IGNORED

Premier League

marmite

when we were in League 1 we were desperate to get promoted to the championship so that the club could reach out for the ultimate prize of Prem football. If we had known then that we would now be struggling to survive in the Championship, and would be moaning about being outplayed, out fought, out thought, and overrun on a regular basis, would we have been so keen to go up? Moving this on logically, if we did ever reach the Prem would we be happy to be outplayed regularly, suffer heavy defeats, and probably get relegated, just to call ourselves a 'big' club? It would be great to see the top clubs playing here on a league basis but only if we can compete with them. Lets realise our level and get realistic. we are a good league 1 side at the moment and may have to prove that next year!! I urge someone to prove me wrong but my belief is fading fast. Please don't quote Blackpool and Stoke to me, I have history on my side.

I prefer the Championship as the Premier league is all about money these days and at best we would just be battling for mid table security every year or fighting for our lives to stay up whereas in the Championship anyone can win on there day and it is generally a much more exciting league.

Not bothered about it in all honesty.

It's not the holy Grail and I don't think city being a premier league club is the most important thing in the world, plus there is as many bad games in that division as there is good.

I'd rather be a championship club in profit, than a prem club in even bigger debt than we are now

I prefer the Championship as the Premier league is all about money these days and at best we would just be battling for mid table security every year or fighting for our lives to stay up whereas in the Championship anyone can win on there day and it is generally a much more exciting league.

Too true! A thread similar to this was started about 5 years ago and most people then posted they'ld be happy for City to be a strong Championship team with an occasional Cup run. City then got promoted to the Championship and came close 12 months later to getting into the Prem which caused many people to change their view. Some even complained the club could have won auto promotion by buying a few quality players. Oddly they didn't say where the funds were to come from, just described it as City being short sighted and failing to invest etc.

While i agree that the championship is a more entertaining division, i don't really see what the point is if we're not aiming to get into the top flight? I agree that its unlikely we would ever be able to aim higher than 8th or 9th, but i'm sure if we get there none of us will be hoping of a return to the 'good old days' of the 2nd division

It amazes me that any City fan would not want us to get in the Premier League. Maybe its that level of Bristolian apathy that has left us with just a few years of top flight football in our entire history.

Ther always seems to be a few fans who would turn it down (whenever this sort of thread comes around) yet I can't remember one single City fan cheering when Windass scored in the play-off final. I presume that those not wanting premier league football stopped going after a few games of that season as soon as we were established in the top 3 or 4.

Could someone who states they do not want ultimately want promotion (and yes we have a bit trouble at the moment so we have to get that sorted first) enlighten me on whether they actaully went to (or watched on TV) the play-off final hoping and praying we would lose?

I need City in the prem like a hole in the head, we are far better off in the championship.

The prem is plastic, its full of greed, and its full of billions of pounds worth of debt

Prem football NO THANKS

You must be well chuffed that we are playing shit at the moment then.

It amazes me that any City fan would not want us to get in the Premier League. Maybe its that level of Bristolian apathy that has left us with just a few years of top flight football in our entire history.

Ther always seems to be a few fans who would turn it down (whenever this sort of thread comes around) yet I can't remember one single City fan cheering when Windass scored in the play-off final. I presume that those not wanting premier league football stopped going after a few games of that season as soon as we were established in the top 3 or 4.

Could someone who states they do not want ultimately want promotion (and yes we have a bit trouble at the moment so we have to get that sorted first) enlighten me on whether they actaully went to (or watched on TV) the play-off final hoping and praying we would lose?

I think it is more that City fans would prefer us to get lucky and get there rather than go for broke and see the club be held to ransom by players/agents. No one I beleive would turn it down if it were on offer. However for a club our size, it is a dream and probably beyond a real ambition. I think being in the championship for the next 5 years should be our ambition, but the usual stuff about the size of bristol, our little bit of achievement historically, a decent chairman, 'some' decent players brings in the hype. We are where we should be, mid-low championship.

Nothing wrong with ambition and desire at all. I'm more than a glass half full person; but there is a little pinch of realism to be had also.

