IGNORED

Carey/james Argument

hinsleburg

I think James is the ONLY leader on the field at the moment. Carey has been as quiet Cole "The Doormouse" Skuse was when he had a go. These people are only Captain because of length of service. At least James is prepared to get in to them a bit and fire them up/point out the mistakes.

Hartley should have been Captain last year and James should be this year.

100% true as said 10 games ago. Frightenly, James is the only player out of the entire over-bloated and very mediocre squad who is an automatic selection. Also he's got a presence, is edgy, has a will-to-win and above all, a voice.

Frightening, that a bloke-on-the-terrace can spot a woeful lack of leadership on the pitch at the pre-seasons friendlies, yet our highly paid professional management miss it.

Put frankly, that is possibly the most moronic thing I've ever seen written down.

your right,carey has achieved alot (at a lower level)been a great servant to city and will rightly get legend status when he retires,but his best form is behind him now,the problem is no one is pushing to replace these guys, were doooomed

Believe me I am not debating the fact that we need someone to replace Louis sooner rather then later and I believe if we keep having to rely on him it may become sad seeing someone who has been such a great servent to City becoming more and more of a liability. My problem with the post was that it was being implied that James can say what he wants to who he wants because he's been such a great keeper. This is clearly ridiculous and if anyone should shut up in that situation it should be James as Loius has the armband on. Personally I think alot of fuss is being made over nothing and it's simply two demanding characters who were annoyed and their and the teams performance. Although the danger is that this episode maybe showed what the other players think of James's presence in the squad and his recent perfomances.

Absolute bull.

Carey thinks he IS Bristol City and has always been a barrack room lawyer and if he can't take criticism for poor defending (and he can't take it) and if he can't learn from

David James, then he should eff off.

Millen should give the captaincy to David James

You what James will be gone at the year end,how long has Carey given to us most of his football life.

GIve the block some credit

This is clearly ridiculous and if anyone should shut up in that situation it should be James as Loius has the armband on.

I don't see Louis Carey showing any leadership qualities that merit the Captain's armband.

He appears to have that honour now purely due to long service.

In the past it could be said he led by example but he has slowed down and no longer does.

There is a void in our team where the Captain's voice should be, and it is only natural that a passionate professional like David James will not remain silent.

I don't see Louis Carey showing any leadership qualities that merit the Captain's armband.

He appears to have that honour now purely due to long service.

In the past it could be said he led by example but he has slowed down and no longer does.

There is a void in our team where the Captain's voice should be, and it is only natural that a passionate professional like David James will not remain silent.

As I said in my post I feel this whole discussion about the argument is pointless, and professional football players will have this confrontation every week in dressing rooms up and down the land. I was responding to someone saying Louis should keep his mouth shut because of what James has achieved in the game which is clearly nonsense. Carey has never been a shouter and a baller in the mould of someone like Shaun Taylor but his captaincy has been based around leading by example in his performance. If his recent bad form is down to age and continue to go down hill then I agree that the captaincy should probably be passed on to someone else but I don't think this decision will suddenly improve the teams performance and I certainly don't think that David James should be anywhere near the captains armband!

Carey should understand that he has achieved absolutely nothing compared to James and keep his mouth well shut.

But then again Carey is not on 15 grand a week and just here to take the money is he? James should watch the videos of all the games he has played in. He is just as much to blame for some of the goals as the defenders are. Just because you played for England does not give you the right to think that you can shout your mouth off at Carey and Millen and get away with it. James will not care if we are relegated he wont be here next season. Start performing James or ship out as far as I am concerned.ranting.gif

I think James is the ONLY leader on the field at the moment. Carey has been as quiet Cole "The Doormouse" Skuse was when he had a go. These people are only Captain because of length of service. At least James is prepared to get in to them a bit and fire them up/point out the mistakes.

Hartley should have been Captain last year and James should be this year.

Tell me why should be captain? Because he played for England? Louis is City through and through and would die for this club. Do you really think James cares if we get relegated? He has no idea what it means to us fans to be in this league and at the end of this season he will bugger off after making a mint from us!!!!

Whether he was shit or not today has no bearing whatsoever on his commitment to the club. I agree he was by far the worst defender today, but he is clearly Bristol City through and through and has dedicated his career to us, something that surely earns him respect? So are you saying you only earn respect by being a brilliant footballer? Because if so I disagree. I have no idea if he was in the wrong or not today in his confrontation with James but he has done more for this club than James ever will, and has earned respect from City fans...at least he should have.

