IGNORED

How Long Should Sl Give It....?

spudski

How many Assistant mangers make succesful Managers? Not Many, you name them.

Answer: every Liverpool manager after Bill Shankley right up until Kenny Dalgleish in the 1990s. Give us an assistant manager like Bob Paisley and we'll fly into the top half of the Premier League. We've got to buy in our managers though.

Easier to mention the ones who fail...

Steve MacLaren

Steve Wigley.. oops

Sammy Lee

Brian Kidd

thats my starter for 10.

MacLaren?

Do you even follow football?

Boro, Carling Cup Winners, UEFA Cup Final. FC Twente, Dutch League Champions, Champions League...now at Wolfsburg..

One poor spell with England doesnt make him bad.

Paying for a quality manager, will have a knock on effect.

You're right. Alas, I thought Steve Coppell would have been a quality manager for us - how wrong I was. Just because Steve Coppell did not turn out to be all he seemed doesn't mean the club should give up on trying to sign a quality proven manager.

Apparantly we gave a better performance last night, but we still lost 3-1.

We are adrift at the bottom with 6 points from 9 games. We have a GD of -28 to leaders QPR...after just 9 games!!!

Throughout October, we have to play Norwich, Cardiff, Reading, QPR and 'boro... I can see us getting a max of 3 points out of them if we're lucky.

Regardless of the sentiments of giving Millen a chance and getting behind the Club...this is blind optimism and Support.

We have been going backwards steadily since the middle of last season. Facts are facts, and as seasoned supporters, we can see with our own eye's, we are simply not good enough. You only have to watch and listen to Millen and you can tell he knows this.

We have the lingering Stadium issue, which has now become so important to the Club, that it is giving a destraction and extra pressure to what is happening on the pitch.

So....How long does SL give it? Is he possibly going to let us go down, as long as we win the Stadium issue?

Having to juggle both important issues, must be a nightmare.

You have to feel sorry for the bloke...the pressure must be immense. I feel ill just watching our lot...watching City definately isn't good for your health.

If it were me, and we are bottom or adrift with no apparant improvement by the end of October, then i would make swift changes, so it at least gives us a chance of recovering.

Any thoughts Guys?

Why? He is the Chairman of this football club and will be fully aware that there will be tough periods. I don't feel sorry for him, I expect him to lead this football club to the best of his ability, which I believe he is trying to do. If approaching Christmas we have seen no improvement then I think a change will be neccessary, as was the case at Reading last season when they ditched Rodgers. But I firmly believe we should not replace him yet, the second half performance against Coventry, the point at Turf Moor and yesterday's performance suggest to me we are heading in the right direction, and I am looking forward to what will hopefully be a hugely positive performance for the first time at home this season on Saturday.

I do understand the concern, and factors such as losing games when playing well and failing to win at home of course point to relegation which is hugely worrying. I think we should stick with Millen for the time being, however I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about what this season holds.

however I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about what this season holds.

I'm worried simply because I remember how long and how hard this club had to fight to get out of the poxy and now Gas ridden Div 1. Everything should be done to protect our Championship status.

Why? He is the Chairman of this football club and will be fully aware that there will be tough periods. I don't feel sorry for him, I expect him to lead this football club to the best of his ability, which I believe he is trying to do. If approaching Christmas we have seen no improvement then I think a change will be neccessary, as was the case at Reading last season when they ditched Rodgers. But I firmly believe we should not replace him yet, the second half performance against Coventry, the point at Turf Moor and yesterday's performance suggest to me we are heading in the right direction, and I am looking forward to what will hopefully be a hugely positive performance for the first time at home this season on Saturday.

I do understand the concern, and factors such as losing games when playing well and failing to win at home of course point to relegation which is hugely worrying. I think we should stick with Millen for the time being, however I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about what this season holds.

I feel sorry for him, because i go to bed every night with a frown on my face and my head banging like no tomorrow...and i'm just a fan.

I'd hate to have the pressure he's got, regardless of whether he's aware of the tough periods or not.

You wouldn't wish them on anyone...would you?

i think millen should be given at least till end of jan, that is 4 months, 4 months to try and make it work, he deserves at least this....it is still very early in the season but if we are still in bottom 3 at end of jan we surely have to look at options as losing our championship status will be very harmful. I am hoping that maynard comes back by december and give millen at least 1 good month of having him available to try and help things.....Millen has spent good money on stead and pitman so far and has brought in 2 supposedly good tottenham youth players but things still arnt coming up to scratch. Pitman was bought for 800k but has not scored and is not even starting at the moment, for however good stead maybe at holding play up he will only score 7/8/9 goals this season.....which without a regular goalscorer alongside him is not good enough.

