IGNORED

Watching City And Rovers

Red Rag

Reading the recent Akinde to Rovers thread i was stunned by the level of hatred expressed towards the Rovers.

Be it just bravado or real, the replies were venomous.Got me thinking just how many of us are still around who

used to watch City at home one week then Rovers at home the following week, perhaps some of you still do.

Many years ago it was as normal as fish and chips for me to turn up with some mates at a Rovers game and give

genuine support to the Rovers, I can assure you disbelievers it was common place back then. To this day I occasionally

go to a Rovers match and want them to win. Please do not get me wrong, should the two meet I will be as passionate

about a City win as anyone of you reading this.

Am I alone? Or are there other soles out there who remember these days.

I use to go and watch Rovers, if I was free on a Saturday and if City were away but these days with a mrs and work I just dont have as much free time as I use to. Will also watch Forest Green when I can as well.

At the end of the day I enjoy watching football and its live football, much prefer it to watching Premier League live on TV.

Wouldn't be seen dead anywhere near the minimal patch when the gas are playing (unless they're playing us). I don't get going to see teams you don't support I've had the chance for Man utd and Villa tickets but as I couldn't care less who wins I wouldn't go.

Used to get freebies in the 90's, although I stopped going when they got relegated - Even free it just wasn't worth wasting a night on basement football.

Was in the home end that night Phillips saved a last min pen, although being present when Wycombe sent them down was a better night. Grown men were crying, hystericle.

[quote name=mcbcfc' timestamp='1283351791' post='1282686]

Wouldn't be seen dead anywhere near the minimal patch when the gas are playing (unless they're playing us). I don't get going to see teams you don't support I've had the chance for Man utd and Villa tickets but as I couldn't care less who wins I wouldn't go.

[/quote

And I don't get what it is you don't get. Some people have a lifelong love of the game and enjoy watching it when they're no longer young enough and fit enough to play themselves. Is this a crime these days? Somebody offers you tickets to watch one of the best club sides in Europe and some of the most talented players in the country and you "couldn't care less". I don't know what it is that draws you to Ashton Gate on a regular basis, then, but it's clearly not an enthusiasm for the sport.

Primitive tribalism, perhaps? We've seen plenty of evidence of that on the site in recent days - and an ugly, nasty sight it is, too, when one of our own players, not to mention our manager, is villified by spiteful, small minded bigots masquarading as football supporters. I have held back until now from participating in any of the distateful slanging matches that have been raging over this and other, similar issues, but I reacted to your post because you've revealed, unknowingly I suspect, the mindset that underlies much of the bile that's been spewed forth on the site lately.

You may not be a football hooligan yourself, but your attitudes are no different from theirs and your motives for following City appear to be little different from those of the morons who attacked a Millwall coach a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't be so eager to publicise it if I were you. It says more about you than you meant to disclose and it's nothing to be proud of.

Was in the away end when Phillips saved that penalty, man alive it rained that night!

Used to get freebies in the 90's, although I stopped going when they got relegated - Even free it just wasn't worth wasting a night on basement football.

Was in the home end that night Phillips saved a last min pen, although being present when Wycombe sent them down was a better night. Grown men were crying, hystericle.

Gas - "getting wet, getting wet, getting wet"

City - "going down, going down, going down"

Haha superb!

Didn't it ever, never been so wet at a game, lost a shoe in the ensuing celebration aswel so had to walk back to the car with one soaking wet foot! Good times......

Tribal hatred of Rovers is just silly. I'd much rather see people walking around this part of the West Country wearing Blue and White quarters than Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal...and, this season, Spurs' shirts... Come to that., I don't mind seeing youngsters wear Swindon, Yeovil, Cheltenham, Bath City, Forest Green shirts, either...it shows a passion and loyalty for local football. Didn't we get just a bit excited when Paulton Rovers met Norwich in the cup, last season? I'm CTID, and follow our club with a passion, but can't be bothered with those silly chants at AG "If you hate the Gas, stand up"! I'd rather put my energy into shouting for the only team that really matters... :chant6ez::englandsmile4wf:

Totally agree with you Cliftoncliff on the sickeninig tribalism on recent posts.

