IGNORED

David James

redpole

I think DJ will be great goalkeeper for us, like many other good players it takes time for players to gel. He's played 3 or 4 games for us and people judge him cause our results are not there at the moment and the easiest person to blame is the former England number 1! I'm sure if we signed michael owen people would be slating him now for not scoring!

However like someone said this sort of news would not stand out so much if we were a winning team. However as this is a Bristol city forum people have the right to chat about anything related to Bristol city, no matter how crap the thread is as it sometimes makes good banter. People are not always going to have the same views on things as others.

I for one am behind David James and also the defence, these players do not become bad players overnight and I think once they start gelling as a unit they will become more tight. COYR

Firstly what I've wrote is true!

Secondly millen never signed him it was coppell and lansdown arrangement not millen !

Thirdly it's now left to millen to pick up the pieces and he would much rather a fully committed keeper like gerk or hen to fight it out instead of a keeper that rarely trains with the squad! That's what is meant by rating, his attitude is not what millen would like !

But of course there is people on hear who don't want to hear it, that's up to them I only speak the truth and won't write nonsense from a mates uncles brothers rubbish !

Like I said above I'm a d j fan and v disappointed to hear this

I'm sure ive seen an interview with DJ before the World cup where he stated he no longer did 'standard' training but more gym work and stretching. In a similar suitation im sure Ledley King doesn't actually train with the rest of the defence at Spurs as he has to look after his knees as well and he seems to do ok when he plays.

First things first the Club have one of the best Chairman in the league and anything beyond that is a minor fairly insignificant point. So here's a bit of minor criticism in that context.

SL generally seems to leave transfer activity to the management, but when he has made suggestions the players have not been right for the Club and are not likely to give a return on the investment in terms of improved playing performance and increasing in transfer market value. I suspect season ticket sales do come into the thinking just a bit, but aging highly paid stars at the end their career are not usually the best bets these days. It might have been different in previous playing generations with Norman Hunter, Joe Royle, Terry Cooper etc. but both SL's signing suggestions - Marcus Stewart and David James - haven't been the best use of limited cash resources. I'd like to think that a few wins will see the mood for both fans and DJ improve. Basso is probably the wrong example after his fall-out but it's easy to under-estimate how important players who contribute to good team spirit really are. We've lost a few who fit into that category - Bradley Orr, Scott Murray and Basso (at his best). I'm sure similar types will emerge but I hope the one thing that SL (and, more importantly KM) have picked up from GJ is that the right blend of character in the squad is important.

Anyway, it's a minor gripe because the Club and the fans owe a debt of gratitude to Steve Lansdown but the main point is that I'd much rather the club had used the David James funds and gone the extra mile for the likes of Matt Philips. See this article for a few reasons why:-

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpool-football-club/Ollie-backs-newboy-to-be.6513820.jp

at the barnsley game a chap (lets say he might of had 1 or 2 natches) said something along the lines of the original post to me while outside having a fag at half time.

was assuming the alcohol was doing most of the talking, more than likely just a case of chinese whispers going on.

just give the poor guy till at least xmas to prove himself a couple of wins and everything will be good again :city:

Secondly millen never signed him it was coppell and lansdown arrangement not millen !

Thirdly it's now left to millen to pick up the pieces and he would much rather a fully committed keeper like gerk or hen to fight it out instead of a keeper that rarely trains with the squad! That's what is meant by rating, his attitude is not what millen would like !

But of course there is people on hear who don't want to hear it, that's up to them I only speak the truth and won't write nonsense from a mates uncles brothers rubbish !

Like I said above I'm a d j fan and v disappointed to hear this

you can't expect anyone to believe you- just because you say so - when you can't back it up with any facts.

It's all rumour and gossip until then.

For what it's worth I think the James signing WAS a mistake. For these reasons:

(1)- So called "marquee" signings rarely work (Robhino?). Players should be signed for football reasons and not to "raise the clubs profile" or to "show people we're ambitious" or to sell shirts or generate headlines etc. The novelty has already worn off , the England's No 1 was only ever going to last until the next international and how many extra people will turn up to our next home game v Watford to "see David James"

(2)- The question therefore is - given our budget for wages - did we need to break our wage structure and spend £20K pw on a GK (any GK) ? when other areas were a bigger priority and therefore shouldn't the MANAGER set the agenda for signing not the CHAIRMAN.

