IGNORED

Millen Interview On World...

!james

Adam: Anymore signings before the transfer window?

Millen: Wont say yes or no with that, as you never know, delighted with the 2 strikers signed today. If players become available will have a look but not actively looking for more signings

so "not actively looking for more signings" sounds like no left back/left wing/central midfielder coming in before the deadline unless Millen has something up this sleeve

what do people think about this? Millen just being coy, or no more activity...

Bearing in mind we have already brought in the following 11 players:-

GK David James

DF Nicky Hunt

DF Damion Stewart

DF Tom Williams

MF Kalifa Cissé

MF Albert Adomah

MF Patrick Hoban

MF Jimmy Keohane

FW Sam Vokes (On loan from Wolves)

FW Jon Stead

FW Brett Pitman

My only wish is a left back which must be a priority, McCallister has been crap for the last 12-18 months why we brought in Tom Williams is baffling.

Not the end of the world, reasonably happy with that.

Regarding the left back situation, considering that Coppell was linked with a couple of left backs and all that appeared was Williams, i think there is a strong chance that when it comes to left backs, they couldn't find anyone better than McAllister, so have signed Williams short term and will review it between now and the Jan transfer window.

Overall, it's been a great transfer window with the quality coming in, the 2 irish lads are unknowns but have been watched by Coppell for a while, apart from those 2 I'm delighted about all the new signings. ALL better than the players they have replaced or just added GOOD squad depth.

Agree with most posters; disappointed he said that and can only keep fingers crossed he is bluffing. I always said we need to strengthen at the back and although we have one could argue we have ignored the most vulnerable position on the entire pitch for us and thats left back.

No disrespect to Macca but he simply needs someone biting at his heels week in, week out. I can see us shipping about 2 goals a game throughout the season; i just hope with our strikers, none going to Bournemouth it would appear, we bang in 3 every game. its just not how i would build a team but what the hec do i know.

Its just a left back we need now! I have no problem with JCR, i think he can be a great player, but he needs to release it quicker.

And he needs to provide his defence with some cover as McIndoe did and Sproule does. His failure to track back leaves us exposed on his side.

Not the end of the world, reasonably happy with that.

Regarding the left back situation, considering that Coppell was linked with a couple of left backs and all that appeared was Williams, i think there is a strong chance that when it comes to left backs, they couldn't find anyone better than McAllister, so have signed Williams short term and will review it between now and the Jan transfer window.

Overall, it's been a great transfer window with the quality coming in, the 2 irish lads are unknowns but have been watched by Coppell for a while, apart from those 2 I'm delighted about all the new signings. ALL better than the players they have replaced or just added GOOD squad depth.

Another thing to remember, despite lansdowns wealth, his wallet is not a bottomless pit of money,

Over the last few seasons we have been spoiled in the transfer market spending ALOT of money on players which in many cases have not brought much in when leaving.

Steve Lansdown is perfectly within his right to say, ive spent a few million again this summer, that's it until you can recoup some funds back in.

My heart sank when I heard Millen say on World that he's 'not actively looking for more signings'.

He and everyone else knows how weak the squad is down the left flank and its hard to believe that he's not looking to strengthen in that area.

We've already brought in eleven ! The squad needs time to gel. Ok so I would have preferred a couple of top quality defenders and for the team to be built from the back but I guess we're just going to have to learn to defend as a team. Besides when Ribeiro is fit it will be like having a new player. Also there are plenty of examples of wide midfielders putting in just as good a shift on the 'wrong' side.

I think we've reached the maximum number of players we can afford now (and some) and would have to shift a significant number on to be in a position to add any more.

Whether or not we think we need strengthening down the left, say, we already have McAllister, Tom Williams, Campbell-Ryce and Adomah on our books. Nyatanga and Fontaine could also play LB, Gavin Williams could play LHS midfield.

They are all on the wage bill and several of them will need to go before we add anything else now, I think.

Despite our alleged problems down the left I'm more than happy with the squad, blimey how many attacking players have we got !

OK, we may ship a few but the object of the game is to score more than the opposition and we're surely capable of doing that.

Exciting season ahead.

Regarding the left back situation, considering that Coppell was linked with a couple of left backs and all that appeared was Williams, i think there is a strong chance that when it comes to left backs, they couldn't find anyone better than McAllister

I could find a better left back in my sleep :closedeyes:

I know of one of the top of my head thats playing in league one and he was available to us for free!! :grr:

A Coppell decision I know, but frustrating none the less.

I can't think of a LB who is available and realistic regarding fee/wages.

Can you list a couple of championship standard left backs who are available for the benefit of those like me who don't have your knowledge of the player market?

(and don't say Sawyer because that's gone now, the manager/coaches chose not to sign him - it's about what's available now)

Thanks

CR

I can't think of a LB who is available and realistic regarding fee/wages.

Can you list a couple of championship standard left backs who are available for the benefit of those like me who don't have your knowledge of the player market?

(and don't say Sawyer because that's gone now, the manager/coaches chose not to sign him - it's about what's available now)

Thanks

CR

You say name a left back thats available, but now is probabaly too late.....

