IGNORED

Saturday's Xi

GrahamC

After what seems like an interminable international break following the poor defeat at home to Norwich, it will be interesting to see what XI KM starts with on Saturday.

Virtually everyone apart from Maynard appears fit now and so this is an opportunity to provide some clarity to what has been for me a confused team selection of late.

Sadly I have the feeling we'll see a side very similar to the one that featured at AG last time out, with probably one change, Ribeiro in for JCR and a line up as follows:

James, Ribeiro, Caulker, Carey, Fontaine, McAllister, Skuse, Elliott, Rose, Adomah and Stead.

I'd be inclined to go back to 4-4-2 myself, give Haynes a game up top alongside Stead with Albert and Rose wide in a 4-4-2; at the back no-one has exactly covered themselves in glory but Caulker definitely deserves another go, McAllister should also be rested which means Fontaine would keep his place by default (though shift position).

Personally I'd also drop Carey and give Stewart another chance and play Skuse at RB and start with Cisse alongside Elliott. I can't see any of that happening though..........

My team would be;

James,Skuse, Caulker, Stewart, Fontaine, Adomah, Cisse, Elliott, Rose, Haynes and Stead.

After what seems like an interminable international break following the poor defeat at home to Norwich, it will be interesting to see what XI KM starts with on Saturday.

Virtually everyone apart from Maynard appears fit now and so this is an opportunity to provide some clarity to what has been for me a confused team selection of late.

Sadly I have the feeling we'll see a side very similar to the one that featured at AG last time out, with probably one change, Ribeiro in for JCR and a line up as follows:

James, Ribeiro, Caulker, Carey, Fontaine, McAllister, Skuse, Elliott, Rose, Adomah and Stead.

I'd be inclined to go back to 4-4-2 myself, give Haynes a game up top alongside Stead with Albert and Rose wide in a 4-4-2; at the back no-one has exactly covered themselves in glory but Caulker definitely deserves another go, McAllister should also be rested which means Fontaine would keep his place by default (though shift position).

Personally I'd also drop Carey and give Stewart another chance and play Skuse at RB and start with Cisse alongside Elliott. I can't see any of that happening though..........

My team would be;

James,Skuse, Caulker, Stewart, Fontaine, Adomah, Cisse, Elliott, Rose, Haynes and Stead.

I would go

..............JAMES..........

SKUSE.....CAREY...CAULKER....McALLISTER

ADOMAH....CISSE....ELLIOTT....ROSE

..........STEAD....HAYNES............

My team would be;

Your midfield and forward line look spot-on to me Graham, though as you say that is unlikely to be the way Millen goes. The back four, I fear, will be a shambles whoever plays there as there seems to be nobody at AG who can organise them into a solid unit, however much time they spend 'working hard on the training ground'.

I'm pretty sure that I have said this before, but...

...HUNT??!! :shocking:

I'm sorry, but in terms of Right Backs, we really are in Brian Mitchell territory here.

I've not actually seen him play. I've picked him purely on his experience, particularly against decent quality players.

If he's really as bad as everyone says he is then stick Riberio or Skuse in there.

Protect the back line with two holding midfielders. Get Johnson on the ball pinging it into the corners for our wingers to chase, force their full backs deeper. Get Crosses into the box. If it isn't working bring on Pitman early rather than give him 10 minutes at the end.

James

Ribero

Carey

Caulker

McAllister

Cisse

Elliott

Rose

Johnson

Adomah

Stead

I've not actually seen him play. I've picked him purely on his experience, particularly against decent quality players.

If he's really as bad as everyone says he is then stick Riberio or Skuse in there.

You're a very lucky guy. It's not been a bunch of laughs.

Protect the back line with two holding midfielders. Get Johnson on the ball pinging it into the corners for our wingers to chase, force their full backs deeper. Get Crosses into the box. If it isn't working bring on Pitman early rather than give him 10 minutes at the end.

James

Ribero

Carey

Caulker

McAllister

Cisse

Elliott

Rose

Johnson

Adomah

Stead

I'd go with that but with Fonts LB instead.....

