IGNORED

Just A Left Back

newarkred

Asking me, or any other fan which left backs are available as some kind of defence of McAllister is meaningless. As I posted before, I'm not privy to the kind of circulation notices that managers get or what particular left back may be unhappy at their current club. Nor do I receive scouting reports.

I could say that Ashley Cole is a better left back thatn McAllister and so is Gael Clichy, but what would that achieve?

Does that apply to any position? Are there no players you would like to sign? Are there any left backs in the Championship you rate whether apparently available or not? For instance Brett was a player I have wanted us to go for for a long time. Whether he was available was neither here nor there, you make a bid and try to get the club to sell. Personally I dont see that our game is awash with great full backs. England's right back for instance can attack but not defend and his deputy at the World Cup was a centre half. Ashley Cole has no quality deputy. Bertrand would have been nice but we lost out on him. Otherwise I don't see much quality about. Mind you I wondered if we might go for Jay McEvilley (sp?) in the summer and he was crap on Saturday so what do I know?!

Macca, Fonts, Ribs. 3 players all capable of playing left back. and Elliot and Shuse could do a job there in a wingback role, if needed. and the youth players if things get messy, and there is always loan signings.

I personally think Macca is a decent player at this level, sure he makes the odd mistake, but we seem to forget the good performances he puts in week in week out with no rest, hardly ever injured, and not one for moaning like Orr was. I would not like to see him leave, but if there is somone out there who is better than Macca, available for free then sure, why not if you can find him. I don't think there is pick you own leftback tree offering deals on left backs is there?

I jfind it incredible how people are so demanding to spend SL's money on a player we don't really need. Do we need one or want one, big difference.

What about Tom Williams, surely now it's time to give hime a chance at left back isn't that his position ??

I am well pleased with the 2 players that we have signed today.

I feel that all we need over the next week is a left back. I then feel we will have a good quality squad that can really compete in the league this season.

We have a left back in his 2nd year, he should be played.

What about Tom Williams, surely now it's time to give hime a chance at left back isn't that his position ??

i dont mind williams being given a go, as i said just to take macca out of the firing line for bit...but i dont see him as being the answer long run as i didnt see sawyer displacing mcallister overthe course of a season

thing to remember, despite lansdowns wealth, his wallet is not a bottomless pit of money,

Over the last few seasons we have been spoiled in the transfer market spending ALOT of money on players which in many cases have not brought much in when leaving.

Steve Lansdown is perfectly within his right to say, ive spent a few million again this summer, that's it until you can recoup some funds back in.

That 3-5-2 might work on occasion but by proposing it as a solution, by definition, suggests we abandon 4-4-2. I.E. it is an admission we have a weakness at LB.

I cannot see the logic of papering over the cracks by adopting a formation that Millen may very well like, even prefer, but knows full well cannot be used in all matches simply because opponents have different systems themselves. Moreover, you will soon get found out and opponents will doggedly try and exploit that weakness rendering the system a failure not least because you will not have a proper ability to change it mid game.

The solution; buy a decent left back to compete with Macca.

yeah take your point we are moving forward at a steady pace......but again can you think of anyone better at the moment who we could go after......people always have ideas on here about good strikers/midfielders etc and yes they are easier positions to identify better players, but surely someone can think of a player who would be a better fit than mcallister?

Here you go:-

Dean Lewington (Transfer) MK Dons

Tommy Spurr (Transfer) Sheff Wed

Ritchie De Laet (Loan) Man U

Patrick van Aanholt (Loan) Chelsea

Ian Bermingham (Scout) St Patricks Athletic

Conor Powell (Scout) Bohemians

Lee Wallace (Scout) Hearts

Paul Dixon (Scout) Dundee Utd

Ian Bermingham (Scout) St Patricks Athletic Conor Powell (Scout) Bohemians

wow impressed with your knowledge of irish football, ok few options here but how many have you actually seen and know play?....lewington i can understand as has been a consistent performer at div 1 level for a while, but my question would be why has no one come in for him as of yet as he has been playing consistently at that level for a few years now....

but thanks for touting about a few options......

wernt we linked with van aanholt?

