IGNORED

Just A Left Back

newarkred

Just maybe we will be more compact away from home, where at home we push forward as you would expect a home team to do and this is very we expose ourselves (not literally) Strangely enough Ipswich will be a huge test from memory they are a team who use to play very much on the break and are obviously full of confidence and a good chance chopra will be lining up for them come saturday. To get a draw there would be superb hopefully with Carey back it might steady things a bit. Would love stead to score in 91st and win 0-1

Macca, Fonts, Ribs. 3 players all capable of playing left back. and Elliot and Shuse could do a job there in a wingback role, if needed. and the youth players if things get messy, and there is always loan signings.

I personally think Macca is a decent player at this level, sure he makes the odd mistake, but we seem to forget the good performances he puts in week in week out with no rest, hardly ever injured, and not one for moaning like Orr was. I would not like to see him leave, but if there is somone out there who is better than Macca, available for free then sure, why not if you can find him. I don't think there is pick you own leftback tree offering deals on left backs is there?

I jfind it incredible how people are so demanding to spend SL's money on a player we don't really need. Do we need one or want one, big difference.

I am well pleased with the 2 players that we have signed today.

I feel that all we need over the next week is a left back. I then feel we will have a good quality squad that can really compete in the league this season.

I agree 2 good signings, but i still would like a new midfielder and as you said a left back. :fingerscrossed:

Left back is definitely a priority and has cost us points already.

I'd like a left winger second and then a ball player in midfield.

The latter two might be roles the Irish lads can fill in a few months though.

Why don't we switch to 3 at the back? Orr has gone and if the squad has better players than Macca, regardless of position you have to play your best 11 players, even if that means playing 3 at the back and 3 up front. you cant change players as easy as you can change formation.

KM likes the 3-5-2 formation doesn't he? On football Manager it says thats his favoured formation, and I know people might laugh, but the guys who set and research these stats are anal to a point of OCD about them, Footballer manager is a football encyclopaedia so stfu anyone who takes the piss! :disapointed2se:

Why don't we switch to 3 at the back? Orr has gone and if the squad has better players than Macca, regardless of position you have to play your best 11 players, even if that means playing 3 at the back and 3 up front. you cant change players as easy as you can change formation.

KM likes the 3-5-2 formation doesn't he? On football Manager it says thats his favoured formation, and I know people might laugh, but the guys who set and research these stats are anal to a point of OCD about them, Footballer manager is a football encyclopaedia so stfu anyone who takes the piss! :disapointed2se:

Why would we switch to a formation that works by asking full backs to move to a role where they do two jobs when we have an injured right back and a left back who can't cope as it is?

McAllister is getting murdered at the moment, making him into a wing back is just going to make that problem worse.

Why would we switch to a formation that works by asking full backs to move to a role where they do two jobs when we have an injured right back and a left back who can't cope as it is?

McAllister is getting murdered at the moment, making him into a wing back is just going to make that problem worse.

Ohh, we drop him and play JCR. :) somthing like this.

-------------------------James------------------------

--------------Riberio--Carey--Fontaine-----------

----Sproule------Elliot------Skuse------JCR-----

------------Pitman---Stead---Maynard--------------

Attacking or what, bit top heavy, but thats good, we have the players.

Elliot or Skuse can drop into any space made the the defenders if needs be.

Thats a 'gung ho' formation. Weak on the flanks, neither Sproule or JCR are able to defend and if Elliot and Skuse dropped back into defence then the midfield is exposed.

Four across the back would be my prefered defensive set up.

Hunt, Stewart,Carey, Fontaine.

But whatever way you look at it - the left flank is barren and has been since McIndoe left. A left back is essential and I'd be very surprised if Millen isn't looking out for one. Making do with a central defender ain't the answer.

Mate, with all due respect, that's a recipe for disaster.

i like the 3-5-2 idea, maybe take macca out of the firing line for a bit, for the first time i saw that his confidence was shot on saturday, cant help being the new target for the terrace moaners, but i like this formation if you play the following

sproule skuse elliot johnson adomah

and maybe get sproule and adomah to switch flanks during games to keep the fullbacks guessing!!!

just my thoughts but agree with you

left back is by far the weakest link but Fontaine seems make lots of mistake also, not as many as JM but would like to see a signing there also

Fonts is probably making mistakes as firstly he's not used to playing alongside Stewart yet and secondly on his left he's having to cover Macca and frequently gets dragged out of position.

i like the 3-5-2 idea, maybe take macca out of the firing line for a bit, for the first time i saw that his confidence was shot on saturday, cant help being the new target for the terrace moaners,

McAllister is not a 'new target' for the 'terrace moaners' as you put it.

Every fan has an opinion about players and many forum users have been expressing their views about McAllister for a long time. I can remember him having a shocking game at St Mary's and he took loads of critism on here as long ago as back then.

He's a bit better now as he's cut out those countless aimless 50 yard punts up the pitch but is still a weak link in the opinion of many fans.Gave a way stupid penalty last week, got outpaced for Barnsely's second goal on saturday. His crossing is erratic at best and he gets caught out of position far too often.

One thing is for sure - he won't remembered in the same way as Martin Scott, Brennan, Barnard and Micky Bell.

