IGNORED

Favourite Football Match

beaverface

Anytime there's a thread about which matches are peoples favourites (usually appears in the summer or during Interenation breaks etc...) I always seem to forget the last away game of 1991.

It was against Watford at Vicarage Road and I think we had a very outside chance of sneaking into the play-offs if all the other results went for us. I can't remember too much about the match itself but I do remember that we won the game 3-2 and the away end was absolutely rammed on the terracing to such an extent I could hardly breath.

I seem to have recollections of some of the players walking through the gate it the railings and making their way through the City fans, it may of been Mark Gavin and Bob Taylor.

Anywhow, we went on to win the game and obviously we didn't make the play offs, but I do also remember the home fans taunting us because we were listening out for the results over the tannoy system and the results went against us.

Bit of a funny game to remember, but I do have fond memories of that game (what I can remember !!)

We played Middlesboro away just before I think. We lost 2-1, with them scoring the winner late in an attack after we had 2 stonewall penalty shouts turned down in the same attack (they broke and scored - stuart ripley I think).

If I recall correctly, had we got the three points in that game, we'd have made the play offs. If and buts!

The end of the 91-92 season? Here's my notes from the time.

Ten of City's final 16 games pitted them against teams chasing one of the top seven positions. In March they were unbeaten at home, but only scored twice in four away games. One of those was a 4-1 defeat at Portsmouth. All six games in April were against higher placed teams. On Easter Monday, Notts. County were beaten 3-2 followed by the fixture at Middlesborough who had the same points as City. Bob Taylor scored in the second minute, but 'Boro equalised before the interval. In the final minute of the game, City appealed for a penalty when a home defender clearly handled the ball in his area, but the referee allowed the game to continue. Their 'keeper punted the ball upfield and with a desperation shot a forward volleyed it on. The shot hit a post and went in for a 2-1 home win. City bounced back with Newman scoring the winner against Barnsley and he was on target again in the defeat at Oldham. Fortunately, three of the clubs in the play off places also lost that day. City then went to Brighton and were all over them, but only won due to a last minute goal by Gary Shelton enabling them to enter the final four games with high hopes of a play off place.

The home game with Millwall fell on the anniversary of the death of Dean Horrix. His two sons were mascots for the day and led the teams out, one in each of the club's colours. Nicky Morgan gave City an early lead, but Millwall hit four themselves in the second half. The following week they again lost an early lead and had to settle for a draw with Port Vale. Four days later they visited Hillsborough. Sheffield Wednesday needed one point to grab the last of the automatic promotion places, but they took all three with a 3-1 win. On the final day of the season City could still get into the promotion frame by winning at Watford whilst Barnsley and Brighton lost. City did win, 3-2, but the others failed to cooperate and the season ended in 9th. spot on 67 points. Eight clubs beneath City, including relegated West Brom, had actually lost fewer games. Although they might not have been ready for promotion, three more points would have seen them sixth. Perhaps that referee's decision at Middlesbrough had a greater effect on the club's fate than was seen at the time as the next few years would be relegation fights. In the close season City returned to Watford and signed Gerald Harrison as a free transfer and goal keeper Keith Welch came from Rochdale for £200,000. Chris Honor went to Airdrie for a tenth of that and Rob Newman was bought by Norwich for £600,000.

The end of the 91-92 season? Here's my notes from the time.

Ten of City's final 16 games pitted them against teams chasing one of the top seven positions. In March they were unbeaten at home, but only scored twice in four away games. One of those was a 4-1 defeat at Portsmouth. All six games in April were against higher placed teams. On Easter Monday, Notts. County were beaten 3-2 followed by the fixture at Middlesborough who had the same points as City. Bob Taylor scored in the second minute, but 'Boro equalised before the interval. In the final minute of the game, City appealed for a penalty when a home defender clearly handled the ball in his area, but the referee allowed the game to continue. Their 'keeper punted the ball upfield and with a desperation shot a forward volleyed it on. The shot hit a post and went in for a 2-1 home win. City bounced back with Newman scoring the winner against Barnsley and he was on target again in the defeat at Oldham. Fortunately, three of the clubs in the play off places also lost that day. City then went to Brighton and were all over them, but only won due to a last minute goal by Gary Shelton enabling them to enter the final four games with high hopes of a play off place.

The home game with Millwall fell on the anniversary of the death of Dean Horrix. His two sons were mascots for the day and led the teams out, one in each of the club's colours. Nicky Morgan gave City an early lead, but Millwall hit four themselves in the second half. The following week they again lost an early lead and had to settle for a draw with Port Vale. Four days later they visited Hillsborough. Sheffield Wednesday needed one point to grab the last of the automatic promotion places, but they took all three with a 3-1 win. On the final day of the season City could still get into the promotion frame by winning at Watford whilst Barnsley and Brighton lost. City did win, 3-2, but the others failed to cooperate and the season ended in 9th. spot on 67 points. Eight clubs beneath City, including relegated West Brom, had actually lost fewer games. Although they might not have been ready for promotion, three more points would have seen them sixth. Perhaps that referee's decision at Middlesbrough had a greater effect on the club's fate than was seen at the time as the next few years would be relegation fights. In the close season City returned to Watford and signed Gerald Harrison as a free transfer and goal keeper Keith Welch came from Rochdale for £200,000. Chris Honor went to Airdrie for a tenth of that and Rob Newman was bought by Norwich for £600,000.