I would also add 19 year old Man City left back Greg Cunningham to that list. Already had 2 caps for Eire and made his Man C debut last season. Can also play left mid too!

wow impressed with your knowledge of irish football, ok few options here but how many have you actually seen and know play?....lewington i can understand as has been a consistent performer at div 1 level for a while, but my question would be why has no one come in for him as of yet as he has been playing consistently at that level for a few years now....

but thanks for touting about a few options......

wernt we linked with van aanholt?

I have watched 4 of them live, I have also seen some of the others on TV or are players recommended to me. Except for Lewington all are 23 or under .

Dean Lewington (Transfer) MK Dons - Impressed when watching him on several occasions, recognition with PFA team selection twice.

Tommy Spurr (Transfer) Sheff Wed - Hot prospect who is starting to show his promise.

Ritchie De Laet (Loan) Man U - Belgium International, behind Fabio and Evra in the Man U pecking order

Patrick van Aanholt (Loan) Chelsea - Dutch u21, Ashley Cole and Zhirkov ahead of him in the pecking order

Ian Bermingham (Scout) St Patricks Athletic - Irish u21

Conor Powell (Scout) Bohemians - Former Irish u21, linked with a full call up, young Irish league player of the year

Lee Wallace (Scout) Hearts - Last season broke into the Scotland team.

Paul Dixon (Scout) Dundee Utd - Dundee Utd's young player of the year, just broken into the Scotland squad.

I'd add Luke O'Brien at Bradford as one of the more promising lower league full backs worth a look at least.

And I'd pose a question: Just how much worse would McAllister have to play for Tom Williams who played 30 times at this level last season not to be worth a start?

Like a couple of other posters, I do feel sometimes people should justify their comments with a bit of knowledge, and your list is certainly impressive.

Some people just seem keen on slagging off some of our players when it can actually be very difficult to get ready-made replacements.

We've clearly been in the market for a left-back for a while, what with signing Williams, and being linked with multiple others (Bertrand, Van Aanholt, Nicky Shorey). It would appear that Williams is the best we can do in the current market. Which means we stick with Macca and get behind him.

However, I do I like your list. Particularly Tommy Spurr, I'd like us to get hold of this guy. Could be a little expensive though, with no doubt quite a few suitors.

A couple of others that could be out there, possibly realistic targets, could be :

1) Jloyd Samuel - Rumours are already abound. He's available, and used to play with James at Villa, so could be talked round?

2) Maybe Joe Mills down at Southampton could be worth a cheeky bid? Ex England U17 & U18, maybe needs a bit more experience, but has already played at Championship level and helped Scunny to promotion the season before last. Could be one for the future, but I would prefer to sign these type of players to build a team, rather than waste money on over 30's.

3) How about a really audacious bid for Joe Mattock at West Brom. He was top drawer last year in this league, but is he gonna make a first team regular in the Prem this year, now that they've signed Nicky Shorey, as well as already having Marek Cech? I think they may have a couple of others who can play there too. Maybe an enquiry in this direction could prove fruitful.

4) Can we continue our loan link with Wolves, and see whether George Elokobi or Matty Hill are available - again, they've signed Van Damme who I think plays left back and also have Stephen Ward there too?

Just a few more names into the hat.

Like a couple of other posters, I do feel sometimes people should justify their comments with a bit of knowledge, and your list is certainly impressive.

Some people just seem keen on slagging off some of our players when it can actually be very difficult to get ready-made replacements.

We've clearly been in the market for a left-back for a while, what with signing Williams, and being linked with multiple others (Bertrand, Van Aanholt, Nicky Shorey). It would appear that Williams is the best we can do in the current market. Which means we stick with Macca and get behind him.

However, I do I like your list. Particularly Tommy Spurr, I'd like us to get hold of this guy. Could be a little expensive though, with no doubt quite a few suitors.

A couple of others that could be out there, possibly realistic targets, could be :

1) Jloyd Samuel - Rumours are already abound. He's available, and used to play with James at Villa, so could be talked round?

2) Maybe Joe Mills down at Southampton could be worth a cheeky bid? Ex England U17 & U18, maybe needs a bit more experience, but has already played at Championship level and helped Scunny to promotion the season before last. Could be one for the future, but I would prefer to sign these type of players to build a team, rather than waste money on over 30's.

