IGNORED

Buying Big...

spudski

I know this will probably irritate a few on here, but i was looking at the table and squads, and yes it's early Doors, but for me, Warnocks lot and Baardiff, look very strong and probable promotion candidates already. I don't agree with the way either Club is run, but it definitely looks like they are both buying promotion...and yes, time will tell. In the period we have been in the Championship ,we have bought and sold players and released a few, but imo, we have fallen into that trap that every wannabe Championship team falls into, and are just buying average players. I look at Bolton and Wigan and both have now become established remiershi sides. We could easily be like them. Do you ever think SL will bite the bullet and really go for it?

What risk it and then have the repeat of 82. And imo cardiff may win the league but this time in 5 years i can honestly see them in the lower leagues or not even being a club. We are slowly and surley buliding a good team and we are doing it the right way. Look at alberts performance yesterday and plus with the irish lads and not to forget riberio the future definetley looks bright.

I know this will probably irritate a few on here, but i was looking at the table and squads, and yes it's early Doors, but for me, Warnocks lot and Baardiff, look very strong and probable promotion candidates already. I don't agree with the way either Club is run, but it definitely looks like they are both buying promotion...and yes, time will tell. In the period we have been in the Championship ,we have bought and sold players and released a few, but imo, we have fallen into that trap that every wannabe Championship team falls into, and are just buying average players. I look at Bolton and Wigan and both have now become established remiershi sides. We could easily be like them. Do you ever think SL will bite the bullet and really go for it?

Nope - he is far more likely to point to what Blackpool (and Reading, Wigan and Stoke before them) did, which was get promoted with a limiited budget, as evidence that you don't need to go mad. I'm sure that's why he went for Coppell as manager - because he had a reputation for getting teams promoted on a budget.

It's not easy but it can be (and has been) done. You just need to hit form in a season when the division is wide open (as it was when we got to the playoff final). Personally, I think it's pretty open this year, which makes Coppell's disgraceful behaviour all the more galling. At least one, if not both, of QPR and Cardiff will hit a bad patch this season - they do not have anything like the experience in their squads that Newcastle and West Brom had last term. it's up to the chasing teams to take advantage. Despite our terrrible first month, we are only 8 points behind them. The year we got in the play-off final Watford were about 10 points clear of us at one stage, I seem to remember, and we reeled them in.

Long way to go - we have the makings of a very good Championship team + subs now, and just need to get them into a settled First XI and formation they are happy with both going forward and when we haven't got the ball. Easier said than done but not impossible.

To be fair, we have spent quite a lot of money in recent years. In the top half of Championship spenders for sure.

In the current climate you have to be VERY careful how you spend. In fairness QPR are (were?) loaded and Cardiff, well, I don't even have to tell you.

Also, Boro have spent big in the past couple of seasons...

What risk it and then have the repeat of 82. And imo cardiff may win the league but this time in 5 years i can honestly see them in the lower leagues or not even being a club. We are slowly and surley buliding a good team and we are doing it the right way. Look at alberts performance yesterday and plus with the irish lads and not to forget riberio the future definetley looks bright.

Dont really agree with that i think if Cardiff go up this season they will become a Bolton/Wigan as i think there starting 11 at least is good enough to stay in the prem and the money that comes with it will pay a big slice of there debt off.

Nope - he is far more likely to point to what Blackpool (and Reading, Wigan and Stoke before them) did, which was get promoted with a limiited budget, as evidence that you don't need to go mad. I'm sure that's why he went for Coppell as manager - because he had a reputation for getting teams promoted on a budget.

It's not easy but it can be (and has been) done. You just need to hit form in a season when the division is wide open (as it was when we got to the playoff final). Personally, I think it's pretty open this year, which makes Coppell's disgraceful behaviour all the more galling. At least one, if not both, of QPR and Cardiff will hit a bad patch this season - they do not have anything like the experience in their squads that Newcastle and West Brom had last term. it's up to the chasing teams to take advantage. Despite our terrrible first month, we are only 8 points behind them. The year we got in the play-off final Watford were about 10 points clear of us at one stage, I seem to remember, and we reeled them in.

Long way to go - we have the makings of a very good Championship team + subs now, and just need to get them into a settled First XI and formation they are happy with both going forward and when we haven't got the ball. Easier said than done but not impossible.

Spot on Mr Hocking.

SL has shown us over the years that he is not prepared to play "Roulette" football club management - namely put loads of high value chips on the number marked "Promotion" and hope that it comes up.

Having said that, I agree with the OP that Cardiff and QPR are the most likely two clubs for auto promotion this year.

Who do we think is in the frame for the play-off winners spot ? Too early to say probably but I fancy Ipswich and Leeds will be there and now I am feeling more positive, I reckon we have a chance of sneaking into the play-offs.

To be fair, we have spent quite a lot of money in recent years. In the top half of Championship spenders for sure.

In the current climate you have to be VERY careful how you spend. In fairness QPR are (were?) loaded and Cardiff, well, I don't even have to tell you.

Also, Boro have spent big in the past couple of seasons...

Exactly. You'd think from the way some people go on that we haven't signed anyone in years! What do people expect? 5 million every transfer window? It's ridiculous. We signed Maynard for 2.5 million, hardly a small fee for a club such as ourselves. The transfer window is seriously inflated at the minute, and I think more emphasis should be placed on accquring a balanced squad, with a mixture of youth and experience. Obviously some big signings will be required, especially in the attacking department, but throwing money at people is NOT the answer.

Guest Parson St Station

Well said Martyn, but what kind of sport when you spend nearly 15 million pounds on players in the last 4 years has football become? And we are considered small-fry.

Archived