CB: Stewart

CB: Carey

RM: Adomah

LM: JCR

CM: Elliott

CM: Johnson

CF: Pittman

CF: Stead

I'd drop Macca quicker than a Pakistani slip fielder drops an edge. I know Clarkson got a goal and assist and Sproule was MOM but don't think either have the quality to scare decent defenses. Adomah looked superb against Barnsley and although JCR hogs it he is the only one of our players with a bit of quality on the ball. I'd start both the new boys up top, though I think Milly will go 4-2-3-1 with Pittman on the bench. Think the quickest way to get Pittman up to Championship pace is to give him game time.

Its funny how things turn around.

Nearly every team on here has Lee Johnson starting and vertually no debate from posters calling for Williams or anybody else to replace Johnson cause 'he's only in the team cause he's Gary's son'.

Turn the clock back a year and the majority of teams posted would have not had LJ in the team. Have i missed something or has LJ suddenly improved that much.

I'm glad he is still here and showing he is in the team on merit.

A lot of criticism of Skuse on here (and other threads) not being as good as some think. That may be so, but i think if he was paired with a truly destructive midfielder like Cisse he will start to shine. There were a couple of passes he played against Doncaster away (the only game i've gone to this season) that were sublime- perhaps even Hartley-esque? Thats of course only if you believe Hartley was any good.....

Anyway, given the resources we're possibly going to have available on Saturday, i would go for...

GK: James

RB: Ribs

LB: Fontaine

CB: Carey

DM: Elliot

DM: Johnson

LM: Adomah

ACM: Clarkson

RM: Sproule

All arranged in a 4-2-3-1. I agree that its probably not a good idea to launch Stead and Pitman in at the same time, so let the former do his thing for the first hour and then unleash Pitman on them in the 2nd half- for Stead if we're winning, for Clarkson if we need to change things

PS I'm only dropping Hunt for Ribs because he needs to get fit. I still think Hunt will come good and we might end up seeing Ribs and Stewart as our centre-back pairing before too long

you know much about Cisse then?

Elliot and Cisse are pretty much in the same mould.

and Elliot is NOT DEFENSIVE!!!!!!!!!

First off Smart Arse why use capitals? So annoying!

I've heard some daft stuff on this asylum and now this, Jordan has decided Elliott isn't a defensive midfielder so it is fact. Really! Someone who charges around the midfield breaking up play and making tackles is generally considered a defensive midfielder in my book.

Second off you don't know anymore about Cisse than any other City fan, sure you may of seen him from time to time on the TV or for Reading but until he plays for us we don't know for sure what he'll bring.

Last I heard he was still trying to get fit and is not ready to be thrown in the deep end on Saturday, correct me if Im wrong JORDAN!!!!!!!!!

So back to my original point , Elliott is the only MATCH FIT quality defensive midfielder we have and not to start with hom on Saturday would be mental.

.....................................James....................................

..........Hunt.........Stewart..........Fontaine.........T.Williams

....................Elliot............Johnson........Cisse.............

.........Adomah...............................................JCR.......

........................................Pitman.................................

If it's not working then go to 4-4-2 swapping Elliot/Cisse for Stead/Akinde

• Admin

I've heard some daft stuff on this asylum and now this, Jordan has decided Elliott isn't a defensive midfielder so it is fact. Really! Someone who charges around the midfield breaking up play and making tackles is generally considered a defensive midfielder in my book.

Second off you don't know anymore about Cisse than any other City fan, sure you may of seen him from time to time on the TV or for Reading but until he plays for us we don't know for sure what he'll bring.

Last I heard he was still trying to get fit and is not ready to be thrown in the deep end on Saturday, correct me if Im wrong JORDAN!!!!!!!!!

So back to my original point , Elliott is the only MATCH FIT quality defensive midfielder we have and not to start with hom on Saturday would be mental.

Yes Millen mentioned on Player the other day that Cisse's injury was a recurrence of the one at Reading which flared up by attempting to do too much too soon. With this in mind they plan not to rush him back.