(3) - Having a player on double every other players wages is bound to cause some unease in the dressing room - eventually.

(4) - The hair - nuff said

So - on SL's own admission it was a hasty decision, and on reflection - in my opinion -it will prove to have been a mistake.

Would Keith Millen have signed James? probably not. Is KM upset about it ? - probably not , a new manager works with the players he inherits and in that respect James is no different.

I'm sure the training thing (if DJ needs a personal routine) was agreed before he signed but I would expect DJ to join in with every other aspect of the team including tactical meetings and to work with the other keepers as well.

I don't buy the dodgy knee story as he would have passed a medical and we wouldn't have got the medical insurance if there was a problem.

CR

Codered how very dare you!

Na in all seriousness it's a excellent source but like you said how can you back it up, it's one of those that in time it may or may not come out !

However I have been right about everything I've posted in the past , up to anyone if they want to believe it !

Just spoke to a friend who is good friends with a Bristol city goalkeeping coach and he said apparently .we tried to offload him on deadline day. Also he does alot of gym training and not much training with others as he has 2 bad knees. Has anyone else heard anything like this about David James?

dont care if no one takes any notice of this bit of info i heard today down near the ground where i work that he had attitude in dressing room after ipswich game and also at training other day and he will gone by end of month HOPE IM WRONG

on reflection

- at the time the DJ signing seemed brilliant we had a manger who has good track record of good exciting football a team who at the end of last season were playing really well as a unit and a goal keeper although thrown in at the deep end did well. So DJ comes in perhaps for a season to give coaching and experience to gerkin who if he was patient for a season could do as good as hart - now look at him hart that is undoubdly englands no 1 who before the millwall game we thought that was our goal keeper.And at the millwall game I sdat threre and thought well he is new and once he trains and gets to know the defence and they know him it will work out.

Now look at us that was the positive DJ whole body lanuage and not having any rapport with the fans and at time seems to be intimidating to the defence are they scared of making a mistake - and now through rumour we hear he doesnt or tries not to train with the rest look at how he was warming up before the barnsely game something seemd to be up- not to run down or be slagged off but time will tell if he is right for us and we are right for him perhaps he feels he does need stronger players in front of him that would be found in a prem team even one of the lower ones- but also as well how does he feel after the season he had last year with pompey - well all the best for team on sat and hope they do well with the 2 homes coming up it would be a good spring board we hope

Guest Parson St Station

This story is rubbish I asked a first team player today and he laughed saying James is a great lads whose mucked right in and is always up for a giggle in training etc

Which player mate?

Dont care who or wat he has achived but should acknowlage the supporters same as the rest of the players we support through good & bad & always have

I agree. James has no rapport with the fans at all, in my oponion he does not even look like he wants to be here. Ok I am ready for the flak!!!

You don't know anything and you are talking bull shit. No offence.

If true you can understand KM being fustrated. Anyone can see that the defensive mix-ups of late have been down to poor communication between James and the back 4. You are only going to improve that on the training ground and if he isn't training much then you aint going to get over the problem..

KM knows that he can't really leave a high profile player on the highest wages sat on the bench every week.

I agree. James has no rapport with the fans at all, in my oponion he does not even look like he wants to be here. Ok I am ready for the flak!!!

[start flak]

4 games into the season...... he'd be an amazing guy to have built a repor in thats short a period of time aye... Also he seemed quite happy at southend (havent been close enough to see his face at other games) even though he was a sub to gerkin, training and being generally happy.

So there we go

[/end flak]

I dont think the James signing, albeit on a Pay as you Play basis is of any real merit for the club other than the initial media frenzy which may have sold one or two more season tickets and bolstered the gate receipts early season.