Well said Red Phil ............

Whether he was shit or not today has no bearing whatsoever on his commitment to the club. I agree he was by far the worst defender today, but he is clearly Bristol City through and through and has dedicated his career to us, something that surely earns him respect? So are you saying you only earn respect by being a brilliant footballer? Because if so I disagree. I have no idea if he was in the wrong or not today in his confrontation with James but he has done more for this club than James ever will, and has earned respect from City fans...at least he should have.

I don't think that's entirely true is it?

But then again Carey is not on 15 grand a week and just here to take the money is he? James should watch the videos of all the games he has played in. He is just as much to blame for some of the goals as the defenders are. Just because you played for England does not give you the right to think that you can shout your mouth off at Carey and Millen and get away with it. James will not care if we are relegated he wont be here next season. Start performing James or ship out as far as I am concerned.ranting.gif

this is probably the worst post I've ever seen.

absolute codswallop.

this is probably the worst post I've ever seen.

absolute codswallop.

Agreed, almost as bad as' Chris's' phone call on Radio Bristol after the game. I cant believe some of our 'fans sometimes'. David James is one of the best players to have ever played for us but bristol city fans just make up conspiracy theories so they can criticise him for anything, why? it is beyond me!

Tell me why should be captain? Because he played for England? Louis is City through and through and would die for this club. Do you really think James cares if we get relegated? He has no idea what it means to us fans to be in this league and at the end of this season he will bugger off after making a

mint from us!!!!

well said Kate.

well said Kate.

Why Bill?

Bristol City doesn't owe Louis Carey anything, if anything, He owes this club his entire career... If he wasn't a Bristolian a) he wouldn't be Captain, b) he wouldn't be anywhere near our side at the moment because he's simply not very good.

He has been a great servant, But tbh, he jumped ship at the first chance he got and FAILED. he only came back here because we were the only ones who wanted him, lets be honest here...

and to say David James is here for the money is very arrogant. Do you (Kate) honestly think we offered him the most money? His decision to come here had absolutely nothing to do with money, He is earning his wages for me... he's the only player out there who deserves his wages at the moment... Top player, great leader and TOTALLY in the right in shouting at Carey. I'd hope to see Carey doing the same if Fontaine or anyone else was defending that badly.

Why Bill?

Bristol City doesn't owe Louis Carey anything, if anything, He owes this club his entire career... If he wasn't a Bristolian a) he wouldn't be Captain, b) he wouldn't be anywhere near our side at the moment because he's simply not very good.

He has been a great servant, But tbh, he jumped ship at the first chance he got and FAILED. he only came back here because we were the only ones who wanted him, lets be honest here...

and to say David James is here for the money is very arrogant. Do you (Kate) honestly think we offered him the most money? His decision to come here had absolutely nothing to do with money, He is earning his wages for me... he's the only player out there who deserves his wages at the moment... Top player, great leader and TOTALLY in the right in shouting at Carey. I'd hope to see Carey doing the same if Fontaine or anyone else was defending that badly.

Well said, JT.

Pretty much. I know he rejected a new contract when he left for Coventry but he was hardly treated in the way he deserved to be. Besides, that was only six months of his career that wasn't with us. Carey has been a superb servant to this football club.

I think this club has been pretty good for him. He didn't like being away from Bristol, so it served him very well to come back to us. It was either that or the gas.

I think this club has been pretty good for him. He didn't like being away from Bristol, so it served him very well to come back to us. It was either that or the gas.

I agree that this club has been good for him, and likewise he has been good for this club. A perfect pairing. I just don't understand all the stick he's coming in for as a person. His performances are beginning to look tired and he definitely shouldn't have been playing at right-back but to criticise the man or his commitment to this club is quite frankly insulting. In my opinion he has earned respect from us for the many great years of service he has provided this club with.

Do you disagree Roger?

Why Bill?

Hear, hear. Personally I thought he was too slow to play centre back two seasons ago. To then resurrect him at right back was absolute madness imo.

Absolute bull.

Carey thinks he IS Bristol City and has always been a barrack room lawyer and if he can't take criticism for poor defending (and he can't take it) and if he can't learn from David James, then he should eff off.

Millen should give the captaincy to David James.

