IGNORED

Preston Game Huge

bangers

Great performance today by the players, undoubtedly the guys have improved in the last few weeks and 7 points from 9 against 3 TOP teams is better than what anyone could have expected.

However, the game against Preston is HUGE as a defeat could really undo the good work this team has done.....a win and i feel the CORNER IS WELL AND TRULEY TURNED.

We are still in the relegation zone, and we can't underestimate Preston, but if we beat them we can REALLY PUSH FOR THE TOP HALF.

HUGE GAME.

Great performance today by the players, undoubtedly the guys have improved in the last few weeks and 7 points from 9 against 3 TOP teams is better than what anyone could have expected.

However, the game against Preston is HUGE as a defeat could really undo the good work this team has done.....a win and i feel the CORNER IS WELL AND TRULEY TURNED.

We are still in the relegation zone, and we can't underestimate Preston, but if we beat them we can REALLY PUSH FOR THE TOP HALF.

HUGE GAME.

Due to our terrible start to the season every game is now huge, looks like the players have realised this. Preston are literally huge, especially their No.9.

Due to our terrible start to the season every game is now huge

This is very true.

I said a couple of weeks ago that, in essence, Millen had already lost his job. Now clearly rehashing that doesnt do myself any favours, but the point I was trying to make was that our efforts had been so poor that it would take a run of form so good, going against everything we'd seen, to pull ourselves from the mire we were in, that realistically we would need a good 'run' for at least a couple of months.

Our recent form has been fantastic and much credit should go to Millen and the players - perhaps none more so than the realisation by the manager that we needed a solid base and thus, against his desires, a flat back four was a necessity. But we are still well and truly entrenched.

Todays fan response is one of hapiness amidst relief, we are still in the relegation zone yet you would believe we were table topping.

Whilst I firmly reject the notion of 'too good to go down', I do feel that it would take a great deal of managerial incompetence to get this group of players relegated.

Our last three performances have been good but our season start was so poor that any slide cannot be justified through pedalling an 'improvement' line.

If we lose two of the next three it is irrelevant what we did in the matches immediately before.

no it isnt. every point gained is relavent at the end of the season.

Apologies perhaps I should have been clearer.

What I meant was if we lose and/or perform badly in two of the next three saying, in defence of the manager, 'yeah but we were good against Reading, QPR and M'boro' simply cannot wash, such was the poor start to the season.

Millen is in a position now where we must be getting results, and getting results for a prolonged period to drag ourselves clear.

When he took charge I remember thinking, and saying amongst friends, if we're 15th or lower at Xmas then I would expect Lansdown to act.

As it is 15th at Xmas is actually a rather desirable state.

Whilst I firmly reject the notion of 'too good to go down', I do feel that it would take a great deal of managerial incompetence to get this group of players relegated.

100% agree

If we lose two of the next three it is irrelevant what we did in the matches immediately before.

And thats something that won't be lost on Millen or the players. I firmly believe that now that the 'monkey on yer back' of being bottom is lifted that City have turned the corner. From here on in its up. There will be loses along the way but an undefeated run is on the cards.

Apologies perhaps I should have been clearer.

What I meant was if we lose and/or perform badly in two of the next three saying, in defence of the manager, 'yeah but we were good against Reading, QPR and M'boro' simply cannot wash, such was the poor start to the season.

Millen is in a position now where we must be getting results, and getting results for a prolonged period to drag ourselves clear.

When he took charge I remember thinking, and saying amongst friends, if we're 15th or lower at Xmas then I would expect Lansdown to act.

As it is 15th at Xmas is actually a rather desirable state.

you'd sack a manager whose team is in 15th at Christmas. ridiculous.

you do realise there are 24 team in the league and they cant all be in the top 6 dont you?

you'd sack a manager whose team is in 15th at Christmas. ridiculous.

you do realise there are 24 team in the league and they cant all be in the top 6 dont you?

I do realise that, however thanks for the reminder.

This club wasnt a pre-season favourite for promotion for no reason. Clearly some of that, perhaps alot of that, was the Coppell affect but we have a good squad.

When you decide to get rid of a largely succesful manager, a manager who in a very short space of time had won promotion, reached a play-off final against all the odds and consolidated, you do so not in the belief that you will take steps backwards.

Clearly all new managers need time to settle, that goes without saying, but by Xmas/the new year Millen will have had half a season to show he is the man to lead the club forward. I wouldnt suggest I have realistic expectations, I felt finishing 10th the year after the play-off final represeted a very good year. However for all the rubbish that is spouted, the fashionable defence that Millen inherited a mess from Coppell, I simply dont believe that to be true. On interview shortly after taking the position Keith said 'im not going to come in here talking promotion or play-offs' and he did that because, however much he wished to avoid it, that was, roundabout, the expectancy level for this year.

If makes peoples lives easier to blame Coppell for the current mess then so be it. I cant say im his biggest fan after the way he behaved, although ironically it must have taken alot of bottle to stand up and admit he'd made a mistake, however id be much more inclined to vent fury at him if he'd have dragged the situation out.

