IGNORED

Credit To Millen - Youth

thatcham red

How long have we be saying to give youth a chance at the Gate?

Well, Caulker made a strong debut, Adomah was a constant threat and Rose started to show some real quality last night. OK, Ribs had a difficult one, but add in Skuse as well, our line up showed a great commitment to youth. Credit to Millen I say for going down that route.

A draw would have been a fair result, the crunch moment was the Haines header, which would have made it 2-2.

Oh, and he ref really did have a shocker, making some bizarre decisions for both sides :disapointed2se:

Well, Caulker made a strong debut, Adomah was a constant threat and Rose started to show some real quality last night. OK, Ribs had a difficult one, but add in Skuse as well, our line up showed a great commitment to youth. Credit to Millen I say for going down that route.

A draw would have been a fair result, the crunch moment was the Haines header, which would have made it 2-2.

Oh, and he ref really did have a shocker, making some bizarre decisions for both sides :disapointed2se:

Totally agree.

Millen is willing to use young and inexperienced players many of whom have decent pace. He's also prepared to leave out players who aren't pulling their weight.

Listening to commentry last night I actually felt an buzz of excitement as City bombed forward. That buzz has been a rare commodity in recent seasons. Its obvious that Millen wants to create an attacking team full of pace and flare and I applaud that. We just have to remember that re-building a team takes time.

Totally agree.

Millen is willing to use young and inexperienced players many of whom have decent pace. He's also prepared to leave out players who aren't pulling their weight.

Listening to commentry last night I actually felt an buzz of excitement as City bombed forward. That buzz has been a rare commodity in recent seasons. Its obvious that Millen wants to create an attacking team full of pace and flare and I applaud that. We just have to remember that re-building a team takes time.

How long does he get, though?

What if we are still in the bottom two in December? November?

Millen inherited a mess, not of GJ's making (despite what some might think) but of his half hearted predecessor, I genuinely want him to succeed but results must improve in the next 4 or 5 otherwise we'll be adrift.

But were not really blooding 'youngsters' are we? What I class giving youth a chance (and what pleases me) is when we see OUR youth products coming through. Ribs is the only one. Adomah is new this season, and yes he maybe young but we paid for him (and Maynard is not our youth product= 2.75mil). As for Rose and Caulker, were simply blooding Spurs' youngsters....which is fine if they do well for us along the way, but ultimately they're no long term benefit for us (i.e big transfer fee or sell on clause).

What your post serves to show is the complete lack of youngsters coming through our own system...

But were not really blooding 'youngsters' are we? What I class giving youth a chance (and what pleases me) is when we see OUR youth products coming through. Ribs is the only one. Adomah is new this season, and yes he maybe young but we paid for him (and Maynard is not our youth product= 2.75mil). As for Rose and Caulker, were simply blooding Spurs' youngsters....which is fine if they do well for us along the way, but ultimately they're no long term benefit for us (i.e big transfer fee or sell on clause).

What your post serves to show is the complete lack of youngsters coming through our own system...

Thats fair comment but its not Millen's fault that our academy hasn't produced enough quality in recent times. Thats why we are bringing in youngsters from Spurs. Both Rose and Caulker are far better players than what Millen has available through Citys own academy.

The original point remains - that Millen is willing to introduce youngsters if they are good enough. Its just a bit of a shame that he has to import them.

Thats fair comment but its not Millen's fault that our academy hasn't produced enough quality in recent times. Thats why we are bringing in youngsters from Spurs. Both Rose and Caulker are far better players than what Millen has available through Citys own academy.

The original point remains - that Millen is willing to introduce youngsters if they are good enough. Its just a bit of a shame that he has to import them.

Of course they are, they're from a Champions league club....these are not only Spurs' but some of Englands' exciting new prospects, you'd expect them to be good. No real gamble for Millen to play them is it? And how much of this is Millen, or how much is Wiggers? (They are both England youth right?) And as I said great for us if we have them for a bit, but I wish we were blooding our own youngsters.

Of course they are, they're from a Champions league club....these are not only Spurs' but some of Englands' exciting new prospects, you'd expect them to be good. No real gamble for Millen to play them is it? And how much of this is Millen, or how much is Wiggers? (They are both England youth right?) And as I said great for us if we have them for a bit, but I wish we were blooding our own youngsters.

Just because young loan players are from a top club, still doesn't mean they will be any good, we've had duff loan players from the likes of Arsenal and Spurs in the past, these players however have been scouted well and are looking good.

There would be a lot more credit to be handed out if we were winning games with a team of youngsters. Anyone can pick a young team to lose - Brian Tinnion made a (brief and unsuccessful) career as a manager doing just that.

Personally I couldn't care less whether they are home-grown youngsters or come from the Prem - as long as they 'affect the game' (as we used to say at BCFC when we had a experienced manager and were top half of the table season after season...)

What Albert said in Sweden was that he was presigned under GJ. It was already a done deal by the time SC was appointed.