Gerry Harrison - There is a name from the past!

Wasn't it Watford who we had three sent off against on the final day one season in the 90's? That 5-2 one would make sense I s'pose.

One of my own first away days was at Vicarage Road, we got done 3-0, Kevin Phillips was a menace and there was even a little off field entertainment to boot..

My best City match was in 1986 beating Hereford United 3-0 at the Gate to reach Wembley 3-2 on aggregate. Amazing night, I believe the crowd was only 11,000 but in terms of noise and atmosphere it seemed more like 40,000. Of course, City went onto hammer Bolton in the final and win the much coveted Freight Rover Trophy.

perhaps your best away game maybe your first especially if city win mine was the against the mighty leeds of the 70's when we were the first team to beat them that season £1:20 for a ticket ans £2:00 return fare on the train what an away day that was all these years later still remember donnie gillies goal and the thunderous shot against the post by billy bremner a day that will be in my memories until the day i die

Sept 98. 1-1 draw away at Sunderland with a late equaliser from Soren Anderson. Was a proper backs to the wall game, Kevin Phillips missed a pen against Welch.

Never seen such one-sided game as that.

Just goes to show that the scoreline often tells you very little about the game.

My best away game has to be either Barnsley away we won 4-1 Roberts with a hat-trick or the promotion season when we beat Carlisle or the Norwich game in our first season back in this league was it 4-1 or 4-2 cant remember. I cant say my first away game as it was at Oxfords old manor ground and we lost 3-0.

my favourite away game was when we were 4-2 down at mansfield in the last 10-15 minutes and then we scored three to win the game, Christian roberts scored the winner!

There have been many other great away days, but this one has to take the biscuit for sheer disbelief and joy as event unfolded.

The game was actually fairly poor and we were 4-2 down with 2 mins left! I think it was Tins who put away a "consolation" penalty before Lita then Roberts did the business. We had a surprisingly good following up there that day, and was one of those where me and a mate just decided last minute to go as it was a new ground for both of us. - one of the best decisions ever!

The locals, understandably, were not best pleased outside afterwards though!!

We played Watford at the end of 91-92 but lost that game 5-2. Good atmosphere for that one.

Can't recall the 3-2 game mentioned by the OP.

You're quite right; my notes were for the end of the 90/91 season. Here's the end of 91-92;

This meant that regardless of the result at Watford, City would finish seventeenth. This game was to see great controversy. Cole twice gave City the lead only for Watford to equalise then take the lead. In the 64th. minute Allison and Atteveld were both sent off. Four minutes later Aizlewood joined them with his third dismissal of the season. The eight remaining players held on, but conceded two more goals in the final three minutes for the heaviest defeat of the season 5-2.

Wasn't it Watford who we had three sent off against on the final day one season in the 90's? That 5-2 one would make sense I s'pose.

One of my own first away days was at Vicarage Road, we got done 3-0, Kevin Phillips was a menace and there was even a little off field entertainment to boot..

Twas indeed. The three A's were sent from the field that day - Allison, Atteveld and Aizlewood. The abiding memory of that day for me was the one man pitch invasion by a City fan in a toga. He thought his mates had followed him on to the pitch and the look on his face when he realised he was on his own was priceless! He got nicked as well!

My best City match was in 1986 beating Hereford United 3-0 at the Gate to reach Wembley 3-2 on aggregate. Amazing night, I believe the crowd was only 11,000 but in terms of noise and atmosphere it seemed more like 40,000. Of course, City went onto hammer Bolton in the final and win the much coveted Freight Rover Trophy.

I was only eight at the time and thats one of the games i remember, Steve Neville last minute of extra time, quality.

Anytime there's a thread about which matches are peoples favourites (usually appears in the summer or during Interenation breaks etc...) I always seem to forget the last away game of 1991.

It was against Watford at Vicarage Road and I think we had a very outside chance of sneaking into the play-offs if all the other results went for us. I can't remember too much about the match itself but I do remember that we won the game 3-2 and the away end was absolutely rammed on the terracing to such an extent I could hardly breath.

I seem to have recollections of some of the players walking through the gate it the railings and making their way through the City fans, it may of been Mark Gavin and Bob Taylor.

Anywhow, we went on to win the game and obviously we didn't make the play offs, but I do also remember the home fans taunting us because we were listening out for the results over the tannoy system and the results went against us.

Bit of a funny game to remember, but I do have fond memories of that game (what I can remember !!)

Twas indeed. The three A's were sent from the field that day - Allison, Atteveld and Aizlewood. The abiding memory of that day for me was the one man pitch invasion by a City fan in a toga. He thought his mates had followed him on to the pitch and the look on his face when he realised he was on his own was priceless! He got nicked as well!

I remember plenty of people climbing the internal fences (between home and away fans). Stewards were losing it trying to get people down.

Did that happen? I was 17 and p*ssed at the time.

My favourite

Sometime in the 70's Boxing day I think, went to Eastville for the derby. Squeezed in to the front row miles from my dad next to an old bloke smoking a pipe. Wind howling a gale into our faces in the uncovered open end. Rovers all over us (mostly due to the wind) and go in at half time 1-0 up. I must have looked glum because the old bloke says, 'Don't worry my babber they've the wind up them in the 2nd half'' Seconds half all city and we win 4-1. I can still smell the pipe tabacco now. Silk scarfs tied to wrists and the biggest grin on my face.

Anyone else old enough to remember this?

Archived