I simply fail to see this mess that Millen was charged with sorting out. Granted we still lacked a left sided threat. But we had signed a right back with over 100 top flight matches, a centre back who had been a rivals player of the year the season before last and a holding central midfielder who had multi-level experience, including once again top flight.

I certainly didnt expect promotion or even play-offs, indeed under Coppell I felt this season would see a late play-off charge, but 15th or lower at Xmas and with relegation not out of the question, with potential off field reprocussions, simply wasnt acceptable. Being bottom after 12 games was unthinkable.

Relegation would be a hammer blow for the clubs ambitions on and off the field, it is unthinkable. Therefore if we ever drifted into a situation where it became thinkable, after a reasonable period of time, I do not believe that we as a club or Mr Lansdown as a business man are in the position to play test dummy to a caretaker manager experiment.

I do realise that, however thanks for the reminder.

This club wasnt a pre-season favourite for promotion for no reason. Clearly some of that, perhaps alot of that, was the Coppell affect but we have a good squad.

When you decide to get rid of a largely succesful manager, a manager who in a very short space of time had won promotion, reached a play-off final against all the odds and consolidated, you do so not in the belief that you will take steps backwards.

Clearly all new managers need time to settle, that goes without saying, but by Xmas/the new year Millen will have had half a season to show he is the man to lead the club forward. I wouldnt suggest I have realistic expectations, I felt finishing 10th the year after the play-off final represeted a very good year. However for all the rubbish that is spouted, the fashionable defence that Millen inherited a mess from Coppell, I simply dont believe that to be true. On interview shortly after taking the position Keith said 'im not going to come in here talking promotion or play-offs' and he did that because, however much he wished to avoid it, that was, roundabout, the expectancy level for this year.

If makes peoples lives easier to blame Coppell for the current mess then so be it. I cant say im his biggest fan after the way he behaved, although ironically it must have taken alot of bottle to stand up and admit he'd made a mistake, however id be much more inclined to vent fury at him if he'd have dragged the situation out.

I simply fail to see this 'mess' that Millen was charged with sorting out. Granted we still lacked a left sided threat. But we had signed a right back with over 100 top flight matches, a centre back who had been a rivals player of the year the season before last and a holding central midfielder who had multi-level experience, including once again top flight.

I certainly didnt expect promotion or even play-offs, indeed under Coppell I felt this season would see a late play-off charge, but 15th or lower at Xmas and with relegation not out of the question, with all accompanying off field isses simply wasnt acceptable. Being bottom after 12 games was unthinkable.

Relegation would be a hammer blow for the clubs ambitions on and off the field, it is unthinkable. Therefore if we ever drifted into a situation where it became thinkable, after a reasonable period of time, I do not believe that we as a club or Mr Lansdown as a business man are in the position to play test dummy to a caretaker manager experiment.

no problem. sounds like you needed the reminder. quite the little journalist arent we? spouting negative drivel about the club for a website nobody reads and suddenly thinking your points are more valid because you post long replies.

sometimes you have to take a few steps backwards before you move forawrds. Sadly it needs patience. Something you clearly lack.

we are where we are. Millen inherited a squad put together by 2 managers and is trying to add his own players to that. If your solution to suddenly flying up the table is to add a 4th manager into the mix in the space of 7 months and then let him add his players to the squad in January then your asking to invite more problems, which you probably want because its easier to write negative stuff than positive stuff.

who would you appoint who would be guaranteed to get us up the table between christmas and May?

no problem. sounds like you needed the reminder. quite the little journalist arent we? spouting negative drivel about the club for a website nobody reads and suddenly thinking your points are more valid because you post long replies.

sometimes you have to take a few steps backwards before you move forawrds. Sadly it needs patience. Something you clearly lack.

we are where we are. Millen inherited a squad put together by 2 managers and is trying to add his own players to that. If your solution to suddenly flying up the table is to add a 4th manager into the mix in the space of 7 months and then let him add his players to the squad in January then your asking to invite more problems, which you probably want because its easier to write negative stuff than positive stuff.

who would you appoint who would be guaranteed to get us up the table between christmas and May?

Its not often I agree with you Dave, but you've put things in a sharpe perspective with this reply. Well said.

HUGE GAME.

Every game at the moment are HUGE when we are in relegatedzone. Our defence are solid at last, hope we can keep it that way. Very good result today. Preston defence are not good so I hope we can make 3-4 goals on saturday. that would be lovely. Offcause I know its gonna be a hard game but Im hoping fo thre points.

Not sure why you're so hostile.

What I write is my opinion of the situation we find ourselves in.

If I didnt write it for 'a website nobody reads', which is both uncalled for and inaccurate - being merely a contributor and not putting any of the hard work that goes into maintaining a website such as that im not sure why you chose to attack the site itself, then I would simply write it on this forum, as I have done for many years previously.

I dont think my point is any more valid than anyone elses and im really not sure what length of reply has to do with anything, you asked me a question and I answered it.

sometimes you have to take a few steps backwards before you move forawrds.

I agree.

However I think that 23 games is enough time, enough patience, to judge if a manager without a track record is struggling or dicing with danger. At which point replacing him should be a consideration at least.

Sadly it needs patience. Something you clearly lack.

