IGNORED

Midfield.....what Midfield?

Donald

Since many are taking the easy option of blaming the manager, think it's worth mentioning the actual today whomin general people haven't been blaming.

team line up, not much we could have been done, but for me the problem was solely in midfield, we just didn't control it today even in spells, we just weren't at the races and there was where the game was lost.

Albert - works hard, but has been Sussed now at the level and is getting doubled up on, best spells came when he moved up front and to left wing

JCR - liability - can't beat a man, doesn't get crosses in and doesn't defend. Terrible signing from day onen(some believe he's better than Rose!...yikes!!!) just not good enough

LJ - most over discussed city player in history, and today had a mare again, doesn't shoot when free to, doesnt create enough and gives away needless balls. (great at passing back to defence though) just not good enough constantly at this level.

Marv - one of his worst games for a while, never got going, passing was poor and didnt get stuck in.

When you look at the other options, we have none. Williams, injured, skuse at right back and Hartley let go pathetically by coppell, so not much Keith can do

As a group, they were woeful, didn't create anything and didn't help the defence, personally I point the finger at them today for defeat time and time again, boro just waltzed through te middle of the park.

We need someone in the desperately!

Since many are taking the easy option of blaming the manager, think it's worth mentioning the actual today whomin general people haven't been blaming.

team line up, not much we could have been done, but for me the problem was solely in midfield, we just didn't control it today even in spells, we just weren't at the races and there was where the game was lost.

Albert - works hard, but has been Sussed now at the level and is getting doubled up on, best spells came when he moved up front and to left wing

JCR - liability - can't beat a man, doesn't get crosses in and doesn't defend. Terrible signing from day onen(some believe he's better than Rose!...yikes!!!) just not good enough

LJ - most over discussed city player in history, and today had a mare again, doesn't shoot when free to, doesnt create enough and gives away needless balls. (great at passing back to defence though) just not good enough constantly at this level.

Marv - one of his worst games for a while, never got going, passing was poor and didnt get stuck in.

When you look at the other options, we have none. Williams, injured, skuse at right back and Hartley let go pathetically by coppell, so not much Keith can do

As a group, they were woeful, didn't create anything and didn't help the defence, personally I point the finger at them today for defeat time and time again, boro just waltzed through te middle of the park.

Totally agree with most points, and as I've said elsewhere, any other manager who comes in now would have exactly the same issues that Millen is experiencing - we need to move players on before getting somebody else in.

If Keef can get some players out, I'd like us to really go for bringing in some top quality into central midfield (who? i don't know), but I do know that the likes of Charlie Adams for Blackpool totally made that club.

Unfortunately the type of player we need, needs to be able to tackle, pass forward, organise and score goals, which ain't gonna come cheap - Oh, and they'll have to want to come way out West to Bristol also !

Ive said many times that Lee Johnson should not play in midfield with just one other. He lacks muscle and in recent games not brought much creativity either.

Even more need now for a another midfielder with Skuse having to play at right back.

I have some sympathy for Millen who has inherited a badly unbalanced squad and untill this window has had no chance to improve the balance. He has to act.

If this window closes with no additions to the squad then the remaining months of this season will be a lot tougher.

Sensible post.

The release of Hartley, without an adequate replacement was perhaps the most damaging decision out of many that coppell made to turn our club upside down

Looked at the bench today and could not see anyone there to get the side moving. This is the big worry about our squad, there is no-one to bring on to change the game, its all like for like, and today it was total dross. Looks like our good run is behind us and the rest of the season is gonna be tough unless something drastic happens in the window.

Agree the Midfield was shocking but we had two midfielders Skuse and Cisse in the back four when we had three defenders on the bench...that meant there was nobody else to come in. JCR is a right winger, so is Adomah, so is Haynes, so is Sproule. Millen...the man who picked this unbalanced side with Midfielders in defence and only Sproule on the bench capable of making an impact in that area says in tonight's Evening Post that we don't need to do biusiness in the transfer window. Yes, the midfield were awful but a good manager would have strength on the bench to make changes and would not have our next best midfielders in defence....sorry, but it is the manager's fault.

Before I was banned from this forum - 6 months ago - I'm sure I wrote that we urgently needed to replace Paul Hartley with a player of the same calibre or else we'd struggle. We haven't got that Paul Hartley replacement and we're struggling with our midfield. I just hope we can sign someone for our central midfield during the transfer window because on today's performance against 'Boro we really did struggle in midfield as did Cisse behind them.

Agree the Midfield was shocking but we had two midfielders Skuse and Cisse in the back four when we had three defenders on the bench...that meant there was nobody else to come in. JCR is a right winger, so is Adomah, so is Haynes, so is Sproule. Millen...the man who picked this unbalanced side with Midfielders in defence and only Sproule on the bench capable of making an impact in that area says in tonight's Evening Post that we don't need to do biusiness in the transfer window. Yes, the midfield were awful but a good manager would have strength on the bench to make changes and would not have our next best midfielders in defence....sorry, but it is the manager's fault.

The same side as that Took 4 points off QPR and Cardiff?

Fontaine proved last week he's not fully, carey similar......both only on the bench because we have no other players fit.....Stewart I barely class as a footballer let alone a defender

As for JCR, he's never really played right wing since he's been here.

Millen has said a number of times he's trying to bring in players, but there is no point him signing crap to replace crap.

Who exactly would you have on th bench? I suppose we are to magic players out of thin air

Once again we were woeful.

