IGNORED

City Were Brilliant Tonite

Danny P

Just got back, City were class tonight, we created so many opportunities, a stone wall penalty which would have resulted in a red card, that would have changed the game completely.

Adamoah is a different standard!!! He never stops running, class touch and he creates havoc every time he runs at defenders.

The system worked well tonight, Caulker was solid with Carey, to be fair they never really troubled us, just 2 silly mistakes cost us dearly again. Stead, Skuse and Rose were fantastic tonight, Stead's work rate is unreal!!

I have seen threads banging on the performance doesn't matter, well try going to a game instead of sitting on here listening to the radio!! Because the team was dynamic and creative tonight, we have a nice shape with a good blend of players and its only a matter of time until the wins come!! Confidence is growing thats for sure! If we had a ref with even a mild bit of intelligence we would have hammered pompy 3 or 4 nil tonight. I had at least 3 pompy fans come up to me on the way back to the car saying they couldn't believe they won that.

I think we are in a similar position to Portsmouth in regards that its only a matter of time until a team receive a hammering from us, we have so many options and so much pace upfront, we will hammer a team soon!! No Doubt!!

That certainly didn't look like a bottom two team!! Confidence is growing and we will beat Norwich saturday, if we replicate that performance we will be a right handful in this league, I think we are really starting to move forward now, lets hope tonight wasn't a flash in the pan and hopefully we might get abit of luck we deserve!!

If you went to that game tonight you couldn't help but be impressed by City! Thats the first time i have ever watched us lose but had a sense of optimism!

Be positive honestly it doesn't hurt, try being proud of our club instead of slagging it off, or at least try going to the match before you start putting your 2 pennies worth in!

ADAMOAH IS ABSOULT CLASS!!! What a find!

for all you people who dont like this comment, and as much as i hate to say it, simplyred is correct.

this is what makes football the most wonderful, most frustrating, most loved game in the world.

We can play so well, but lose by 2 goals. I hate it, you hate, we all hate it, but, just as an example, would you rather we played crap and won or played well and lose??? we could be mid-table / playoffs or even higher by christmas if we play crap and win every game till then, or we can play well, keep losing, and fall adrift at the bottom of the league.

and dont be a smart arse and say play well and win, cuz life just aint that fair. (although it would be nice)

hopefully we can convert these performances into wins.

Surely the point is though, that with all the doom and gloom and 'Millen out' talk tonight from people who weren't at the game, that we've gone from abject against Watford, to poor against Coventry, to a good away point at Burnley, to what by all accounts tonight was a very good performance in which we were very unlucky. To me, as someone who wasnt at either of the two away games but has heard from those who were, this sounds like progress, and suggests that it might not be time for the panic button just yet. I guess after the Norwich game things will be clearer.

Surely the point is though, that with all the doom and gloom and 'Millen out' talk tonight from people who weren't at the game, that we've gone from abject against Watford, to poor against Coventry, to a good away point at Burnley, to what by all accounts tonight was a very good performance in which we were very unlucky. To me, as someone who wasnt at either of the two away games but has heard from those who were, this sounds like progress, and suggests that it might not be time for the panic button just yet. I guess after the Norwich game things will be clearer.

dont get me wrong, it's got better. Millen must be given time.

There is no point in appointing a new guy.

I could not make tonight as could not get time off work, but based on those who were there Millen's words do seem to be getting across and we're playing more like we did when he took charge last year.

I thought it was a decent away performance and we were well worth at least a point. Adomah looked the best player on the pitch by a mile and we played some really good stuff, especially in the second half. The fact we conceded the second to yet another set piece is very dissappointinga nd this is something we need to correct sooner rather than later! I still can't believe their third goal, one of the most blatant fouls you will ever see and the ref plays on, resulting in a goal. An unbelievable decision.

Overall it was a good away performance but the fact we've left with nothing is very worrying, and I'm absolutely gutted (as well as baffled) as to how we lost tonight!

A lot of positives from tonight, definitely the best performance of the season, pity it was against a pretty good Pompey side, and a pretty poor ref. With Utaka, Kitson, Nugent, Lawrence and Brown against us, defending always was going to be difficult, and for much of the game we more than matched them. the system worked well, and all players looked pretty comfortable, although Jamie Mac may not be ideal ay left wing-back. Signing Caulker (Who looked good), then playing with 5 at the back says rather a lot about Stewart, Hunt and Cisse. On the negative side, Rose falls down far too easily, Adomah gets muscled off the ball too often, and I wonder if two 'rookies' is ideal support for Stead at the present time. Pitman might be better if we tried passing to his feet occasionally, rather than his head!

Thought the first penalty was a cert, and they scored a minute or two later, so a pretty key incident. Their third goal was a joke. Overall, lots of good things, but still a few worries.

Echo the thoughts of everyone else that was there tonight.

Be very clear about this - it was a fantastic game of football between 2 very positive, committed teams with quality all over the pitch.

The City team we put out tonight is the most skilful and attacking we have seen in years.