I wouldnt say that.

Infact I would imagine I was one of relatively few who felt Johnson could have stayed longer, or alternative action could have been taken.

Whilst I wouldnt go as far as saying I objected to his departure, Im not entirely convinced that persevering with a proven manager and removing negative elements within the playing squad couldnt have happened.

In hindsight, and granted it is hindsight, if we had won any of our remaining nine games after Plymouth we would not have been relegated.

Away from Johnson I said reasonably soon into Tinnion's spell that he should go, however when he didnt I stated he should be given a prolonged period to get things working his way.

If your solution to suddenly flying up the table is to add a 4th manager into the mix in the space of 7 months and then let him add his players to the squad in January then your asking to invite more problems,

Fair enough, that's your opinion.

Id rather, both at the time or if it became clear we were struggling, which as ive said 15th or lower at Xmas would probably be my gauge of that, entrust the situation to a proven manager and let him import his system and methods onto the players.

which you probably want because its easier to write negative stuff than positive stuff.

If you say so.

I write, wherever it is I write it, my opinion.

I was a self confessed Gary Johnson fan, I was hugely excited when Steve Coppell was appointed, I was disappointed when Keith Millen was handed the reins.

Clearly that's a theoretical question as I have no idea who is/would be available.

As I have said, and as I said at the time, Millen could be brilliant or he could be rubbish.

I personally feel that the club has a great deal at stake at present and it would have been better to appoint a manager with a proven track record than gamble on someone without one.

That's my opinion, if yours is different fantastic, not sure where the need to get abusive is.

I have to be honest and say that, me and all my mates travelleing back from Cardiff, all said that City are looking relegation in the face, the way that we still lost from 2-0 up, and the fact that none of the players looked confident, no one was looking for the ball in the middle of the park etc etc. We all said that if City lose the next 2 games (Reading & QPR) then the only option would be to get someone else in.

Not because any of us have a real problem with Millen other than the fact that he has been around the club for so long, and we all feel that the club/players need a fresh face to freshen things up.

I am delighted with the reponse that he has managed to get from the players in the last 3 games, and it shows how quickly things can change! I'm not saying that we are out of the mire but things can change so quickly in football ala the last 2 weeks, lets hope Millen and the boys can keep this form going and keep us unbeaten for a good while!

COYR!!

Not sure why you're so hostile.

What I write is my opinion of the situation we find ourselves in.

If I didnt write it for 'a website nobody reads', which is both uncalled for and inaccurate - being merely a contributor and not putting any of the hard work that goes into maintaining a website such as that im not sure why you chose to attack the site itself, then I would simply write it on this forum, as I have done for many years previously.

I dont think my point is any more valid than anyone elses and im really not sure what length of reply has to do with anything, you asked me a question and I answered it.

I agree.

However I think that 23 games is enough time, enough patience, to judge if a manager without a track record is struggling or dicing with danger. At which point replacing him should be a consideration at least.

I wouldnt say that.

Infact I would imagine I was one of relatively few who felt Johnson could have stayed longer, or alternative action could have been taken.

Whilst I wouldnt go as far as saying I objected to his departure, Im not entirely convinced that persevering with a proven manager and removing negative elements within the playing squad couldnt have happened.

In hindsight, and granted it is hindsight, if we had won any of our remaining nine games after Plymouth we would not have been relegated.

Away from Johnson I said reasonably soon into Tinnion's spell that he should go, however when he didnt I stated he should be given a prolonged period to get things working his way.

Fair enough, that's your opinion.

Id rather, both at the time or if it became clear we were struggling, which as ive said 15th or lower at Xmas would probably be my gauge of that, entrust the situation to a proven manager and let him import his system and methods onto the players.

If you say so.

I write, wherever it is I write it, my opinion.

I was a self confessed Gary Johnson fan, I was hugely excited when Steve Coppell was appointed, I was disappointed when Keith Millen was handed the reins.

Clearly that's a theoretical question as I have no idea who is/would be available.

As I have said, and as I said at the time, Millen could be brilliant or he could be rubbish.

I personally feel that the club has a great deal at stake at present and it would have been better to appoint a manager with a proven track record than gamble on someone without one.

That's my opinion, if yours is different fantastic, not sure where the need to get abusive is.

hostile? I might be hostile if I was telling people you should lose your job and posting links about it. But I'll leave that to you.

sorry I should of said a website people only read because you post links to your negative stories about our club on here. my mistake. Bad news sells hey?

How many teams have been 15th at christmas and gone down? jut interested t osee your research into this decision.

you have said you would sack Millen at christmas if we're 15th. Now you say you have no idea who you'd replace him with because you dont know who will be available. okay today is Christmas. We are 15th. You've just sacked Millen. Who are you replacing him with?

You just described the manager you want. proven with a system and methods that will get us up the table. All you need to do now is add some names. Surely you know the names of some football managers.

hostile? I might be hostile if I was telling people you should lose your job and posting links about it. But I'll leave that to you.

I might be wrong on this, and I mean that sincerely, but I dont believe I have ever said that given the current situation, whatever that was at whatever point in time, Millen should go.

