IGNORED

Jon Stead

southvillekiddy

Wasn't able to go to S****horpe, only seen the highlights on Player, so would appreciate your views.

But even on that glimpse, it seems Jon Stead is the best header of a ball we've had in ages. Seems to me we have a true target man now who can head the ball accurately to a team-mate. (Put Clarkson in twice; don't think the first one was off-side)

Iwelumo was a powerful player but not that great in the air.

Comments lads and lasses please.

Wasn't able to go to S****horpe, only seen the highlights on Player, so would appreciate your views.

But even on that glimpse, it seems Jon Stead is the best header of a ball we've had in ages. Seems to me we have a true target man now who can head the ball accurately to a team-mate. (Put Clarkson in twice; don't think the first one was off-side)

You mean you didn't rate Stern John?? :innocent06:

Have to slightly disagree with that, thought Iwelumo was v good in the air particulary when long balls were punted up the middle. When Adebola was in the same position he would normally just flick on, whereas Iwelumo would at least try to find a player, plus scored two good headed goals for Burnley Saturday

But even on that glimpse, it seems Jon Stead is the best header of a ball we've had in ages. Seems to me we have a true target man now who can head the ball accurately to a team-mate.

As you say we've only seen a glimpse of Stead. I was at Ipswich and neither he or Pitman got much service and I can't remember Stead winning a header all game. He got a decent flick on to Clarkson in added time at Scunny but any tall player can manage the odd flick on. Adebola was decent enough at it.

I said when City City signed Stead that I wasn't particulary impressed with his goal record nor the fact he's been to so many clubs at a relativly young age. Moving clubs so regularly suggests that clubs are keen to move him on.

That said, he's a City player now and with only two games under his belt its way too early make any judgements. I just hope he doesn't turn out to another Steve Torpey......

Have to slightly disagree with that, thought Iwelumo was v good in the air particulary when long balls were punted up the middle. When Adebola was in the same position he would normally just flick on, whereas Iwelumo would at least try to find a player, plus scored two good headed goals for Burnley Saturday

Was commenting mainly on Stead's ability to find another City player with his headers, which he did superbly twice for Clarkson. Thought Stead looked class at this at S****horpe. Iwelumo was not as good at this for City. His headers were for goals on saturday.

Was commenting mainly on Stead's ability to find another City player with his headers, which he did superbly twice for Clarkson. Thought Stead looked class at this at S****horpe. Iwelumo was not as good at this for City. His headers were for goals on saturday.

Thats fair enough as I have not seen Stead in action for us yet. However Iwelumo for me was breath of fresh air when it came to City target men, his instinct, as I saw it was to find/put players through on goal rather than just flicking it forward hopefully.

I'm looking forward to seeing our new strike pairing for the 1st time though.

Slightly off topic but does anyone else think peter beadle was one of the worst headers of a ball they have seen?

for a big bloke he seemed to never win a ball in the air or hold the ball up,i wasn't his biggest fan :D

looking for to see stead and pitman play tomorow,hopefully danny rose too.

CTID

I was more impressed with his touch and general play. Clarkie seems willing to take a chance when the ball is played up to Stead which is why he got his goal.

Flick ons are no problem for most decent headers of a ball. Be interesting to see him in action a bit more though.

Last decent header of the ball we had, imo, was Stevie Brooker.

When Iwelumo made his debut up Sheffield United was the only player who did well for us. Won every header and to take on Chris Morgan is one hell of a challenge. And every header went in the right direction. In the second half Sheff Utd had to put two players on him just to isolate him. Though it worked he was still able to get a few headers in.

I cant really put an opinion on Stead at the moment due to not seeing him play, but always thought he was a bad player. Will see tomorrow night if he proves me wrong!

We have some lousy headers over the years!

However with running the risk of upsetting a few, I have got to say Wayne Allison won nothing with his head...I remember shouting at him away at Oxford 'are you gonna win one in the air this season Wayne' (I was much younger then)...for a big guy he won little for us above his neck, nevertheless he seemed to be much better in the air during his spell at Tranmere, so I guess it is a skill that can be increased with time effort and coaching.

As for John Stead...We will see! (but I have a warm fuzzy about this guy, so lets hope my instincts are right!)

Slightly off topic but does anyone else think peter beadle was one of the worst headers of a ball they have seen?

for a big bloke he seemed to never win a ball in the air or hold the ball up,i wasn't his biggest fan :D

looking for to see stead and pitman play tomorow,hopefully danny rose too.

CTID

Beadle never got in the air to win the ball.

I'm unsure about Stead, proabably haven't seen enough of him yet. The best headerer of the ball ive seen at the gate in the last 10 years is undoubtedly one Bas Savage. Thoughts?

got his one and only goal for us with his head at AG didn't he? against ....................................... ? Remember their manager was furious, whoever they were

Nuff said.

Archived