Im afraid James career, even in Championship football came to an end a couple of seasons ago, ok so he was Englands pick for the WCF but that was on the basis of his reputation not on actual form. If he was of any value to the future of the club I would be of a different opinion, but hes not. I would much prefer to see Gerks in the no 1 shirt as he would be playing his heart out for BC and not just because it was a convenient arrangement.

We can all see why now supporters of his previous clubs nicknamed him calamity...you just never know what he is going to do next.

You cant blame the Chairman for signing him, who wouldnt want the current England Goalkeeper on the Staff, but his peformances to date have been less than ordinary to say the least...the bigest problem when you play in a side with a "star" is that you expect too much from them and its obvious our defence this season is doing just that. Unfortunately David is knowhere near the level he used to be, doesnt command the box wih his presence ( he never did) and ceratinly doesnt have any Phsycological advantage over the opposing players.

Regardless of what anyone on here posts, it is of the upmost importance to have harmony in the back 5 and you cannot have your first choice goalkeeper training away from the main body of the team, irrespective of how bad his knees are or how old he is...its of fundamental importance to have the back 5 working as a complete unit both on and off the pitch.

I think if Millen had anything to do with it James would be the GK coach and Gerks would be in the No. 1 jersery. I dont doubt that a couple more poor performances for James and he will be replaced by gerks and will probably be down the road on a similar deal with Southampton, Swindon, or Yeovil.

It was a good bit of PR and Publicity signing DJ but Im afraid thats all it was......

I dont think the James signing, albeit on a Pay as you Play basis is of any real merit for the club other than the initial media frenzy which may have sold one or two more season tickets and bolstered the gate receipts early season.

Im afraid James career, even in Championship football came to an end a couple of seasons ago, ok so he was Englands pick for the WCF but that was on the basis of his reputation not on actual form. If he was of any value to the future of the club I would be of a different opinion, but hes not. I would much prefer to see Gerks in the no 1 shirt as he would be playing his heart out for BC and not just because it was a convenient arrangement.

We can all see why now supporters of his previous clubs nicknamed him calamity...you just never know what he is going to do next.

You cant blame the Chairman for signing him, who wouldnt want the current England Goalkeeper on the Staff, but his peformances to date have been less than ordinary to say the least...the bigest problem when you play in a side with a "star" is that you expect too much from them and its obvious our defence this season is doing just that. Unfortunately David is knowhere near the level he used to be, doesnt command the box wih his presence ( he never did) and ceratinly doesnt have any Phsycological advantage over the opposing players.

Regardless of what anyone on here posts, it is of the upmost importance to have harmony in the back 5 and you cannot have your first choice goalkeeper training away from the main body of the team, irrespective of how bad his knees are or how old he is...its of fundamental importance to have the back 5 working as a complete unit both on and off the pitch.

I think if Millen had anything to do with it James would be the GK coach and Gerks would be in the No. 1 jersery. I dont doubt that a couple more poor performances for James and he will be replaced by gerks and will probably be down the road on a similar deal with Southampton, Swindon, or Yeovil.

It was a good bit of PR and Publicity signing DJ but Im afraid thats all it was......

Sorry thats utter crap! David James was being hunted by several Premier League Clubs and Scottish Premireship Clubs at the time he signed for us, as for the calamity James nonsesne the only mistake thats been made so far is his effort at Ipswitch and to be fair thats more from the fact the defense is utter shit at the moment and has been even before James arrival. He got the name Calamity James very very early in his carrer at liverpool when he was still very wet behind the ears anyone with half a brain could over the last decade hes been rated very highly as (One harry redknap one of the best managers in the country saw fit to sign him and even Mardy isreali fella didnt drop him) and at the worldcup he kept us in the Germany game for quite large stints until the inevitable happend with the defence. As for Gerkin I dont rate him as high as James or Henderson.

SORRY BUT THERE ARE A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE TRYING TO FIND A PROBLEM THAT ISNT THERE!

