IGNORED

Midfield.....what Midfield?

Donald

Considering with his 'majesitic' presence last season we were still getting torn to pieces in the midfield. something thats true this season as well, Id say that his presence wasnt all that and the control and composure and whatever really didnt count for much. When we have still the exact same midfield issues now and he isnt even here. Massive impact he had then isnt it?

How many Hartley Goals were Pens?

3 I believe so yeah, perhaps the goals thing was overstated but in terms of assists he did provide more than the other 3 combined. Maybe that is a reflection on how poor the other 3 were in that area last year but I do believe we would be better in the League with him.

As for the inability to control midfield, perhaps that is because we persist with a 4-4-2? 'The team who controls the midfield, controls the game.' Hartley with a ball winner and a tough tackler either side of him might have done better.

5 goals and 6 assists- not world beating granted but not bad either. Stats don't always tell the whole story though it is also about composure on the ball, in tight spaces and controlling a midfield. Can we honestly say our current central midfielders do this?

By way of comparison- that is better than Elliott, Skuse and Johnson combined last year- they produced the grand total of 4 goals and 4 assists!

We've also got to remember that Paul Hartley was 33/ 34 years old when he played for us. In my opinion, Paul Hartley did really well for us, we did well to sign him and surely we can find a central midfielder of the same calibre in the transfer window. The right midfield General would pull the team together because we do lack leadership in central midfield.

Archived