IGNORED

Why Did We Ever Get Rid Of Gary Johnson

red army

I know he's long gone and doing well at peterbrough but i miss the good time's. Things are really bad at the moment and make's you think what we did have and wonder what ever happened. i do really hope we sort it out but not looking good.

Because his era ran out of steam!

He was an excellent motivator but tactically inept at this level. We were found out for what we were, well organised but lacking any real quality players (Maynard aside).

You can only throw so many hand grenades before you lose the will and desire of the players to perform for you. That is why he is no longer at this club.

I know he's long gone and doing well at peterbrough but i miss the good time's. Things are really bad at the moment and make's you think what we did have and wonder what ever happened. i do really hope we sort it out but not looking good.

Because if he'd stayed we would already be in League 1, his woeful performances last season made us prime candidates. Fair play to KM he took over and saved our asses. Same problems exist, too many players are not up to Championship Standard and many others are currently putting less than full effort in, for whatever reason. KM has to deal with this, or its the back end of last season revisited, and we aint got a saviour in our ranks now,

I said at the time, we shouldn't get rid of him until we have a better replacement. We all supported Copout and we know how that story ended.

We were incredibly unlucky last season and morale couldn't be worse. There was rebellion and apparently 2 players who gave ultimatums.

Our current form was entirely predictable. We just have to wait and see if Millen is up to the job.

Ultimatums from 2 players? What utter bunkum. If, if that were true then they would be my first two players who I would frog march off the premises and ask them never to return. What a nerve.

I never beyed for GJ's blood, I wanted him to stay. He would have regrouped in the close season and we would be far better off now but that's gone... What is the point of harping back other than to stop laying into Millen I guess?!

He was an excellent motivator but tactically inept at this level. We were found out for what we were, well organised but lacking any real quality players (Maynard aside).

You can only throw so many hand grenades before you lose the will and desire of the players to perform for you. That is why he is no longer at this club.

What the odd one said.

He was given the cash to pay big wages last season but didn't get anything out of it.

I am sure and hope that he will be a great success at Peterborough.

Spot on! League 1 levelseems to be his forte. In August GJ's Posh beat the gas 3-0, came from behind to knock Cardiff out of the Cup and then won 3-0 at Plymuff. Who knows, if City had produced those resulst against Cardiff & Plymouth, Gary might still be here.

OMG!!! Worst case scenario; eight month's time City (on current form) drop back to League 1 whilst Gary J leads Posh up to replace us. :surrender:

Does make you wonder whether it was the players or manager mainly at fault for this whole debacle.

I agree with you mate, I always felt the players got off lightly as far as gary was concerned, he was willing to do the honourable thing and call it a day, however those players who gave the ultimatums are very lucky in my eyes, I think GJ signed a few players(Trundle,Hartley) who he found difficult to work with and who wouldn't accept his methods and it seemed to become a giant cancer that plagued the whole team, cos lets face it in every establishment the workers will always stick together over a boss.

Never mind though that has gone now, I actually thought Millen fielded a positive team yesterday, yet we still lost!

The answer is quite simple he had come to the end of his time at the club. he had done well in the first 3 years working with League 1 players. The wheels came off when he started to bring in championship players

Step back a bit if Holloway had been our manager at the start of last season where we have finished? Both Holloway and Atkins operated on a fraction of the money GJ received from SL they are much better managers at this level than GJ.

Look at the money wasted on Trundle Styvar and Clakson when wages are taken into account this must approach 5 million. Maynard was the 3rd choice after Moteab (heard a lot about him lately havent we??) Mifsud (whats he been doing recently?) and given the sort of bids we are getting for Maynard now c £3million he was overpriced at 2.25 million when purchased (and to annoy others was wasted in his first year here by being partnered with Adebola 10 goals with Adebola double without tells its own story)

When this years accounts are produced the losses for the 3 chamption years under GJ will approach 20 million. 20 million 5 years in the job to produce the team that KM inherited last March and people still think he was a "city legend"

Loan players were used in place of our academy graduates (this costs SL £1 million a year to run wasted if players arent given a chance).

Players played out of position unbalanced team the defence not strengthened (with the exception of Nyatanga who looks as dependable as some of our recent recruits)

The fact that the team needed rebuilding quickly (especially with Bradley and PH leaving after GJ) meant that whoever was in in charge would struggle until the team gelled.

Add a manager who doesnt beleive in preseason then leaves, and the uncertainty about the new stadium these are the real reasons we have a problem now GJ did well in league 1 took that team to edge of the premier but despite loads of money could not take the next step

Johnmson had lost the plot and it was time to go. Not forgetting "an alleged incident "at Plymouth. Some of our current problems relate back to him, we have quite a few Johnson players of limited ability, his knack of tying up contracts early meant that we had limited room to ship players out in the summer, the lack of youth policy means that we keep buying in players. However, having taken over a bloated and unbalanced squad, Coppell managed a bit more bloating with some ropey signings, and Millen has carried on that tradition. We did not need an expensive keeper, we did not need two stikers, and Rose is the wrong type of left-sided midfielder - With our very average full backs, we just cannot afford to play with two out and out wingers, particularly if both are learning at Championship level.

