IGNORED

Lansdown And Millen - A Defence

Loderingo

I've been reading all the threads on this forum for a couple of weeks now and feel it is time for someone to come to Lansdown and Millen's defence. Some thoughts...

Millen

1) It may be stating the obvious but Millen took over a complete mess following on from Coppell's departure. It has been said in detail elsewhere so I won't go over old ground.

2) He has only had 11 games in charge which is not enough to judge anyone as a manager. Johnson lost 9 out of his first 11 games but went on to be a success. Millen may not be a success as a manager but he hasn't failed yet.

3) The club has been in decline for a while now. I would say we are in a similar situation to Liverpool in their league. You had a long serving manager who was initially successful followed by a period of stagnation where the fans started getting on his back. In Hodgson's case the fans can't say he doesn't know how to manage so they are saying he can't manage a big club. Unfortunately bad results lead to low confidence and pressure being put on by the fans. A downward cycle can be hard to break.

4) Following on from that I would say the reason a change of management has led to further decline is because if you shake up a club where things have been done in the same way for a while they can get worse. Millen was mocked for saying "we have to get worse to get better" but I think it has some ring of truth. If you are trying to change footballers' habits and patterns of plays then it means things might be less fluid while the new habits and patterns are being learned. BTW - I don't know for sure but I presume there has been some change with Wigley doing most of the coaching instead of Millen.

5) Off the field issues such as the stadium may or may not have played their part but can't help.

6) Also Coppell's appointment led to massively inflated expectations at the start of the season amongst the fans which have not helped.

7) Maynard has been injured - not many clubs do that well when their top striker is out. We might still have been struggling but I don't think we'd have been bottom of the league if he's played.

Lansdown

7) people seem to expect Lansdown to spend unlimited amounts of money on this club. It is not unreasonable to suppose that if he sacks Millen and Wigley and poaches a replacement from another club it might cost him 1/2 million to a million quid plus giving the new manager a big budget in the window.

8) Lansdown may feel that it is not the quality of the manager but the quality of the players that is at fault. In which case it is surely better to give the manager a large budget in January than hire a new manager and give him a smaller budget

9) Sacking the manager after 11 games is not the way to attract quality candidates for the future (yes I know QPR got Warnock but that was only because Palace had no money)

10) Lansdown needs to be sure a new manager would be better. There are no obvious candidates out there. O Driscoll and O Neill are not going to come here whatever people say. Howe and Tisdale may be talented and up-and-coming but may not be the right choice when we are bottom of the league (if we continued to struggle some on here would slate Lansdown very quickly for appointing someone without championship experience). Phil Brown, Mowbray, Magilton etc all have mixed records with some successes but also some failures.

11) The window is shut until January so a new manager would not be able to change much for at least 2-3 months.

12) There is no guarantee a new manager could reverse our backwards momentum. I remember in the mid 90s Osman lost 8 games in a row and was sacked. We bought Jordan back and he won his first game (on my birthday against Swindon) and we then lost another 8 games in a row.

13) People talk as if relegation was apocalyptic. No-one wants it to happen but it's not as if any of us has ever seen league 1 before. Leicester and Norwich both bounced back after 1 season and seem to have thrived as a result (they got some forward momentum back).

Just to make it clear I don't think Millen should get a blank check but he should get IMHO until the end of November. That would then give the board 2 weeks to find a new manager, and then give the new manager a couple of weeks to assess the squad before the window opens.

I've been reading all the threads on this forum for a couple of weeks now and feel it is time for someone to come to Lansdown and Millen's defence. Some thoughts...

Millen

1) It may be stating the obvious but Millen took over a complete mess following on from Coppell's departure. It has been said in detail elsewhere so I won't go over old ground.

2) He has only had 11 games in charge which is not enough to judge anyone as a manager. Johnson lost 9 out of his first 11 games but went on to be a success. Millen may not be a success as a manager but he hasn't failed yet.

3) The club has been in decline for a while now. I would say we are in a similar situation to Liverpool in their league. You had a long serving manager who was initially successful followed by a period of stagnation where the fans started getting on his back. In Hodgson's case the fans can't say he doesn't know how to manage so they are saying he can't manage a big club. Unfortunately bad results lead to low confidence and pressure being put on by the fans. A downward cycle can be hard to break.

4) Following on from that I would say the reason a change of management has led to further decline is because if you shake up a club where things have been done in the same way for a while they can get worse. Millen was mocked for saying "we have to get worse to get better" but I think it has some ring of truth. If you are trying to change footballers' habits and patterns of plays then it means things might be less fluid while the new habits and patterns are being learned. BTW - I don't know for sure but I presume there has been some change with Wigley doing most of the coaching instead of Millen.

