IGNORED

Starting Xi V Ipswich

Derk94

• Admin

Now we have Brett and Jon, what would be your ideal team for saturday? I would have......

................James

Hunt...Stewart...Carey...Fonts

...............Johnson

Sproule.....Elliott.....Adomah

...........Stead....Pitman

I never agree with your posts.

I agree with your post.

Now we have Brett and Jon, what would be your ideal team for saturday? I would have......

................James

...............Johnson

How about - James.

Hunt, Stewart,Carey,Fontaine

Adomah,Elliot, Skuse,

Clarkson,

Pitman, Stead.

I dont think he'll drop Clarkson after a goal and a assist. Also a big ask to chuck a new young player from the league below into a starting Championship line up away from home. I think Pitman will come off the bench. Akinde also played well when he came on. Wouldn't be suprised to see the 2 newbies on the bench. I hope they both come on though.

..................................James

Hunt............. Carey........... Stewart ..........Fontaine

.............................Elliot

..........................................Johnson

Sproule...................Clarkson....................Adomah

..................................Akinde

I dont think he'll drop Clarkson after a goal and a assist. Also a big ask to chuck a new young player from the league below into a starting Championship line up away from home. I think Pitman will come off the bench. Akinde also played well when he came on. Wouldn't be suprised to see the 2 newbies on the bench. I hope they both come on though.

..................................James

Hunt............. Carey........... Stewart ..........Fontaine

.............................Elliot

..........................................Johnson

Sproule...................Clarkson....................Adomah

..................................Akinde

Sorry mate I chuckled at this, you think Akinde is suddenly going to start a few days after we've just brought in two strikers who are bang on form.....sorry can't see it one of the new boys on the bench yes maybe but Akinde, he probably won't even be here.

Interesting eevrybody is saying play Johnson on a 4 man midfield.? Surely the last 3 or 4 years have shown that when we play with Lee Johnson in a 4 man midfield we get cut to pieces. His distribution is really good but he is not a ball wiiner and Elliot can not do it all.

I hope we will go back to what worked last year and play 352

----------------------------------------James

--------------------------Carey Stewart Fontaine

-------------Hunt ---------------------------------------------Tom Williams (can he be worse than Macca?)

---------------------------Elliot-------------------Johnson

------------------------------------Albert

-------------------------Pitman ----------Stead

Lets be solid at the back and starting winning the midfield again by having 3 in the middle, it worked last season. Remember we only changed at Coppells insistance

what? drop ivan after one of his best performances in a red shirt? you never fail to amuse me.

Ivan at AG is a very different player away from home.

He had a terrific game on saturday because he had licence to attack. He doesn't have that licence away from home. Usefull to bring on after and hour or so against tiring defenders so a place on the bench for him at Ipswich.

You never thought of any of that did you? but I'm not laughing at you.

• Admin

..............................James

...........Carey.........Stewart........Fontaine

JCR..............................................................Albert

...........Elliott.........Johnson.......Cisse

.....................Pitman.............Stead

Elliot and Cisse holding the midfield (if Elliott can concentrate on doing that, which is very doubtful), Johnson keeping the ball moving to JCR and Albert.

Now we have front players who can hold the ball and turn a defence, we should be able to defend a bit better - providing they get some decent service of course which isn't exactly guaranteed.

Thank you cynic, I was starting to think I was on my own in thinking this way!

Interesting eevrybody is saying play Johnson on a 4 man midfield.? Surely the last 3 or 4 years have shown that when we play with Lee Johnson in a 4 man midfield we get cut to pieces. His distribution is really good but he is not a ball wiiner and Elliot can not do it all.

I hope we will go back to what worked last year and play 352

----------------------------------------James

--------------------------Carey Stewart Fontaine

-------------Hunt ---------------------------------------------Tom Williams (can he be worse than Macca?)

---------------------------Elliot-------------------Johnson

------------------------------------Albert

-------------------------Pitman ----------Stead

Lets be solid at the back and starting winning the midfield again by having 3 in the middle, it worked last season. Remember we only changed at Coppells insistance

THIS! although I'd put JCR at left wing back, he was really good there last season

Ivan at AG is a very different player away from home.

He had a terrific game on saturday because he had licence to attack. He doesn't have that licence away from home. Usefull to bring on after and hour or so against tiring defenders so a place on the bench for him at Ipswich.

You never thought of any of that did you? but I'm not laughing at you.

to be honest no, i didn't think of any of that but hey, i'm still having a chuckle at you.

I'm with Robbored on this one in saying Sproule isn't worth a starting place away from home and he certainly isn't worth a starting place or on the bench in a 4-4-2 - definite liability in that formation. Ask Bradley Orr what it's like trying to defend with Ivan in front of you if you ever get the chance. He'll tell you straight - effing impossible.

I'me with Robbored and Cynic. Having said that , ISON has put forward a good starting eleven. As mentioned in other threads, Millen successfully used a 3-5-2 during his tenure last season.