Why not say sawyer?? In the summer, if we were not going to sign sawyer then a left back should have been priority. I understand that millen wanted to keep sawyer, so it's probabaly coppell's fault we're stuck with mcallister & williams.

We only had one left back in the summer and he's the worst outfield first team player we've got. Instead of buying two strikers yesterday, why not use some of that cash to strengthan where we are really are weak and vulnerable....

it disappoints me that we're not actively looking for players, when our left back is so shocking for the past couple of seasons.

Many suggestions for replacements have been made on other threads... there are plenty of left backs about that are better than macca.Whether they are available now at this late stage in the transfer window is another story

I know of one of the top of my head thats playing in league one and he was available to us for free!! :grr:

A Coppell decision I know, but frustrating none the less.

Sawyer maybe, but was he any better than McAllister, Millen wasn't sure otherwise he would have suggest to Coppell to get him signed up straight away.

Personally the only decent left back I can thinki of that I'd like City to sign is one we should have been looking to sign years ago, which is Dean Lewington from MK dons but wouldn't be cheap.

Personally, I'm happy with what we have got and what we have spent.

Sawyer maybe, but was he any better than McAllister, Millen wasn't sure otherwise he would have suggest to Coppell to get him signed up straight away.

Personally the only decent left back I can thinki of that I'd like City to sign is one we should have been looking to sign years ago, which is Dean Lewington from MK dons but wouldn't be cheap.

Personally, I'm happy with what we have got and what we have spent.

Millen stated he wanted to keep Sawyer. Coppell wanted to wait and see him in training/matches - Coppell's stalling meant sawyer was signed up for rovers.

I'm not saying sawyer was amazing - he could have been average. but that is better than what we got now and was worth a punt on a free transfer.

I agree, a decent left back like lewington for example would'nt come cheap. But why spend over a million quid on strikers, when we need left sided players more??

Millen stated he wanted to keep Sawyer. Coppell wanted to wait and see him in training/matches - Coppell's stalling meant sawyer was signed up for rovers.

I'm not saying sawyer was amazing - he could have been average. but that is better than what we got now and was worth a punt on a free transfer.

I agree, a decent left back like lewington for example would'nt come cheap. But why spend over a million quid on strikers, when we need left sided players more??

If he was Championship standard why did no other Championship club snap him up I wonder?

You say name a left back thats available, but now is probabaly too late.....

Why not say sawyer?? In the summer, if we were not going to sign sawyer then a left back should have been priority. I understand that millen wanted to keep sawyer, so it's probabaly coppell's fault we're stuck with mcallister & williams.

We only had one left back in the summer and he's the worst outfield first team player we've got. Instead of buying two strikers yesterday, why not use some of that cash to strengthan where we are really are weak and vulnerable....

it disappoints me that we're not actively looking for players, when our left back is so shocking for the past couple of seasons.

Many suggestions for replacements have been made on other threads... there are plenty of left backs about that are better than macca.Whether they are available now at this late stage in the transfer window is another story

Well you said quote " I could find a left back in my sleep" unquote

and - when given the opportunity - you couldn't even name one who fits thr criteria.

Except to cling on to the one name of Sawyer - A L1 GAS full back who is average at best and not even available NOW.

Defending is a team effort - watch how many times JCR doesn't get back and support JMcA - In sides that are playing well the LW gets back and blocks the space allowing the FB to make the challenge. JMcA has made some mistakes - diving in to give the pen at Donny - but Skuse did the same on Sat. It happens.

At the moment the whole team is defending badly when we lose possession.

Continually picking on one player is stupid as it's not just one player's fault that we're conceeding.

Millen's been in the job 2 weeeks, he's unbeaten, brought in 2 decent strikers, brought in an experienced coach from outside, got the players playing for him.

Yet still people pick fault

CR

Well you said quote " I could find a left back in my sleep" unquote

and - when given the opportunity - you couldn't even name one who fits thr criteria.

Except to cling on to the one name of Sawyer - A L1 GAS full back who is average at best and not even available NOW.

Defending is a team effort - watch how many times JCR doesn't get back and support JMcA - In sides that are playing well the LW gets back and blocks the space allowing the FB to make the challenge. JMcA has made some mistakes - diving in to give the pen at Donny - but Skuse did the same on Sat. It happens.

At the moment the whole team is defending badly when we lose possession.

Continually picking on one player is stupid as it's not just one player's fault that we're conceeding.

Millen's been in the job 2 weeeks, he's unbeaten, brought in 2 decent strikers, brought in an experienced coach from outside, got the players playing for him.

Yet still people pick fault

CR

I could name many. but how am I to know if they are available?? There are many left backs in the top 3 divisions of our league that could do a better job than mcallister.

I use sawyer as an example of how easy it would have been to get a half decent left back.

Using the cop out that JCR does not defend is bullshit. Why was mcallister so poor when mcindoe was here? does JCR make mcallister lump the ball forward aimlessly?

McAlilister is not sole reason our defence is poor - but he is a major part.

You say we are defending poorly when we lose possesion, but who loses the ball most?

Why bring in two strikers, when we already have 6 on the books and currently no decent left back.

I would have only brought in one striker and a left back. We could get a decent left back with the money spent on those two strikers

Archived