5) Off the field issues such as the stadium may or may not have played their part but can't help.

6) Also Coppell's appointment led to massively inflated expectations at the start of the season amongst the fans which have not helped.

7) Maynard has been injured - not many clubs do that well when their top striker is out. We might still have been struggling but I don't think we'd have been bottom of the league if he's played.

Lansdown

7) people seem to expect Lansdown to spend unlimited amounts of money on this club. It is not unreasonable to suppose that if he sacks Millen and Wigley and poaches a replacement from another club it might cost him 1/2 million to a million quid plus giving the new manager a big budget in the window.

8) Lansdown may feel that it is not the quality of the manager but the quality of the players that is at fault. In which case it is surely better to give the manager a large budget in January than hire a new manager and give him a smaller budget

9) Sacking the manager after 11 games is not the way to attract quality candidates for the future (yes I know QPR got Warnock but that was only because Palace had no money)

10) Lansdown needs to be sure a new manager would be better. There are no obvious candidates out there. O Driscoll and O Neill are not going to come here whatever people say. Howe and Tisdale may be talented and up-and-coming but may not be the right choice when we are bottom of the league (if we continued to struggle some on here would slate Lansdown very quickly for appointing someone without championship experience). Phil Brown, Mowbray, Magilton etc all have mixed records with some successes but also some failures.

11) The window is shut until January so a new manager would not be able to change much for at least 2-3 months.

12) There is no guarantee a new manager could reverse our backwards momentum. I remember in the mid 90s Osman lost 8 games in a row and was sacked. We bought Jordan back and he won his first game (on my birthday against Swindon) and we then lost another 8 games in a row.

13) People talk as if relegation was apocalyptic. No-one wants it to happen but it's not as if any of us has ever seen league 1 before. Leicester and Norwich both bounced back after 1 season and seem to have thrived as a result (they got some forward momentum back).

Just to make it clear I don't think Millen should get a blank check but he should get IMHO until the end of November. That would then give the board 2 weeks to find a new manager, and then give the new manager a couple of weeks to assess the squad before the window opens.

So how would you defend Millen's record as a coach?, almost 2 years of failure under Tinnion & Johnson, followed by 2 years of success under Johnson, followed by another 2 years of failure under Johnson. Not exactly a glittering CV is it for a coach who finished top of his class is it.

Hallelujah!

Some sense at last! Totally agree with all points made in respect of Millen and would also add that 3 players he has brought in all appear to be very astute signings - Stead, Caulker, Rose.

Prepare to be utterly ridiculed I suspect - but some good points made amonst a sea of bullshit postings over the past week or two

So how would you defend Millen's record as a coach?, almost 2 years of failure under Tinnion & Johnson, followed by 2 years of success under Johnson, followed by another 2 years of failure under Johnson. Not exactly a glittering CV is it for a coach who finished top of his class is it.

Would that be 'failure' where we finished top 10 in the Championship again.. mainly thanks to Millen steadying the ship after a rocky few months at the end of Johnson's reign?

The buck stops with the manager maybe?

And 2 years of 'failure' under Johnson is being a little economical with the truth

Millen

Lansdown

Nicely presented post. I actually disagree with a lot of what you're saying, but I don't have the time to counter everything.

As for Lansdown, well no amount of praise or criticism makes any difference. He's in charge, he's got the cash we have to accept him with pluses and minuses. I don't actually see the point of the many posts that have a pop at him.

As for Millen, well I don't think he was left with a mess. He's partly responsible for it. I don't for one minute think he was sitting by all summer cursing Coppell's every move. Millen is also directly answerable for any perceived mess. He must answer for it too.

When Millen was appointed, I thought 'yeah, why not, it could work out, let's not judge too early'. However, I think the judging process begins from day one and quite frankly his entire tenure has only convinced me that he is horribly out of his depth. Virtually every decision he has made has left me scratching my head and wondering why. If I were to write a list of positives and negatives, the positives would heavily out-weighed. I'm sorry to say, but I just don't think we are in the position to indulge the Millen experiment - there's too much at stake.

I see Strachan has been sacked today - a man with a decent track record in management and yet we're still plodding along with a guy with no experience and who has done almost nothing to convince me that he's worth sticking with.

As for Millen, well I don't think he was left with a mess. He's partly responsible for it. I don't for one minute think he was sitting by all summer cursing Coppell's every move. Millen is also directly answerable for any perceived mess. He must answer for it too.

I see Strachan has been sacked today - a man with a decent track record in management and yet we're still plodding along with a guy with no experience and who has done almost nothing to convince me that he's worth sticking with.