For me Lee Johnson has to be brought back in asap as he is probaly our most creative midfielder on the books at the mo, however sad that may sound to anti lee johnson supporters, but skuse/elliot/cisse are all to similar and rose is not a central midfielder.

i really am worried for us at the moment, and am dreading the table at the end of october as with our fixtures i think we will still be in bottom 3, but if millen still has us fighting for survival in jan it will be a tough decision as to what to do at that point

I feel sorry for him, because i go to bed every night with a frown on my face and my head banging like no tomorrow...and i'm just a fan.

I'd hate to have the pressure he's got, regardless of whether he's aware of the tough periods or not.

You wouldn't wish them on anyone...would you?

Yes! I'm pretty sure a hell of a lot of people would like to be chairman of a football club, they just have nowhere enar enough money. Time's are tough, but I don't feel sorry for him, he's a proven business man who has enjoyed a successful reign over us in the last few seasons. Yes the stadium issues must be hugely frustrating for him as he's not only spent a lot of time on the project but he's also pumped his own money into it, and I'm sure all these little niggles are doing his head in. However, he has a job to do as chairman and I do not feel sorry for him, instead I support him and hope he makes the correct decisions where this club is concerned, which of course haven't always been the case in the past, although not for want of trying.

KM should be given as long as it takes, that some people are posting sh1te like this says legions about them. There's the last two years of lack of renewal/upgrading to deal with before we move on. Get behind the management and team.

I'll get behind the management and team for as long as it's obvious they are doing a good job. If the Club are in jepardy of relegation and ruining this Club, then i will call for change.

Fans at successful Clubs like Man U and Liverpool are doing the same, when they can see the harm being done to their Club. Just because SL has deemed it right to appoint KM, doesn't mean it's the right decision.

I'm not one for following blindly, just because they are Chairman and manager. Both could walk tomorrow...I want what's best for BCFC, and results and performances and unwise spending have been terrible over the past two seasons.

Fans need to stand up and make their feelings known, rather than blindlessly following what is told of them.

This is our Club...

I'll get behind the management and team for as long as it's obvious they are doing a good job. If the Club are in jepardy of relegation and ruining this Club, then i will call for change.

Fans at successful Clubs like Man U and Liverpool are doing the same, when they can see the harm being done to their Club. Just because SL has deemed it right to appoint KM, doesn't mean it's the right decision.

I'm not one for following blindly, just because they are Chairman and manager. Both could walk tomorrow...I want what's best for BCFC, and results and performances and unwise spending have been terrible over the past two seasons.

Fans need to stand up and make their feelings known, rather than blindlessly following what is told of them.

This is our Club...

KM's been in charge for seven(?) games, after a completely sh1te pre-season and 18 months of downward movement. Brian Mcdermott at Reading may be a good example of someone who was given time to turn things around after a sh1te start. Give it a few more months before deciding you don't support the club and its actions.

KM's been in charge for seven(?) games, after a completely sh1te pre-season and 18 months of downward movement. Brian Mcdermott at Reading may be a good example of someone who was given time to turn things around after a sh1te start. Give it a few more months before deciding you don't support the club and its actions.

As i've said before, depending on results and performance in other posts, i'll give it as it takes, as long as relegation isn't imminent. BTBH, i really do worry about SL's judgement, when it comes to management and the sanctioning of certain players we have bought.

Great businessman, but poor judge of football knowledge in my book.

Great businessman, but poor judge of football knowledge in my book.

You may be right, but I would suggest that SL is no worse/ no better than the vast majority of chairmen in pro football, when it comes to picking managers, in particular. You only have to look at the manager merry go round to see that. He's employing a football manager, with that football managers knowledge, to deal with that side of things. Some times it works, lots of times it doesn't. I know that my own success rate at appointing the right man would be pretty appalling, as i believe would be yours and most of the contributers on here. Only time will tell if he has chosen correctly on this occasion, so give him a chance, and post when that chance has been given.

You may be right, but I would suggest that SL is no worse/ no better than the vast majority of chairmen in pro football, when it comes to picking managers, in particular. You only have to look at the manager merry go round to see that. He's employing a football manager, with that football managers knowledge, to deal with that side of things. Some times it works, lots of times it doesn't. I know that my own success rate at appointing the right man would be pretty appalling, as i believe would be yours and most of the contributers on here. Only time will tell if he has chosen correctly on this occasion, so give him a chance, and post when that chance has been given.

I concur with what your saying. But i know, if i employed people in my business, that left within a year because they were homesick ( Hartley), and another that left within 16 weeks because of 'personal reasons'( Coppell), i would definitely be questioning my judgement at interview level. And they are just two of many. I have been left dumbfounded by many football decisions SL makes, but because he is a good accountant and businessman, the fans think the sun shines out of his proverbial...