Every fan has an opinion about players and many forum users have been expressing their views about McAllister for a long time. I can remember him having a shocking game at St Mary's and he took loads of critism on here as long ago as back then.

He's a bit better now as he's cut out those countless aimless 50 yard punts up the pitch but is still a weak link in the opinion of many fans.Gave a way stupid penalty last week, got outpaced for Barnsely's second goal on saturday. His crossing is erratic at best and he gets caught out of position far too often.

One thing is for sure - he won't remembered in the same way as Martin Scott, Brennan, Barnard and Micky Bell.

i have not once said that fans are not allowed an opinion, and where i sit in Dolman block e he is a very big target for criticism, so speaking from my experience and the people who sit around us yes he is a new target. And talking about opinions i have always backed mcallister about the way he plays and the fact he is a very competant full back.

he was very solid in teh first two seasons here when his interplay with mcindoe was very good, in my opinion we have never replaced mcindoe, campbell-ryce is simply not as good!!!

and also a couple of weeks ago i challenged you in your vociferous criticism of mcallister to tell me a player who would be better who you can think of....to which you responded that you are not privy to that information as this is something that only scouts agents etc would have......so you cant think of anyone off the top of your head who you think is a significantly better player than mcallister who would be in our price range and may be obtainable??

as for your comment about previous left backs yes they were all good but that is not the issue at hand, mcallister is the current holder of our left back place and i would prefer to give him my backing as i honestly cant think of anyone else....

i have not once said that fans are not allowed an opinion, and where i sit in Dolman block e he is a very big target for criticism, so speaking from my experience and the people who sit around us yes he is a new target. And talking about opinions i have always backed mcallister about the way he plays and the fact he is a very competant full back.

he was very solid in teh first two seasons here when his interplay with mcindoe was very good, in my opinion we have never replaced mcindoe, campbell-ryce is simply not as good!!!

and also a couple of weeks ago i challenged you in your vociferous criticism of mcallister to tell me a player who would be better who you can think of....to which you responded that you are not privy to that information as this is something that only scouts agents etc would have......so you cant think of anyone off the top of your head who you think is a significantly better player than mcallister who would be in our price range and may be obtainable??

as for your comment about previous left backs yes they were all good but that is not the issue at hand, mcallister is the current holder of our left back place and i would prefer to give him my backing as i honestly cant think of anyone else....

I would hope the majority would back McCallister whilst playing in a City shirt but he has been very poor over the last 12-18 months and I do feel that as we are moving forward as a club he is going backwards as a player. According to Millen we are not actively looking for any more players but I think a left back is a priority.

I would hope the majority would back McCallister whilst playing in a City shirt but he has been very poor over the last 12-18 months and I do feel that as we are moving forward as a club he is going backwards as a player. According to Millen we are not actively looking for any more players but I think a left back is a priority.

yeah take your point we are moving forward at a steady pace......but again can you think of anyone better at the moment who we could go after......people always have ideas on here about good strikers/midfielders etc and yes they are easier positions to identify better players, but surely someone can think of a player who would be a better fit than mcallister?

yeah take your point we are moving forward at a steady pace......but again can you think of anyone better at the moment who we could go after......people always have ideas on here about good strikers/midfielders etc and yes they are easier positions to identify better players, but surely someone can think of a player who would be a better fit than mcallister?

Asking me, or any other fan which left backs are available as some kind of defence of McAllister is meaningless. As I posted before, I'm not privy to the kind of circulation notices that managers get or what particular left back may be unhappy at their current club. Nor do I receive scouting reports.

I could say that Ashley Cole is a better left back thatn McAllister and so is Gael Clichy, but what would that achieve?

Asking me, or any other fan which left backs are available as some kind of defence of McAllister is meaningless. As I posted before, I'm not privy to the kind of circulation notices that managers get or what particular left back may be unhappy at their current club. Nor do I receive scouting reports.

I could say that Ashley Cole is a better left back thatn McAllister and so is Gael Clichy, but what would that achieve?

im not asking who is available im asking who do you think would be attainable...just as sometime on here we get people posting about strikers who could be available....i seem to remember certain posters commenting how about we go after brett pittman etc??? i am asking who do people know of that would be a better option and bristol city being a better club for them

i am merely backing a player who currently pulls on our shirt and someone who i believe has never not tried his uptmost to respect that shirt and play to the best of his abilities....it is not his fault we havent as you suggest bought someone better

as for your comment regarding cole/clichy = imbocile

To be fair to the formations mentioned above, when we went on that run at the end of last season, we played 3-5-2 with JCR instead of Mcallister and It worked pretty well from what I remember! and JCR had some great games, despite having to cut in too often due to being right footed.

it was something like this...

GERKEN

RIBEIRO CAREY FONTS

ORR SKUSE JCR

ELLIOT HARTLEY

HAYNES MAYNARD

and it worked because we had Skuse and Fonts both as cover for JCR when bombing forward

this could translate to...

JAMES

CAREY STEWART FONTS

SPROULE ELLIOT JCR/ADOMAH

JOHNSON WILLIAMS

STEAD PITMAN

for the weekend?

Archived