You can re arrange those numbers any way you want. In the old days, it was 2-3-5, but that was usually played as a 3-4-3.. One of the front three being the playmaker in the hole. When Atyeo was at his peak, we played a 3-3-4, with one of the front 4 being just behind Atyeo. Atyeo only needed to be within 35 yards with half a chance and he would hammer the ball.

Sorry, I digress. The current team will change from week to week as injured players become available.

We cannot confuse Stead with Pitman, or Clarkeson with anybody. Still not sure about Clarkeson.

Pitman is an out and out striker and has to start, show us what you have young man, show us the 800,000 pounds value, are you better value than the 800,000 pounds Clarkeson

Stead is more of a holding forward, a player for assists and a 1 in 4 goal ratio. That puts him up against Clarkeson. Start with Pitman/Clarkeson, then Pitman/Stead. Same theory as putting Elliot and LJ together in a 4-4-2, A nightmare for Elliot.

................James

...............Johnson

Assuming skuse is unavailable and Ribs still unfit I would go with this but with JCR at left back.

subs

Clarkson

Akinde

Fonts

McAllister

Williams

Gerken and hopefully Cisse

I dont see that you can drop Clarkson after a decent performance on Saturday, he's fast becoming this seasons Lee Johnson. He has good touch and vision and to drop him after Saturday, especially at the expense of two new, untried signings, would absolutely shatter his confidence.

Im also slightly confused as to this fascination with Fontaine playing full back. He's a good centre back at this level who can be prone to lapses in concentration, anytime ive seen him opereate at full back he's looked every bit the centre back filling in and we shoudlnt be playing someone out of position who will do a fair job at the expense of someone who knows the position who will do an equally adequate job.

Presuming Carey, Riberio and Skuse are not fit to return;

James

Hunt Stewart Fontaine McAllister

Cisse

Sproule Elliott Adomah

Clarkson

Stead

Cisse offering the back four some much needed protection, something that has been desperately, and obviously lacking in our games so far.

Elliott has had an encouraging start to the season, showing the tenacity that has been lacking since his first season here. Whilst tempting to suggest he will/should offer protection for the back four, he is more a ball winning box to box midfielder who needs to be let off the leash rather than pigeon holed.

Stead upfront with Clarkson supporting, whch should hopefully see the ball stick.

Johnson showed a level of craft and vision that no-one else currently at the club, apart from Gavin Williams, possesses. It would appear that until January at least Lee Johnson will be our primary playmaker. However with protection for the back four a must, especially away from home, he starts on the bench.

EDIT: If Carey, Riberio and Skuse were fit then id substitue Carey for Fontaine, Skuse for Johnson - sacrificing Johnson's vision and range of passing for Skuse's energy, and play whoever is fitter from Hunt and Riberio.

Campbell-Ryce appears to have been asked to operate more centrally in the first few games, if he is to play, and I have absolutely no qualms with that as he's tricky and determined, he needs to be given a flank. Adomah has looked a steal so far, lively and real quality with both feet, while Sproule has clearly worked on his game and was a major threat on Saturday so no room for JCR in the starting XI.

................James

...............Johnson

When you think about how bad we've defended this season they need protection especially away from home. The midfield you've suggested is way to lightweight and we'd be over run .

-----------------James--------------------------

Edwards - Carey - Stewart - Fontaine

-------------Johnson - Cisse------------------

Sproule--------------------------------Adomah

--------------Pitman------------Stead------------

Subs -

Gerken

Maccy

Akinde (if he's not Bournemouth Bound)

Elliot

Clarkson

Williams

Jackson

-----------------James--------------------------

Edwards - Carey - Stewart - Fontaine

-------------Johnson - Cisse------------------

Sproule--------------------------------Adomah

--------------Pitman------------Stead------------

Subs -

Gerken

Maccy

Akinde (if he's not Bournemouth Bound)

Elliot

Clarkson

Williams

Jackson

You'd drop Elliott? Mental. Our only defensive ball winning central mid.

EDIT: If Carey, Riberio and Skuse were fit then id substitue Carey for Fontaine, Skuse for Johnson - sacrificing Johnson's vision and range of passing for Skuse's energy, and play whoever is fitter from Hunt and Riberio.

Please ignore that as it makes no sense!

Looking back at the team, with an eye on including Skuse, im really not sure where id fit him in right now. I wouldnt trust either him or Elliott to play a disciplined, holding role infront of the defense, which means the only player you could realistically leave out for him would be Elliott, however I wouldnt do that . . . .

Interesting decisions to be made, it would seem Skuse currently wouldnt make my team!

Apart, of course, from the two best seasons under Johnson (06/07 and 07/08) when we played a 4 man midfield with Lee Johnson in it.

I won't disagree that things stopped working after that and I'm not enough of a tactician to know why but it's wrong to say that a 4 man midfield with Johnson in it *can't* work, because I've seen it work. I just don't know how it worked or how to make it work again.

Archived