IGNORED

Ipswich Pubs

ralphindevon

My first game of the season on Saturday and a new ground, the 60th I have seen City play on.

I've never been anywhere near Ipswich and was wandering if anyone knows of a good pub for away fans.

As any expat will tell you, when you do get back to England the food and drink you have is of huge importance.

It's only a flying visit and from past experiences I want to make sure I get to the right pub, drink the best ale and eat the nicest fish and chips in town.

Any suggestion please. :yawn:

• Admin

TAKEN FROM INTERNET GROUNDS GUIDE:

The main away supporters pub for many a season, the 'Drum & Monkey', has now declared itself a 'home supporters only' pub, following refurbishment. This makes the choice of drinking establishments for away fans very limited. The Station Hotel, which is near to the ground and train station, is where most visiting supporters will congregate. Otherwise the Punch & Judy pub on Cardinal Park, which is close to the ground has also been recommended to me as a pub which is family orientated and where both sets of fans can enjoy a drink. Other pubs in the area such as the Victoria, the Hare & Hounds and the Swan, are very much home pubs and are best avoided by visiting fans.

If you arrive in good time then you can take the walk into the town centre where there are plenty of pubs to be found. Of particular note is the CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed, Lord Nelson in Fore Street. Which is an interesting pub that sells Adnams beers. Otherwise alcohol is on sale inside the ground in the form of bitter and lager, at �3.10 per pint, plus Aspall Suffolk Cyder. Please note that alcohol is not available to away fans at half time.

"The Station Hotel, which is near to the ground and train station, is where most visiting supporters will congregate."

That pub is where the Police prefer visitting fans to drink. It's opposite the railway station and 5 mins walk from the ground.

Drivers please note there are only 6 speed cameras in all of Suffolk and NONE in Ipswich. I asked a local why and he replied "It's democracy in action". The locals don't want them and any Councillor suggesting, let alone voting for their introduction would lose his seat at the next local elections. Despite that there are no daily reports of multi vehicle pile ups or mass pedestrian deaths in Ipswich.

Archived