IGNORED

Watching City And Rovers

Red Rag

What do you think the difference in the ability to ref is, between the two sports then?

Football is a harder game to referee, but there's long been this idea that past-players would be better at doing it than the current system. Even though a number of past-players who have become pundits, and some of those still playing, evidently have no idea of some of the rules.

I think it's a reflection of 4 main factors:

1. A greater range of entertainment available rather than football

2. The price of tickets-it's no longer cheap!!

3. The rise of 'partisanism' and tribalism in football - hence it might feel 'wrong' and you'd get grief from the blue few if they found out your true loyalties

4. People having less time now (money rich - time poor)

Certainly in years gone by both my Dad and my Grandad used to go to both, although neither went that often.

Personally, I'm not that keen on spending proper money going to see a team where I don't care about the outcome - I'd be more likely to see a non-league mob on days off from City, if I had the time (which I don't).

I think this may be an unpopular post, however here goes;

I must start by saying, I have never watched the gas, never supported them in any way, born and bred in south Bristol, watched and supported city since I could walk, cheered and cried after city results over the years, shouted foul language as a teenager at opposition fans (especially rovers and millwoll in the dark years) I have brought my son up to keep clear of any blue and white and take him to ever home game. I also love to see my beloved City gather pace and begin to improve and progress up the league to the promised land, that in my opinion is not too far away ! and I am under 40!!!!

Here comes the big however, please treat me gently.

I want the other Bristol side to be successful in the lower divisions ! I laugh when they lose but deep down want them to win against Cardiff, Swindon, Swansea, millwall and all the other "real" rivals to us. I want them improve that heap they call a stadium, it's embarrassing as a Bristolian ! I want rovers in the Championship (not above us, and never beat us) and when we reach the Premier League I want two Bristol clubs there, like Manchester Liverpool and places like Sheffield in the past !!!!

Am I that bad a person ? Shit this feels like the Samaritans !!!

Up the reds !!!

I think this may be an unpopular post, however here goes;

I want the other Bristol side to be successful in the lower divisions ! I laugh when they lose but deep down want them to win against Cardiff, Swindon, Swansea, millwall and all the other "real" rivals to us. I want them improve that heap they call a stadium, it's embarrassing as a Bristolian ! I want rovers in the Championship (not above us, and never beat us) and when we reach the Premier League I want two Bristol clubs there, like Manchester Liverpool and places like Sheffield in the past !!!!

Am I that bad a person ? Shit this feels like the Samaritans !!!

You won't get any flak from me, mate, and I'm Bedminster born and bred as well. Fair play to you for having an open mind and the balls to post this, but you might want to get your tin hat on, just in case. Your outlook won't find favour in some quarters.

I recall a few seasons back, the Gas were in real danger of dropping out of the league altogether - a lot of people were saying to me "wouldn't you love that?!", but the truth was, I didn't...it would be like being God without having the Devil!

I actually think that the rivalry could be positive - however, whenever we're in the same division, there's a risk that all we want to do it be better than the Gas, and the wider picture is lost.

the above scenario is one of much thought since this topic was opened;

Would I want Rovers to disappear?

Lately I've given the argument that Rovers existence is in direct competition with ours, and I still stand by that view. I feel that for the financial betterment of my club, the existence of rovers is nothing but a hindrance. We as a club are in desperate need of more active supporters to progress to the next level. We are going to need to fill the brand new stadium, we are going to need to sell a shit load more merchandise, and all the other factors to possibly compete. One of the factors that will help us is the promotion we all long for, but until that happens we have little scope for picking up more fans...

So, in that respect, Rovers going away forever would be highly advantageous...

But if I was to look at it with my personal "fans hat" on, I'd say that was cock. I too wish Rovers were a reasonably successful side, I wish I could experience a derby (crapdiff and Millwall away were the most intimidating and exciting atmospheres I've ever experienced, I cant imagine what a derby would be like) I wish I could have the feeling of stuffing them out of sight... In a perfect world, they'd be in the same league as us, either failing to win promotion on the last day as we romp the league, Or staying up by the skin of their teeth season after season (the everton/southampton of the championship)

I dont wish them well, But I do understand that in football the idea of a rivalry is rare, and the atmosphere and intense emotion of a clash between two city rivals is unparallel in "normal" matches.

I do dislike them, I do feel sick at the sight of the blue and white quarters... I'd never EVER be seen dead near their gypsy camp, and even in a game against the welsh national side, I'd struggle to support them. But I do wish they were more adequate rivals, as I get no fulfilment from their existence.

Rovers exist for City to beat. To finish above, season after season (what's the stat again? less than ten times in out existence that we've finished below them?)

My blood is red, pure and simple.

Archived