IGNORED

Not All Footballers The Same

matt1969bcfc

Met Mcindoe a few times and always had time for a chat or to sign pics, top bloke. Not really came across any City players who wer'nt willing to sign stuff or have a chat. The new players all seem good lads especially Cisse and Tom Williams. Probably the nicest one of the lot would have been Chris Weale and the only one who could be a bit funny would be one of our ex-managers.

I once went out for a few beers with Rob Del Naja and he brought out Paul Agostino & Mark Shail. My abiding memory of the evening was being on the Thekla with them towards the end of the night, Mark Shail slumped on the floor by the bar completely hammered, while I was doing the can can either side of 3D and Aggo! Good times.

After our wembely defeat, was it 3 years ago?

Meaning I was 10.

Leroy Rossiner was walking behind us to the hilton (where my father, and leroy, and a few other ex city stars we're staying)

He came up to me and asked if I wanted his VIP pass as a lil summit'

Made my day :laugh::)

Leroy.. class.. Liam, on the other hand?.. hmmmm. had he been there he would probably have grabbed if back off you. Little squirt.

I saw Andy Cole in Jaspers years back and said "hello Andy, im a City fan and I just wanted to say thanks for the goals you've scored for us". He just grunted, and turnt his back on me. Arrogant bugger.

Other than that, all the footballers I have ever met have been sound, with Bryan Robson being the nicest.

This kid is doing all the right things, and is fast becoming a bit of a City hero, my favourite player already.

He puts in effort on the pitch trys really hard and is happy to communicate 1 to 1 with fans - we don't really ask for much and if these things are done your going to be a hero.

Not a city player but I met Frank Lampard out in a bar in Ibiza last summer, tried to get a photo with him but security were having none of it. One of my mates, being a cheeky bugger asked him if he would buy us a round of drinks :laugh:. Had a quick chat with Frank as well, seemed like a good fella but secruity moved us on fairly sharpish!

Rob Newman...

Absolute legend met him about a year ago about 2am in the main bar/club area in Norwich I shouted "Biffa bristol city" He came over gave me a massive bear hug and shouted "your a long way from home aint you kid" proceeded to talk about City for about 10 minutes with his group of friends all waiting, in the end I had to say better let you enjoy your night Rob! Robs never mentioned on this forum and i dont know why a true city legend in my opinion along with Bob Taylor. Ok biggest ars*hole by far kenny dalglish refusing to sign 5 year olds autograph as was sulking after liverpool had lost pathetic!!

Rob Newman...

Absolute legend met him about a year ago about 2am in the main bar/club area in Norwich I shouted "Biffa bristol city" He came over gave me a massive bear hug and shouted "your a long way from home aint you kid" proceeded to talk about City for about 10 minutes with his group of friends all waiting, in the end I had to say better let you enjoy your night Rob! Robs never mentioned on this forum and i dont know why a true city legend in my opinion along with Bob Taylor. Ok biggest ars*hole by far kenny dalglish refusing to sign 5 year olds autograph as was sulking after liverpool had lost pathetic!!

That's a great story about Rob Newman; he was an awesome player.

When I was a young kid I met the old keeper John Shaw at a charity cricket match and played cricket with him for a while, which was brilliant fun for a youngster. I remembered that my parents said they knew him at school, so mentioned them. He had no recollection of them, which I was gutted about at the time .I went home and accused my parents of lying, when they told me that it was Ray Cashley they went to school with. My mistake. Also met Mark Gavin in a club on park Street. He was really polite and civil, but clearly desperate to get back to the blonde who was chatting him up. I've not met the current team, but great to hear so many good stories.

When Nicky got his Golden Boot from us lot at the end of season awards back in May, I went up to him at the end because I needed to ask him what he wanted done with the remainder of the money. He was genuinely touched, he kept saying "you shouldn't have done that" and was really sweet about the whole thing. You could see what it meant to him.

My Mum got chatting to Billy Mercer at the Supporters Trust launch back in 2005, and he was very nice, when he told her he wasn't playing at the moment because he'd hurt his groin, she asked him if he wanted it rubbed better. I did nearly die on the spot, but he just laughed. :blush:

I was at the stadium at the time. Dj didn't stop for anyone he just drove straight into the car park. (probably getting into the zone) However after the game he signed for everyone who was waiting.