I was one of those in the sixties, growing up with three gashead brothers in Filton, who walked to Eastville one Saturday and then took the special bus or train to Ashton the next week.

The atmosphere of the East End and Mike Gibson "hanging" from the crossbar, plus the more exciting entertainment ,ensured that I was and always will be a City fan at heart!

Easier to get to away games, (and my mate got a car!) changed the cycle in my teens and City both weekends followed.

Like many posters, I enjoy the live spectacle of football, even going to a Newport County v Chester (1 - 0) game one Boxing Day when City were snowed off.

I even went with my mate (when we were both about 10) on the train to Cardiff to see Brian Clark (ex-City) play in a European Cup match against Juventus?, and score if I remember correctly.

Nothing like live football and sometimes it's even better as a neutral as I was at Eastville all those years ago.

Reading the recent Akinde to Rovers thread i was stunned by the level of hatred expressed towards the Rovers.

Be it just bravado or real, the replies were venomous.Got me thinking just how many of us are still around who

used to watch City at home one week then Rovers at home the following week, perhaps some of you still do.

Many years ago it was as normal as fish and chips for me to turn up with some mates at a Rovers game and give

genuine support to the Rovers, I can assure you disbelievers it was common place back then. To this day I occasionally

go to a Rovers match and want them to win. Please do not get me wrong, should the two meet I will be as passionate

I go to see both city and rovers and have seen both this season already. One half of my family are city, the others rovers. Although i am more city, i still go to rovers and support them as i love football and want bristol football to do well. If im on holiday i may see the local team, ive seen norwhich, wigan etc because i just love football in general.

my dad used to take me to see rovers if city weren't home. the fact is, not everyone can afford or justify long away trips and for a lot of people, they love the game of football and doing something together with family or mates, rather than making it tribal. i never subscribed to the idea of hating someone just because they support their local club, or discouraging a local club from trying to be succesful.

since i moved away from bristol i have gone to watch local football wherever i have lived which changes nothing in the fact i am a bcfc fan, i simply love the game and want to experience it live and wherever i live i want to show a bit of support for the local teams there and expand my knowledge of the game. wherever you go, football fans (at least the ones who have grown out of the tribal hatred stage) are the same as everyone else, people who have to work mon-fri to support their families and just want to show their passion for their local side on a saturday, and that certianly doesn't mean you have to smash their head in just because they were born somewhere else than you

Personally I think most footie fans don't feel much genuine hatred for their supposed rivals, especially when they are lower league rivals such as Rovers are to Bristol City.

I think there is a bit of bravado whereby some Bristol City fans need to be seen to hate Bristol Rovers, the same way some Cardiff fans want to be seen to hate Swansea.

Hate is a strong word, best reserved for child abusers. A healthy rivalry is a great thing, but I wouldn't think twice about watching a supposed rival for a day out. Something different innit!

I bet there is a healthy bunch who would happily see Bristol City and Bristol Rovers win their league this year. Getting them to admit it is another thing.

The only time I have ever been to the mem is when City have played there.

Personally I couldn't imagine watching them as a neutral, but thats probably me being from a different generation.

Although my next live football match wont be a City one. I'm off to Wembley on Friday englandsmile4wf.gif

Tribal hatred of Rovers is just silly. I'd much rather see people walking around this part of the West Country wearing Blue and White quarters than Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal...and, this season, Spurs' shirts... Come to that., I don't mind seeing youngsters wear Swindon, Yeovil, Cheltenham, Bath City, Forest Green shirts, either...it shows a passion and loyalty for local football. Didn't we get just a bit excited when Paulton Rovers met Norwich in the cup, last season? I'm CTID, and follow our club with a passion, but can't be bothered with those silly chants at AG "If you hate the Gas, stand up"! I'd rather put my energy into shouting for the only team that really matters... :chant6ez::englandsmile4wf:

I couldn't agree more, would far rather someone in Bristol followed the Gas than Man U.

Totally agree with you Cliftoncliff on the sickeninig tribalism on recent posts.