All very well comments like performances dont win points well doh no shit sherlock but I didn't hear one person leaving tonight with anything negative to say.

It was an improvement- I wouldn't say brilliant though. A brilliant performance wouldn't have seen us conceed those first two goals. The positives were we did for once create chances- strikers should be getting on the end of those Adomah crosses.

Yes the ref cost us probably one pen and the last goal but we should never have been 2-1 down.

We will be down the bottom for a long time until we sort out giving away soft goals.

Those who didn't go are just seeing the result and the goals we let in. That was by far the best performance of the season! We we devastating and a real threat just no rub of the green and ref was atrocious every person who actually went will tell you this!

Cracking atmosphere to lads we really made it happen! Best away day this season and for a long time! For someone who lives in bournemouth and seen all home games and 3 away you would say I'm doing quite well!

Arm chair supporters **** off

I didn't go but not sure why anyone would expect points. We changed system, changed a defence that kept a clean sheet at Burnley and for some reason still aren't playing LJ even though he's performed every time (?) he's been on the pitch this season.

We took lots of risks, they didn't pay off but when you get 3 points for a win and only 1 for a draw and the team don't mind losing too much, I think risks are worth taking.

<br />Just got back, City were class tonight,
<br />

That is great to hear. Shame the result - which is what really matters - didn't go our way... but at least there's a bit of hope for Saturday.

Right now, we need points more than good performances, I'd say.

Those who didn't go are just seeing the result and the goals we let in. That was by far the best performance of the season! We we devastating and a real threat just no rub of the green and ref was atrocious every person who actually went will tell you this!

Cracking atmosphere to lads we really made it happen! Best away day this season and for a long time! For someone who lives in bournemouth and seen all home games and 3 away you would say I'm doing quite well!

Arm chair supporters **** off

Thats a worry. Best performance and we still got comfortably beat by a team struggling themselfs. The thing is we conceeded two more goals from set plays, until the shite defending stops we will always be up against it. If you and others want to take comfort from the ref not being the best so be it. IMO you're dodging the real problem.

Your last comment is pethetic.

A Lot has been made of our attacking play which was good, Jamo also had a good game in goal very commanding in the area, just a shame once again that the Defence and Midfield couldn't work as a unit.

As I said in another thread I still believe that we should play the 3-5-2 but with 2 defensive centre midfielders with LJ in front of them and then play Adomah & Rose on the wings with Stead and Pitman up front a bit like this:

.........................................James.....................................................

Caulker..........................Carey...........................Fonts..................

....................Elliott/Skuse......................Cisse...............................

Adomah..........................Johnson.......................Rose.................

.......................Stead..............................Pitman.............................

Just back from the game

Great performance. Stead worked hard and Ademoah was exciting to watch

The new lad in defence did well too for someone so young - I found him quite composed and assured on the ball

It was good to see Millen go for all out attack in the second half.

John Utaka for Pompey was man of the match for me. A different class

John Utaka who is allegidely on £70000 a week. I think that shows what were competing against.

Totally agree with most of these comments. We have to take the positives from last night. Going forward we were brilliant.

Adamoah and Stead looked a different class. Rose & Skuse had their best game of the season for me.

Defensively overall we looked good, it was just two stupid soft goals (as usual) and one that the ref can claim an assist on himself.

Hopefully we can carry this form over against Norwich and cut out the silly errors at the back.

Totally agree with most of these comments. We have to take the positives from last night. Going forward we were brilliant.

Adamoah and Stead looked a different class. Rose & Skuse had their best game of the season for me.

Defensively overall we looked good, it was just two stupid soft goals (as usual) and one that the ref can claim an assist on himself.

Hopefully we can carry this form over against Norwich and cut out the silly errors at the back.

Can you honestly class us defensively good if we concede not one but two soft goals? On top of the soft goals given away in previous games recently? A defence cant just be good for 95+ minutes, and have a few minutes off here and there so the opposition can score. Certainly not if we what to turn around this poor run.

for all you people who dont like this comment, and as much as i hate to say it, simplyred is correct.

this is what makes football the most wonderful, most frustrating, most loved game in the world.

We can play so well, but lose by 2 goals. I hate it, you hate, we all hate it, but, just as an example, would you rather we played crap and won or played well and lose??? we could be mid-table / playoffs or even higher by christmas if we play crap and win every game till then, or we can play well, keep losing, and fall adrift at the bottom of the league.

and dont be a smart arse and say play well and win, cuz life just aint that fair. (although it would be nice)

hopefully we can convert these performances into wins.

What a dumb comment - what if we play bad and still lose ?

Of course winning is better than losing, whether we play well or badly 3 points is three points - but to suggest that if we play badly we will win and be mid table by Christmas makes me think you have been drinking to much Kool aid

Can you honestly class us defensively good if we concede not one but two soft goals? On top of the soft goals given away in previous games recently? A defence cant just be good for 95+ minutes, and have a few minutes off here and there so the opposition can score. Certainly not if we what to turn around this poor run.

