IGNORED

Our Rich Chairman/owner Just Got A Lot Richer

bernie from barrow gurney

Snippets from an article in the FT:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ad75fc5c-b592-11df-a65e-00144feabdc0.html

........pre-tax profit in the year to June 30 advance from £73.1m to £86.3m as sales rose 20 per cent to £159m

........Shares in Hargreaves Lansdown rose 0.9p to 390p, giving the group a market capitalisation of £1.85bn.

........the founding duo, who own just over half the equity

pretty awesome performance. SL worth around £500 million from his shares.

make mine a shevchenko..

Snippets from an article in the FT:

http://www.ft.com/cm...144feabdc0.html

........pre-tax profit in the year to June 30 advance from £73.1m to £86.3m as sales rose 20 per cent to £159m

........Shares in Hargreaves Lansdown rose 0.9p to 390p, giving the group a market capitalisation of £1.85bn.

........the founding duo, who own just over half the equity

pretty awesome performance. SL worth around £500 million from his shares.

make mine a shevchenko..

Fair play to him, I'm sure he worked hard for it, However does that mean he could finance the new ground without the Sainsbury's deal, and if he believes the project will be profitable (eventually), will also give him a return ? And balls to the do gooders in the council house ?

Or

Is the reason he is so successful why he won't give up on the Sainsbury's deal ?

I wouldn't put all my hard earned money into football, it's not at all profitable these days, just a billionaires playground!

If you were SL, would you be considering selling your shares and putting most of what you have into this club?

Crikey, half the posts over the last week have been from forum members stating they wont even buy a ticket for the next game, never mind buy the club......

As sl has said in the past Bristol city fc has to stand on it's own two feet. Witch I agree :) always believe!!!!!

He may have said that but it can't. And it hasn't for several seasons. was it a £6 million loss last tax year and forecast 9 this time around?.. it relies on the support of its owners and until we reach the prem and have that much needed capacity increase it will continue to do so.

Fair play to him, I'm sure he worked hard for it, However does that mean he could finance the new ground without the Sainsbury's deal, and if he believes the project will be profitable (eventually), will also give him a return ? And balls to the do gooders in the council house ?

Or

Is the reason he is so successful why he won't give up on the Sainsbury's deal ?

The stadium will get built thanks to Steve. What the Lib Dems cannot grasp ( they are not very bright, as you can see from Clegg) is that a World Cup stadium will not without the Sainsbury deal. They despise Steve for his wealth (do they despise their own rich party leadership also?) but at the same time expect him to act as benefactor for Bristol and bankroll the World Cup here on his own. At which point they will try to take the credit for themselves.

He may have said that but it can't. And it hasn't for several seasons. was it a £6 million loss last tax year and forecast 9 this time around?.. it relies on the support of its owners and UNTIL WE REACH THE PREM and have that much needed capacity increase it will continue to do so.

And this is what worries me. SL does not just give his money away. The shortfull is made up each season by SL and without it we'd be screwed, but the money is just a loan to the club from SL. He doesn't just write it off each year, and the money the club owes SL is just going to mount up Season upon Season until we will owe him more than the money we would get from Promotion.

The chances of us getting to the PREM at the moment is just laughable. We do not have enough quality players, even with a fully fit squad.

He needs to spend big, and when I say big in todays terms that means at least 1.5 to 2 million on each player and the wages to match.

As we all know that isn't going to happen, and as much as I admire SL for buying Pitman, Stead to name a few they are good players but not the Quality we need. Pitman I'm hoping will be a great find as it's about time we got lucky, and it's unfair to judge him as he's only been here 5 minutes, but haven't we been here before, trying to get something for nothing in transfer fee terms.

I know apart from not paying high wages there are other things to take into consideration why a player won't sign for us, so it's not like we can just say OH lets go and sign ????? if the player doesn't want to come (even if we were to match their wage demands) they don't want to come. Full Stop.

I do feel SL's transfer policy is all wrong if he's AFTER PROMOTION. If he's happy to stay in the Championship then he's doing a great great job with the players he helps us to buy. Hindsight is great thing but I'd rather we'd not wasted £800,000 on Clarkson and up'd that to say 1.5 Million and tried to get someone like Ishmael Miller in for example.

I don't want the club in financial trouble, of course not, but I do fear that SL will walk one day out of frustration, and then he may look back and think, shite I did spend a load of money, but too much quantity and not enough quality.

And this is what worries me. SL does not just give his money away. The shortfull is made up each season by SL and without it we'd be screwed, but the money is just a loan to the club from SL. He doesn't just write it off each year, and the money the club owes SL is just going to mount up Season upon Season until we will owe him more than the money we would get from Promotion.

I think you'll find the past two financial years he's basically written off the debt by means of a share issue. Effectively writing a blank cheque. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

I think you'll find the past two financial years he's basically written off the debt by means of a share issue. Effectively writing a blank cheque. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

If that's the case then Tom (and you'd know more than me) then my admiration for the man has gone up even futher. :yes:

I was always under the impression and going on what other people have told me that it was just a loan.

BUT I'm still keeping to my point about Quantity (Stay where we are!) and Quality (Helping/Getting to the Prem) though!

The chances of us getting to the PREM at the moment is just laughable. We do not have enough quality players, even with a fully fit squad.

He needs to spend big, and when I say big in todays terms that means at least 1.5 to 2 million on each player and the wages to match.

As we all know that isn't going to happen, and as much as I admire SL for buying Pitman, Stead to name a few they are good players but not the Quality we need. Pitman I'm hoping will be a great find as it's about time we got lucky, and it's unfair to judge him as he's only been here 5 minutes, but haven't we been here before, trying to get something for nothing in transfer fee terms.