I was one of those in the sixties, growing up with three gashead brothers in Filton, who walked to Eastville one Saturday and then took the special bus or train to Ashton the next week.

The atmosphere of the East End and Mike Gibson "hanging" from the crossbar, plus the more exciting entertainment ,ensured that I was and always will be a City fan at heart!

Easier to get to away games, (and my mate got a car!) changed the cycle in my teens and City both weekends followed.

Like many posters, I enjoy the live spectacle of football, even going to a Newport County v Chester (1 - 0) game one Boxing Day when City were snowed off.

I even went with my mate (when we were both about 10) on the train to Cardiff to see Brian Clark (ex-City) play in a European Cup match against Juventus?, and score if I remember correctly.

Nothing like live football and sometimes it's even better as a neutral as I was at Eastville all those years ago.

[quote name=mcbcfc' timestamp='1283351791' post='1282686]

[/quote

Primitive tribalism, perhaps? We've seen plenty of evidence of that on the site in recent days - and an ugly, nasty sight it is, too, when one of our own players, not to mention our manager, is villified by spiteful, small minded bigots masquarading as football supporters. I have held back until now from participating in any of the distateful slanging matches that have been raging over this and other, similar issues, but I reacted to your post because you've revealed, unknowingly I suspect, the mindset that underlies much of the bile that's been spewed forth on the site lately.

That's completely over the top Cliff.

I can't stand Rovers and you'll just have to take my word for it that it's absolutely possible to feel that way without having any violent or hooligan tendencies whatsoever.

I take great pleasure in their defeats, and am irritated by their seemingly regular last minute equalisers, abundance of penalties etc.

I detest their club song and the very sight of their shirts.

I don't like them one bit and hope they get thrashed every week. I sincerely hope they are relegated.

I certainly wouldn't ever pay to watch them without being 100% behind their opposition.

That assuredly does NOT mean I would ever want to punch one of their fans. It's not that sort of "hate".

That's an entirely different sort of feeling reserved for yobs who would feel the same urge whether it was Rovers or Cardiff, Swansea, Stoke, Mjllwall or anyone else they could use as an excuse for violence.

It's not complicated or in any way shameful as far as I'm concerned - I'm a Bristol City fan, I don't like Bristol Rovers, never have, never will.

That's all there is to it, and I'm pretty sure most posters on here who you would seek to label as "bigots" share those feelings, and nothing more.

P.S.Like the poster you have picked out, I haven't got the slightest interest in going to watch a live Premier League game either. I watch it on T.V. and nine times out of 10 it does absolutely nothing for me.

Our Grandfather used to watch City and Rovers but he was more of a City supporter and he was from St Judes Bristol originally. I understand that when City played Rovers, both sets of supporters used to sing the club songs together. A real blast from the distant past because that would never happen these days.

Will not attend the Mem full stop Will not give them my money.Hate the Rovers and everything they stand for .

I still have a cheque from Dunsford (the dad) after complaining about being herded in the open end at Eastville whilst the rest of Eastville was nearly empty or so it seemed at the time .

Yes i do hate them not dislike HATE with a passion there supporters attacked me and my girlfriend at the time and put us both in hospital .Police told us there were around 8 of them and we were attacked from behind Fkin heros ,i still have scars on my head .So yes i do Hate them and will never ever forgive them for what they done especially to my girlfriend of the time .

I am old enough to realise that it happend a long time ago and not every Gas head is the same .... allelegedly

Call me sad and bitter tell to get over it .I HAVE TRIED BUT JUST CANT.

My problem i dont go around attacking Rovers fans because of what they done .I just will not attend any ground where the Rovers have a financial interest.

Oh and Cliff i am not a holligan and never have been i have a very well paid responsible job I just harbour this Hate for Rovers the team fans shirt and as for that song ggrrrr

what a coincidence!i too went to newport v chester when city were snowed off.was in the newport end but happy chester sneaked a 1-0 win thanks to grenville millingtons

heroics in the chester goal!

We must have been the only two (plus my mate) there - it was bloody freezing!