I cannot believe that there are people who are prepared to make such nasty vicious - not to mention untrue - comments about a player who who will go down in history as playing at the very least the second most times for Bristol City with over 600 appearances, and a Bristolian at that. The man should command respect.

What happened yesterday is that James had a go at Carey, and Carey had a go back, from 20 yards away. James wouldnt let it go, and continued to mouth off. Now whatever you might think about Careys performance (not sure if you were actually there or not), Carey was putting 100% effort in, as he always does. Were you there at Portsmouth when Carey was going absoutely mental - in a positive way - trying to cajole the lads on for one final push for an equalizer?

So anyway, James is effectively questioning either Carey making a mistake, about which he can do nothing as the moment has passed, or his commitment. Under that scenario, if I had been Carey I would have done exactly what he did, which was to approach James and put his point across somewhat forcefully.

Contrary to what some people on here seem to think, it is not James' job or right to effectively belittle his team mates.

Captaincy to James? A captain is a leader, a person who "leads" by setting the right example.

After the game, James showed his leadership style when he ****** off the pitch within seconds of the final whistle without so much as a wave to the City fans. He was probably halfway to Exeter while meanwhile Carey, Stead and Skuse were the very last on the pitch applauding the City fans that made the effort.

Dont know about you, but to me its things like that that show which players care and which ones respect the people that pay their wages, and who deserve respect back.

I cannot believe that there are people who are prepared to make such nasty vicious - not to mention untrue - comments about a player who who will go down in history as playing at the very least the second most times for Bristol City with over 600 appearances, and a Bristolian at that. The man should command respect.

What happened yesterday is that James had a go at Carey, and Carey had a go back, from 20 yards away. James wouldnt let it go, and continued to mouth off. Now whatever you might think about Careys performance (not sure if you were actually there or not), Carey was putting 100% effort in, as he always does. Were you there at Portsmouth when Carey was going absoutely mental - in a positive way - trying to cajole the lads on for one final push for an equalizer?

So anyway, James is effectively questioning either Carey making a mistake, about which he can do nothing as the moment has passed, or his commitment. Under that scenario, if I had been Carey I would have done exactly what he did, which was to approach James and put his point across somewhat forcefully.

Contrary to what some people on here seem to think, it is not James' job or right to effectively belittle his team mates.

Captaincy to James? A captain is a leader, a person who "leads" by setting the right example.

After the game, James showed his leadership style when he ****** off the pitch within seconds of the final whistle without so much as a wave to the City fans. He was probably halfway to Exeter while meanwhile Carey, Stead and Skuse were the very last on the pitch applauding the City fans that made the effort.

Dont know about you, but to me its things like that that show which players care and which ones respect the people that pay their wages, and who deserve respect back.

Hit the nail on the head for me.

Ship Louis to Swindon where he wants to be and James to whoever will have him, Louis influence in the dressing room is too much for a player who is no where neAr good enough.

Wish we would of got grant for that cool mill because it's quite obvious James heart isn't in it.

are you demented? How on earth can you possibly justify such a ludicrous and down right stupid comment?

Excellent post. Well said. James f ** king off really annoyed me as well, it's not hard to spend 5 seconds clapping the away fans is it? He was already at our end ffs!

I agree that this club has been good for him, and likewise he has been good for this club. A perfect pairing. I just don't understand all the stick he's coming in for as a person. His performances are beginning to look tired and he definitely shouldn't have been playing at right-back but to criticise the man or his commitment to this club is quite frankly insulting. In my opinion he has earned respect from us for the many great years of service he has provided this club with.

Do you disagree Roger?

I've always quite liked Carey as a player, one of our better players over the years, but i have a problem with people being cast as 'great, loyal, servants' as if they could have gone off to any number of other clubs/played at a higher standard, but instead decided they'd stay here, for the sake of the club. It suited Louis to be here and he's made a very good living from Bristol City. I don't believe I was giving him stick.

Dear AK, why have you, and your crazy friend who keeps on phoning Radio Bristol after each game, got it in so much for David James?

There is no way he is here for the money, he's probably one of the wealthiest players ever to have played for us, and what we are paying him

is pocket money compared to his career earnings. Gerkin will get his chance in time, but for this season James has to be first choice.

Beleive me , he will care if we are relegated.

Its the whole team that needs sorting out, not just the defence, and certainly not the goalkeeper.

Somebody has to have a go at Carey, because nobody else will.

I respect the fact that you both go to every game, but stop this "we hate David James" campaign

Archived