IGNORED

Chief Scout / David Lee

Dynamite Red

Pete Johnson left us back in June to join up with Gary at Peterborough, as far as I am aware David Lee who was overseeing the development of our 18-21 year old academy players and was given the role of chief scout as a temporary measure, Is it now the case that he has taken this position full time? Was anyone ever employed by the club to replace his previous position e.g. help make the transition of Academy player to first team pro?

It would be nice to have an update on this and maybe an interview with David Lee on 'player' to update us about his role, how he is finding it, general overview on the future of our scouting network and his long term vision.

I would be very interested in his view on scouting foreign players, after a few recent failures we were told we would be concentrating on only bringing players from the British market. I believe this is a huge error, we just need to be more proactive in scouting leagues and nationalities that will settle easier and be accustomed to the British game e.g. Scandinavians, Germans, Dutch, Belgians and not Costa Ricans, Slovakians and Hungarians.

I know of several players in Scandinavia we should be at least having a look at and one is a left back and the other is a creative central midfielder but its no good if we have a policy of British only.

edit: also what happened to sport scientist Kunle Odetoyinbo, is he still with us?

Pete Johnson left us back in June to join up with Gary at Peterborough, as far as I am aware David Lee who was overseeing the development of our 18-21 year old academy players and was given the role of chief scout as a temporary measure, Is it now the case that he has taken this position full time? Was anyone ever employed by the club to replace his previous position e.g. help make the transition of Academy player to first team pro?

It would be nice to have an update on this and maybe an interview with David Lee on 'player' to update us about his role, how he is finding it, general overview on the future of our scouting network and his long term vision.

I would be very interested in his view on scouting foreign players, after a few recent failures we were told we would be concentrating on only bringing players from the British market. I believe this is a huge error, we just need to be more proactive in scouting leagues and nationalities that will settle easier and be accustomed to the British game e.g. Scandinavians, Germans, Dutch, Belgians and not Costa Ricans, Slovakians and Hungarians.

I know of several players in Scandinavia we should be at least having a look at and one is a left back and the other is a creative central midfielder but its no good if we have a policy of British only.

edit: also what happened to sport scientist Kunle Odetoyinbo, is he still with us?

Totally agree. Finding the right overseas players, would benefit the Club both financially and Quality wise. Ivan Testamatanue (sp) was a great assett to us back in the day.

Also some in depth background information on our academy and Scouting regime, would be nice to read. I often feel, not part of this Club, because of the lack of information. Perhaps that's how they want it. Keep the masses at bay...as long as we get their money.

Good points.

For all the criticism levelled (with some justification) in the latter part of GJ's reign about our scouting the January interviews with Pete Johnson were essential viewing.

As I understood it Dave Lee is now the full time chief scout, hence his absence on match days.

The other chap (I won't attempt to spell his name) is definitely still with us and was taking the pre match warm up yesterday.

I don't know if the club has an official 'anti-foreign' scouting policy, but it would be pretty naive if they did.

Obviously the sensible thing would be to have a balanced policy, which looked in various places.

Gems can still be found abroad and Becchio at Leeds immediately springs to mind. Barnsley and Swansea also seemed to have picked up good quality players for very little over recent years.

I don't know if the club has an official 'anti-foreign' scouting policy, but it would be pretty naive if they did.

Obviously the sensible thing would be to have a balanced policy, which looked in various places.

Gems can still be found abroad and Becchio at Leeds immediately springs to mind. Barnsley and Swansea also seemed to have picked up good quality players for very little over recent years.

Not 'anti foreign' but but due to recent foriegn signing not settling it has been implied we won't be taking a chance on foriegn players whilst in the Championship, which leaves only the British market. So if were not in the market sign foriegn players I doubt we are scouting them, again an interview with David Lee could clarify this.

"Peter struggled being away from Slovakia and that's why we allowed him to go out on loan," said Gary. "But he's struggled in Greece too and has now returned to his home country.

"You can't make a blanket statement that all foreigners tend to struggle to settle, that's not true.

"They're all decent players and internationals, and at their levels in their countries they are good players. You take a bit of a chance when you bring a foreign player in. I've had a chat with the chairman and it's a chance we won't be taking again.

"Whether it's the application to the Championship or whether they can handle the pressures of the league and how many games we play, plus homesickness of course.

"It's cost us two players this year and we'll learn from it and move on."

Kunle takes the warm-ups before every match, so yes he's still with us!

Archived