When did he 'say' that? i havent heard it? could you post the interview for me to listen to please? credit to the johnson brothers if he was there signing, thats some real talent spotting!

There would be a lot more credit to be handed out if we were winning games with a team of youngsters. Anyone can pick a young team to lose - Brian Tinnion made a (brief and unsuccessful) career as a manager doing just that.

Personally I couldn't care less whether they are home-grown youngsters or come from the Prem - as long as they 'affect the game' (as we used to say at BCFC when we had a experienced manager and were top half of the table season after season...)

Sounds harsh.

Early days, I would proffer.

I would rather not get into the whole debate about Johnson going, but his time was up and I for one am looking forwards, not backwards.

I wouldn't normally post this, but why don't you do one, Martin? If its so bad for you, go away for a bit and do us all,and yourself a favour.

I'm pleased that we at last have some thing different in the squad home based talent or not,its easy to jump on Keith Millens back but as long as City stay up then its job done for this season.... Ok at the moment its not good but even if Coppell had stayed it would proberly still have been mid-table at best,you can't blame the manager for players mistakes Portsmouth was a

AWFUL result looking purely scorewise but according to those that went things looked better than previous efforts,i have found over the years the support vocal wise and team backing in general is better when the true hard core support gets behind City.

I wouldn't normally post this, but why don't you do one, Martin? If its so bad for you, go away for a bit and do us all,and yourself a favour.

Yeah, right - 'you can post on this forum, but only if you agree with me' - is that how it works Roger? You and I joined this forum on virtually the same date in 2003 yet you've posted four times as often as I have in those seven years - maybe you think you own the place now...

Virtually zero City fans wanted Millen as permanent manager when GJ left and virtually zero wanted him as permanent manager when Coppell left. Yet now he is our permanent manager and delivering relegation-form results we are all supposed to praise him to the rafters on OTIB - don't think so.

My days of blindly following any doctrine - political, religious or sporting - are long gone. I call it as I see it and what I see right now is a boy sent to do a man's job sitting in the AG hotseat. If you don't like it, tough.

Virtually zero City fans wanted Millen as permanent manager when GJ left and virtually zero wanted him as permanent manager when Coppell left.

Wrong! I'd accept that many City fans weren't enthusiastic about Millens appointment but many would at least give the bloke a chance to overcome the problems he inherited and build the team he want.

You don't seem to be prepared to even give Millen a chance to prove himself even though we are not yet 10 games into a new season. There are numerous threads/posts on here explaining the difficulties that Millen has had to deal with, injury disrupted pre-season, the Coppell fiasco and many fans realise that Rome wasn't built in a day and that he needs time.

The good news is that in the last three games there are signs of improvement.

Wrong! I'd accept that many City fans weren't enthusiastic about Millens appointment but many would at least give the bloke a chance to overcome the problems he inherited and build the team he want.

You don't seem to be prepared to even give Millen a chance to prove himself even though we are not yet 10 games into a new season. There are numerous threads/posts on here explaining the difficulties that Millen has had to deal with, injury disrupted pre-season, the Coppell fiasco and many fans realise that Rome wasn't built in a day and that he needs time.

Robbo - I haven't got time to go back and find it but there was a poll on here when GJ left asking people who they wanted to be our next manager - Millen got about 1% of the votes as I recall. There wasn't time for anyone to do a poll when Coppell left because Millen was given the job two minutes later but all the comments on here that day were to the effect 'Why isn't he caretaker again until we find a proper manager?'

I personally think he is out of his depth and wouldn't get a manager's job at any other Championship club. I doubt many League One clubs would offer him a manager's job either. That's my opinion - I'm entitled to it, just as you were entitled to slag off GJ. That's what forums are all about - opinions.

Not sure what joy there was to be taken from the Coventry game. We were certainly better in the second half than the first, however that really isnt saying a great deal. For a home side we showed little desire and a glaring lack of penetration, I certainly didnt come away from that game feeling we were making progress.

Pretty much all accounts suggest we were incredibly fortunate to get a point at Burnely, granted a point that I did not think we would get, but a missed penatly, hitting the upright more than once and a succession of David James saves do not equate to 'improvement' in my view. For games like that if you're a City reporter you gloss over the reality with words like 'well contested' or 'brave', if you're a Burnley reporter you justifiably write 'onslaught' or 'siege'.

The Portsmouth performance for sure was encouraging. I was sceptical about the change of formation but it clearly reaped some positives and I hope we move on from there. Whilst the scoreline was disappointing there were definately signs of improvement or at least, for the first time in quite some time, because lets not fool ourselves our only win this season away at S****horpe was a 'well contested' affair, reasons to be hopeful.

So I think it's quite the exaggeration to suggest we have seen signs of improvement in the last three games. Certainly, I completely agree, Tuesday was an encouraging performance and it is imperative we build on that Saturday, but under Millen so far signs of improvement have been few and far between, clearly to such an extent that exaggeration is the order of the day.

Archived