IGNORED

Winning Ugly

Robbored

Before anyone comes on here and complains about how dire the first half was, just remember that Millen came out earlier in the week and said that City needed to find a way of winning at AG. Needs must as they say.

He obviously tried a different system today of 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 if you like and it simply didn't work. He reverted to a traditional 4-4-2 second half and went on to win the game. Good to see him learning on the job.

The second half was a half decent performance. I liked the look of Pitman who chased and harried almost as well as Stead. Well taken goal as well. After they conceded I though Leicester lost the plot and started misplacing passes and eventually resorted to lumping it up the pitch.

Clarkson's spectacular lob for the second goal was the icing on the cake and takes us nicely upto 20th place.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the 2nd half was half decent. We had 3 shots in it but defended better I spose.

It was good to get a home win but to stay up we will need to buck up our ways. Play like that every week and it won't be 0-0 at HT very often.

Next week I would like to say a good controlling performance for once- don't think I have seen one at home under Millen yet.

What concerns me is that Millen must've thought he could win it playing Stead ON HIS OWN up front AT HOME!

What's that all about?

We had a 5-main midfield and were still outplayed by Leicester in the middle. It beggars belief that Millen still thinks he can make a decent midfield out of Johnson and Elliott.

It took us FIFTY TWO MINUTES TO EARN A CORNER - AT HOME!

That's is shameful.

We won with a well-worked set piece and a flukey second and because Leicester's strikers couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

We mugged them today, and we'll play a lot better and lose this season.

Still, mustn't grumble :whistle2:, 3points and out of the relegation zone is good news in anybody's book. :rolleyes:

Before anyone comes on here and complains about how dire the first half was, just remember that Millen came out earlier in the week and said that City needed to find a way of winning at AG. Needs must as they say.

He obviously tried a different system today of 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 if you like and it simply didn't work. He reverted to a traditional 4-4-2 second half and went on to win the game. Good to see him learning on the job.

The second half was a half decent performance. I liked the look of Pitman who chased and harried almost as well as Stead. Well taken goal as well. After they conceded I though Leicester lost the plot and started misplacing passes and eventually resorted to lumping it up the pitch.

Clarkson's spectacular lob for the second goal was the icing on the cake and takes us nicely upto 20th place.

I never made the game today and i rarley agree with you but i do today! A win is a win when your in our posistion and it sounds like he had a plan b today which worked.

Praising millen for the very things you criticised Johnson for. Theres a surprise.

Its sad that being a wind up on a forum is all you have to fill your life these days really.

You are like a dog with a bone.

I've explained several times before that Johnson played like the first half today every week when he didn't need to. Millen, given City's situation near the drop zone, tried something different to win at AG today and it didn't work so he changed things. Johnson never changed things week after week.

Today the result is all that matters, not cheap jibes from you.

When your down near the bottom

The only thing that matters is the result END OF

Lets get into mid table and safe then start thinking about "nice" football

untill then lets just win

Play like we did in the first half at HOME again, and we will get stuffed.

Millens tactics were like a manager who never had a clue.

He put pressure on the players.

Why Skuse came into the team today, only Millen will know.

But agree a win is a win , no matter how ugly.

Sure to keep the fans away!

Agree with a lot of what you say there, with the exception of 'Good to see him learning on the job' - I'm sure if Millen who is a highly qualified coach, and has been around professional football his entire life, wants to be patronised, he'll find someone more qualified than you to patronise him.

What concerns me is that Millen must've thought he could win it playing Stead ON HIS OWN up front AT HOME!

What's that all about?

We had a 5-main midfield and were still outplayed by Leicester in the middle. It beggars belief that Millen still thinks he can make a decent midfield out of Johnson and Elliott.

It took us FIFTY TWO MINUTES TO EARN A CORNER - AT HOME!

That's is shameful.

We won with a well-worked set piece and a flukey second and because Leicester's strikers couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

We mugged them today, and we'll play a lot better and lose this season.

Still, mustn't grumble :whistle2:, 3points and out of the relegation zone is good news in anybody's book. :rolleyes:

Yep I agree, but we can only hope that KM has actually taken that on board and does not try it again at home, it was'nt as some are trying to claim 'a plan that worked', it was a plan that was'nt working so he changed it to one that did, but I hope he knows he got away with it today end of, but credit him for changing things.

The element of de ja vu with last season is still there. Poor defending (although not today), not creating enough chances, giving away early and late goals (although not today), giving away too many penalties, not scoring enough to win a game comfortably and being crap in the first half but playing better in the 2nd at home.

I've explained several times before that Johnson played like the first half today every week when he didn't need to. Millen, given City's situation near the drop zone, tried something different to win at AG today and it didn't work so he changed things. Johnson never changed things week after week.

just pointing out what your up to. Its not a cheap jibe at all.

When Johnson had us high up the league you moaned about him playing dull football and grinding out reuslts. Now we're at the bottom you praise the manager for playing dull football and grinding out results. Do you need me to point out why Johnson might have set up teams the way he did or can you use the evidence to work it out yourself?

Do point out later in the season when the result doesnt matter though wont you?

Dog with a bone is a good one - be fair Robbo...there's never been an OTIB member with more of an agenda than you in the GJ years...but they're past us.

Good result today...missed the second half commentary...first half sounded dire...again...

We're near the drop zone as a direct result of the decision to appoint an inexperienced manager - in my opinion. But good luck to Keith. Hopefully we can pull away now.

Obviously winning is the most important thing, but I dont see how anyone could deny that we were bloody awful today!!!! Even in the second half, we only looked a decent side for the first 20 minutes before sitting back and letting Leicester come at us...