James

Ribero

Carey

Caulker

Fonts

Cisse

Elliott

Rose

Johnson

Adomah

Stead

With Cardiff's propensity towards using width and creating/scoring goals from out wide I would opt for a 4-5-1 as opposed to the 3-5-2 formerly employed. It may be controversial but offering Gherkin a spot between the sticks at some point in the near future may not be inconceivable. If a keeper gets used to shipping three a game then negativity and a defensive mindset can creep in, regardless of your who you are. Having said that, on this occasion I would stick with James. Ribs, Carey Caulker McAllister at the back with Stewart pressing Caulker for a start against the bullish yet skillful Bothroyd. Midfield I would plump for a holding two of Cisse & Elliott with Johnson attempting to create things in a slightly more advanced role. Out wide Adomah & Rose. Up front for me is simple. We need to play Pitman. We are short on goals and short on goal scorers. Haynes has a limited record bagging onions. Adomah has looked promising but seems more suited to a wide role, Clarkson we all know about and Stead, for all his endeavour is not going to bag 20. Our only player with a proven track record is currently on the bench. I would consider give Piman a run and persevere as we did with Maynard in his first year. This might also make us try and keep the ball on the deck rather than lump it forward, with support arriving from the wide men coming in off the flanks.

James

Ribeiro Carey Caulker McAllister

Adomah Cisse Johnson Elliott Rose

Pitman

With Cardiff's propensity towards using width and creating/scoring goals from out wide I would opt for a 4-5-1 as opposed to the 3-5-2 formerly employed. It may be controversial but offering Gherkin a spot between the sticks at some point in the near future may not be inconceivable. If a keeper gets used to shipping three a game then negativity and a defensive mindset can creep in, regardless of your who you are. Having said that, on this occasion I would stick with James. Ribs, Carey Caulker McAllister at the back with Stewart pressing Caulker for a start against the bullish yet skillful Bothroyd. Midfield I would plump for a holding two of Cisse & Elliott with Johnson attempting to create things in a slightly more advanced role. Out wide Adomah & Rose. Up front for me is simple. We need to play Pitman. We are short on goals and short on goal scorers. Haynes has a limited record bagging onions. Adomah has looked promising but seems more suited to a wide role, Clarkson we all know about and Stead, for all his endeavour is not going to bag 20. Our only player with a proven track record is currently on the bench. I would consider give Piman a run and persevere as we did with Maynard in his first year. This might also make us try and keep the ball on the deck rather than lump it forward, with support arriving from the wide men coming in off the flanks.

James

Ribeiro Carey Caulker McAllister

Adomah Cisse Johnson Elliott Rose

Pitman

This with Hunt at RB, because he has more experience.

I can't believe anyone would pick Hunt. He's right up there with the worst signings I've ever seen. He's lazy, has a dreadful first touch, lunges into tackles and risks getting booked constantly (largely because of his dreadful first touch) and he lacks any kind of positional awareness.

And, unfortunately, I think Stewart is pretty much as bad as well. I've rarely seen a centre half who is unable to judge the flight of a ball, but he manages it with comic regularity. So I wouldn't have either of them anywhere near the side tomorrow, even though results haven't improved since they were dropped.

I'd go with

James

Ribeiro

Carey

Caulker

Fontaine

Adomah

Skuse

Cisse

Johnson

Rose

Stead

Pack the midfield, get LJ in there as he's about the only midfielder we have who wants the ball and can pick any kind of pass, and pray we don't let in an early goal. If we do, it could well be another very long afternoon.

--------------------------James-----------------------------

------------Caulker----Carey----Fontaine

Ribeiro------------------------------------------McAllister

-----------Skuse------Elliott------Rose------------------

------------------Adomah---Stead------------------------

My starting eleven as well. Caulker central and Carey right though. For this game I can live with our only creative midfielder playing left side as I believe we pretty much have to go direct meaning forwards will have a key role for success.

Archived