IGNORED

Premier League

marmite

Better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all. innocent06.gif

I guess I have loved though. I was lucky enough to be a teenager iin

the days we were in the 1st division 30 odd

years ago.

4 years of enjoyment, but it was a completely different league then and not just how many £££££ you have like now.

I take your point, and how refreshing they are. But 99% of the "lesser" clubs just endure a 38 game Relegation battle nowadays.

Yeh your right but i wouldn't mind doing a West Brom going between division for a few years, i know were miles away and all i'm worried about this season is staying up, but imo anybody who don't want City in the Premier shouldn't support the club, because surely that is the dream.

There is no reason why City can't make the top flight (had two spells in the top flight already in our history) and stay there. There are about 9-10 really big clubs in England and then another 25-30 (including City) medium size clubs who can aim to make up the top flight. Smaller clubs than City have had varying Premier League runs - Bolton, Wigan, Wimbledon, Burnley, Swindle, Bradford, Coventry, Hull, QPR etc.

Watch the team lose heavily?!?!

Wigan and Fulham, who before they reached the Premier League were smaller clubs than us seem to have coped and stayed. Portsmouth when they got promoted before being financially crippled managed it as well.

Stoke who went up the same season we got to the Play Off final are doing pretty well, and Hull even stayed up for a year!

Blackpool, West Brom and Newcastle who all went up from supposedly the weakest Championship in years are also putting a decent account of themselves in.

Times have changed in my opinion where the 3 that come up go down.

I've not seen us in it but in two minds. As others have pointed out- greed, hype, self aggrandising (remember all the best or most competitive League- delete as applicable- stuff). All that is fairly negative but this season I have to say is one of the best seasons and unfashionable side such as Blackpool are doing great. WBA usually a yo-yo side have had some seriously good moments (3-2 at Emirates and 2-2 at OT from 2 down). So it's a hard one really- but on the other hand think of the prices, the atmosphere may reduce further still in the PL it is certainly the least boisterous and noisy of many top divisions across Europe compared to places such as Germany, Italy, let alone Turkey, Eastern Europe similar places.

I've not seen us in it but in two minds. As others have pointed out- greed, hype, self aggrandising (remember all the best or most competitive League- delete as applicable- stuff). All that is fairly negative but this season I have to say is one of the best seasons and unfashionable side such as Blackpool are doing great. WBA usually a yo-yo side have had some seriously good moments (3-2 at Emirates and 2-2 at OT from 2 down). So it's a hard one really- but on the other hand think of the prices, the atmosphere may reduce further still in the PL it is certainly the least boisterous and noisy of many top divisions across Europe compared to places such as Germany, Italy, let alone Turkey, Eastern Europe similar places.

I can't see how the atmosphere will reduce, full houses every week in an hopefully new 30, 000 seater stadium, the atmosphere at Blackpool-Liverpool i watched on Sky the other night was amazing, imagine Liverpool home on a Tuesday night full house surely this is the dream and what people want for the club.

I am old enough to remember when we were in the top flight and although the Prem League today is a very different beast to the old First Division in the 1970's that I witnessed (mainly due to the Sky money as has been said) the buzz of seeing how your team perform against the likes of Man U and Arsenal is something worth aspiring to - of course it is.

However, after seeing last Saturday's dire performance we are currently WAY off being good enough to compete in that division and so the only realistic prospect for progress is to avoid relegation this season, then let Millen sort out the squad in the summer and then (hopefully) push onwards and upwards next season.

Cant see the point in going if you dont want to beat the best?

It's simply about supporting your club, the division shouldn't really matter - and didn't to those of us that stayed with them in the early 80's.

What matters to me is City being in the best division where they can genuinely compete, and for me that has always been the Championship. ( Div.2)

Personally I'm not interested in the PL or pushing the boat out to constantly try and get there. I hate the hype, the ridiculous money, the fact that our City team would have to be filled with disinterested foreigners on obscene wages, and that we would take some fearful beatings and always struggle.

I don't want to see AG/AV full if half the crowd support the opposition or don't care either way who wins.

