IGNORED

Premier League

marmite

If were not aspiring to the prem them what's the point ?

I think the championship is a fantastic league but and this statement is full of contradiction

The best matches in my opinion in WORLD FOOTBALL are the championship playoffs !

It's about fans home and away giving everything the players producing that extra little bit they never knew they had !

Now is that because they all want to reach the Premier League or because it's the best 3,4,5,6th placed teams playing eachother and a great advert for championship football ?

I know I'd rather watch a championship playoff match than Chelsea Manu on sky or a champions league final !

Why are the championship playoffs so great, because it's where we all want to be, fans players and a chairman who simply isn't throwing his money down the drain to be a average championship team !

Lansdown is a winner which is why he gives his managers the necessary time to build a team capable of promotion

I'm amazed there is even a debate here. Those people who allegedly don't want to be promoted because the Premier League is characterless and driven by greed need to take a step back from their cliched 'football isn't what it used to be' stance, realise that the league system is Af the heart of football as know it, and accept that times are changing whether we like it or not.

Times do change but the bottom line stays the same MONEY if it was a ten quid top whack price to get in fans might be more inclined to bend with the times but it ain't, football is always being compered to all spheres of entertainment you have to pay for top flight actors,singers,comics whatever so yes the Prem is going to be a breeding ground for the needy and greedy........ City have no real history of competing at the top level the fall out from the 1st Division days was going tits up in 82 then the costs were pea-nuts alongside todays mega-debts that clubs run up.............................. The apathy towards Bristol football will never see regular 30,000 crowds at City ask any longtime fan the hard-core support has always been 10to15 thousand at most , most would like to see City in the prem but with out taking the club down the going bust road unless there is a massive change in attitude and huge financial backing to ensure there is a club many would at this time stay put ....... How many people have been near £12 million let alone be in hock to that amount ????????? So many clubs are chasing the prem golden payday City aren't a huge club the prem would put more bums on seats but at what cost to the hardcore fans and club...

It's gotta be about the football. Like some of the other posts, I just want to see good football...

Building a better team from developing youth, shrewd deals or big signings, I don't think you can build a great team without collectively having great ambition! So the aspirations have got to be promotion and then ever onwards and upwards.

I don't think the "happy where we are" works for me. It's been a weird season with what happened at the start but we want to win the current relegation battle so we can have another go at promotion next season.

Slightly deluded I maybe, but it's not totally outrageous for me to think and hope that City can be big club one day.

You redz

Blackpool are not an example of the business model to follow as they operated within their means or close to it to gain promotion, Bristol City FC are not even close.

The list of clubs who screwed up goes well beyond Leeds, Norwich, Sheff Weds, far further.

Steve Gibson is a shrewd businessmen and his clubs debts far exceed Bristol City's, his bank rolling of Boro far exceeds Steve Lansdown's in a relatively new stadium, as for the Riverside the atmosphere is notoriously poor and the clubs attendances are in free fall.

Surely if you think Ashton Vale may be more than crap and the Premier League might not be all that at a price you can ill afford doesn't make you a lesser fan?

I don't enter the stadium willing the club to lose.

Frome, we can agree to disagree on this one but i believe Blackpool are an ideal model to follow in regards to how you conduct yourselves financially when you enter the premier, they pay sensible wages and transfer fees so if they do get relegated in the first season then they are in a sound position to go back up.

If you look at the majority of football clubs they are most probably in some sort of debt but the key issue is, is the debt one that is manageable and most are look at Man Utd.

This club and the city in general needs to move forward it is regarded as a backwater in leisure developement, no top flight football club, no major entertainment venue, if you want to see your favourite pop/rock band you need to travel to Birmingham, London or dare i say it Cardiff.

Why?

yours MR.

City can't adopt the practices Blackpool use as our club is already paying individuals more than Blackpool's wage ceiling. Blackpool spent less on wages than City's financial loss, far less to gain promotion. The clubs are a polar opposite regarding the manner they are ran.

City don't have a manageable debt [check the accounts] just like many Premier League clubs don't. I have looked at the debts and it is not just some sort of debt, the sums are enormous to similar sized clubs to ourselves.