Sorry thats utter crap! David James was being hunted by several Premier League Clubs and Scottish Premireship Clubs at the time he signed for us, as for the calamity James nonsesne the only mistake thats been made so far is his effort at Ipswitch and to be fair thats more from the fact the defense is utter shit at the moment and has been even before James arrival. He got the name Calamity James very very early in his carrer at liverpool when he was still very wet behind the ears anyone with half a brain could over the last decade hes been rated very highly as (One harry redknap one of the best managers in the country saw fit to sign him and even Mardy isreali fella didnt drop him) and at the worldcup he kept us in the Germany game for quite large stints until the inevitable happend with the defence. As for Gerkin I dont rate him as high as James or Henderson.

SORRY BUT THERE ARE A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE TRYING TO FIND A PROBLEM THAT ISNT THERE!

OOPs Sorry Mrs James I appear to have upset you...:surrender:

Nonetheless nothing good will come of this signing...and it was actually the WHU fans that nicknamed him Calamity

Hunted by several Premiershiop Clubs?.........I dont think so....mentioned yes..... hunted definately not..........

I'm not in a position to comment on James' commitment or otherwise as I can't claim to have a source, however I do find it amusing that people are doubting the ability of a man who three months ago was deemed good enough by Fabio Capello to start for England at the World Cup. Still, what does he know about football?

And the simple fact is, which we can all vote on...Has he brought anything tangiable to the team that wasnt there already.?

You could argue that the defence played better at the back end of last season without him in the goal.

And if he is as good as you seem to think he is...why are we leaking goals ???

I rest my case, and dont be so offensive with you opinion when you reply or il will have to lever all of my 22 stone onto your face.:rofl2br:

I definitely agree with this last statement (although not in capitals, there's no need to shout). This whole thread started because someone claimed their mate, who's a first team players, cousins boyfriends best mate (exageration, but you get my drift) had told them that David James hates being here wants to leave and whaa, whaa, whaa. I'm not going to pretend, as many on here do, that i have any link to the team or insider knowledge on the squad, but the fact of the matter is that the only evidence of David James being unhappy at the gate (well any more unhappy than any of the 1st team should be following the performances this season) is whats written on here. Even the supposed snub to the fans against Ipswich has been refuted by others and regardless, you couldn't blame the bloke for being a bit sheepish after his mistakes. Some people seem intent on turning our football club into an episode of Hollyoaks

You got to love us fickle city fans...if James and city started the season off to a flyer we would not be chatting about this, it would be James should still be englands number 1. However we have not started that well and James has not been at his best on and off the pitch so he is the easiest target.

Like I said before this is a forum for us city fans to chat about things city related, however I never understand why we have to knock our fellow fans and supporters all the time. I think we should have a age content on this page for 18+ although most of our fans would not be able to go on it as the way they speak is like kids in the play ground.

I just think if people got to say stuff about players they should justify what they mean by it not just saying he's shit and he's shit cause at the end of the day we are all Bristol city fc!

You got to love us fickle city fans...if James and city started the season off to a flyer we would not be chatting about this, it would be James should still be englands number 1. However we have not started that well and James has not been at his best on and off the pitch so he is the easiest target.

Like I said before this is a forum for us city fans to chat about things city related, however I never understand why we have to knock our fellow fans and supporters all the time. I think we should have a age content on this page for 18+ although most of our fans would not be able to go on it as the way they speak is like kids in the play ground.

I just think if people got to say stuff about players they should justify what they mean by it not just saying he's shit and he's shit cause at the end of the day we are all Bristol city fc!

Spot on. Although it's easy to slate players anonymously on a forum.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for people to have their say and appreciate that their views might differ from mine. However, I wonder how many people would say what they write face-to-face with the topic of the thread i.e. in this case directly to David James.

For the sake of our club and it's support/fan base, I'd hope it's not that many - which then begs the question as to why people write such things in the first place?

I only hope potential players thinking of signing for us don't read these forums because currently some fans seem to be saying..."hit the ground running and playing your best or we'll on your back from the off... no matter how good you are!"

OOPs Sorry Mrs James I appear to have upset you...:surrender:

Nonetheless nothing good will come of this signing...and it was actually the WHU fans that nicknamed him Calamity

Hunted by several Premiershiop Clubs?.........I dont think so....mentioned yes..... hunted definately not..........

Because your credentials are better than fabio? UAFA Licence? I didnt think so!

Archived