I certainly think there was a case for him going post Norwich, however I dont think I ever suggested it should be so. To be honest, in my opinion, this three game spell has saved his job. If we had failed to win any of the last three, unless we drew them all {or the last two} but then you'd have to factor in performance, I struggle to see an alternative.

After Norwich / before Cardiff I said it is necessary to switch to a back four, which Millen did much to his credit.

I also said that playing Hunt and Stewart were 'all but necessities' (I believe my words were) and clearly that has been proven wrong as a back four without either of them has proved very solid!

Before todays game I said a loss would be a major setback, and went on to say in further conversation, if I hadnt made it clear in the piece, that this was largely because a loss would place huge emphasis on the Preston fixture at which point a loss would put the manager firmly back in the spotlight.

So as I said, and this isnt meant as a challenge or with arrogance or cheek, I dont think ive ever said Millen should be sacked (aside from if we're struggling at Xmas) but if you can prove me wrong I stand corrected.

Infact, although I did comment on various threads touting different names, I actually recall being shot down by someone else in the wake of Norwich (?) because I replied to a thread along the lines of 'Who should we appoint?' saying that touting names right now isnt incredibly helpful.

sorry I should of said a website people only read because you post links to your negative stories about our club on here. my mistake. Bad news sells hey?

I would imagine the amount of 'hits' the site gets from my link is a drop in the Ocean, or perhaps more accurately drop in the lake.

The bit I did before Cardiff was pretty negative I guess but it spoke more of Millen making tough decisions than it did saying he should leave. And considering at that time we'd won one game, just conceded three goals at home which had erased the memory of our most encouraging performance to date, a 1-3 away loss, I didnt really see that there was much positivity to be had.

The reason I put a link on here is because I like to hear feedback from others, just like a forum post, which is essentially all it is anyway.

If we had won every game this season I would do exactly the same, whether it is positive or negative is irrelevant, it's my opinion and im interested to hear if others agree or disagree.

I have no issue or problem with Millen, from what ive seen he seems a genuinely nice guy and has played a large part of our success in recent years.

I genuinely, genuinely hope we now go from strength to strength and he has a long and prosperous career here as manager.

Like all of us, I just want what is best for Bristol City.

How many teams have been 15th at christmas and gone down? jut interested t osee your research into this decision.

I have abolutely no idea and have not researched that.

The approach I took is that appointing Millen is a risk as he has no track record. And I dont believe the club is/was in a position to be taking risks.

I was looking at it from a perspective of whether Keith Millen was doing a good/acceptable/bad job, not x amount of teams have been relegated when 15th or lower at Xmas therefore we must get rid.

you have said you would sack Millen at christmas if we're 15th. Now you say you have no idea who you'd replace him with because you dont know who will be available. okay today is Christmas. We are 15th. You've just sacked Millen. Who are you replacing him with?

If there is absolutely any scope on any level, and if Steve L was willing to pay it, Sean O'Driscoll - although if we were 15th {or lower} at Xmas whether or not he'd be put off is a different matter.

Either at the time of Millen's appointment (if applicable) or if available at Xmas presuming we were struggling, I would have been happier, to varying extents clearly and in no particular order with;

Sean O'Driscoll,

Phil Brown,

Alan Curbishley,

Glenn Hoddle,

Eddie Howe,

Paul Jewell,

Jim Magilton,

Gary Megson,

Martin O'Neil,

Alan Pardew,

Lawrie Sanchez,

Gordon Strachan,

Gianfranco Zola.

I might be wrong on this, and I mean that sincerely, but I dont believe I have ever said Millen should go.

Either at the time of Millen's appointment or if available at Xmas presuming we were struggling, I would have been happier, to varying extents clearly and in no particular order with;

Sean O'Driscoll,

Phil Brown,

Alan Curbishley,

Glenn Hoddle,

Eddie Howe,

Paul Jewell,

Jim Magilton,

Gary Megson,

Martin O'Neil,

Alan Pardew,

Lawrie Sanchez,

Gordon Strachan,

Gianfranco Zola.

Yes, because MARTIN O'NEIL and GLENN HODDLE are REALLY going to come to Bristol City aren't they.......????!!!!

Sorry, O'Driscoll and Curbishley YES......THE rest???!

NO THANK YOU.....

Yes, because MARTIN O'NEIL and GLENN HODDLE are REALLY going to come to Bristol City aren't they.......????!!!!

Sorry, O'Driscoll and Curbishley YES......THE rest???!

NO THANK YOU.....

Yes clearly some of them are obvious choices which it is very doubtful would be interested, I considered putting that after O'Neil but didnt think it would be necessary.

Yes clearly some of them are obvious choices which it is very doubtful would be interested, I considered putting that after O'Neil but didnt think it would be necessary.

What isn't necessary is having Martin O'Neil in potential manager choices as IT WONT EVER HAPPEN.

Half those managers i'd HATE to see as our boss.

What isn't necessary is having Martin O'Neil in potential manager choices as IT WONT EVER HAPPEN.

Half those managers i'd HATE to see as our boss.

I think I should make clear that I would certainly not be thrilled, or even moderately excited by some on that list.