Or words to that effect at least :)

How am I being smart? you said that Elliot was our only ball wining midfielder, and I said Cisse and Elliot are of the same mould... I'd say thats a pretty fair assessment,

your second statement is so ridiculous I can't even be bothered to respond, I suppose that every time he played at ashton gate and in Prem for reading he changed his game so we wouldn't actually know what he brings? do me a favour, it doesn't take much time to see what type of player someone is.

well, Melksham, you didnt say that in your previous post did you, No, you simply lamented someone for not choosing Elliot. I agree he should play, unless Cisse has shown in training he is fit enough to take over... (another thing you don't know about, None of us know exactly how the players are, Unless you're Kunle? Nah, didn't think so)

and the use of capitals was to make my point clear, Next time I'm replying to a post of yours I will try to remember to use Bold instead, as it seems to be such a big issue for you.

Elliot is not a defensive midfielder, if anything he is the most attacking midfielder we have, he gets forward from midfield all day long, he's the first of our midfielders into the box, trying to get on the end of crosses, Mascharano is a defensive midfielder, because he doesn't go forward at all, Elliot is a box to box midfielder, similar (but obviously nowhere near as talented) to Gerrard. Would you describe Gerrard as defensive?... Just because he tackles doesn't mean his mindset is a defensive one.

Whilst unimportant, and entirely pedantic, I find the labelling of Box to Box midfielders as annoying as you seem to find the use of capital letters.

each to there own I suppose.

If all fit and well,my 11 would be

- - - - - - - - -James- - - - - - - - -

Ribeiro Carey Fontaine Mcallister

- - - - - Elliott Cisse Skuse- - - - -

- - - - Pitman- - - - - - - Adomah- - - -

- - - - - - - - - - Stead - - - - - - - - - - -

Subs

Gerken

Williams

Sproule

Johnson

Jackson

Stewart

Clarkson

GK: James

RB: Hunt

LB: T.Williams

CB: Fontaine

RM: Adomah

LM: Campbell Ryce

CM: Elliott

CM: Skuse (Johnson if not fit)

AM: Clarkson

S1: Gerken

S2: Carey

S3: McAllister

S4: Johnson (Williams if Skuse is not fit)

S5: Sproule

S6: Cisse (Williams if not fit / Keohane or Hoban if Skuse not fit)

S7: Pitman

James

Hunt Fonts Stewart Macca

Elliott Johnno

Adomah Campbell-Ryce

Clarkson Stead

Subs.

Deano

Carey

Ribs

Cisse

Sproule

Akinde

Pitman

The other option i would choose would be to take JCR off and replace him with Cisse and revert back to 4-3-3. But I wouldn't like to see Clarky or Stead out wide.

How am I being smart? you said that Elliot was our only ball wining midfielder, and I said Cisse and Elliot are of the same mould... I'd say thats a pretty fair assessment,

If you would of written it like that in the first place I would agree.

your second statement is so ridiculous I can't even be bothered to respond, I suppose that every time he played at ashton gate and in Prem for reading he changed his game so we wouldn't actually know what he brings? do me a favour, it doesn't take much time to see what type of player someone is.

No you missed my point, we all think we know what he'll bring Im just saying just because he did the business for Reading doesn't mean he will here, I like to see players play for City before telling other people what he'll bring.Im just being honest , Ive not seen him play enough to go around preaching to others about him.

well, Melksham, you didnt say that in your previous post did you, No, you simply lamented someone for not choosing Elliot. I agree he should play, unless Cisse has shown in training he is fit enough to take over... (another thing you don't know about, None of us know exactly how the players are, Unless you're Kunle? Nah, didn't think so)

Don't be a doughnut. We ALL know Cisse is miles short on match fitness because he hasn't played for months other than the 60mins he got yesterday in the friendly. Also when he is fit I personally drop Johnson and play Cisse in the middle with Elliott Playing Skuse away from home as a third central mid to make it solid then when at home dropping 1 of your more defensive CM and playing wingers on both sides of the pitch. Players like JCR and Sproule are liabilitys away from home.

If fit Elliott has to play regardless of Cisse condition.

and the use of capitals was to make my point clear, Next time I'm replying to a post of yours I will try to remember to use Bold instead, as it seems to be such a big issue for you.

Its means you are shouting. Its not required.

Elliot is not a defensive midfielder, if anything he is the most attacking midfielder we have, he gets forward from midfield all day long, he's the first of our midfielders into the box, trying to get on the end of crosses, Mascharano is a defensive midfielder, because he doesn't go forward at all, Elliot is a box to box midfielder, similar (but obviously nowhere near as talented) to Gerrard. Would you describe Gerrard as defensive?... Just because he tackles doesn't mean his mindset is a defensive one.

