IGNORED

Not All Footballers The Same

matt1969bcfc

How good to see all players aren't the bad people the press make out!

Albert you are a top man ! My son was over the moon with the boot you gave him !

As was the other lad and the other girl you gave your astro boots to when she was gutted not to get a boot !

Thanks again although you will have to sign it for him again as the rain smudged it

Cheers Matt (& charlie)

Albert you are a top man ! My son was over the moon with the boot you gave him !

As was the other lad and the other girl you gave your astro boots to when she was gutted not to get a boot !

Thanks again although you will have to sign it for him again as the rain smudged it

Cheers Matt (& charlie)

This kid is doing all the right things, and is fast becoming a bit of a City hero, my favourite player already.

This kid is doing all the right things, and is fast becoming a bit of a City hero, my favourite player already.

To be honest - I've never encountered any City player who hasn't had time to have a chat to a fan - even when I accosted Danny Haynes in Asda he and his very nice girlfriend chatted for five minutes or so!(he even remembered me at the Open day:laugh:). I don't think we sign the 'Big Time Charlies' or if we do I've never been unfortunate enough to meet any of them.

To be honest - I've never encountered any City player who hasn't had time to have a chat to a fan - even when I accosted Danny Haynes in Asda he and his very nice girlfriend chatted for five minutes or so!(he even remembered me at the Open day:laugh:). I don't think we sign the 'Big Time Charlies' or if we do I've never been unfortunate enough to meet any of them.

tony thorpe, now he was a right cock.

great to hear that matt, the pr man must have been working overtime this saturday, what with albert giving his boots away and ivan after full time presenting his shirt to the ball boy who got him a bottle of water during the game. good stories to hear and great pr.

McIndoe!

Cheers Matt (& charlie)

Stories like this restore my faith. Good on you uncle albert

could stir the pot a bit and say we didn't sign them because GJ didn't like them. Its an interview do they fit in. To progress to the highest level we are going to sign some arrogant so and sos... That being said, I've seen the players after training taking time to speak to kids who have the knack of asking the strangest questions

Cheers Matt (& charlie)

This has reminded me of a time long ago when i was little and bumped into Johnnie Watkins in Sea Mills. I asked for his autograph and he offered to get everyones for me. I gave him my little book and he took my address. 3 DAYS LATER IT ARRIVED BACK WITH THE AUTOGRAPHS OF THE WHOLE CITY TEAM. John Atyeo on a page of his own next to his photo. I was 10 and i still have that little book. That is what it means to follow City.

Thats really great to hear... gestures like that can last a lifetime, mean so much & do so much for good player/club/football PR.

(comments though on Radio Bristol after Saturdays game seemed a little out of character regarding David James & an alleged refusal to sign an autograph for a young 5 yr old lad - his grandmother (I think) was with him & phoned into the show, sounded quite disgusted & disbelieving that it had happened & caused such upset.)

Twentyman commented that in his opinion no player has any excuse not to sign a few autographs on match days..

(perhaps DJ had already signed dozens ..who knows?)

Thats really great to hear... gestures like that can last a lifetime, mean so much & do so much for good player/club/football PR.

(comments though on Radio Bristol after Saturdays game seemed a little out of character regarding David James & an alleged refusal to sign an autograph for a young 5 yr old lad - his grandmother (I think) was with him & phoned into the show, sounded quite disgusted & disbelieving that it had happened & caused such upset.)

Twentyman commented that in his opinion no player has any excuse not to sign a few autographs on match days..

Its good people post on here about the good things footballers do esp at BCFC - all too often you only hear the negative, one person calling up a radio station vs the stuff that goes unreported but means the world to those who recieve these gestures.

I was at the stadium at the time. Dj didn't stop for anyone he just drove straight into the car park. (probably getting into the zone) However after the game he signed for everyone who was waiting.

Danny Haynes top lad he was walking out of David Lloyd my wife asked if he'd mind waiting for my 9 year old to sign his City shirt, he not only waited but then offered to go back into the changing rooms and get the other City lads in there to sign.

And I agree most players etc are friendly enough. Bumped into Graham Taylor in a restaurant after Germany beat England in South Africa, asked his views on England players Rooney in particular, expected a one word answer to my surprise he engaged in an in-depth analysis and his views on the way English football is run in general. Sorry not City of course but I think in general the majority of people involved in football are good guys.