That is a list of feesible managers, bar perhaps O'Neil, O'Driscoll for compensation reasons and Hoddle due to youth commitments, that I would consider less of a risk than Keith Millen.

Risk is the key word for me here. Millen was an unknown quantity, a risk, and I think the club has so much going on at the moment that it was an unnecessary one to take.

I might be wrong on this, and I mean that sincerely, but I dont believe I have ever said that given the current situation, whatever that was at whatever point in time, Millen should go.

I certainly think there was a case for him going post Norwich, however I dont think I ever suggested it should be so. To be honest, in my opinion, this three game spell has saved his job. If we had failed to win any of the last three, unless we drew them all {or the last two} but then you'd have to factor in performance, I struggle to see an alternative.

After Norwich / before Cardiff I said it is necessary to switch to a back four, which Millen did much to his credit.

I also said that playing Hunt and Stewart were 'all but necessities' (I believe my words were) and clearly that has been proven wrong as a back four without either of them has proved very solid!

Before todays game I said a loss would be a major setback, and went on to say in further conversation, if I hadnt made it clear in the piece, that this was largely because a loss would place huge emphasis on the Preston fixture at which point a loss would put the manager firmly back in the spotlight.

So as I said, and this isnt meant as a challenge or with arrogance or cheek, I dont think ive ever said Millen should be sacked (aside from if we're struggling at Xmas) but if you can prove me wrong I stand corrected.

Infact, although I did comment on various threads touting different names, I actually recall being shot down by someone else in the wake of Norwich (?) because I replied to a thread along the lines of 'Who should we appoint?' saying that touting names right now isnt incredibly helpful.

I would imagine the amount of 'hits' the site gets from my link is a drop in the Ocean, or perhaps more accurately drop in the lake.

The bit I did before Cardiff was pretty negative I guess but it spoke more of Millen making tough decisions than it did saying he should leave. And considering at that time we'd won one game, just conceded three goals at home which had erased the memory of our most encouraging performance to date, a 1-3 away loss, I didnt really see that there was much positivity to be had.

The reason I put a link on here is because I like to hear feedback from others, just like a forum post, which is essentially all it is anyway.

If we had won every game this season I would do exactly the same, whether it is positive or negative is irrelevant, it's my opinion and im interested to hear if others agree or disagree.

I have no issue or problem with Millen, from what ive seen he seems a genuinely nice guy and has played a large part of our success in recent years.

I genuinely, genuinely hope we now go from strength to strength and he has a long and prosperous career here as manager.

The approach I took is that appointing Millen is a risk as he has no track record. And I dont believe the club is/was in a position to be taking risks.

I was looking at it from a perspective of whether Keith Millen was doing a good/acceptable/bad job, not x amount of teams have been relegated when 15th or lower at Xmas therefore we must get rid.

If there is absolutely any scope on any level, and if Steve L was willing to pay it, Sean O'Driscoll - although if we were 15th {or lower} at Xmas whether or not he'd be put off is a different matter.

Either at the time of Millen's appointment (if applicable) or if available at Xmas presuming we were struggling, I would have been happier, to varying extents clearly and in no particular order with;

Sean O'Driscoll,

Phil Brown,

Alan Curbishley,

Glenn Hoddle,

Eddie Howe,

Paul Jewell,

Jim Magilton,

Gary Megson,

Martin O'Neil,

Alan Pardew,

Lawrie Sanchez,

Gordon Strachan,

Gianfranco Zola.

Some very well argued points there SJC. A pleasure to read someone who puts so much effort and thought into their posts.

One or two other people are just permanently rude and hostile, take no notice.

Sean O'Driscoll,

Phil Brown,

Alan Curbishley,

Glenn Hoddle,

Eddie Howe,

Paul Jewell,

Jim Magilton,

Gary Megson,

Martin O'Neil,

Alan Pardew,

Lawrie Sanchez,

Gordon Strachan,

Gianfranco Zola.

on this topic post number 3 you said - "I said a couple of weeks ago that, in essence, Millen had already lost his job."

so you think he's already lost his job but you dont want him sacked? you see him as dead in the water but you want him to keep his job? Right.

You'd sack a manager who's team is 15th at xmas even if it turned out that no team in that position has ever been relegated from the championship before? you think sacking Millen at that point would be less disruptive than bringing in a new manager with new ideas who has a week to look at the squad before the transfer window opens with other teams already well ahead in there planning?

last season the team in 15th was 10 points off relegation and 7 points off the playoffs but you'd sack millen if we were in that situation. I'm sure that would send out a nice signal of loyalty to any new manager.

youve drawn up a list of managers which you admit some dont even moderately excite you and others wouldnt be interested, when I asked who you wanted to replace the manager you'll be sacking in 7 weeks time and whose already lost his job anyway. you actually only seem keen on O'driscol who may not be interested. Are you sacking Millen first then approaching a man who might not even want the job?

can I suggest you give running a football club a miss.

I'm tired of this endless debate about whether or not Millen is up to the job.

So far as I am concerned, we have played very well in the last three games gaining 7 points from a possible 9 and I give the manager a lot of credit for that.