No major entertainment venue! Put it down to the council, but there are no real plans to house a major entertainment venue at Ashton Vale either in the same manner as Wembley. Steve Lansdown said it was a possibilty or similar. I could ask questions about private v public ownership if plans had gone beyond words, I won't.

The Premier League is a mess and should be an affront to people who think football goes beyond greed, Ashley Cole is an arsehole, there are arseholes throughout the Premier League, £30, 40, 50 is too much to watch arseholes kick a football and actually the Premier League is a bit shit v Germany or Spain for differing reasons. Does it make me less of a fan to think that?

OK FV i give in you can definitely have the last word.

yours MR.

if we got to the prem Lansdown would be professional enough to make sure we wouldn't financially cripple ourselves if we were to go down imo, so being in the prem for a season at least for us would be hugely beneficial financially for us

This yearning for the PL really comes down to just that, doesn't it - money!!

Even if it's a crap season and we get regularly humiliated, at least we'll have more money- after all we'll have been paying about £45 each per match to suffer it.

Oh, and a squad on 30k a week each who we don't empathise with at all and we can't get rid of on relegation. Our most local player would probably be French.

People who talk about money are thinking about football from a director's point of view - fans should just be interested in whether their team is playing as well as it can, entertaining them, and winning as often as possible, but all within the boundaries of the clubs' finances which we were promised would never be put in jeopardy again after '82.

We wouldn't see much winning football from a Bristol City team in the PL, so for me it would not be enjoyable - and I couldn't care less who's playing for the opposition.

Let the money men worry about money and making sure they don't overspend chasing the dream, the fans should just get on with supporting our team whichever division they happen to be in and hope it's an entertaining and enjoyable experience.

It DOESN'T just come down to Money. Blackpool are 10th in the Prem and by all accounts Ollie's salary is tiny and they have a lower wage bill than us. Landsdown should get a Bristolian down here.I don't care about his nonsensical rants his team play the most entertaining football in the Prem and he gets the most out of players. Landsdown may not like the fact that he insists on a cut of transfers if a player he targets is sold on for silly money.

Even if it's a crap season and we get regularly humiliated, at least we'll have more money- after all we'll have been paying about £45 each per match to suffer it.

Oh, and a squad on 30k a week each who we don't empathise with at all and we can't get rid of on relegation. Our most local player would probably be French.

People who talk about money are thinking about football from a director's point of view - fans should just be interested in whether their team is playing as well as it can, entertaining them, and winning as often as possible, but

all within the boundaries of the clubs' finances which we were promised would never be put in jeopardy again after '82.

We wouldn't see much winning football from a Bristol City team in the PL, so for me it would not be enjoyable - and I couldn't care less who's playing for the opposition.

Let the money men worry about money and making sure they don't overspend chasing the dream, the fans should just get on with supporting our team whichever division they happen to be in and hope it's an entertaining

and enjoyable experience.

Do you emphasise with this current squad? I bet an average wage is around 10k a week?

I want us to be the best in the world. The End. Simples.

Certainly so.

It may be because I'm so far from the action but I just can't understand the attitude of those who believe that CITY should not aspire to be the best it can be.

The thinking seems to be : -let's be successful, but not too successful lest it leads to promotion to the Premier League and then-as sure as night follows day- defeat and disaster. And anyway the EPL is tainted with foreigners and too much money.

We're better off where we are.

Me - I hope to visit England in the not-to-distant future, take my seat in the flash new Ashton Vale Stadium and watch CITY play Real Madrid in the Champion's League

But, of course, it will never happen because too many people believe it can't.

People who talk about money are thinking about football from a director's point of view - fans should just be interested in whether their team is playing as well as it can, entertaining them, and winning as often as possible, but all within the boundaries of the clubs' finances which we were promised would never be put in jeopardy again after '82.

Let the money men worry about money and making sure they don't overspend chasing the dream, the fans should just get on with supporting our team whichever division they happen to be in and hope it's an entertaining and enjoyable experience.

Yeh just support the team and have no ambition. Unbelievable.

A question for all those that dont want us to get to the premier league.

Do you want us to go down this season or the next or any other time in the future??