Give me 14,000 passionately committed Bristolians shouting for an attacking, entertaining City side in the Championship, preferably at AG, and I'll be quite happy.

and the wages are not obscene already in the championship? the same division were losing 10m a season in, by your logic you would be quite happy seeing us playing downs standard and asking the players for subs? Football has moved on from the 70s and will never be the same again.

As said, i want to see us playing the best each week and not being behind the likes of wigan, blackburn, bolton etc, some of us have never seen us in the top flight so to see us walking out at old trafford in a league match is something i dream and if you dont i perosnally see you as lacking ambition for Bristol City

It's simply about supporting your club, the division shouldn't really matter - and didn't to those of us that stayed with them in the early 80's.

of course it does not matter - I'd support city whatever the division we were in.

But surely we all want to see city as high as possible - thats the point surely??

Accepting mediocrity is what rovers do - whereas city has always at least aimed high and had ambition.

Promotion to the next level should be the goal of any club, otherwise why bother going out and winning games? And should it happen, financial prudence should be adopted to ensure the club doesn't kill itself upon subsequent relegation.

I'd take one season of batterings if the end result was that the money earned puts the club on a sound(er) footing for the future. And, you never know what might happen, if you can scrape a 2nd season or more, all the better.

and the wages are not obscene already in the championship? the same division were losing 10m a season in, by your logic you would be quite happy seeing us playing downs standard and asking the players for subs? Football has moved on from the 70s and will never be the same again.

As said, i want to see us playing the best each week and not being behind the likes of wigan, blackburn, bolton etc, some of us have never seen us in the top flight so to see us walking out at old trafford in a league match is something i dream and if you dont i perosnally see you as lacking ambition for Bristol City

There's being ambitious, and there's the possibility of being over ambitious.

For the last couple of seasons we've been massively overspending going for the Premier League dream and the end result is we're going backwards and everybody is downright bloody miserable. We're constantly unsettled both on the pitch and off, one crisis after another.

As a supporter for me it's all about enjoying going down to AG for the atmosphere, entertaining football, and supporting the club whatever division they may be in.

If one day that division is the PL so be it, no doubt I'd try and afford the money to be there but I'm not convinced it would be particularly enjoyable and I certainly don't crave it. I rarely watch MOTD anymore, just not interested in the PL, especially not it's 4 or 5 dominant teams.

BTW, I have seen City at OT - it was crap, we lost easily, there were about 300 of us City fans there. Oh, and we got sussed outside the ground, attacked, and literally had to run for our lives. Fantastic.doh.gif

Less likely these days to get attacked perhaps, but imo the likelihood of City being absolutely hammered on the pitch would be very high - not my idea of an enjoyable away match supporting Bristol City.

of course it does not matter - I'd support city whatever the division we were in.

But surely we all want to see city as high as possible - thats the point surely??

Accepting mediocrity is what rovers do - whereas city has always at least aimed high and had ambition.

Look Riaz, City were in the 2nd division when I started supporting them,

After a few years we earnt promotion and that achievement was fantastic. We didn't break the bank to get there though. After that I can remember about half a dozen or so really memorable games in the 4 seasons in the 1st - many of them were draws or home defeats against the likes of Ipswich, QPR and Leicester in front of 18,000.

As high as we can possibly be? Well our natural place is probably just a bit higher than we are now, higher mid table div.2.

Anything else is risky, we have neither the support or the money.

I can't see how the atmosphere will reduce, full houses every week in an hopefully new 30, 000 seater stadium, the atmosphere at Blackpool-Liverpool i watched on Sky the other night was amazing, imagine Liverpool home on a Tuesday night full house surely this is the dream and what people want for the club.

Perhaps it would then, but certainly in relative terms as a whole PL atmosphere lags behind those Leagues I listed. Prawn sandwich brigade. Look at OT or Emirates, 76k and 60k respectively but atmosphere rarely reflects this. Maybe the noisier fans would be priced out? Sure you may well have a season or two where it is outstanding but in a European, let alone a South American context our grounds are pretty quiet.

What matters to me is City being in the best division where they can genuinely compete, and for me that has always been the Championship. ( Div.2)

Personally I'm not interested in the PL or pushing the boat out to constantly try and get there. I hate the hype, the ridiculous money, the fact that our City team would have to be filled with disinterested foreigners on obscene wages, and that we would take some fearful beatings and always struggle.