What does matter is that we get behind the team again next Saturday for what is definitely a winnable game. The crowd support given to the team during our last two home games was without doubt a major factor in gaining a win against a side who (at the start of the season) were tipped to be top six finishers and the draw v QPR who, despite slipping a bit in recent weeks, still look like they are certain to be heading for automatic promotion.

So, more of the same good form (and crowd support) v Preston and we can look forward to leaving behind the relegation zone (for good) and start heading for what I believe will be a mid-table finish.

Which, after the dreadful start we had, would be quite an achievement.

HUGE GAME.

We need to make AG as intimindatingas as possible the quicker we move above the relagation line the better, mid table by January shiuld be achivable

on this topic post number 3 you said - "I said a couple of weeks ago that, in essence, Millen had already lost his job."

so you think he's already lost his job but you dont want him sacked? you see him as dead in the water but you want him to keep his job? Right.

Prior to Reading we had won one game, conceded two or more goals on seven out of ten occasions (under Millen) - the times we didnt included our only win, away at S****horpe, where we were out chanced 21 to 9 and a 0-0 draw at Burnley in which they missed a penalty, hit the woodwork twice(?) and James put on a show (28 attempts to 9). We had tried a flat back four, switched to wingbacks, and switched back to a four.

Portsmouth away was an encouraging performance despite the scoreline, and the Cardiff performance wasnt all bad, although losing a two goal lead was bitterly disappointing.

Prior to Reading there was virtually nothing to suggest we were making progress, or at least acceptable progress given the circumstances that left the manager exempt from questionning. Even the encouragement of Pompey had come with a system that we had since, rightly in my view, abandoned. We were rock bottom, had suffered our worst start in countless years and had a daunting fixture list on the horizon.

All things considered I felt it would take a run of form so good to get us out of trouble, one that we had seen little to no evidence that we had in us, that Millen and the club were facing an almost impossible task.

That task is still ongoing.

What frustrates me most about your continued rude and confrontational tone is that it is drawing me to be more negative than I otherwise would be.

The 1-0 victory over Reading was a fantastic result, a great night for Millen, the club and the fans. We showed spirit, performed well and I have not heard an Ashton Gate atmosphere like that for quite some time. However let's not delude ourselves, Reading's profligacy infront of goal played a major part of the night. James made more than once excellent save, Shane Long had a one on one within five minutes and Simon Church had a free header inside the six yard box with time expiring.

Yesterday the commentators said M'boro could have been out of sight by half time. And whilst I dont mean to detract from an excellent away win, one that the players and the manager deserve much praise for, the distance between success and falure is a fine line. However unfortunately for us so far this season, when we have done well it has been on a fine margin, when we have not it hasnt.

You'd sack a manager who's team is 15th at xmas even if it turned out that no team in that position has ever been relegated from the championship before? you think sacking Millen at that point would be less disruptive than bringing in a new manager with new ideas who has a week to look at the squad before the transfer window opens with other teams already well ahead in there planning?

23 games, in my opinion, is long enough to pass judgement on how a manager is faring, especially one in his first role, who knows the club, knows the players, knows the relative strengths and weaknesses of the squad as he has worked amongst the environment for the past half decade.

You say 15th, i've said 15th or lower in an attempt to represent an indifferent five months. Again, as I have said, I believe it would take a great deal of managerial incompetence to see this squad struggle and be relegated. From my point of view, if it is clear we are struggling at Xmas (15th or lower is my representation of that) I would look to replace the manager providing there are suitable candidates, and clearly providing we havent won five of the last six etc.

As much as you wish to force my hand and thrust blunt scenarios on me, clearly there are caveats working both ways.

If we are 15th {or lower} at Xmas, are struggling with sporadic form, I wouldnt just throw the job at the next passer by and tell Keith to clear his desk. Again, as ive said, I dont believe ive ever said Millen should be sacked so why exactly you are so robustly taking issue with me is well and truly lost.

The key for me is that the squad of players is sound, it is of a high standard. Some of which Millen/Wigley deserve credit for.

If a new manager came in at Xmas I dont see that they would have to make countless changes in order to turn the ship around. On Millen's arrival some stated that our commitments in the transfer market meant he should stay in the role, in my opinion that is wafer thin reasonning. Sort out the top and work down.

last season the team in 15th was 10 points off relegation and 7 points off the playoffs but you'd sack millen if we were in that situation.

I would make a change if it became clear we were struggling.

If you choose to stick steadfast to 15th that's your prerogative, 15th or lower was my way of communicating if we were struggling without examining specific circumstances or position, or breaking down the finer details of every possible scenario.

I'm sure that would send out a nice signal of loyalty to any new manager.

Football is a business and at present this club has a hell of alot going on.

We are currently, not trying to over egg it, in a defining period of this football club. If we can push ahead and make this stadium happen, and go a long way to making the club self sufficient, we put in place the building blocks for a successful future. That will be best, or easier achieved by a succesful on field unit. The fashionable and ill informed reason produced by your average public swinging vote is 'why does the club need a new stadium, they cant fill the current one.' Therefore the worst possible thing that can happen now is for the club to take prolonged backwards steps.

