IGNORED

Lee Johnson

LongwellRed

Why the hell do we need Skuse Elliott and Cisse in midfield for a home game against one of the poorer teams in the division (on paper) ? Lee Johnson must come back in at the expense of one of these 3. He is just about the nearest we currently have to a creative midfielder at the club and in my opinion based on the Barnsley performance deserves to be there on merit. Carey and Ribs back in defence is also a given.

Why the hell do we need Skuse Elliott and Cisse in midfield for a home game against one of the poorer teams in the division (on paper) ? Lee Johnson must come back in at the expense of one of these 3. He is just about the nearest we currently have to a creative midfielder at the club and in my opinion based on the Barnsley performance deserves to be there on merit. Carey and Ribs back in defence is also a given.

Could not agree more. Cisse and Elliot in centre mid was a joke, we need a centre mid who actually wants the ball, and as you say, LJ is the closest thing we have to that.

Totally agree. Lee Johnson gets the ball moving quicker through midfield whereas Skuse, Elliot and Cisse seem content to hoof it into the channels . LJ brings creativity. I am astounded that he was dropped after his performance against Barnsley

Been saying for ages we need a central midfielder who can pass, retain posession and dictate the play abit but more worryingly the management cant seem to grasp this. Lee Johnson is the closest thing we have right now and should play.

We have lost the likes of Noble, Williams, Hartley, Sno and they have never been replaced. I'm not saying they were all world beaters but right now, they are the sort of players that we are missing, With Cisse, Elliott and Skuse we just dont have anybody capable making a bit of time for themself in the middle and picking the passes. They are excellent at what they do - tracking, tackling, hustling etc but IMO only one of them should be playing. They are about as creative as my gold fish.

I agree it was daft to play 3 holding central midfielders in a home match, I personally would of played two of Skuse,Elliott and Cisse and then start with Rose on the the left to give a more balance team, we were so one sided last night which in turn made us predictable. Also since when did we play whoosh ball? so many long balls just aimlessly pumped in to the box.

I do not think Lee Johnson is the answer,since when was he that good? we all know what the lad offers so lets not pretend Lee Johnson was the missing link last night because quite frankly that is just a crazy notion.

I agree it was daft to play 3 holding central midfielders in a home match, I personally would of played two of Skuse,Elliott and Cisse and then start with Rose on the the left to give a more balance team, we were so one sided last night which in turn made us predictable. Also since when did we play whoosh ball? so many long balls just aimlessly pumped in to the box.

I do not think Lee Johnson is the answer,since when was he that good? we all know what the lad offers so lets not pretend Lee Johnson was the missing link last night because quite frankly that is just a crazy notion.

Were you at the Barnsley game when he controlled the game and got us back into it with his forward thinking? I agree with the original poster we got to get a passer into that midfield, I was very interested that although Skuse kept passing the ball backwards and not forwards he didn't get any groans or moans yet when another player (LJ) did it he got hounded on.

IMO Lee Johnson must start the next game and quite frankly I was bemused by the decision to start 3 defensive midfielders at home, whether we won the last game or not!

To achieve precisely nothing in midfield all game and have LJ on the bench just insults everyone's intelligence.

I said this on my way out the ground last night.

GJ's mistake with his son last season was to leave him on the pitch when we were defending 1-0 leads and being threatened with being over-run. When we need creativity in MF to feed two nippy wingers then Lee's just what was wanted.

I agree with this post, if we are going to continue playing playing 4-4-2 we really need to start getting the ball wide quickly to give either Rose, Ivan or Albert a chance to get at their full-back and hopefully start creating chances. Stead and Pittman are to big strikers and they need good service into the box, there is no chance of this if the play is going to be as slow as last night. We need to really up the work rate,quicken our play and get in teams faces!!

Get the ball out wide quickly to keep the opsition on the back foot, make them worry about us for a change. I think Johnson as demonstrarted agaginst Barnsley is the only player we have with the vision and willingness to get the ball and play. Cisse and Elliott are too similar as players and don't need to be in the same team unless we play 5 in midfield away from home.

I agree with this post, if we are going to continue playing playing 4-4-2 we really need to start getting the ball wide quickly to give either Rose, Ivan or Albert a chance to get at their full-back and hopefully start creating chances. Stead and Pittman are to big strikers and they need good service into the box, there is no chance of this if the play is going to be as slow as last night. We need to really up the work rate,quicken our play and get in teams faces!!