I don't get to meet many City players living in Manchester...

Did meet Tamas Priskin in a Sainsburys and he was happy to chat about Watford for ages. His little brother was a bit of a git though.

Met Shay Given in a club, he refused to chat to anyone and was asking the bouncers to chuck out anyone that tried.

Ashley Young bought me a drink in a club once.

Neil Cox joined in with me and my mates playing football in the park then called Heider Helguson and got him to come down (his house backed onto the park)

I liked this about Adomah... ref Blackpool,.... again...

In July 2009 Adomah was linked with a transfer to Championship side Blackpool.[5] On the final day of the transfer window, Barnet chairman Tony Kleanthous revealed that talks with Blackpool broke down two hours before the deadline rofl2br.gif Olly... what is it about you man?.. do you have bad breath or something?!!!

He was never a big time charlie but he thought he was the year we came up under John Ward, at the open day i got every player to sign my shirt when i finialy got hold of Greg Goodridge he told me he was to busy and had 3 security guards around him, never being shy or short of anything to say i shouted out ohh well dont matter because your **** and your be sold soon so no loss ya **** ,

Was having a kick around with some mates on the Downs in the 70s when I was a kid. One of my shots went, as usual, a bit wide of the jumpers, but a kind passer by kicked it back with a precision pass. Looked up to say thanks. My jaw dropped to see that it was none other than Geoff Merrick, a hero of the time. I already had City in the blood, but gestures like these do help to make the ties that bind.

As I mentioned on another tread. Nicky Maynard was great with the fans after the Barnsley game. I have a great shot of him with his arm round my 11 year old's shoulder, which now adourns the collection on the kitchen wall.

Stuff the Manures, UP THE CITY!

I once met Clive Whitehead ( right winger 1970's for all you you young'uns) at the now defunct Bristol Wine Fair at the old Watershed Exhibition Centre in about 1982 or 83.

He had recently retired then, had a good chat (over a few glasses of wine of course) and he was a complete gentleman. Very nice bloke. Anyone know what has happened to him since those far off days ?

Again, for the youngsters on here, he had the pace of Sproule in those days but (generally, not always) his final cross was better than our Ivan.

I once met Clive Whitehead ( right winger 1970's for all you you young'uns) at the now defunct Bristol Wine Fair at the old Watershed Exhibition Centre in about 1982 or 83.

He had recently retired then, had a good chat (over a few glasses of wine of course) and he was a complete gentleman. Very nice bloke. Anyone know what has happened to him since those far off days ?

Again, for the youngsters on here, he had the pace of Sproule in those days but (generally, not always) his final cross was better than our Ivan.

Yep, he was the best winger i have seen at AG, albeit only a nipper at the time. Pritchard was pretty good too but Whitehead was the real deal. Not sure where he is now.

He was a scout at the club during the early 90s under Lumsden I think. Not sure what he did after that.

Yep, he was the best winger i have seen at AG, albeit only a nipper at the time. Pritchard was pretty good too but Whitehead was the real deal. Not sure where he is now.

CORRECTION ! Just remembered our conversation. Clive was not retired from football at that time. He was then playing for West Brom and back in town that night (It's all coming back to me through an alcoholic haze after all these years).

I bumped into him in London a few years ago at a PFA meeting. He was the South West Regional rep - not sure if it was full time. I remember when we beat Coventry 5-0 in the old First Division and he was totally unplayable. As he was when we beat Man City 1-0 - the famous Mike Doyle "not good enough to clean our boots quote"!!!!!!!!!! :rofl2br:

I bumped into him in London a few years ago at a PFA meeting. He was the South West Regional rep - not sure if it was full time. I remember when we beat Coventry 5-0 in the old First Division and he was totally unplayable. As he was when we beat Man City 1-0 - the famous Mike Doyle "not good enough to clean our boots quote"!!!!!!!!!! :rofl2br:

Pretty certain Clive is living in Weare in Somerset, I have played cricket against him a couple of times and my uncle skittles with him. Really good bloke.

Going back to when I was at school, Norman Hunter had a sports shop on gilda parade in Whitchurch and the shops backed onto our school field, I had gone in the shop many times looking at a new pair of boots, his wife ran the shop and she put them back for me until I had saved up enough money and when I went into collect them she had got Norman to be there, he was such a great guy, proper defender, not afraid to get some skin on his boots!!. He even came over to the school to watch a cup game.

Archived