If the answer to that question is no , what you are basically saying is that you never want to see City involved in a promotion season ever again. I personally cant see the point in attending games if all you want to see is mediocrity evrey season.

NB (I know some dont go regularly so it wont matter as much)

I'll ask this question again as none of the anti-prem brigade have answered it yet

Do you want us to go down this season or the next or any other time in the future??

I'll ask this question again as none of the anti-prem brigade have answered it yet

Bloody hell.. nearly 36 hours since I asked this question and still no answer. Let me ask in a different way. Who would not want to wake up every week , knowing that City were going to Old Trafford , The Eimerates , Stamford Bridge , White Hart Lane?? Or going down the Gate (or Ashton Vale) to play Man City , Liverpool , Villa etc....

No... Just me then?? :surrender:

I want to see the club play the best football it can at a level it can afford. If that means no promotion or even relegation then so be it.

At present City are playing often substandard football with a wage bill the club clearly cannot sustain.

I don't enter the stadium fearing the club might actually win matches. What you are implying is perverse.

I'm not implying anything. Its a simple question. If all the people who say they dont want City in the prem, can honestly say they dont want us to go down , then they must be happy to sacrifice any future promotion seasons and be happy to stay safely in mid table in the championship forever. If they want to see City promoted ever again (and not to the prem) we have to go down. And judging by the mood on here lately , nobody wants that either.

Steve Lansdown clearly believes we can reach the Prem. That was his stated ambition almost exactly three years ago as we had that fans forum before the Palace away game and it was his stated ambition when he appointed Coppell. I can't believe that the summer signings were intended to be anything other than an investment in a squad that would have the talent and experience to reach the Prem....playing under a manager who'd been there and done it. The fact that its not worked out like that doesn't change the stated fact that a play-off and promotion challenge was the intention this year...until the wheels came off the wagon.

The wage bill is entirely under SL's control. He's spent to put us in with a chance of promotion. The fact that he's sanctioned some poor signings, lost his star managerial signing, hasn't required his managers to fill glaring gaps in the squad and hasn't shifted players who can't get in the first team doesn't equate to a lack of - as yet hopelessly unfulfilled - ambition.

I for one have no real interest in travelling the land to watch a club resigned to mediocrity. But in truth we've rarely been that sort of club...despite relative lack of success and many set backs along the way.

The reason you are not getting any sensible answers to this question is that there isn't one. I asked a similar thing earlier in the thread, to see if anyone who claimed not to want prem football was hoping and praying we would lose to Hull in the play-off final. I had no response either.

The trains of thought of those claiming that they don't want us to go up to the Prem defy logic, both football wise and financially. The worst case scenario is we could "do a Derby" ie take a few beatings, but in doing so we would have seen City compete against the best and be at least £60 million better off for our troubles.

So its a no-brainer and any of the losers who claim not to want us to get promoted are not going to come up with any sensible answers to your question. I actually think its a bit of inverted "jealousy" - the sort of attitude in "real life" equates to the type of person who goes on about someone they know who has a good job, no money worries, nice house , exotic holidays etc and then says they wouldn't want all that and are happy living in a slum without a pot to pee in. I think there is a good chance that those who don't want us to go up also want to stay at AG, its a kind of "no ambition" thing.

The reason you are not getting any sensible answers to this question is that there isn't one. I asked a similar thing earlier in the thread, to see if anyone who claimed not to want prem football was hoping and praying we would lose to Hull in the play-off final. I had no response either.

The trains of thought of those claiming that they don't want us to go up to the Prem defy logic, both football wise and financially. The worst case scenario is we could "do a Derby" ie take a few beatings, but in doing so we would have seen City compete against the best and be at least £60 million better off for our troubles.

So its a no-brainer and any of the losers who claim not to want us to get promoted are not going to come up with any sensible answers to your question. I actually think its a bit of inverted "jealousy" - the sort of attitude in "real life" equates to the type of person who goes on about someone they know who has a good job, no money worries, nice house , exotic holidays etc and then says they wouldn't want all that and are happy living in a slum without a pot to pee in. I think there is a good chance that those who don't want us to go up also want to stay at AG, its a kind of "no ambition" thing.