Get the ball out wide quickly to keep the opsition on the back foot, make them worry about us for a change. I think Johnson as demonstrarted agaginst Barnsley is the only player we have with the vision and willingness to get the ball and play. Cisse and Elliott are too similar as players and don't need to be in the same team unless we play 5 in midfield away from home.

4-4-2 is the problem imo. Last night it was difficult to actually see what shape City were playing whereas Watfords shape was obvious.

McAllister didn't seem to know where he was supposed to playing. He was constantly pushing up the pitch like a wing back would despite having Skuse and then Rose in front of him.

I'm convinced 3-5-2 would provide more attacking options - both home and away.

4-4-2 is the problem imo. Last night it was difficult to actually see what shape City were playing whereas Watfords shape was obvious.

McAllister didn't seem to know where he was supposed to playing. He was constantly pushing up the pitch like a wing back would despite having Skuse and then Rose in front of him.

I really don't think 3-5-2 would work. A formation like this requires good full backs who are prepared to go forward and also get back and defend. We do not have this. One problem last night was that we were way too narrow with three centre midfield players playing in midfield. We should have started Rose, a natural left sided player who we have been crying out for since Mcindoe left. IMO the team for saturday should look something like this: James; Hunt, Stewart, Carey, Fontaine; Adomah, Cisse, Johnson, Rose; Stead, Pitman

The team last night had absolutely no balance whatsoever.

I really don't think 3-5-2 would work. A formation like this requires good full backs who are prepared to go forward and also get back and defend. We do not have this. One problem last night was that we were way too narrow with three centre midfield players playing in midfield. We should have started Rose, a natural left sided player who we have been crying out for since Mcindoe left. IMO the team for saturday should look something like this: James; Hunt, Stewart, Carey, Fontaine; Adomah, Cisse, Johnson, Rose; Stead, Pitman

The team last night had absolutely no balance whatsoever.

That is a very good side you have there, we are crying out for someone like LJ in the team, why is it we can see it yet others can't and bring people like Clarkson who in all the will in the world isn't going to open up defences!

The fact that we loaned Gavin Williams out when we have the squad we do is a joke. I'm not saying that he's brilliant or even the answer, but when we have the central midfielders that we do how can you justify just shiping him out? I agree that Johnson has to start Saturday, I'd much rather we still had Williams and I think I'd play him but we just need some sort of creative outlet. I thought he played well agsinst Barnsley and if he can play like this again he'll justify his selection, however we all know how frustrating and inconsistent he can be. Right now though, he is the only option.

That is a very good side you have there, we are crying out for someone like LJ in the team, why is it we can see it yet others can't and bring people like Clarkson who in all the will in the world isn't going to open up defences!

Not that I'd start Clarkson but please remember who opened up the defence against Barnsley. It was not LJ.

352 may be ok but only at home and only then if we play wingers wide and expect the central midfielders to play a large part in covering the wide areas defensively. We can't kid ourselves that players like Hunt and McAllister can be allowed to be wing backs or that Rose and Adomah will do much defending as it will make them very ineffective.

The problem last night in the first half was the abysmal performance of all four of our back four, compounded slightly by not having anything down the left as Skuse was out of position.

The problem in general is not with 442, it's with the holes in our squad (left back, midfield general) to which we seem to be able to add Hunt and Stewart being piss poor as well sadly. Those holes are exposed further by wing backs. We desperately need a left back who vaguely resembles a footballer and I'm bemused that we haven't sorted that over the summer as it's been a big problem for a while, and not replacing Hartley whilst I acknowedge is a difficult ask is hurting us. Creativity aside our set pieces are shockingly poor now.

LJ can't play effectively in a 442 at this level because he can only do half of a midfielder's job. That's ok in a three man midfield if he's offering enough going forward but over the last two years that has rarely been the case. If we tried 352 as above then fine but Johnson will have to step up his performances hugely from those we've seen over the last two seasons to warrant a place.

4-4-2 is not the problem. It is one of the most basic tried and trusted formations that is played by many teams.

The problem is the selection of players to play in a 4-4-2. If you play 3 central midfielders in a 4-4-2 then quite clearly the balance is completely lost, the shape can easily be lost and you will lack width down one side.

If he wants to stick with his 3 central midfielders then I agree, he does need to change the formation.

I would like to see Johnson start on Saturday but only in the right formation. If we play 442 I think we'll be to exposed as LJ isn't the best of tacklers but in a 352 I think it could work. I would go with: James,Ribs,Carey,Fonts,Adomah,Cisse,Skuse,Jonhson,Rose,Stead& Pitman. But hey that's just my opinion I'm no Keith Millen.