The club should always come out and say Play-offs are our target at start of season, especially in our 3/4th season here. Some bigger clubs do worse, some smaller clubs do better; c'est la vie

I need City in the prem like a hole in the head, we are far better off in the championship.

The prem is plastic, its full of greed, and its full of billions of pounds worth of debt

Prem football NO THANKS

Sounds no different to the Championship, but with an extra few zeroes on the end of the debts!

I prefer watching the Championship. The football seems to be played with passion for teams knocking on the door of the Plastic Prem or falling through the floor into League 1. SL has said we cannot afford to drop into L1 and even though it would be great if City got into the Prem, chances are we could come straight back down again, losing a lot of money. I would love to stay in the Championship and be a mid-table side with decent Cup runs.

Prem football NO THANKS

I can't understand your logic surely you would like to see top international players at the Gate every ever week. S****horpe Home or Chelsea Home i no which i would rather watch.

I can't understand your logic surely you would like to see top international players at the Gate every ever week. S****horpe Home or Chelsea Home i no which i would rather watch.

The point is you should not want to watch the opposition. if you want to watch Chelsea, go to the Bridge or get sky.

when we were in League 1 we were desperate to get promoted to the championship so that the club could reach out for the ultimate prize of Prem football. If we had known then that we would now be struggling to survive in the Championship, and would be moaning about being outplayed, out fought, out thought, and overrun on a regular basis, would we have been so keen to go up? Moving this on logically, if we did ever reach the Prem would we be happy to be outplayed regularly, suffer heavy defeats, and probably get relegated, just to call ourselves a 'big' club? It would be great to see the top clubs playing here on a league basis but only if we can compete with them. Lets realise our level and get realistic. we are a good league 1 side at the moment and may have to prove that next year!! I urge someone to prove me wrong but my belief is fading fast. Please don't quote Blackpool and Stoke to me, I have history on my side.

Yes! The whole point of football is to win and ultimately progress. If someone offered me promotion this season and then relegation next season I woud certainly take it, our goal surely has to be to try and reach the PL? Having said that we also need to go about things in a sensible and organised manner. Spending a shit-load trying to get there is not the answer and I'd sooner see us attempt to balance the books then spend more in an absurd bid to get there. It's all about finding the right balance but yes of course I would love to see City in the top flight as this is something I have never experienced.

Do I expect or demand it? Of course not. We don't have a divine right to go up and right now I wouldd enjoy watching an exciting young side pit their wits in the Championship. It is something I want to see though, just like I hope to see us in a proper Cup final in my lifetime, although this really is a dream!

A football club is all about winning really and by definition Premier league football is where it is at......I think Blackpool are doing a fantastic job and wish that it could be us giving it ago it the top division again one day. The premier league has many faults, it was introduced alledgedly to help the national team, clearly this was a bluff and smoke screen as its a money making machine for players and most worringly agents. The quality of football both domesticaly and internationaly has in my view proberbly got worse, certianly the "top" clubs bring in foreign talent rather than coach technical domestic players. But if we are to grow as a club and improve its got to be at least the asperation of the club even if actually getting there is a long term and distant dream. Standing still brings decline and I'm definately in no rush to watch division one football any time soon.

When we played Hull did I want us to win? Of course I did.

Did I want the result of that win to be 7-0 home defeats, players like Ronaldo diving against us to win penalties when they were already 5-0 up, dodgy decisions galore for the "big four" and the whole unpleasant circus that goes with top flight football in this country?

Not really.

I am more than happy for us to stay in The Championship for a very long time and if we do ever get to the Prem follow the lead of Burnley and Blackpool and spend wisely on fees and wages, it is the only way for a club like us.

In the meantime let's just make sure we don't go the wrong way this May......

Of course we want Premier League football..anyone who doesnt think so should be going down and watching the gas play...

The city of Bristol is the 6th largest in England, the 3rd most important in terms of commerce and Industry and at one time was one of the most important seas ports in the world.

We should have had Premier League Football years ago.