Whilst unimportant, and entirely pedantic, I find the labelling of Box to Box midfielders as annoying as you seem to find the use of capital letters.

each to there own I suppose.

Now comparing Elliott to Gerrard is daft in the extreme. SG is one of the worlds best central mid players and does pretty much everything very well, hence can fill any role within a team. I don't think you have to sit in the midfield to be considered 'defensive' . When you look at Elliott what are his best qualitys. tackling and general ability to break things up in the middle are what he does well, not known for scoring or creating chances- 9 League goals in now his 4th season in the Championship doesn't suggest he much of a threat at the other end of the pitch.

We will have to agree to disagree but for me Elliott does the defensive parts of the game far better than the offensive parts. Hence he's a defensive Midfielder. box to box mean nothing other than someone runs around alot, its no reflection on what they do best.

Now comparing Elliott to Gerrard is daft in the extreme. SG is one of the worlds best central mid players and does pretty much everything very well, hence can fill any role within a team. I don't think you have to sit in the midfield to be considered 'defensive' . When you look at Elliott what are his best qualitys. tackling and general ability to break things up in the middle are what he does well, not known for scoring or creating chances- 9 League goals in now his 4th season in the Championship doesn't suggest he much of a threat at the other end of the pitch.

We will have to agree to disagree but for me Elliott does the defensive parts of the game far better than the offensive parts. Hence he's a defensive Midfielder. box to box mean nothing other than someone runs around alot, its no reflection on what they do best.

Without wanting to interrupt a good barney, I have to agree that Elliott's best quality is breaking up the opposition attacks. That's what he did so well when he first arrived, and if we want to see that player again he should IMO forget all about being a 'box to box' midfielder and play the sitting role in front of the back four.

how about..

..................james

....hunt.....stewart....fontaine.......woodman

.................johnson

....sproule......clarkson.........jcr

.................akinde

bench- gerken, edwards, stead, pittman, elliott, mcallister, carey

I like the look of that team, only thing I would change is Ribiero for Hunt, and Stead for Akinde!

how about..

..................james

.................johnson

.................akinde

Craig Woodman?.. i thought he left about 24 years ago.

how about..

..................james

.................johnson

.................akinde

I can feel another Damion Stewart thread coming on....

How about selecting a Left Back that plays for us? ;)

Haha good point didn't notice! Although given McAllisters current form Woodman would probably do just as good a job! As much as I've been concerned by his performances this season, I would still choose Mcallister above Tom Williams, we really need to look at a long term solution to Left Back though.

how about..

..................james

.................johnson

.................akinde

Erm the word suicidal comes to mind. Play that side in reality and you be beat by a cricket score.BTW Woodman left City in 07, you have no midfielders in your side. Lee Johnson doesn't count IMO!

Who doing the dirty part of the game when we are not in posession of the ball?

...........................................JAMES

Hunt..................Carey...............Stewart................Fonts

...................Cisse..........................................Elliot

....................................G Williams

..........Pittman...................Stead.............................Adomah

This would be my side on all known form, and you have to include the new signings, it also gives you the option of 433 or 442 during the game. with G williams and Adomah dropping out wide.

how about..

..................james

.................johnson

.................akinde

based on previous results i think it might be a good idea to go out with 11

------------James--------------

Hunt - Carey - Stewart - Fontaine

------------Cisse--------------

Sproule ---- Elliot ---- Adomah

-------- Clarkson

--------------- Pitman

Clarkson and Sproule in form, Pitman for his finishing and set pieces.

Guest Parson St Station

based on previous results i think it might be a good idea to go out with 11

------------James--------------

Hunt - Carey - Stewart - Fontaine

------------Cisse--------------

Sproule ---- Elliot ---- Adomah

-------- Clarkson

--------------- Pitman

Clarkson and Sproule in form, Pitman for his finishing and set pieces.

Thats what I would go for aswell.

Strength and speed.

Well called Gran.

I know you are really Stacey Penton, but I won't tell anyone......

I dont think he'll drop Clarkson after a goal and a assist. Also a big ask to chuck a new young player from the league below into a starting Championship line up away from home. I think Pitman will come off the bench. Akinde also played well when he came on. Wouldn't be suprised to see the 2 newbies on the bench. I hope they both come on though.