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to change SL as our Chairman, I think he's the best we've ever had. But...I do question his Football knowledge and judgement. There's nothing wrong with trying to keep on improving on the already strong foundation we have. It's always best to question and search for better imho. That's what i've found in business...and it works.

Guest Arthur Lee

The people who follow City on the road have said they are starting to play brilliantly. I can see us thumping Norwich, getting a point at Cardiff, then beating QPR & Reading to take us into play-off contention. Againsts the odds we beat Newcastle & West Brom at home last year, and we tend to perform better against higher quality opposition.

Saturday will mark the turning point and all this doom & gloom will be long forgotten.

Get ready for the Premier League - Keef is our leader!

The people who follow City on the road have said they are starting to play brilliantly. I can see us thumping Norwich, getting a point at Cardiff, then beating QPR & Reading to take us into play-off contention. Againsts the odds we beat Newcastle & West Brom at home last year, and we tend to perform better against higher quality opposition.

Saturday will mark the turning point and all this doom & gloom will be long forgotten.

Get ready for the Premier League - Keef is our leader!

People pay good money for what you're on...keep believing! ;)

Guest Arthur Lee

People pay good money for what you're on...keep believing! ;)

Up until i saw the highlights, i thought we wouldn't get a point til Leicester - November 20th!

But the 30 seconds worth of highlights put me on a buzz.

Saturday is the start of a really decent run - i can feel it.

Guest Parson St Station

Can I just ask a pertinent question?

Cisse, Stewart and Hunt were all decent footballers at their previous clubs. Howcome the minute they enter Ashton Gate they suddenly become utter shite?

Our record of transforming decent players into rubbish has been phenominal over the last few years and there must be a reason.

I think the lack of clear direction on the pitch is one and certainly think that SL's policy of appointing "yes" men is a factor.

Does SL interfere behind the scenes?

If I'd pumped 30 million pounds into BCFC I bloody well would!

Maybe SL is more 'hands-on' than we know, and maybe, just maybe, thats why Coppell walked.

SL is the best chairman we've ever had and are ever likely to get but its totally clueless to think that he doesn't approve/ sanction all the major decisions made at City. Including signings and possibly influencing team selection.

Who knows, I certainly don't but its worth considering that SL may be too'hands-on' for the footballing side of the club to let the manager "manage".

Any thoughts?

(I'll just put my tin hat and body armour on :dancing6: )

I don't think it was commitment that was lacking from SC, but something else, otherwise SL would have been spitting feather at being left in the mire...much more to it than that imo. The whole story being covered up, speaks volumes...anyway i digress.

How long would you give Millen then? I suggested the end of October if things are no different. When would you decide to make a move...or wouldn't you? Would you let us go down with Millen at the helm?

Just asking, not wanting to argue...just interested in peoples thoughts...

Agree. End of October. Bar Maynard we have most of the squad fit and available including the pair from Spurs. If it doesn't improve by then it won't at all, but there'll be enough time for another manager to try to avoid relegation (which would be an utter disaster). I hope KM will turn it around but if I were SL I'd be thinking about what Plan B might look like..

Cisse, Stewart and Hunt were all decent footballers at their previous clubs. Howcome the minute they enter Ashton Gate they suddenly become utter shite?

Our record of transforming decent players into rubbish has been phenominal over the last few years and there must be a reason.

I think the lack of clear direction on the pitch is one and certainly think that SL's policy of appointing "yes" men is a factor.

Maybe SL is more 'hands-on' than we know, and maybe, just maybe, thats why Coppell walked.

SL is the best chairman we've ever had and are ever likely to get but its totally clueless to think that he doesn't approve/ sanction all the major decisions made at City. Including signings and possibly influencing team selection.

Who knows, I certainly don't but its worth considering that SL may be too'hands-on' for the footballing side of the club to let the manager "manage".

Any thoughts?

I have huge regard for SL, however I suspect a grain of truth in this..

Any thoughts?

Let me get this right, after all this time with GJ, SL has secretly been behind the scenes deciding play style and personnel.

Then Keith took other the end of last Season SL changed his mind on play style. Then SL appoints Coppell, and decides to bring in a lot of players that SL wants, and starts playing 4-4-2 (meddlsome Chairman that he is). SC leaves and SL decides that actually he wants to bring in even more players on top of those he already did (nothing to do with Keith shaping the team, or wanting new personnel) and also decides that he's not so keen on 4-4-2 after all...... Keith must have had a right moan when SL came to him before Portsmouth, cast his die and told him to change personnel again formation AGAIN and play 3-5-2. Man what an indecisive Chairman we have - it's almost like he isn't making these decisions at all, and some sort of Manager is choosing players and play style, what with the 3 differences in direction and players over the last three managers.

Archived