The answer is quite simple he had come to the end of his time at the club. he had done well in the first 3 years working with League 1 players. The wheels came off when he started to bring in championship players

Step back a bit if Holloway had been our manager at the start of last season where we have finished? Both Holloway and Atkins operated on a fraction of the money GJ received from SL they are much better managers at this level than GJ.

Look at the money wasted on Trundle Styvar and Clakson when wages are taken into account this must approach 5 million. Maynard was the 3rd choice after Moteab (heard a lot about him lately havent we??) Mifsud (whats he been doing recently?) and given the sort of bids we are getting for Maynard now c £3million he was overpriced at 2.25 million when purchased (and to annoy others was wasted in his first year here by being partnered with Adebola 10 goals with Adebola double without tells its own story)

When this years accounts are produced the losses for the 3 chamption years under GJ will approach 20 million. 20 million 5 years in the job to produce the team that KM inherited last March and people still think he was a "city legend"

Loan players were used in place of our academy graduates (this costs SL £1 million a year to run wasted if players arent given a chance).

Players played out of position unbalanced team the defence not strengthened (with the exception of Nyatanga who looks as dependable as some of our recent recruits)

The fact that the team needed rebuilding quickly (especially with Bradley and PH leaving after GJ) meant that whoever was in in charge would struggle until the team gelled.

Add a manager who doesnt beleive in preseason then leaves, and the uncertainty about the new stadium these are the real reasons we have a problem now GJ did well in league 1 took that team to edge of the premier but despite loads of money could not take the next step

Absolutely spot on, I could not be bothered to type in so much detail.

Johnmson had lost the plot and it was time to go. Not forgetting that he assaulted a player at Plymouth. Some of our current problems relate back to him, we have quite a few Johnson players of limited ability, his knack of tying up contracts early meant that we had limited room to ship players out in the summer, the lack of youth policy means that we keep buying in players. However, having taken over a bloated and unbalanced squad, Coppell managed a bit more bloating with some ropey signings, and Millen has carried on that tradition. We did not need an expensive keeper, we did not need two stikers, and Rose is the wrong type of left-sided midfielder - With our very average full backs, we just cannot afford to play with two out and out wingers, particularly if both are learning at Championship level.

Thats a pretty serious allegation you make there. I do not recall it being in the paper nor a case being brought against the man.

I'd be a little careful about making such remarks in a public place unless you have evidence to back to it up.

Thats a pretty serious allegation you make there. I do not recall it being in the paper nor a case being brought against the man.

I'd be a little careful about making such remarks in a public place unless you have evidence to back to it up.

Now do you approve? Perhaps you could delete bit that offends from your post to avoid any potential legal problems. I must admit, I thought that it had been reported in the press. This is how the Mirror put it-

Johnson immediately squared up to Campbell-Ryce which sparked a violent scuffle as other players like Ivan Sproule allegedly waded in.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Gary-Johnson-was-sacked-after-dressing-room-bust-up-at-Plymouth-article359631.html#ixzz0zy0Okwl3

Wasn't it to keepthe likes of Robbored happy? They must be absolutely delighted the way things are going now.

clearly Johnson and MILLEN had lost the plot for two years.

Sadly Steve L after cooppouts resignation went for a safe option in appointing millen.

We might as well have kept GJ in place as manager,we have just gone round in a circle with coppells appointment,then Millen's appointment.

SL does not have a good history with his management decision at BCFC.

Bloody well done, most sensible post so far :worship2:

Why did we ever get rid of Gary Johnson?

Because the notoriously fickle BCFC fanbase surpassed itself and couldn't see a good thing when it slapped them in the face.

Your either on a wind up or didnt watch us play for 18 months. The bloke lost the plot, lost the players and lost the fans because he was to stubborn to accept he was sometimes wrong. He was outwitted constantly by other coaches (Dave Jones 4 times in a couple months springs to mind!).

He knew he had to go as well and actually stated this when he left.

This is a well argued post. Not sure I agree with all of it but you make your point very well.

But if it is the case that GJ couldn't motivate Championship players...or the players needed to get us into a second promotion challenge...the question has to be asked why he stayed so long? He wasn't his own boss. The answer has to lie in the Boardroom. They're making the decisions on the development of the club off the field and they're responsible for appointing the management of the playing side and signing off transfers.

I think our Board get off pretty lightly on this forum.

He was an excellent motivator we were well organised but lacking some quality players (Maynard, Hartley, Ribeiro, Haynes aside).

A couple of slight modifications from me Jim...but about sums it up!

Thing that worries me is that Millen was Johnson student so must of picked a load of stuff up from him. I just hope he forgets it all and fast as he is making the same mistakes as Johnson did. (Like playing people in the wrong positions) Really hope he turns it around but at the moment im not to confident in his ability to get us out of this mess. He done ok end of last season but i think that was down to the players reacting to the change.

Archived