How is Millen responsible for an epic injury crisis and the useless players that Coppell signed? What was Millen supposed to do about these main two issues that occured prior to his appointment as manager? Please explain...

Strachan wasn't sacked, he tore up his contract and walked.

The buck stops with the manager maybe?

And 2 years of 'failure' under Johnson is being a little economical with the truth

I actually agree about Johnson, a 4th and 2 top ten finishes was probably (given our history) beyond all of our expectations (certainly mine) but it has to be said the performances in general were dire and only 30 wins in 92 games is not good enough and Millen cannot escape the fact that he was the coach/2nd in command during this period, he has to shoulder much of the blame.

Some very good points. Not sure I agree with you on all of them. I reckon Lansdown made a panic choice having realised that he'd not done his homework on Coppell. Left with egg all over his face after enjoying a spell in the national limelight I think he went for an easy option...but you've made the case against that analysis.

The one thing I really can't fathom is any comparison between Millen's 11 games and Johnson's 9 defeats. When GJ took over he'd managed 2 clubs and a national team through 370 matches. He'd won over 50% of his 200-odd matches with Yeovil. He had a track record and I for one trusted him to turn things around. Millen's 11 games are it...with the results as a caretaker. There's nothing to suggest that he's got it in him to do better. Apart from faith...which I for one don't have in him.

Experience needed.

How is Millen responsible for an epic injury crisis and the useless players that Coppell signed? What was Millen supposed to do about these main two issues that occured prior to his appointment as manager? Please explain...

Just to add it is self evident that Millen didn't agree with Coppell's signings, as he's consistently leaving most of them out.

However the main thrust of the argument is true, Millen doesn't show any signs of improving matters and GJ was sacked after a record of 2 wins and 4 draws in his last 12, bearing in mind his record in 10 games is won 1 drew 3 lost 6, at present KM is not even going to match that.

Some very good points. Not sure I agree with you on all of them. I reckon Lansdown made a panic choice having realised that he'd not done his homework on Coppell. Left with egg all over his face after enjoying a spell in the national limelight I think he went for an easy option...but you've made the case against that analysis.

The one thing I really can't fathom is any comparison between Millen's 11 games and Johnson's 9 defeats. When GJ took over he'd managed 2 clubs and a national team through 370 matches. He'd won over 50% of his 200-odd matches with Yeovil. He had a track record and I for one trusted him to turn things around. Millen's 11 games are it...with the results as a caretaker. There's nothing to suggest that he's got it in him to do better. Apart from faith...which I for one don't have in him.

Experience needed.

Nail on head, totally agree with you.

If Millen was playing a consistent team or even a consistent formation - eg he gave the impression he had a plan - I would be more patient.

But by his own admission after the Norwich game he still has no idea what team or formation to use. That is inexcusable.

A plan?! Difficult to plan when your boss leaves you in the lurch with a load of shite players. Coppell didn't even have a plan FFS!

Just to add it is self evident that Millen didn't agree with Coppell's signings, as he's consistently leaving most of them out.

However the main thrust of the argument is true, Millen doesn't show any signs of improving matters and GJ was sacked after a record of 2 wins and 4 draws in his last 12, bearing in mind his record in 10 games is won 1 drew 3 lost 6, at present KM is not even going to match that.

I think that the reason they were dropped is because they were consistently playing so badly, it's a pity Millen dosen't apply that logic to Mcallister who seems to be coming Millens little Lee.

Millen

Lansdown

top post that man

I think that the reason they were dropped is because they were consistently playing so badly,

I'd accept that was the case with Hunt, but Cisse? He only played 3 and we won one of those! I don't think Stewart was "consistently" bad, either, just very poor against Watford....

Pretty good post, agree with a lot of it. I definitely think that we have far too many players, which is never good for team spirit, and far too many 'useful squad players', not enough quality.

I totally disagree about Millens signings, individually they are good players, but we already had enough strikers on the books, I can understand signing one, but two? Rose might be very talented, he may be left-footed, but he's too lightweight, and playing two wingers of limited defensive qualities really exposes our weak full-backs. Caulker has impressed, although with our midfield and full-backs, any centre-back will struggle to stem the flow of goals conceded. What we desperately need is a midfield organiser, like Eustace or Carsley (Or Hartley?) - I know those players won't be available, but that's the type of player needed. We have enough bench-fodder, so paying £700K for a striker to sit on the bench makes no sense at all. We should have been buying fo the future a year or two ago, not now that we are in dire straits.

Strachan wasn't sacked, he tore up his contract and walked.

Well, clearly Millen wasn't responsible for injuries. I never said he was.

As for his role in 'Coppell's' signings, I was always under the impression that a manager consulted with his assistant on potential signings, formations, plans, team selections, hence him being an assistant.