I can't remember a time when we appeared so fragile once we come under pressure and concede.

So many problems in so many areas of the pitch, however as far as midfiled is concerned I been wondering for while whether it has occured to KM to consider trying Clarkson in midfield.

He has more physical presence than LJ, can pick out a pass and ought to be able to get into more attacking positions.

He will never make it here as an out and out striker, but has been played "in the hole" before. So surely if he was just to play a bit deeper along side Marv it might be worth a try.

At the moment it seems it's either Marv + LJ, Skuse or Cisse and none of those combinations are very successful. If we can't get a new decent CM player in, it might be worth looking at.

Please you must not critisise Lee Johnson . He is idolised by idiots with very high academic qualifications such as Riaz and therefore must have had wonderful game.

The fact that I and many others thought he is garbage is not understood by these academic Johnson lovers.

Good post. 9/10 times, the team that controls the midfield tends to control the game. We do miss Hartley I think, JCR I agree isn't the best.

I might suggest, contary to the views of Lee Johnson lovers such as Riaz, that if Lee's Dad had played Hartley instead of his beloved son on so many occasions last season, we might have had Hartley for this season.

Please you must not critisise Lee Johnson . He is idolised by idiots with very high academic qualifications such as Riaz and therefore must have had wonderful game.

The fact that I and many others thought he is garbage is not understood by these academic Johnson lovers.

You've got to wonder what is going on at this club. Paul Hartley leaves, no central midfielder of his calibre is signed to replace him. Thus, Lee Johnson's now back in centre midfield. It wasn't just Lee Johnson against Boro that seemed hopeless because the rest of the midfield were very poor as well.

I agree, the ease in which Boro waltzed through our midfield today was extremely concerning. Definitely the area that we need to look at.

yep the worst of it is that par possibly the first goal none of the goals were from dominating the game or pressurising our half and just shows how poor we are if we not all gun out attacking and solid at the back.

Agree with what is said about JCR just runs into blind alleys not enough aware enough at this level. LJ and Elliot way below par and both need more competition but if one had to be sold to make way for a creative midfielder would be LJ to leave. Just unbelievable that no one in the midfield could actually turn around whilst running and look up at the options except Albert.

Really felt sorry for Pitman and Stead both great players but don't have a chance if they don't have decent service.

Your only one of a few on this board Donald who talks any sense.

Games are won and lost on the strength of a midfield and ours whoever we play in the central area especially, are not consistently good enough in a 442.

Another problem is with LJ or Skuse sitting Marv is then asked to get forward. That's understandable as his determination is likely to get a goal ahead of the other two.

Unfortunately though this is not Marvs true game. He then is finding himself in attacking areas and the poor blokes being asked to create and/or link ply when its not his game. Though an excellent player he's not the 'footballer' type you need in that advanced midfield position.

As per the wide men then i think it was Robored said a while back and i agreed. Albert will show what hes about once opposition teams sus him out. They have recently and hes been quite cos of it. He still though is our most dangerous player and that's worrying.

We need someone in the middle with the nous to take advantage of these gaps.

Agree on JCR. Dribble dribble dribble goes nowhere fast never picks his head up is weak and predictable. Hopefully now some will see what Rose brought to the side.

We are a very one dimensional team, Stop Albert stop City. We urgently need a player like Busaky to add another dimension to our game.

He is a realistic target. Get him in and play a 352 or 451/433.

I might suggest, contary to the views of Lee Johnson lovers such as Riaz, that if Lee's Dad had played Hartley instead of his beloved son on so many occasions last season, we might have had Hartley for this season.

I haven't seen many games this season but he might in relative terms still be our most creative central midfielder currently? Even so that is not saying much and I agree, we do miss Hartley.

Your only one of a few on this board Donald who talks any sense.

Games are won and lost on the strength of a midfield and ours whoever we play in the central area especially, are not consistently good enough in a 442.

Another problem is with LJ or Skuse sitting Marv is then asked to get forward. That's understandable as his determination is likely to get a goal ahead of the other two.

Unfortunately though this is not Marvs true game. He then is finding himself in attacking areas and the poor blokes being asked to create and/or link ply when its not his game. Though an excellent player he's not the 'footballer' type you need in that advanced midfield position.

As per the wide men then i think it was Robored said a while back and i agreed. Albert will show what hes about once opposition teams sus him out. They have recently and hes been quite cos of it. He still though is our most dangerous player and that's worrying.

We need someone in the middle with the nous to take advantage of these gaps.

Agree on JCR. Dribble dribble dribble goes nowhere fast never picks his head up is weak and predictable. Hopefully now some will see what Rose brought to the side.

We are a very one dimensional team, Stop Albert stop City. We urgently need a player like Busaky to add another dimension to our game.

He is a realistic target. Get him in and play a 352 or 451/433.

Agree very much so. When playing 4-4-2 we can certainly get overrun. Other problem with that formation of course- the wingers have to track back and JCR does not strike me as being the best in terms of tracking his runner. Rose surely better than JCR I'd have thought. I wouldn't object to a 4-5-1/4-3-3- especially on the road. We do need a creative presence in the centre too as you say.

Hartley started twice as many league games as Lee Johnson last season. 36 to 18.

and we finished 10th with 63 points...

Paul Hartley feeding exquisite through balls to Maynard at the end of last season was delightful to watch. If only we could get a similar calibre central midfielder to feed Stead and Pitman - hat tricks from those players would surely follow.

Archived