3) How about a really audacious bid for Joe Mattock at West Brom. He was top drawer last year in this league, but is he gonna make a first team regular in the Prem this year, now that they've signed Nicky Shorey, as well as already having Marek Cech? I think they may have a couple of others who can play there too. Maybe an enquiry in this direction could prove fruitful.

4) Can we continue our loan link with Wolves, and see whether George Elokobi or Matty Hill are available - again, they've signed Van Damme who I think plays left back and also have Stephen Ward there too?

harry the dogm isnt samuel a right back kid?

Haynes absolutely destroyed Mattock at the Gate last year, didn't see much else of him though to be fair.

Fair point, he did.

However, I would say Haynes was pretty much unplayable that day, and if he played like that every week he'd be in the Prem!

On his day, he'll rip apart most full backs.

Mattock had a very good season last year, is still young and is highly rated.

I'd add Luke O'Brien at Bradford as one of the more promising lower league full backs worth a look at least.

And I'd pose a question: Just how much worse would McAllister have to play for Tom Williams who played 30 times at this level last season not to be worth a start?

From what I saw of Tom Williams pre-season, I'd say a hell of a lot worse!

Rather than appearing to panic and bring TW in for 6 months, we'd have likely been far better off signing up Sawyer, who looked pretty solid at the end of last season.

Elokobi is a absolute UNIT, he is like Mike Tyson :laugh:

I would love to see Big George here booting right wingers into row G of the dolman. Not sure if hes much cop with the ball at his feet though

Just to add to a post above my mate who is a Watford fan thinks Richie De Laet is joinging them very shortly on loan.

Lots of good option mentioned above im very impressed as must admit i couldnt think of many myself.

Although Haynbes ruined him last year Mattock is meant to be very highly rated and behind Shorey (and possibly Cech aswell) i think he would be great candidate for a cheeky loan bid.

Would also love to see us sign someone like Lewington or Spurr but i think Lansdown has put his hand in his pocket enough now this close season to be making nay more decent sized fee signings.

Especially with Tom Williams being brought in to xmas i reckon he will prob stick with what he has an hope MaCallisters form picks up as those defenders play more games together

Robbored is intent on slagging off mcallister but doesnt have a clue on anyone capable of replacing him

yes thats true harry....bit like alan the drybread who slates off mcallister but cant think of anyone better to replace him because he is not a chairman/football agent etc.....twit

I'm delighted with the two new signings up top. I just hoping everyone gives Pittman a while to bed in. You can't expect a striker to jump 2 divisions and bag 30 goals! Maynard was crap in his first few months and the step up is huge.

Undoubtedly we need a left back. JM is clearly a good guy who tries his hardest, but unfortunately imo this is simply not good enough any more. I play full back (at a very poor level) and am always in despair at JM's poor positioning, lack of pace and insistence on hitting 50 yard balls before looking to play into centre mid's feet. His tackle against Doncaster was up there with the most stupid decisions I have ever seen in football.

I was gutted when TW got a 6 month deal, in fact I could barely believe it. Having seen him in pre-season I thought he was simply dreadful and really can't believe he gets paid to play. I would personally love to see Matty Hill back at the Gate on a season long loan. We obviously have a good relationship with Wolves and he doesn't have a chance of getting a game in the Prem seeing as they have about 18 fullbacks. He would be a massive improvement on Macca, loves the club and would give 100%. Anyone else like to see him back?

yes thats true harry....bit like alan the drybread who slates off mcallister but cant think of anyone better to replace him because he is not a chairman/football agent etc.....twit

I didnt respond in the first place because your arguement about not knowing of any let backs that are potential replacements for McAllister (therefore we have to keep him) simply didn't deserve a reply.

But....having reconsidered, I would suggest Wolves might be a place to look. Matt Hill and Stephen Ward aren't featuring so could be up for a loan spell.

JLoyd Samuel is another possibility and if Millen wanted to make a cheeky bid Jo Mills at Southampton is getting rave reviews.

But...there are bound to be other left backs whose names are being circulated within the leagues internal pony express and as fans we are not privy to that information.

I would also point out that I am not alone in not having a high opinion of McAllister. Many other fans and posters on here share my view and it seems you are alone in having a high opinion of his ability.

Archived