I agree sometimes you need to go backwards in order to go forwards, I absolutely agree, but we are not in a position where we can wait till March, or in my opinion even beyond Xmas, to see the club once more moving forward. There is simply too much at stake.

The stadium is a huge deal, much greater than many give it credit for. If it doesnt go ahead, which as we stand looks possible at least, likely at worst, then we are left to rely on one mans money to keep the club operational at it's current level. If Mr Lansdown decides he is frustrated with the lack of vision showed by the local community, or perhaps with no vision for a sustainable future he can no longer justify bank rolling the clubs running costs, if that happens and he pulls out his investment there is only way one this club is going.

We are not in a poisition to ride a rollercoaster while teetering on a tightrope of failure. It isnt about everyone having a super fun time filing blindly behind loyalty in the hope that we'll be ok.

If it becomes clear that something is wrong, something isnt working, there is absolutely no time for sentiment, for the good of the football club you act.

youve drawn up a list of managers which you admit some dont even moderately excite you and others wouldnt be interested, when I asked who you wanted to replace the manager you'll be sacking in 7 weeks time and whose already lost his job anyway. you actually only seem keen on O'driscol who may not be interested. Are you sacking Millen first then approaching a man who might not even want the job?

can I suggest you give running a football club a miss.

Many thanks for the suggestion, for someone who clearly has issues with what I write and how I write it you have an incredibly high horse.

Of the list I provided, all of which represent less of a risk than Millen did/does in my opinion;

Delighted

O'Neil - obviously,

O'Driscoll,

Curbishley,

Howe.

Pleased/Content

Pardew,

Brown,

Megson,

Hoddle,

Zola.

Luke Warm

Strachan,

Jewell,

Magilton,

Sanchez,

Millen was a risk.

Before our fantastic win yesterday we were bottom of the table.

Were you happy with that, were you posting glowing postive reviews of our sturdy defence after the 0-3 loss at home vs newly promoted Norwich?

Or perhaps you were keen to dwell on our ability to hold a lead after Cardiff?

Maybe you focused on our attacking penetration following the back to back home defeats vs Watford and Coventry?

Pardon the presumptuousness but im assuming the answer is no with a defence of progress. Progress that was relatively non existent bar Pompey away, where we lost 3-1, and Cardiff away, where we gave away a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2.

In the two pieces I have done of late I have focused on Millen making tough decisions in order to save his job, and how defeat yesterday would have been a massive blow as it would place emphasis on the Preston fixture and subsequently the manager.

I dont come on this forum and consistently and unnecessarily slate the team.

Im not eagerly sat at my keyboard hoping we lose so I can be negative, in your opinion, honest and realistic in mine.

I am delighted that we have turned things around in previous games and we appear to now have a settled unit.

All things considered, which makes your 'bee in the bonnet' stance all the more peculiar, I do not think I have once said Millen should be sacked.

Just because I said he'd all but lost his job already, which believe me nobody would be more delighted to see proved wrong if we escape the threat of relegation, doesnt mean I would have sacked him at that specifc point in time.

Id suggest it was pretty obvious Labour would lose the last election, that doesnt mean I voted Conservative.

I look forward to your next collection of snide remarks.

Sorry SJC but you are being overly harsh on Millen. We didn't have a pre-season. Approx 75% of our first team players were injured for much of it. Our most valuable player is still out till next year. We had the upheavel of Coppell leaving.

I think by and large Millen has coped very well with the whole situation.

Now we are seeing what he can do with a fully fit squad and some TIME. I bet most of those managers you mention you'd have rather have had wouldn't have done a better job, thus far.

Prior to Reading we had won one game, conceded two or more goals on seven out of ten occasions (under Millen) - the times we didnt included our only win, away at S****horpe, where we were out chanced 21 to 9 and a 0-0 draw at Burnley in which they missed a penalty, hit the woodwork twice(?) and James put on a show (28 attempts to 9). We had tried a flat back four, switched to wingbacks, and switched back to a four.

Portsmouth away was an encouraging performance despite the scoreline, and the Cardiff performance wasnt all bad, although losing a two goal lead was bitterly disappointing.

Prior to Reading there was virtually nothing to suggest we were making progress, or at least acceptable progress given the circumstances that left the manager exempt from questionning. Even the encouragement of Pompey had come with a system that we had since, rightly in my view, abandoned. We were rock bottom, had suffered our worst start in countless years and had a daunting fixture list on the horizon.

All things considered I felt it would take a run of form so good to get us out of trouble, one that we had seen little to no evidence that we had in us, that Millen and the club were facing an almost impossible task.

That task is still ongoing.

What frustrates me most about your continued rude and confrontational tone is that it is drawing me to be more negative than I otherwise would be.

The 1-0 victory over Reading was a fantastic result, a great night for Millen, the club and the fans. We showed spirit, performed well and I have not heard an Ashton Gate atmosphere like that for quite some time. However let's not delude ourselves, Reading's profligacy infront of goal played a major part of the night. James made more than once excellent save, Shane Long had a one on one within five minutes and Simon Church had a free header inside the six yard box with time expiring.