I don't want to see AG/AV full if half the crowd support the opposition or don't care either way who wins.

Give me 14,000 passionately committed Bristolians shouting for an attacking, entertaining City side in the Championship, preferably at AG, and I'll be quite happy.

My feelings exactly. I enjoyed seeing City in the First Division when the League consisted of 92 clubs in four divisions, but the Prem is NOT simply Division1 renamed. In the 70's & 80's Watford, Ipswich & Soton all managed to finish 2nd inDiv 1, there's no way a smallclub could be 2nd in the Prem. 1989 Norwich reached the FA Cup semi final and finished 4th in the League, no chance of that these days.

Truly cannot believe that a lot of fans want to stay in the championship to be fair i am stunned, the clubs aims should be to get the new stadium built to attract more support, increase matchday revenue, improve the quality on the pitch and push for promotion, do people really want to stay in this division, do some really wish they had stayed in League 1, even two seasons in the premier can change the financial structure of any team if it is managed correctly, watch how cautious blackpool are, they are managing the extra revenue properly.

Forget the Leeds,Norwich, Sheff Weds of this world who have been up there and completely screwed up through being over ambitious or rank mis-management, Lansdown will not let that happen he is a shrewd business man.

The fans need to as ambitious as the chairman is, he wants stability in this division and then to push on to the premier and as a football club all involved must be of the same mind, this IS a big city and it does deserve a top flight team.

If there is one reservation about the premier it would be the lack of Saturday afternoon football, lots of games are played to suit the TV companies, but not that great a loss to see City playing at the highest level.

yours MR.

A question for all those that dont want us to get to the premier league.

Do you want us to go down this season or the next or any other time in the future??

If the answer to that question is no , what you are basically saying is that you never want to see City involved in a promotion season ever again. I personally cant see the point in attending games if all you want to see is mediocrity evrey season.

NB (I know some dont go regularly so it wont matter as much)

Truly cannot believe that a lot of fans want to stay in the championship to be fair i am stunned, the clubs aims should be to get the new stadium built to attract more support, increase matchday revenue, improve the quality on the pitch and push for promotion, do people really want to stay in this division, do some really wish they had stayed in League 1, even two seasons in the premier can change the financial structure of any team if it is managed correctly, watch how cautious blackpool are, they are managing the extra revenue properly.

Forget the Leeds,Norwich, Sheff Weds of this world who have been up there and completely screwed up through being over ambitious or rank mis-management, Lansdown will not let that happen he is a shrewd business man.

The fans need to as ambitious as the chairman is, he wants stability in this division and then to push on to the premier and as a football club all involved must be of the same mind, this IS a big city and it does deserve a top flight team.

If there is one reservation about the premier it would be the lack of Saturday afternoon football, lots of games are played to suit the TV companies, but not that great a loss to see City playing at the highest level.

yours MR.

Totally agree, the problem with this City and some people on here no ambition, it not just the football in this City, its the same with music arena Etc., how people would rather watch City playing the likes of S****horpe & Doncaster over Chelsea & Arsenal is beyond believe. Ok were in deep debt at the moment but one season in the Prem, do a Burnley don't bankrupt the club to stay up, all debts would be wiped, yes it would most probably mean relagation after one season but that would put us in a better financial position than just finishing in the top ten of the championship every year.

I'm amazed there is even a debate here. Those people who allegedly don't want to be promoted because the Premier League is characterless and driven by greed need to take a step back from their cliched 'football isn't what it used to be' stance, realise that the league system is Af the heart of football as know it, and accept that times are changing whether we like it or not.

yours MR.

Blackpool are not an example of the business model to follow as they operated within their means or close to it to gain promotion, Bristol City FC are not even close.

The list of clubs who screwed up goes well beyond Leeds, Norwich, Sheff Weds, far further.

Steve Gibson is a shrewd businessmen and his clubs debts far exceed Bristol City's, his bank rolling of Boro far exceeds Steve Lansdown's in a relatively new stadium, as for the Riverside the atmosphere is notoriously poor and the clubs attendances are in free fall.

Surely if you think Ashton Vale may be more than crap and the Premier League might not be all that at a price you can ill afford doesn't make you a lesser fan?

I don't enter the stadium willing the club to lose.

Archived