IGNORED

Mcallister

Robbored

Along with some others I've been a big critic of McAllister pretty much the whole time City have been in the Championship. His game never seemed to get any better and he had the frustrating habit of lumping the ball up the pitch again and again only to see it come straight back. He rarely ever found another City player. He was prone to frequently getting caught out of position and making reckless challenges.

But.....

The last few games, certainly the home games he's been much better. No long aimless punts up the pitch at all. He's started passing to his team mates :dancing2: and overall looks a far better player. I though he played well against Leicester (although speedster Dyer left him for dead at one point) and again on Saturday.

He's been at City since 2006 and in that time hasn't impressed many fans but in a relatively short period under Millen he's finally begun to show what a decent player he could be. The sad thing is that he's 32 and its taken him 4 season's to start showing us what he's capable of.

Lets hope that these recent improvements are not temporary and that he can maitain his form over a long period.

He impressed me when he first came here - he was very good in his first season.

Technically he is very good - but very often he just does not engage his brain - plus the fact he thinks he can pass it like beckham.

But we still need a left back for 2 reasons...

1) We need competition for his place - its scandalous that he's had his place in the team no matter what

2) I doubt he can keep this form up consistently

Ive never had a problem with him, its only the same knee jerk reaction people on here who have, the ones who whatever the result always look for a scapegoat.

That is absolute rubbish - I've always said mcallister is the weak link, even when we have been doing well.

How can you not have problem with him - does it not bother when he lumps it every time he gets the ball?

<br />&quot;that's rubbish&quot; ha ha. He's only had to knock it long when he had no one playing on the left side of midfield. Which was all of last season and the first few games of this one.<br />But you haven't worked that out!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

dont mean to be rude, but that is such a shit excuse that people are hanging on to. There are 9 outfield team-mates to pass to - does not have to pass to the left winger, there is no rule.

And what was his excuse when mcindoe was here? he could have bas savage on the left wing, but thats no excuse for not engaging his brain.

good to see him playing well at the moment tho

I think Mcasllister had a great game on Saturday. But I also agree he has been a weak link in the last few seasons, however like a poster said above, it's not entirely his fault. When you got no support infront of you, or inside you, what else are you going to do rather than a long ball? Could be faital if he tried taking someone on and lost it. However in the recent season he's been very good when he has the support of Rose. I also think James has something to do with his recent form, as many can see James likes passing it to the defenders instead of lumping it, which I think may have triggered Mcallister to keep possestion and pass it to midfield.

It's not the fans he has to impress, it's the manager. Presumably he must be doing something OK as he's made over 150 full appearances since arriving at AG.

His set piece deliveries this season have been amazing, maybe giving him that responsibility that could be down to Millen.

Once again i will reiterate what i have said all along, in that McCallister is a very competant left back at this level, and his set piece delivery is now a crucial part of our game, he has had an easy ride in that we have had no natural cover to compete for his place week in week out, but whether people like it or not he has been made a scapegoat for our failings earlier this season, when i couldnt pick one player that was playing well....and i for one am really pleased that he is now showing some consistency, as the rest of the squad have!!

I don't want to be negative at a time like this but I really think McAllister's shortcomings have been there for all to see for a while. Even in Millen's first game, Doncaster away, a sterling defensive performance was overshadowed by McAllister getting done and putting in a ridiculous challenge that was never going to win the ball to deny us of 2 further points. He has all too often been the weak link since our promotion and gets done far too regularly, but his turnaround in form has been more than impressive, and certainly the QPR game springs to mind as one where he had the opposition in his back pocket, even a fresh-legged Tommy Smith for the final half hour. A credit to management and most importantly McAllister, and if he keeps this form up any potential replacement will have work to do not to be sat on the bench.

Mcindoe and JM linked really well together ( it coincided with a promotion and a play off final so it was obvious) now finally with Rose infront of him he can knock balls to feet again..

Sitting in the lower Dolman nr the Atyeo we get the same view as he does when he recieves the ball, he has not had options at all untill Rose has played there,hence, he has had to knock it long. .

Because we werent playing with anyone wide left, the centre of midfield was not an option for him to knock it in because the oppo right midfielder was able to tuck in and cut stuff out.

The difference now is that because of Rose he can play it to his feet or often into the central midfield pair. Our shape wasnt there all of last season,now that we have it back JM has more options than having to knock it long.

because his delivery has been poor - its improved along with his performances, but overall they have been poor - particularly when we have a chance to shoot from a free kick.

Riaz, you must be watching a different game to me !

His shooting has been poor, but there haven't been that many opportunities in that respect. I'm talking about corners as well as free kicks. Apart from the four assists for goals most of his set pieces end on one of our heads, usually Marv, or cause panic in the box, especially when he's curling it in from the right.

Riaz, you must be watching a different game to me !

His shooting has been poor, but there haven't been that many opportunities in that respect. I'm talking about corners as well as free kicks. Apart from the four assists for goals most of his set pieces end on one of our heads, usually Marv, or cause panic in the box, especially when he's curling it in from the right.

4 is poor, considering he has taken all of our set-pices.

just to point out Mcindoe never played for us in our promotion season,

Macca is an avg championship footballer and a good league one player,

His set peices are good he's top of our assist charts and has scored so to say there not is just rubbish, (he's almost got as many assists so far this season then hartley did all of last season)

He needs replaceing as he's whte wrong side of 30,

Also his improvement isn't really down to Millen its down to the fact he doesn't have to do 2 players jobs as we now have a left midfielder (although millen did bring rose in so I guess you could be right)

Anyway macca will get less flack now I expect Skuse will pick up the scapegoat now

He still frustrates the hell out of me at times with some inaccurate passing, but I have to agree with much of the above.

To me he seems much more composed on the ball. Fall less nervy and playing with a bit more belief. He's still not a world beater, but I'm happy for him to retain his place.

Millen comes out with, he's looking for LB when the window opens.

So Mcallister comes out with a much better performance.

Kick up the arse or what!

Agreed.......But Macca's performances have been improving over last 4 games or so anyway

One thing on this new LB we are all expecting to unwrap in new year......I dont think it will be an experienced player......he is wanted as cover......I expect it to be a good young lower leaguer who we may not even see play unless macca gets injured

Most of his set pieces have been garbage. The one for Pitman's goal was good thinking though.

I thought he was OK against Sheff Utd but overall this season, poor. Looking forward to a new left back in Jan.

If you watch Pitman's movement prior to the free kick you will see it was all down to him, all McCallister had to do was make a reasonable pass!

McCallister is the weak link and has been for a long time. The corner for the goal was just one of his usual poor efforts - the goalkeeper on this occasion was equally as poor, any decent goalkeeper would have caught it or cleared it as it was so poorly placed!!!

If you watch Pitman's movement prior to the free kick you will see it was all down to him, all McCallister had to do was make a reasonable pass!

McCallister is the weak link and has been for a long time. The corner for the goal was just one of his usual poor efforts - the goalkeeper on this occasion was equally as poor, any decent goalkeeper would have caught it or cleared it as it was so poorly placed!!!

So poorly placed in the back of the net...?

Think I would take a poorly placed ball in the back of the net over the most perfect placed free kick in the world with no end product

Archived