Yesterday the commentators said M'boro could have been out of sight by half time. And whilst I dont mean to detract from an excellent away win, one that the players and the manager deserve much praise for, the distance between success and falure is a fine line. However unfortunately for us so far this season, when we have done well it has been on a fine margin, when we have not it hasnt.

23 games, in my opinion, is long enough to pass judgement on how a manager is faring, especially one in his first role, who knows the club, knows the players, knows the relative strengths and weaknesses of the squad as he has worked amongst the environment for the past half decade.

You say 15th, i've said 15th or lower in an attempt to represent an indifferent five months. Again, as I have said, I believe it would take a great deal of managerial incompetence to see this squad struggle and be relegated. From my point of view, if it is clear we are struggling at Xmas (15th or lower is my representation of that) I would look to replace the manager providing there are suitable candidates, and clearly providing we havent won five of the last six etc.

As much as you wish to force my hand and thrust blunt scenarios on me, clearly there are caveats working both ways.

If we are 15th {or lower} at Xmas, are struggling with sporadic form, I wouldnt just throw the job at the next passer by and tell Keith to clear his desk. Again, as ive said, I dont believe ive ever said Millen should be sacked so why exactly you are so robustly taking issue with me is well and truly lost.

The key for me is that the squad of players is sound, it is of a high standard. Some of which Millen/Wigley deserve credit for.

If a new manager came in at Xmas I dont see that they would have to make countless changes in order to turn the ship around. On Millen's arrival some stated that our commitments in the transfer market meant he should stay in the role, in my opinion that is wafer thin reasonning. Sort out the top and work down.

I would make a change if it became clear we were struggling.

If you choose to stick steadfast to 15th that's your prerogative, 15th or lower was my way of communicating if we were struggling without examining specific circumstances or position, or breaking down the finer details of every possible scenario.

Football is a business and at present this club has a hell of alot going on.

We are currently, not trying to over egg it, in a defining period of this football club. If we can push ahead and make this stadium happen, and go a long way to making the club self sufficient, we put in place the building blocks for a successful future. That will be best, or easier achieved by a succesful on field unit. The fashionable and ill informed reason produced by your average public swinging vote is 'why does the club need a new stadium, they cant fill the current one.' Therefore the worst possible thing that can happen now is for the club to take prolonged backwards steps.

I agree sometimes you need to go backwards in order to go forwards, I absolutely agree, but we are not in a position where we can wait till March, or in my opinion even beyond Xmas, to see the club once more moving forward. There is simply too much at stake.

The stadium is a huge deal, much greater than many give it credit for. If it doesnt go ahead, which as we stand looks possible at least, likely at worst, then we are left to rely on one mans money to keep the club operational at it's current level. If Mr Lansdown decides he is frustrated with the lack of vision showed by the local community, or perhaps with no vision for a sustainable future he can no longer justify bank rolling the clubs running costs, if that happens and he pulls out his investment there is only way one this club is going.

We are not in a poisition to ride a rollercoaster while teetering on a tightrope of failure. It isnt about everyone having a super fun time filing blindly behind loyalty in the hope that we'll be ok.

If it becomes clear that something is wrong, something isnt working, there is absolutely no time for sentiment, for the good of the football club you act.

Many thanks for the suggestion, for someone who clearly has issues with what I write and how I write it you have an incredibly high horse.

Of the list I provided, all of which represent less of a risk than Millen did/does in my opinion;

Delighted

O'Neil - obviously,

O'Driscoll,

Curbishley,

Howe.

Pleased/Content

Pardew,

Brown,

Megson,

Hoddle,

Zola.

Luke Warm

Strachan,

Jewell,

Magilton,

Sanchez,

Millen was a risk.

Before our fantastic win yesterday we were bottom of the table.

Were you happy with that, were you posting glowing postive reviews of our sturdy defence after the 0-3 loss at home vs newly promoted Norwich?

Or perhaps you were keen to dwell on our ability to hold a lead after Cardiff?

Maybe you focused on our attacking penetration following the back to back home defeats vs Watford and Coventry?

Pardon the presumptuousness but im assuming the answer is no with a defence of progress. Progress that was relatively non existent bar Pompey away, where we lost 3-1, and Cardiff away, where we gave away a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2.

In the two pieces I have done of late I have focused on Millen making tough decisions in order to save his job, and how defeat yesterday would have been a massive blow as it would place emphasis on the Preston fixture and subsequently the manager.

I dont come on this forum and consistently and unnecessarily slate the team.

Im not eagerly sat at my keyboard hoping we lose so I can be negative, in your opinion, honest and realistic in mine.

I am delighted that we have turned things around in previous games and we appear to now have a settled unit.

All things considered, which makes your 'bee in the bonnet' stance all the more peculiar, I do not think I have once said Millen should be sacked.

Just because I said he'd all but lost his job already, which believe me nobody would be more delighted to see proved wrong if we escape the threat of relegation, doesnt mean I would have sacked him at that specifc point in time.

Id suggest it was pretty obvious Labour would lose the last election, that doesnt mean I voted Conservative.

I look forward to your next collection of snide remarks.

wow. all those words and nothing new added. well done.

try answering more briefly and try to make a point rather than repeating yourself but with more words than you used last time.

Archived