Still, Millen has hopefully learnt a valuable lesson that 4-5-1 at home is NOT going to work for us.

nothing to do with a manager quitting and leaving the club in chaos

a bit - but more to do with appointing Coppel in the first place and not spotting his lack of commitment and then having a panic and appointing a guy who wasn't what we were told the club needed when GJ left.

But who cares now really - it's nearly Christmas. Millen's not going anywhere and we can but hope he does well. The season's been rubbish so far. I for one am finding more and more reasons not to go to the Gate to watch boring football and a relegation scrap. Seen too much of that in my time. Fair play to those still finding the energy to make it.

Agree with a lot of what you say there, with the exception of 'Good to see him learning on the job' - I'm sure if Millen who is a highly qualified coach, and has been around professional football his entire life, wants to be patronised, he'll find someone more qualified than you to patronise him.

It was a 'tongue in cheek' remark and not to be taken too seriously.

We're near the drop zone as a direct result of the decision to appoint an inexperienced manager - in my opinion. But good luck to Keith. Hopefully we can pull away now.

I'm gald you added 'in my opinion'.

Its not Millens fault that inherited the mess and instability left by Coppell's exit. Its taken this long to start turning things around. One loss in 7 games and 14 points at an average of 2 points per game - promotion form :shocking:

Its not Millens fault that inherited the mess and instability left by Coppell's exit. Its taken this long to start turning things around. One loss in 7 games and 14 points at an average of 2 points per game - promotion form :shocking:

Please just try to be honest and you would'nt get so much stick. Coppell did'nt pick the side today, Coppell did'nt decide on the 4-5-1 set up. it was and has been a mark of inexperience that Millen has started too many home games with this set up and it ain't pretty or to successful. He got lucky today twice, once that the game was'nt out of sight by half time and secondly that the change he did make actually had an impact. Now I can give him credit for that and lets just hope he has learnt a lesson from it, because he might not be so lucky next time.

With Maynard to come back who knows, we know three wins on the trot you go from relegation to possibly play-off contenders, mad league and the best in English football because you just don't know who will beat who.

Game of 2 halves, 'didn't work so he changed things'... I seem to remember us coming from behind to get something out of 7 consecutive games under GJ at one stage.

When Johnson had us high up the league you moaned about him playing dull football and grinding out reuslts. Now we're at the bottom you praise the manager for playing dull football and grinding out results. Do you need me to point out why Johnson might have set up teams the way he did or can you use the evidence to work it out yourself?

Do point out later in the season when the result doesnt matter though wont you?

Johnson's 'grinding out results' was taking City down right upto and including the Argyle defeat prior to his exit. He set up his teams not to lose home and away and because of that City lacked flair. Take away or even halve Maynards 20 goals and City would have been in the relegation battle.

Millen ground out a result today because of City's fragile league position and despite that he still sets up with two wingers every game.

I've said before that when City are well above the drop zone Millen will produce far more attacking displays.

I'll let you know when that happens, just in case your pre-occupied tuning in to Radio Cambridgeshire.

Johnson's 'grinding out results' was taking City down right upto and including the Argyle defeat prior to his exit. He set up his teams not to lose home and away and because of that City lacked flair. Take away or even halve Maynards 20 goals and City would have been in the relegation battle.

Millen ground out a result today because of City's fragile league position and despite that he still sets up with two wingers every game.

I've said before that when City are well above the drop zone Millen will produce far more attacking displays.

I'll let you know when that happens, just in case your pre-occupied tuning in to Radio Cambridgeshire.

Dog with bone?, come on ginge OK he changed it and we won, but don't try to claim it as a science, he got lucky twice and you know it, but i'm happy if he has learnt a lesson from it, perhaps we will see against Sheff U.

Dog with bone?, come on ginge OK he changed it and we won, but don't try to claim it as a science, he got lucky twice and you know it, but i'm happy if he has learnt a lesson from it, perhaps we will see against Sheff U.

We will see.

The Blades have won thier last two games and are 2 points above City. It will be another tight game but two back to wins move any club way up the table. Even more motivation should it be required.

I expect Millen to go 4-4-2 and will be Pitman in for Stead if Stead's ankle injury keeps him out.

Take away or even halve Maynards 20 goals and City would have been in the relegation battle.

As I stated in response to you on a different thread;

If the team had shown an ounce of bottle and not conceded last minute goals on the 8(!?) occassions they did last year, after the Plymouth game we would have been clear in sixth.

You werent a fan of Johnson, I was, so it's clearly inevitable that we'll take our different slants. However I genuinely believe it is a fairer reflection on last season to say we'd have been well in the promotion mix (6th, a point off 4th and 5th after the Plymouth defeat) if we hadnt embarrassingly folded late in countless games, than to say we'd have battled relegation if a striker hadnt have scored goals.

As I stated in response to you on a different thread;

If the team had shown an ounce of bottle and not conceded last minute goals on the 8(!?) occassions they did last year, after the Plymouth game we would have been clear in sixth.

You werent a fan of Johnson, I was, so it's clearly inevitable that we'll take our different slants. However I genuinely believe it is a fairer reflection on last season to say we'd have been well in the promotion mix (6th, a point off 4th and 5th after the Plymouth defeat) if we hadnt embarrassingly folded late in countless games, than to say we'd have battled relegation if a striker hadnt have scored goals.

couldn't agree more!

Was ugly but 3 points is 3 points same again next week DONT care how we get them just keep em coming .

That was bloody dire today and to be honest Im pissed off watching shite performance after shite performance. Leicester were mugged today and how we came out of that match winning 2-0 is completely beyond me. We should of been 3 or 4 down before we even mustered a shot on goal.

I don't think we should be slapping ourselfs on the back because Leicester could not finish their chances. Play like that for the rest of the season and we'll go down....

Millen sort it out, we are as much a shambles now as we were 3 months ago....but we won so it papers over the problems for many on here apparently.

Archived