a long time. Akinde held on for far too long and their leftback stepped up. Guess he will improve elements like this with experience - I just think he has too far to improve to be a big player for us.

Totally agreee with Superjack

The management need to get a grip. Akinde came with a great goal scoring record. All this young and raw crap is so annoying. Bringing in more strikers in my opinion is ridiculous. Shipping out Akinde is even more ridiculous when you haven't properly tried the talent you brought into the club

Play Akinde for a good run of games. Adomah looks handy, Ivan is doing great, JCR not so good.

Play Akinde alongside Clarkson (if we must). Clarkson is lightweight, slow and cannot lead the line. Akinde is the exact opposite. The crowd can see it. Why can't the club.

Extremely disappointed that Akinde is not in the team regularly

I much prefer to see Akinde play than Clarkson but with the influx on new strikers it sounds like Akinde will be out on loan which is a shame as he has looked decent in the last two sub appearances.

Yep, much prefer Akinde to Clarkson at the mo.

Great to see his attitude in slight change today; less of the gentle giant, stay behind, be polite,

collect cones up after training, type fella, and more of the the in your face, i will knock you down to get there attitude.

He needs to be more uncompromising on-pitch, take his chance and become the gem we might have found at AG.

Yep interesting this opinion stuff. Must admit never had any time for Akinde. Changed my view briefly after he came on and then changed it back pretty much after Clarkson left the pitch. Clarkson chased down everything today had great touch and great vision. Whilst he was on the pitch doing the running up front we looked dangerous after the sub we faded rapidly. He is one of the few players down the gate with a footballing brain. Reads the game and allows others to play. Fact is we don't use these players well . There seems to be an obsession with pace and strength, whereas given the choice I'd love to see a few more players playing with their heads up, looking around , weighing up options. Tinnion, Russell, Hartley all did this and we played more attractive football because of them. At present I see hit and hope out of defence and then if we happen upon possession lets see if we can out pace the back line. Bit agricultural. No one to watch , no one to get excited about at the moment. Akinde sadly included.

Yep interesting this opinion stuff. Must admit never had any time for Akinde. Changed my view briefly after he came on and then changed it back pretty much after Clarkson left the pitch. Clarkson chased down everything today had great touch and great vision. Whilst he was on the pitch doing the running up front we looked dangerous after the sub we faded rapidly. He is one of the few players down the gate with a footballing brain. Reads the game and allows others to play. Fact is we don't use these players well . There seems to be an obsession with pace and strength, whereas given the choice I'd love to see a few more players playing with their heads up, looking around , weighing up options. Tinnion, Russell, Hartley all did this and we played more attractive football because of them. At present I see hit and hope out of defence and then if we happen upon possession lets see if we can out pace the back line. Bit agricultural. No one to watch , no one to get excited about at the moment. Akinde sadly included.

Well, hopefully we'll see more of this with Stead signing.

Get rid of Akinde

Thought he did well today. If he is off on Monday then I wish him luck. Hopefully the new management team will give young players and signings a chance... John started well for us, had a good spell at Wycombe but seems to have got stuck in a rut. We can't keep buying players and not giving them a decent run... that's a receipe for a squad that's too big and unbalanced...

Let's not forget, he is a striker, signed by Gary Johnson...I think we know the rest

Exactly. Nicky Maynard is the same. League 1 standard if he's lucky. He only scored 20 odd goals last year. rubbish...

Akinde scares and bullies centre backs. Within 10-15 mins Donny took off their centre back. Akinde had at least 3 chances todays which he made by himself. Him and Adomah up front would keep any defence occupied for 90 mins.

Archived