Do you think Millen was completely detached from Coppell? I was always given the impression in the time of GJ that the management team worked together, exchanging views, opinions etc,

You must at least admit that Millen was as keen on signing Stead as Coppell was - surely that's a sign that they agreed on things?

As for Coppell's signings being dropped, that would like a psychological ploy to me. It's also beginning to look more and more absurd as Keith's team lumbers on.

Well argued, very thoughtful OP Loderingo.

After all the recent (panicky) hysteria on here, it is refreshing to see a proper "head over heart" analysis of how we got here and where we are now.

Clifton Cliff - where are you ? This man is in the same league as you.

Personally I have serious doubts about Milly, but I agree with the OP, it really is far too early to make a judgement on Millen, although if we lose both games this week the pressure on him will be unbearable.

If (as I believe) we end the week having gained 4 points, then he will have some much deserved breathing space.

Do you think Millen was completely detached from Coppell? I was always given the impression in the time of GJ that the management team worked together, exchanging views, opinions etc,

You must at least admit that Millen was as keen on signing Stead as Coppell was - surely that's a sign that they agreed on things?

As for Coppell's signings being dropped, that would like a psychological ploy to me. It's also beginning to look more and more absurd as Keith's team lumbers on.

Very much so, just as Coppell was detached from the players during his brief tenure.

1. Coppell's appointment led to massively inflated expectations at the start of the season amongst the fans which have not helped.

2. Lansdown may feel that it is not the quality of the manager but the quality of the players that is at fault. In which case it is surely better to give the manager a large budget in January than hire a new manager and give him a smaller budget

3. The window is shut until January so a new manager would not be able to change much for at least 2-3 months.

4. People talk as if relegation was apocalyptic. No-one wants it to happen but it's not as if any of us has ever seen league 1 before. Leicester and Norwich both bounced back after 1 season and seem to have thrived as a result (they got some forward momentum back).

1. Those expectations were stoked by Lansdown and BCFC marketing department to flog season tickets.

2. There will be no 'large budget' in January - we already have 35 players on our books - a ridiculous number.

3. See above - whether the window is open or not is irrelevant. We have plenty of players - we just need a manager who can organise and motivate them.

4. Relegation would see all of our decent players leaving and the wage budget slashed. It WOULD be apocalyptic - unless you fancy another 9 years of total sh*te like the last time.

1. Those expectations were stoked by Lansdown and BCFC marketing department to flog season tickets.

2. There will be no 'large budget' in January - we already have 35 players on our books - a ridiculous number.

3. See above - whether the window is open or not is irrelevant. We have plenty of players - we just need a manager who can organise and motivate them.

4. Relegation would see all of our decent players leaving and the wage budget slashed. It WOULD be apocalyptic - unless you fancy another 9 years of total sh*te like the last time.

1) I agree that expectations have got out of control. Obviously the marketing department had no idea Coppell would quit! The challenge now is how to bring expectation levels back down to something that is more realistic (I would say survival this season followed by mid table next). The Millen appointment was always going to be viewed badly after Coppell. It is interesting to wonder if he would have had a better reception if he had been appointed in April instead of Coppell.

2) Hmm. We shouldn't have a large budget but it wouldn't surprise me if Lansdown forks out again if we are still struggling. Agree that 35 players is a ridiculous number though. This is why I say that a new manager won't necessarily be able to fix all the problems overnight. Whoever is manager the squad will need major surgery over at least 2 transfer windows.

3) Are the players demotivated? I don't see any evidence that they are not playing for Millen (compared with the stories that were coming out at the end of Johnson's reign). As for organisation, this will only get you so far if the players aren't up to the job. So many of the soft goals we have leaked have been down to basic errors and stupid mistakes. Defenders should be able to do the basic skills without the manager having to tell them to. Also will a new manager be able to make Carey 5 years younger, will he be able to make Mcallister play like he did 3 or 4 years ago. Ultimately I think we are going to have to improve the defence through the transfer market.

4) Well we need to cut the wage budget and the squad size as mentioned above. Maynard would leave but I'm sure he will leave anyway in the next season or so. I would like to keep Adomah but apart from this who are these decent players you want to hang onto? Frankly I would take offers for any of the rest. We need to get back to what we did successfully under Johnson for several seasons. We had a close-knit team of hard workers who gave everything the cause. It wasn't always the prettiest football but it worked. Since then we seem to have added more and more fancy dans which have disrupted the work ethic and not led to any more success. You would hope it would take less than 9 years to get back if we do go down - partly that was due to the drinking club under Wonderson rather than the inate quality of the division.

Archived