Anyone who states they are happy watching mediocre football in the bottom half of the championship every week and is happy to carry on doing so without ambitions of Premier League football at AG ( or new stadium ) is just telling plain old Porkies......:liar:

My Old gramp gave me the best bit of advice I ever had when I left amateur footy and turned pro at 19..." son....play at the best level you possibly can at football or in any other sport even if you think you are not good enough. Surround yourself with better sportsmen and you will become one too." he was absolutely right. :yes:

Prem football NO THANKS

Agree 100%. back in the 70's when we were there at least it was a more level Playing field.

Now it's just a load of hype with in all honesty a lot of very boring football.

Blackpool are getting loads of praise because they are going out to play open attractive football and fair play to them. It's so rare in that league.

I've got no desire to get in that league, infect I'm gradually falling out of love with football because of the way it's going.

There's no loyalty, no patience and the atmosphere we had in grounds in the 70's,80's and possibly the 90's has died.

My view is that if I'm seeing great pass and move football I'm happy in the championship!

Unfortunately I'm not seeing it ! There's always next season

My god am I glad were not in league one ! The teams we used to play against were utter ball bag so championship maybe as good as will get it

Agree 100%. back in the 70's when we were there at least it was a more level Playing field.

Blackpool are getting loads of praise because they are going out to play open attractive football and fair play to them. It's so rare in that league.

I've got no desire to get in that league, infect I'm gradually falling out of love with football because of the way it's going.

There's no loyalty, no patience and the atmosphere we had in grounds in the 70's,80's and possibly the 90's has died.

I too am thoroughly pi**ed off with the Prem. In my opinion it is both morally and financially corrupt and in its present state I would not want us to be part of it. What can we do to change it? Very little except perhaps cancel our Sky (which I dont have), and stop buying our kids overpriced Prem club shirts and endorsements(which I dont do either). Staying in the championship will be work enough for this present team.

Thats true to some extent but I must say its the fans that make the atmosphere for the payers to perform... you are spot on also about loyalty too in players as well as fans. Most of the teams in the divisions in the 70's had the majority of players who were long serving and loyal and didnt even think about going anywhere else to play there football unless it was a chance of transfer to a higher league.

These days the transfer window almost invites Clubs to buy and sell when many of them dont even need to.

Thats true to some extent but I must say its the fans that make the atmosphere for the payers to perform... you are spot on also about loyalty too in players as well as fans. Most of the teams in the divisions in the 70's had the majority of players who were long serving and loyal and didnt even think about going anywhere else to play there football unless it was a chance of transfer to a higher league.

These days the transfer window almost invites Clubs to buy and sell when many of them dont even need to.

I expect you are like me and knew who played for who in the 70's and 80's.

Nowdays it's a joke and players move almost weekly.

Yesterday Jermaine Easter played for Palace at Swansea, last week Jermaine Easter played for Swansea!! True. It's a farce.

To be honest, All I want at the moment is to maintain our Championship status.

After watching mediocre Middlesbrough put 4 past us, without us having a single shot on target, I fear our days are numbered..

Forget the Premier league..............we are light years away from it.

To be honest, All I want at the moment is to maintain our Championship status.

After watching mediocre Middlesbrough put 4 past us, without us having a single shot on target, I fear our days are numbered..

Forget the Premier league..............we are light years away from it.

Exactly, our best player this season is a teenager who cant get in his own Premier League side.

Anyone who says they wouldn't want to experience Premier League football at City are simply weak minded individuals. "Losers" if you will.

It is akin to pronouncing that you don't want a better job or more money because you may have to work harder or put in longer hours. Exactly the reason Bristol is a bit of a laughing stock.

Anyone who says they wouldn't want to experience Premier League football at City are simply weak minded individuals. "Losers" if you will.

It is akin to pronouncing that you don't want a

better job or more money because you may have to work harder or put in longer hours. Exactly the reason Bristol is a bit of a laughing stock.

I'm a Loser then!, but there again if you want to watch your team lose heavily most weeks then the Prem is for you.

Archived