The woman who phoned Radio Bristol (Chris?) was a nasty piece of work by the sound of her - couldn't wait to slag off Jamo. Total idiot - along with Terry from Shirehampton who was spouting more drivel about how awful the whole City team is.

If I didn't have so far to drive home I'd stop and call Geoff - instead I just end up shouting at the radio :grr:

tony thorpe, now he was a right cock.

great to hear that matt, the pr man must have been working overtime this saturday, what with albert giving his boots away and ivan after full time presenting his shirt to the ball boy who got him a bottle of water during the game. good stories to hear and great pr.

funny you should mention Tony Thorpe, I went to the Worcestershire cup final: kidderminster harriers vs halesowen. He parked next to me, though i didnt realise at first. I started chatting to a mate and he then walked over to me and asked if I was bristolian. He said he knew by my accent! He then introduced himself, and we had a good 15 minute chat. One of the nicest people I've met in football is Andy Tilson. I was very lucky being able to work under him for a short period during his time at teambath.

Albert, Marlon and Joe Lennox are all top guys. The same goes for Cisse, Gerken, Johnson and Gavin Williams.

Hey Tommy, how do you meet all these players when you live in Sweden and only get to two or three games a season I believe.

Impressed !

By the way, which games are you planning to see this season ? I think the seats behind us in Dolman Block A row 15 have not been sold to season ticket holders again this season, so maybe see you there again this season as we did for the Notts Forest game last season.

tony thorpe, now he was a right cock.

great to hear that matt, the pr man must have been working overtime this saturday, what with albert giving his boots away and ivan after full time presenting his shirt to the ball boy who got him a bottle of water during the game. good stories to hear and great pr.

Thorpe used to drink in my local on a sunday pm, with Keith Millen, Bell, TIns. Murrey etc. He was sound as a pound and him and his old man used to buy the beers more often than not so i cant agree with you HDucky

I saw Andy Cole in Jaspers years back and said "hello Andy, im a City fan and I just wanted to say thanks for the goals you've scored for us". He just grunted, and turnt his back on me. Arrogant bugger.

Other than that, all the footballers I have ever met have been sound, with Bryan Robson being the nicest.

An away game at Portsmouth ( we won 3-2 ) andy cole got off the coach and headed towards the turnstiles by mistake. A young kid said to him " ANdy if you go in that way you might have to pay" He turned around and said to the young lad ( 9 or 10 ) " I WOULDN'T PAY TO WATCH THIS SH*T " then stormed off towards the dressing room . The young lad was quite upset. Wot a t****r

could stir the pot a bit and say we didn't sign them because GJ didn't like them. Its an interview do they fit in. To progress to the highest level we are going to sign some arrogant so and sos... That being said, I've seen the players after training taking time to speak to kids who have the knack of asking the strangest questions

I'd ask em...... what sticks do you use....... but hey I am a drummer and ex wannabe pop star of yesteryear!

No reference to injuries :)

Do any of our team play drums to a semi or professional level?

We just need to know you know :)

During the France'98 World Cup the Holland squad (and wags) made use one day of our holiday complex in Juan Les Pins and were mingling with us around the swimming pool. One of my mates was/is an Arsenal fan and didn't have the bottle to get Marc Overmars to sign his Gooner shirt, so I ended up asking him to sign it. He was really pleasant and accomodating despite it being the squad's relaxation time. I was wearing my City shirt (the one with the Lotto logo on the neck - the 'vicar' top I call it) and he even had a short chat about City. Top bloke.

Back in the early 90's I was at a testimonial dinner, I think for Gary Mabbutt, when Glen Hoddle (then manager at Swindon) asked me who I support. When I said Bristol City he smirked and said, "I suppose someone has to" - bloody cheek, and I don't think he was joking.

Later that evening Tommy Docherty was offered some raffle tickets by a young lady - he replied "no thanks love, I never win anything" to which I said "I have heard that about you" - he was not impressed at all!