..................................James

Hunt............. Carey........... Stewart ..........Fontaine

.............................Elliot

..........................................Johnson

Sproule...................Clarkson....................Adomah

..................................Akinde

:rofl2br:

:rofl2br:

I'm not sure what that silly face is meant to mean but it looks to me like an attempt to ridicule the opinions of a previous poster. Why not express your point of view in words that we can all understand ? Personally I think the comments that 'sodburyred' makes about Clarkson and Pittman are absolutely spot on. I would have thought it quite possible that he'll play Stead against his old club with Clarkson just in behind. Pittman and Akinde on the bench. As for the midfield, not sure about fitness issues so with both Sproule and Adomah on form it could be Sproule, Johnson, Elliott, Adomah. The defence is a nightmare. Does he go back to the tried and tested Carey, Fontaine partnership ? And keep faith with McAllister ? I'll go with Hunt (Ribs please get fit a.s.a.p.) Carey, Fontaine, McAllister, James in goal in a 4-4-1-1.

.................james...............

hunt.......carey........stewart........fontaine

.........johnson.........elliot.....

..sproule.......clarkson.........JCR./ adomah.

......................stead......................

I would be suprised to see Stead start against Ipswich because if he hits a hatrick then Keano would surely be hung by his balls so i wonder if an un-official agreement was made.

If not then give Pitman a go

Subs:

Gerkin

Mcallister

cisse

akinde

JCr/ Adomah

Williams

Riberio

Based on availability this is what I would go for (although is Cisse up for it just yet?).

---------------James-------------------

Hunt-------Stewart----Fonts-------Macca

----------Elliot---Cisse--------------

--------------Johnson-----------------

------Stead---Pitman---Clarkson-------

I think Ipswich will play quite wide and look to have Edwards and Norris (who I suspect will start out wide as Townsend is banned?) supply Scotland and Priskin who are big and biggish respectively. I would hope with this formation the relevant defensive mids could provide supplementary cover to what would need to be very disciplined and concentrated full backs in Hunt and Macca and the support strikers put pressure on the backwards ball to opposition full backs/centre mids. I think Clarkson did well in this sort of position the other week and one would think Stead is a smart enough player to know where a pass is going since he's shown so far this season that he's a good ball player. We should win plenty of second ball in the middle with a strong core fourtet of Stewart, Fonts, Elliot and Cisse with a quick and simple out pass to Johnson. I noted that Ipswich fans aren't terribly confident in their available bunch of lads when it comes to moving the ball about quickly and we should force them to do this; we need a win to get the season started, a break is coming up, there should be 10,000% going into this game for 3 points, I'd like to see us harass them on the pitch like we're South Korea.

On an attacking front I'd like to see Johnson spray a few about and hopefully he'd have license to do this with the two just behind him. It's not the quickest frontline by any means and perhaps playing away this wkend some would suggest pace would be sensible. However I don't think in our current state defensively we're going to be too good at absorbing pressure and hitting on the counter - our distribution from the back is generally poor and confidence isn't high. I would prefer if we attempted to control the game further up the pitch with Johnson working the ball back and forth to deep lying strikers and deep lying mids, spotting their direct running (thinking here mainly of Elliot and Clarkson) and picking them out when space opens up.

I think if we squeeze Ipswich out wide and make it difficult for them to move the ball around they will struggle to create much of notable threat (aside from those all too common incidents of fortune through fault or injury and brain dead defending). We want to win the ball back quickly and keep it, which this formation and player set up is designed to do. I also think this gets the best from our players positionally and in terms of their strongest attributes; something which hasn't been evident in the use of people like JCR so far this season. It also makes use of our most abundant resource, front men. Pitman has been selected simply to goal hang, and pull the defense about for the other two supporting him, I think we'll see good things from him although in this set up he would obviously be replaced by Maynard. Players like Sproule/Adomah/JCR could come on to replace support strikers for a change of tack if Ipswich begin to push and we've kept them quiet. A counter attack would likely be more effective at this time.

Anyway, that's a very limited football fan's view of how in theory it could work on Saturday and how we could be successful in the future. With the addition of another Lee Johnson/creator we have the players for this formation for a season. Go on Keith, do it completely differently and prove me wrong!

Archived