That's completely over the top Cliff.

I can't stand Rovers and you'll just have to take my word for it that it's absolutely possible to feel that way without having any violent or hooligan tendencies whatsoever.

I take great pleasure in their defeats, and am irritated by their seemingly regular last minute equalisers, abundance of penalties etc.

I detest their club song and the very sight of their shirts.

I don't like them one bit and hope they get thrashed every week. I sincerely hope they are relegated.

I certainly wouldn't ever pay to watch them without being 100% behind their opposition.

That assuredly does NOT mean I would ever want to punch one of their fans. It's not that sort of "hate".

That's an entirely different sort of feeling reserved for yobs who would feel the same urge whether it was Rovers or Cardiff, Swansea, Stoke, Mjllwall or anyone else they could use as an excuse for violence.

It's not complicated or in any way shameful as far as I'm concerned - I'm a Bristol City fan, I don't like Bristol Rovers, never have, never will.

That's all there is to it, and I'm pretty sure most posters on here who you would seek to label as "bigots" share those feelings, and nothing more.

P.S.Like the poster you have picked out, I haven't got the slightest interest in going to watch a live Premier League game either. I watch it on T.V. and nine times out of 10 it does absolutely nothing for me.

I completely respect your opinion Nogbad, and far be it from me (an absolute newbie) to criticise, but I find your disdain for Rovers a bit disconcerting. Yourself and the majority of normal human beings wouldn't dream of behaving violently towards someone because of the club they support, that's a given. I can also understand you checking for Rovers results - we've all hoped our rivals suffer defeat now and again.

But to be 'irritated' by a Rovers equalizer? To 'detest' the sight of their shirt? It seems a bit strong.

You come across (solely in that post, might I add) as an individual who would would make a judgement on somebody based on their preferred football team. Purely out of interest, and I hasten to stress that I'm not baiting you, do you have any Bristol Rovers supporting friends and, if so, how do you maintain civility with them when you harbour such strong feelings against Rovers?

Or would it be safe to assume that you steer well clear of conversation regarding football with rival supporters, so not to explode in fury!?

I said something similar within the last week - regarding the strength of feeling towards BRFC, and the likes of Ian Holloway, Tony Pulis, Neil Warnock and the list goes on - Coppell, James, Akinde.......

There are all sorts in life and amongst us. Some can articulate feelings with a degree of rationalism. Some can't. Some can control their feelings and behave in a rational way. Some can't.

Sadly it seems that a number that either follow "their" club and some who post on here have both feet firmly in the irrational camp.

Bigots, hate and other words? Not sure, but hating someone just because of a football club they support, or a shirt that they wear, or something that happened in the past seems a very odd thing to me.

You wouldn't harbour those same feelings if they were gay, black or had fought for "the enemy" many years ago would you? Would you.......

I still have a cheque from Dunsford

DD,

Your experience is a personal one and one that doesn't sound pleasant. I think I can begin to understand why you have the strength of feeling that you describe.

One thing that I don't understand though is why you'd keep Denis Dunford's cheque?

When i was much younger my dad started taking me to watch City as we lived in Cornation Rd. We later moved to Eastville and i lived right by the railway embankment.

Every other Saturday we would go to watch city standing in the open end but when City were away the, as kids, we would watch the first half from the embankment for free (you could see half the pitch) and then go in the old open end at half time when they opened the gates. It was great fun. Can't say i cheered for Rovers but it was free live football for us.

I love this forum it's so comical.

Some of the posts on here are hilarious.

I appreciate that some folk on here love football and would like to see Rovers do well, I can also appreciate that these people can go to the Mem or Twerton/Eastville and watch the Gas that's great of that's what you are into, it's not my job to judge you or label you anything more than a football fan. It's also not your job to label anyone who disagrees with you a tribalist or to insinuate that that person is small minded or a biggott, it in fact makes you sound like an elitist, self important person who only values his own opinion, there's far too much of this on this forum and it's getting seriously boring to continually read, this is a forum not a shrinks couch, please climb down of your moral high horses.....

Archived