Why don't managers have a sence of hunour?

Back in the early 90's I was at a testimonial dinner, I think for Gary Mabbutt, when Glen Hoddle (then manager at Swindon) asked me who I support. When I said Bristol City he smirked and said, "I suppose someone has to" - bloody cheek, and I don't think he was joking.

Later that evening Tommy Docherty was offered some raffle tickets by a young lady - he replied "no thanks love, I never win anything" to which I said "I have heard that about you" - he was not impressed at all!

Why don't managers have a sence of hunour?

I once saw Tommy Docherty do an after dinner speech at a function in Manchester and he was deeply EMBARRASSING !

All his jokes fell flat and even his stories about his (brief) period as Man U Manager were poor. It was so bad he got booed during his speech.

I think he had made the bad mistake of having a drink (or three) before speaking.

Having done that sort of thing myself, the rule is, get p...sed after you finish, not before

Scotty was always a top bloke - as no doubt many of you know. My son went to a birthday party in Clevedon aged 9 - Scotty played five a side with the lads for over an hour. Often saw him around Worle - Sainsbury's cafe I remember. A City legend and a genuine great guy.

Much further back I remember the City lads in the early 70's used to often come into my grandad's Jack Tully betting shop in North Street after training. Chris Garland, Alan Skirton, Trevor Tainton and others. I was only seven or eight but remember them being great blokes. Of course nobody was corrupted by money then..

The arrogant sods I remember : Gould, Thorpe, Cole, Rosenior junior, Cotterill, Mabbutt, McIndoe, and above all..Lita ..mostly didn't stay too long (maybe Thorpe excepted..still a cocky little sh*t though..at least he and Lita scored a few)

I once met Clive Whitehead ( right winger 1970's for all you you young'uns) at the now defunct Bristol Wine Fair at the old Watershed Exhibition Centre in about 1982 or 83.

He had recently retired then, had a good chat (over a few glasses of wine of course) and he was a complete gentleman. Very nice bloke. Anyone know what has happened to him since those far off days ?

Again, for the youngsters on here, he had the pace of Sproule in those days but (generally, not always) his final cross was better than our Ivan.

From what I've heard and been told, he lives the not far from the Cheddar area and is a financial advisor and apparently has a good few footballers on his list of client's.

As kids back in the early 70s, we used to go up on the Downs on a Saturday morning for a kick about in the nets. We would usually end up with a couple of dozen playing a match. One morning, a bloke came up and asked if he and his 2 sons could join in with us. Certainly, we said, so it was that Ray Mabbutt and his 2 sons Gary and Kevin joined in with us. Even at their young ages, probably about 14 and 12, they were obviously gifted players. I like to think I helped in their development!!

Just before the friendly against clevedon a fair few years back now I asked Leroy Lita for his boots and he said come see me in the bar after the game and I'll sort you out and he did gave me a pair of Nike vapours.

I've always had a lot of time for matty hill and is my all time favourite city player, he would always spare you some time to talk to you, we asked him to come and present trophies at an end of season presentation and he said yes straight away, also when I was mascot at Swindon when he scored his first goal for the club he looked after me during the warm up!

Scott Murray is a legend when he used to live in Weston, my gramps was ill so dad couldn't take me so popped over his house in morning of the game and asked if it was possible to give me a lift and he was like no problem! Great guy!

Thats really great to hear... gestures like that can last a lifetime, mean so much & do so much for good player/club/football PR.

(comments though on Radio Bristol after Saturdays game seemed a little out of character regarding David James & an alleged refusal to sign an autograph for a young 5 yr old lad - his grandmother (I think) was with him & phoned into the show, sounded quite disgusted & disbelieving that it had happened & caused such upset.)

Twentyman commented that in his opinion no player has any excuse not to sign a few autographs on match days..

(perhaps DJ had already signed dozens ..who knows?)

To be fair to David James, he doesn't seem to sign many autographs pre-match, but for years (From his first season at Portsmouth no less) he has a whole pre-match routine he does and he doesn't like it being interrupted. It's just a case of when you can catch him I think...

Archived