We have lost the likes of Noble, Williams, Hartley, Sno and they have never been replaced. I'm not saying they were all world beaters but right now, they are the sort of players that we are missing,

Exactly and the reason they have all gone is why I could never advocate LJ in the team.

Hartley in particular could have been massive for us as an inspiration but he became totally pissed off being dropped or "rotated" so often.

LJ did well when he came on against Barnsley but one game out of every 5 with a decent contribution isnt good enough.

Not that I'd start Clarkson but please remember who opened up the defence against Barnsley. It was not LJ.

352 may be ok but only at home and only then if we play wingers wide and expect the central midfielders to play a large part in covering the wide areas defensively. We can't kid ourselves that players like Hunt and McAllister can be allowed to be wing backs or that Rose and Adomah will do much defending as it will make them very ineffective.

The problem last night in the first half was the abysmal performance of all four of our back four, compounded slightly by not having anything down the left as Skuse was out of position.

The problem in general is not with 442, it's with the holes in our squad (left back, midfield general) to which we seem to be able to add Hunt and Stewart being piss poor as well sadly. Those holes are exposed further by wing backs. We desperately need a left back who vaguely resembles a footballer and I'm bemused that we haven't sorted that over the summer as it's been a big problem for a while, and not replacing Hartley whilst I acknowedge is a difficult ask is hurting us. Creativity aside our set pieces are shockingly poor now.

LJ can't play effectively in a 442 at this level because he can only do half of a midfielder's job. That's ok in a three man midfield if he's offering enough going forward but over the last two years that has rarely been the case. If we tried 352 as above then fine but Johnson will have to step up his performances hugely from those we've seen over the last two seasons to warrant a place.

What he said :clap:

This is how I see it. LJ has had some very good performances when he was in a central three, and effectively had a free role. He had a good season in a central two alongside Marv, who did the work of at least one and a half men. But in normal circumstances he doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant a place in a central two. And he's not creative enough to decide to play a three just to find a place for him in the team.

Having said which, he may be the closest thing to a creative midfielder we have at the moment - which is a very sobering thought. I still wouldn't pick him on Saturday (Cisse and Skuse, with Rose and Adomah, for me) but I can understand why people are desperate to find ways of getting some sort of creativity into the side.

GJ's mistake with his son last season was to leave him on the pitch when we were defending 1-0 leads and being threatened with being over-run.

Not sure it would have made much difference. One of LJ's main strengths is his stamina whereas you want to use your substitutions to either strategically alter the game or replace tired players.

TBH, I think GJ's main mistake was playing people with bad attitudes, though shouting at players too much might beat it.

When we need creativity in MF to feed two nippy wingers then Lee's just what was wanted.

Certainly our most reliable passer. Elliott and Skuse should be able to do it but their hearts aren't in it.

Echoing what people have already said in the fact so pointless to play Cisse and Elliot together you could tell elliot had been instructed to be more attacking by the end of the first half but we all know elliot isn't very effective in the attacking midfield role. I would play LJ in a midfield of 5 of Rose Skuse Elliot and Johnson and then Adomah just in front of them but still effectively in midfield unsure if this would work but hard to balance having the left coverd but also some creative outlet with LJ not able to play in a 4 man midfield. But still much rather play Skuse and elliot/cisse Cm's and then Rose on left and Adomoah on right to give some balance.

LJ took us to Wembley. If he didn't get injured he may well have taken us to the promised land.....whilst playing the majority of the games in a two man central midfield.

Get him back in the team..... easily the most under-rated player to ever play for BCFC!

We often played 4411 with Noble and later Carle in behind and that season the division was FAR weaker than it has been any season since.

What reason is there to believe that we will suddenly have success with him in the middle when we haven't for the last couple of years?

We often played 4411 with Noble and later Carle in behind and that season the division was FAR weaker than it has been any season since.

What reason is there to believe that we will suddenly have success with him in the middle when we haven't for the last couple of years?

Did you watch the Barnsley game ? I can guarantee he would do better than what we saw last night that's for sure. Probably not a long term solution but we haven't got too much time to turn things around from what I'm seeing... I'm hoping now Gary's gone he can play with a bit more freedom and a lot less pressure on him with some of the numb nuts down the Gate starting to treat him with the same respect as they do for any other player.

I'm sorry but I'm not one of those who advocates Johnson coming back into the side.

I still firmly believe he's not good enough for this level, and the only reason people are calling for his return is because Hartley left and we haven't replaced him. Johnson is a poor second to Hartley - we need to improve the side, not clutch at straws and rely on journeymen midfielders like Johnson.

Archived