Thanks for a sensible response

Steve Lansdown clearly believes we can reach the Prem. That was his stated ambition almost exactly three years ago as we had that fans forum before the Palace away game and it was his stated ambition when he appointed Coppell. I can't believe that the summer signings were intended to be anything other than an investment in a squad that would have the talent and experience to reach the Prem....playing under a manager who'd been there and done it. The fact that its not worked out like that doesn't change the stated fact that a play-off and promotion challenge was the intention this year...until the wheels came off the wagon.

The wage bill is entirely under SL's control. He's spent to put us in with a chance of promotion. The fact that he's sanctioned some poor signings, lost his star managerial signing, hasn't required his managers to fill glaring gaps in the squad and hasn't shifted players who can't get in the first team doesn't equate to a lack of - as yet hopelessly unfulfilled - ambition.

I for one have no real interest in travelling the land to watch a club resigned to mediocrity. But in truth we've rarely been that sort of club...despite relative lack of success and many set backs along the way.

But is Bristol City being in the Championship 'mediocrity'?

I don't think so - without spending beyond our means history shows it is our optimum place in the league pyramid.

We've hardly ever been higher and very often lower.

SL always sets targets that are far too high, raising the expectations of the fans and leaving everybody bloody miserable and disappointed when the players aren't capable of reaching them.

Let's face it - we've got no more chance at the beginning of each season of getting promoted than 23 other teams, in fact much less chance than many who traditionally have far better backing, both in terms of support and finance..

If SL wants our performances and final position to match his ambition he'll need to get his chequebook out like never before, outspend all our rivals, and genuinely go for it.

Otherwise let's stop talking pie in the sky nonsense about Bristol City's likely finishing position and concentrate on getting a competitive City team out on the pitch that we can at least enjoy going to watch every other week.

This isn't League1 where BCFC were genuinely one of the big clubs in the division and play offs was a realistic ambition every season.- we are now one of the smaller fish in the Championship pond and bar huge investment our ambitions should reflect this.

I don't think so

SL always sets targets that are far too high, raising the expectations of the fans and leaving everybody bloody miserable and disappointed when the players aren't capable of reaching them.

I quite agree that the Championship isn't mediocrity...in the time I've been following us it represents the dizzy heights! Personally I'm not remotely unrealistic...I've had good days out in Chesterfield...York...Torquay...but I'm equally unimpressed when the club lacks ambition to do better and to offer excitement...by which I don't mean a battle against relegation. The only reason that that's where this season is ending is because the club has been badly managed and very poor use has been made of the money SL has invested. I happen to think that's down to him.

On the targets he sets...maybe they have proved unrealistic...but that needn't have been the case. The fact is that City have never been better placed than in the past couple of years to launch a campaign which might see us return to the top flight. Lansdown has pots of money. Just doesn't seem to be spending it very well.

I don't think so - without spending beyond our means history shows it is our optimum place in the league pyramid.

We've hardly ever been higher and very often lower.

Let's face it - we've got no more chance at the beginning of each season of getting promoted than 23 other teams, in fact much less chance than many who traditionally have far better backing, both in terms of support and finance..

If SL wants our performances and final position to match his ambition he'll need to get his chequebook out like never before, outspend all our rivals, and genuinely go for it.

Otherwise let's stop talking pie in the sky nonsense about Bristol City's likely finishing position and concentrate on getting a competitive City team out on the pitch that we can at least enjoy going to watch every other week.

This isn't League1 where BCFC were genuinely one of the big clubs in the division and play offs was a realistic ambition every season.- we are now one of the smaller fish in the Championship pond and bar huge investment our ambitions should reflect this.

Thats NO ambition , just settling for what you have. Aim for the moon and even if you miss you will land amongst the stars.

[quote name='Glyn Riley' timestamp='1295701452' post='1333991'

Thats NO ambition , just settling for what you have.

I said, 'bar huge investment' - quite a pivotal point that you seem to have completely overlooked. whistle.gif

How have I overlooked it? We all know to improve investment is required and SL has done it in the past and if he's serious about wanting promotion and a new stadium he will need to do so again. No investment means standing still or slipping backwards.

Archived