I totally agree with your point but what I am getting at is that we didn't look all over the place. At least we looked more organised as a defensive unit overall. If we can just cut out the stupid soft goals then we may turn it around. I saw it as an improvement, that is not to say we are anywhere near where we need to be yet.

Thats a worry. Best performance and we still got comfortably beat by a team struggling themselfs. The thing is we conceeded two more goals from set plays, until the shite defending stops we will always be up against it. If you and others want to take comfort from the ref not being the best so be it. IMO you're dodging the real problem.

Your last comment is pethetic.

Well, I'd have to agree about what you call the 'real problem' - if by that you mean, as I assume you do, the fact that we're one off bottom of the league, but I think you're quite wrong about two things.

First up, we were absolutely not 'comfortably beaten' or anything remotely like it. Did you see the game? I'd be surprised if you did, as it would be hard to understand how you could make that comment based on what actually happened on the pitch.

Secondly, Pompey looked anything but a 'struggling team'. They have quality players all through their side. Utaka vied with Adomah for MoM and gave City, and Ribeiro in particular, problems all night. Add to him Kitson, Lawrence, Nugent and a few others: that was not a bottom three team we played out there last night. The only surprise is that it's taken them until now to chalk up a couple of back-to-back wins.

The game as a whole was pulsating, end-to-end stuff and quite the best match I've seen for ages. A 2-2 draw would probably have been just about fair to both sides, but there was no question we were the better team for long periods.

On the positive side, I would echo all that's been said about the performance. This was only our third game since the debacle against Watford, when we were scarily bad and played like a random collection of blokes who'd never met before and had just been dragged out of the pub. Last night's performance was, in many respects, terrific, and the team was completely unrecognisable from that earlier game. It was nothing less than a transformation and in that sense the progress made has been remarkable, so I don't think one can say that Millen's achieved nothing in that short time. They looked much more coherent in the new formation and played some excellent attacking football.

The worry remains, of course, the mistakes that continue to be made in both penalty areas. Defensively, I think you can discount the third goal to some extent, as you'd have to credit the officials with an assist on that one, and we were in any case chasing the game, totally committed to attack with just a couple of minutes left and liable to being caught on the break. The first was due to Ribeiro being unable to cope with the winger and allowing him to cut inside and run free acrossthe edge of our box. You could see the goal coming before the guy even struck the shot. The second was even more disappointing, especially after we'd deservedly equalised, but if you're going to concede near post headers from corners than you'll always have problems and that's got to be sorted p.d.q. The new guy from Spurs may help when he's settled: I thought it was a very promising debut for a bloke who's barely been here five minutes.

At the other end, we lack a poacher. We put more dangerous quality balls in from wide positions, especially our right flank, than I've seen us do in many a game and we really should have converted more than one of those. Adomah gave an astonishingly mature performance for a player who was at Barnet until this year and his progress continues to amaze me. He was outstanding and neither he not any other City player deserved to finish on the losing side.

Like you. I remain deeply concerned at our current position, but like Pompey, if we carry on playing like that, it will improve. A little more balance between positives and negatives here would be welcome, but I won't hold my breath on that score.

I read most of it.....

I take the point that the general performance was improved, but like you say we are STILL making basic mistakes where it counts, no matter how well you play of you keep handing the opposition cheap goals you are always going to be up against it.

This is where the concern is for me. We play 6 teams from the top 10 in the next 10 matches or so. Sort the basic errors or we'll be in all kinds of trouble.

don't think 3-1 is a bad result, especailly considering their 3rd was later on when we were pressing for a equaliser and got hit on the counter, under johnson we would have been trying to defend a 2-1 defeat, under millen we went all out to get a draw but got counter. rather lose 3-1 by going for it, than sitting back playing casual and losing 2-1

Consdiering the performance things are improving and I don't see any reason for change.

remember 10/11 new players, new manager and assistant and lots of new ideas and gelling are forming together.

Performances are getting better results will follow soon

What a dumb comment - what if we play bad and still lose ?

Of course winning is better than losing, whether we play well or badly 3 points is three points - but to suggest that if we play badly we will win and be mid table by Christmas makes me think you have been drinking to much Kool aid

from now until christmas day there are 13 games

13 x 3 = 39.

Add that to the 6 points we already have, that puts us on 45 points.

This was purely a hypothetical scenario cuz let's be fair, if it happens, it will be record breaking galore.

and about your "what if we play bad and still lose" comment, well then that's our problem, we gain nothing from it, and we still get 0 points.

whether we play well or badly, if they score more than us, we still end up with nothing, but we'll be able to take that performance into the next game. If we play badly, KM has to look at his tactics / players etc and wonder how to change it.

At this moment in time, i'd take a win while playing crap. It's all well and good playing good football, but the table does not lie. I'd take 1-0 wins any day of the week. Yeah the 90 mins could be dross, but as soon as the final whistle goes and we've got 3 points, it's all worth while.

Terrible ref, seemed scared to give anything against them all night the only thing missing was a pen for them cos that would have topped it off! Lets just hope we play like that on saturday and for the rest of the season cos sooner or later someone is going to get a right dicking at the gate!

Archived