IGNORED

Only 380 At Ipswich

publandlord

I dont think its disgracefull that they wont pay £50? For a ticket plus the cost of travelling. Fans are getting sick and tired of the high costs of tickets etc.

We all know Wigan have a small fanbase, its only because of there owner that they are where they are.

And that is what is disgraceful. That a club with no support can be up in the prem because of Dave Whelan and TV rights money.

Any team in the Championship would bring more to the premier league than bloody Wigan.

Fans can go to games whenever they want, and obviously long trips and extorionate prices, as were evident yesterday, will have a big effect. It does piss me off when fans don't go if we're on a bad run though, but are there every week when we're getting promoted. I mean that's not exacty support now is it?

Do you only go to games to watch us win?

This seems a strange attitude given that "we" are Bristol City. city.gif

Strangely, I'd say that my favourite City games are ones that we have lost.

PS No, I didn't go to Ipswich.

Why deliberately antagonise and question other fan's commitment, especially when you haven't read my post properly?

To use your words "it seems a strange attitude given that 'we' are Bristol City?"

Read my post again - or to spell it out for you:

I inferred that one of the reasons why fans didn't travel in droves to Ipswich was because anyone could see that we were on a loser to Ipswich. In fact, had I been a betting man (which I'm not), I would've put my shirt on it.

Like it or not, this club only attracts a large fanbase when we are successful.

At no time did I say I only went to games to watch City win.

ps. I rarely travel to away games - my 'commitment' to BCFC being so weak that I'm only prepared to buy a Season Ticket, but not prepared to devote a whole Saturday travelling to other grounds. Sorry about that, I guess I'll have to join Opus Dei and wear a cilice 24 hours a day as a penance.

Mate I don't think that 388 fans isn't that bad, considering that it's the bank holiday so most people will be on holiday.

The prices yes wasn't cheap (my first away game of the season) total of £62 and spending a good combined 11hrz on a coach. It proves that some fans still believe and get behind the team.

Me personally won't be going to ipswitch again because of prices -been there done that

Get behind the team and don't have a go at the fans who didn't go because we all have our reasons

Unless there was something riding on the game I wouldn't pay £31 / £33 to get put into the corner of one of Ipswich's stands out of principle. Going to away matches shouldn't be a duty it should be because you fancy the game or fancy a day out with the lads / family.

I think the cost of football now has made following the team blindly a growing thing of the past for most people.

i remember coming on this site when I got back from Middlesbrough last January, I had messages saying fair play for going and all that, especially since it was a few days after the 0-6 cardiff game.

i didn't consider myself more of a fan than anyone else just because I went and many others didn't.

I made a list of places I wanted to go during the season and budgeted accordingly.

Not everyone has the same financial commitments / family duties / work schedule etc.

I wont accept fans slagging off others fans just because they didn't go to 1 away match.

I was at Ipswich and I say fair play to everyone else who made the long treck, but just because people didn't go doesn't mean they're not true city fans. The coach was £29! Rip off IMO and almost had second thoughts. Hopefully we'll take close to 500 to scunny but I won't hold my breath. And yes I will be attending scunny and will be purchasing my ticket tomorrow :)

For all those who are saying Ipswich was a shit view, I will stop you there. It was a great view high up say upper dolmand on the side.

The dedication of the 378 who made the incredibly long journey deserved there ovation from the Ipswich fans, more than I can say for that over rated shit we had in goal!

For all those who are saying Ipswich was a shit view, I will stop you there. It was a great view high up say upper dolmand on the side.

The dedication of the 378 who made the incredibly long journey deserved there ovation from the Ipswich fans, more than I can say for that over rated shot we had in goal!

For me, a return flight, 1hour 50 each way, Stansted express return, London to Ipswich return and two nights hotel.

That I accept because of where I live.

But to get charged £33.50 to get in, yes an extra £2.50 for not buying in advance is ridiculous money. Over £300 just to see us lose but hey, I'm used to it by now.

Also it was £3.50 a pint in the away pub by the station, that seemed a bit much but perhaps it's me being out of England for too long.

The bar staff did have "I love Bristol City T-shirts" though, so I suppose we had to pay for them.

All in all I think 400 away fans aint too bad.

I tell you what reading through this thread, If clubs actually charged £10-20 for matches I think that you'd see crowds go up again, £33 is a lot of anyones money, especially the working class which many football supporters fall into.

I'm actually quite pleased that Wigan only took 60 fans, these prices are now beyond a joke in my opinion so hopefully one day there will be further breakthroughs.

Also as someone has stated football is an easy habit to get out of, we rarely see too much attacking football, just basic stuff would be enough plus in most games so far this season the players have acted like spoilt kids and have barely bothered trying, using the Coppell thing as an excuse, you wonder if Coppell had the right idea in calling it a day

Why deliberately antagonise and question other fan's commitment, especially when you haven't read my post properly?

To use your words "it seems a strange attitude given that 'we' are Bristol City?"

Read my post again - or to spell it out for you:

I inferred that one of the reasons why fans didn't travel in droves to Ipswich was because anyone could see that we were on a loser to Ipswich. In fact, had I been a betting man (which I'm not), I would've put my shirt on it.

Like it or not, this club only attracts a large fanbase when we are successful.

At no time did I say I only went to games to watch City win.

ps. I rarely travel to away games - my 'commitment' to BCFC being so weak that I'm only prepared to buy a Season Ticket, but not prepared to devote a whole Saturday travelling to other grounds. Sorry about that, I guess I'll have to join Opus Dei and wear a cilice 24 hours a day as a penance.

Heavens, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?

I now see, having read your post properly, that you were giving a general impression of the City community and that, at no stage ever, should this impression be attributed to you.

I apologise if my post, which did not in any way question your commitment to City, offended you.

PS I rarely attend away games either but I'm not getting into this Opus Dei stuff unless self-flagellation is involved.

I didn't see a single City fan on the train to Paddington (shed load of Spurs and Swindle fans though) or on the train from Liverpool Street to Ipswich, or in the pub before the game (I saw all these things before last season's game) so to be honest I was amazed anyone was actually there at all when I got into the ground. Once inside it seemed like a decent enough turn out but then I'm useless at reading crowd size, and was surprised when they said only 380.

But it's hardly the end of the world nor an insult to Steve Lansdown, the entrance fee at Portman Road is excessive and if I didn't have a season ticket on the train for the London portion of the trip I wouldn't have bothered either as I only got back to Bristol at 11pm on Friday night after a six hour trip in the opposite direction to the one I made on Saturday morning! The real disgrace to me is the number of people who went who are on here slagging off David James.

Yeah, he was cr*p, get over it, but people singling him out for not coming over to applaud them for turning up - if you only go on long away runs to get your **** sucked by the City players then don't bother going, that's not what they're there for. If you ask me, James' reaction was precisely of someone who does care, not someone who doesn't care. Anyone can stink the place up all afternoon then wander over and clap blindly at fans, maybe James was a little more circumspect.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, because I can't be bothered to read the arguments above, but it was also festival weekend, with Leeds festival, Reading festival and Creamfields all on that weekend, a lot of youngters would have been away, including myself (Creamfields), not able to attend the game, which also means no money in the bank. My excuse anyway...

Archived