I know apart from not paying high wages there are other things to take into consideration why a player won't sign for us, so it's not like we can just say OH lets go and sign ????? if the player doesn't want to come (even if we were to match their wage demands) they don't want to come. Full Stop.

I do feel SL's transfer policy is all wrong if he's AFTER PROMOTION. If he's happy to stay in the Championship then he's doing a great great job with the players he helps us to buy. Hindsight is great thing but I'd rather we'd not wasted £800,000 on Clarkson and up'd that to say 1.5 Million and tried to get someone like Ishmael Miller in for example.

I don't want the club in financial trouble, of course not, but I do fear that SL will walk one day out of frustration, and then he may look back and think, shite I did spend a load of money, but too much quantity and not enough quality.

I believe Tom is right on the 'right off' even if it is not physically written off in accounting terms; I believe it is more a parked debt, a creditor to the business which is on the minus side of the balance sheet and simply rolled over each year which I believe is why the annual loss is always increasing, i.e. part of the year on year increase in loss is because that parked debt gradually edges up exacerbating the losses. in other words its not quite as bad as it looks on paper.

I think you are a little bit contradictory in some of your other remarks.

Firstly i do not agree with you that we do not have the squad that can get us promoted although for sure we need those 3 players everyone is talking about. I don't see our squad being worse than Blackpool's for example. Its about management now to get the team motivated to have a winning mentality.

You say SL needs to spend big, like 2 million, well he did that with Maynard and i do not think the money paid for Pitman should be considered small potatoes either. How do you know we paid 800k for Clarkson? I thought it was undisclosed. You say players may not want to come then you say we should go an try and get Miller. Perhaps we did. Then you say you don't want the club in financial trouble yet we are losing millions each year? Seems like you want your cake and you want to eat it as well. As for SL walking out?.. well, i cannot see him walking away from a substantial investment mid project. I would suggest he did not get where he is today by being less astute than you or me. Not every decision he makes is going to work, thats fairly obvious but the general trend curve is up, surely that is undeniable, we must sit tight and be patient and understand there will be knock backs along the way.

I wouldn't put all my hard earned money into football, it's not at all profitable these days, just a billionaires playground!

Only the other day I said if I was a multi millionaire I would invest heavily in City.

To which my wife replied "that's why you aren't a multi millionaire"

Fair point.

Don't forget that this upsurge in profits for HL is not only good news for our club, it's good for Bristol and all the people they employ.

Have you seen their new "Glass Palace" HQ opposite the Cathedral, next to @ Bristol ? Pretty impressive.

Congratulations SL, you (and Peter Hargreaves) spotted a gap in the Financial Services market and built a business on that.

Thankfully for us, you also decided to put some of the proceeds into the club that you obviously love.

Even better, you don't swagger about, boasting about it - like some football club chairmen I could think of.

What is this a Steve Lansdown love in? We are no more than a play thing for SL that gives him a break from his reality. If he really loved BCFC he would inject far more of his vast personal wealth into his beloved BCFC and by doing so giving us a far better chance of promotion.

I just don't get why so many on here think he is Jesus of Nazereth.

As long as SL is chairman we will tread water, as he will never spend big, big enough to secure the services of the players BCFC require to take us to a far higher level.

What is this a Steve Lansdown love in? We are no more than a play thing for SL that gives him a break from his reality. If he really loved BCFC he would inject far more of his vast personal wealth into his beloved BCFC and by doing so giving us a far better chance of promotion.

As long as SL is chairman we will tread water, as he will never spend big, big enough to secure the services of the players BCFC require to take us to a far higher level.

What percentage of 'his vast personal wealth' would be sufficient to convince you that he really loves the club ?

Besides Steve is a lot richer than Jesus who, I believe, tended to avoid the accumulation of material wealth. Perhaps, as he gets older, Steve will give all his money to the club as 'it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle , than for a rich man to enter into Heaven' (Matthew 19:24).

Clearly you are joking? An ironic post?

If not I recommend you go away and do your research on how much money SL has invested, loaned and given to our club over the years. Then find an example of someone else in the WORLD who would do the same for a football club that doesn't fill its ground each week, with those that do moaning and booing at the end of a draw let alone a loss, a location that means every player arriving has to move house and family to play for us (unlike the Birmingham, Manchester / Liverpool / Yorkshire / London area), has a Saturday afternoon not sunday morning amateur football league, and a local council paralysed by indecision and political bickering as well as being hamstrung through being a "cobbled together" unitary authority.

If it was so easy, and the potential of a Bristol "sleeping giant" is so huge then our blue neighbours up the road would be owned by Sheik Loadsamoney by now. But they aren't, are they?!

This is sort of the point I was trying to get across (above) but I'd change If he really loved BCFC to If he really wanted PROMOTION for BCFC.

But I have definetly taken a step back regarding how much he spends now I know he has written off a huge amount of money.

This is sort of the point I was trying to get across (above) but I'd change If he really loved BCFC to If he really wanted PROMOTION for BCFC.

But I have definetly taken a step back regarding how much he spends now I know he has written off a huge amount of money.

His aim all along has never been just to plough money into the club, he has always stated that he want's the club to be able to stand on it's own two feet (currently it doesn't so he ploughs the money in) he unlike many owners in the premiershit is fully aware that he wont be around for ever and when he does go he doesn't want the club to be in a position where it needs another multi millionare or the club will fall apart, he wasnts to be able to leave the club as a lasting legacy of his personal wealth that will survive long after he goes, not just one that dies as soon as he leaves. If abramovich popped his clogs tomorrow or left, Chelsea would be completely screwed, if the guys in charge at man City left the club would go out of business in about 5 minutes if another mulit billionaire didn't take over.

I'd much rather have an owner who's main aim is the long term future of this club not just a short term payday which can't be sustained.

Archived