IGNORED

Favourite Football Match

beaverface

My favourite

Sometime in the 70's Boxing day I think, went to Eastville for the derby. Squeezed in to the front row miles from my dad next to an old bloke smoking a pipe. Wind howling a gale into our faces in the uncovered open end. Rovers all over us (mostly due to the wind) and go in at half time 1-0 up. I must have looked glum because the old bloke says, 'Don't worry my babber they've the wind up them in the 2nd half'' Seconds half all city and we win 4-1. I can still smell the pipe tabacco now. Silk scarfs tied to wrists and the biggest grin on my face.

Anyone else old enough to remember this?

Yep, '73-ish I reckon, and Keith Fear in particular used the wind to our advantage in the 2nd half - one long range floater caught the wind with spectacular results leaving the Rovers' keeper ( Eadie?) grasping at thin air.

The match was also featured on Soccer Special, or whatever it was called, on the Sunday afternoon, so it was doubly satisfying to see the thrashing repeated in the comfort of your living room.yes.gif

Don't think it was Christmas time though, just an incredibly bleak and windy day.

Very loud and colourful support that day - I was high up on the right hand side of the Muller Road End and looking across our end almost every City fan seemed to have a big woolly Red and White scarf & hat - as well as many of us having silk one's tied round each wrist, of course. Always struck me as the first time I had been really impressed with City's support. A truly foul wet and windy day when we were at the full mercy of the elements, the grey dullness of the Rovers fans on 3 sides, the drabness of the ugly metallic stands and roofs, plus the gasworks - and in direct contrast was our end - the massed beacon of red clad, defiant, then celebratory, City fans. All 4 goals went in at our end too.winner_third_h4h.gifwinner_third_h4h.gifwinner_third_h4h.gifwinner_third_h4h.gif

Must go down as one of the very best days for CIty at Eastville, beaten only by the Martyn Hurst Cup knockout about 10 years later.city.gif

As we are reminiscing my first game was forest at home early nineties sat in the Williams. As I was only 6/7 at the time can't remember much about it. However I can tell you collymoore destroyed us that day with a hat trick I think.

Can anyone divolve anymore info on this game and what happened that season?

Never seen such one-sided game as that.

Just goes to show that the scoreline often tells you very little about the game.

Best one sided game ever must have been WBA away year we were promoted to the old 1st, we won 1-0 scored in the dying seconds of the 1st half, think second half we didnt get out of our half

Best one sided game ever must have been WBA away year we were promoted to the old 1st, we won 1-0 scored in the dying seconds of the 1st half, think second half we didnt get out of our half

Ray Cashley was awesome in goal. He won that game for us. I remember Willie Johnston left wing for

West Brom tearing into our defence. Talk about nail biting.

My favourite

Sometime in the 70's Boxing day I think, went to Eastville for the derby. Squeezed in to the front row miles from my dad next to an old bloke smoking a pipe. Wind howling a gale into our faces in the uncovered open end. Rovers all over us (mostly due to the wind) and go in at half time 1-0 up. I must have looked glum because the old bloke says, 'Don't worry my babber they've the wind up them in the 2nd half'' Seconds half all city and we win 4-1. I can still smell the pipe tabacco now. Silk scarfs tied to wrists and the biggest grin on my face.

Anyone else old enough to remember this?

The 4-1 win @ Easyville (as the EP reported it) was on December 28th 1974 (my 20th birthday). As all the 2nd half goals went in, my mates all shaking my hand and wishing me "Happy Birthday".

The 4-1 win @ Easyville (as the EP reported it) was on December 28th 1974 (my 20th birthday). As all the 2nd half goals went in, my mates all shaking my hand and wishing me "Happy Birthday".

What civil mates you had, I was expecting to read ''my mates dishing out generous helpings of birthday 'slogs' on every goal...''.

I had that joy of City beating the Gash 4-2 at Twerton on my Birthday. So glad we did for obvious reasons, but also because I think it was the last derby to be played at Twerton, and they were unbeaten against us, so it was a great way to put that record to bed.

Remember that 90/91 season well as the only one I have ever managed to get to every game home and away - remember we played away at Millwall with just a few games to go and our coach broke down on the M4 just before the M25 junction - after circa 40 games on the trot, was well gutted as thought I was going to miss seeing every game but fortunately a replacement coach turned up.

Remember the crush at the last game at Watford also, but not as bad as the crush at Southend on the first game of the season that was a well packed out alley leading to the away end - both were cracking days though!

Up the City!

We played Middlesboro away just before I think. We lost 2-1, with them scoring the winner late in an attack after we had 2 stonewall penalty shouts turned down in the same attack (they broke and scored - stuart ripley I think).

If I recall correctly, had we got the three points in that game, we'd have made the play offs. If and buts!

Dave Rennie had a shot blocked blatently by a defenders hamd, right into the path of Taylor, who had his shot blocked by both arms of another defender!

Boro broke and Ripley slid the ball along the floor into the corner for the win, absolute gutter!

The only time I've been to Boro was about 15/16 years ago, we had about 100 up there in that old corner terrace section, won the game 1-0 Tinnion penalty, Ronnie got nicked before kick off for being drunk! haha

Anytime there's a thread about which matches are peoples favourites (usually appears in the summer or during Interenation breaks etc...) I always seem to forget the last away game of 1991.

It was against Watford at Vicarage Road and I think we had a very outside chance of sneaking into the play-offs if all the other results went for us. I can't remember too much about the match itself but I do remember that we won the game 3-2 and the away end was absolutely rammed on the terracing to such an extent I could hardly breath.

I seem to have recollections of some of the players walking through the gate it the railings and making their way through the City fans, it may of been Mark Gavin and Bob Taylor.

Anywhow, we went on to win the game and obviously we didn't make the play offs, but I do also remember the home fans taunting us because we were listening out for the results over the tannoy system and the results went against us.

Bit of a funny game to remember, but I do have fond memories of that game (what I can remember !!)

I was at that game, but can't remember much due to getting in a watford pub about 11 o'clock along it seemed with another 500 city. Completely took the place over. Landlord and locals were brilliant company and the beer was flowing. super Bob was sat in front of us in the stand and i think we pissed him off with our drunken antics. Happy days.

Bradford away, littlewoods cup quarter final before we went to play forest in the semi. Awesome noise, away terrace rammed, Jordan on fire. 4 - 1 I think?

I agree bradford away was amazing the atmosphere was thumping before the game during and after it has got to be the best atmosphere I have been in, when we scored everyone was going mental on the terrace you never had a choice it was so packed in there, I believe the score was 1-0

Archived