IGNORED

The Mysterious Case Of Nicky Maynard...

SimplyRed

Maynard has been out all season with a 'knee injury'.

As far as I can tell, this happened in early July, so that's nearly 6 months - for a 'knee injury'? Players with broken legs have come back quicker than that!

The confounding thing is, the club seems very reluctant to report on his progress, or how close he is to the first team, or whether he's even training yet!

Does anyone know what the issue is here or have any info on his progress?

The knee is actually one of the most complicated part of the body and one of the worst places to get injured. Unfortunately looks like it's setting Maynard back longer than was hoped for. Sometimes these kind of problems keep reoccurring and it's could majorly disrupt his career.

I reckon we'll hear something again soon though because he was originally said to be back around about now in reserve games and proper fitness training.

He was in teh training ground gallery posted on teh main website yesterday. He looked to be just running on his own, not training with the rest of the team. At least a few weeks of ball work before he has a reserve game i would think.

Millen did say he wouldnt be rushed a few weeks ago, no need as Brett and Steady were doing well.

Last thing anyone wants is to bring him back to early and regret it.

working on fitness at the moment so he wouldn't of taken part in any ball training,

Just because your fit to train doesn't mean your fit to play a match we were told just before he went under the knife that he wouldn't feature until the end of jan at least that was from the physio and surgen,

Maynard thought he'd been back earlier but City have been careful with him,

If he'd come back too early and was out for a long time again alah owen hargreaves then there would be up roar here,

He's fit when the manager and training/medical staff say he's fit not before

I am really starting to get worried about the statements coming out of the club concerning injuries, its happened with other players this season as-well, one minute there out for two weeks then its six, Fontaine needed a operation then didn't, but Caulker goes back to Spurs scan done, damage found fine for the Saturday.

He's had knee injuries before so there's more reason than usual to be extra-careful. Hopefully all will be well but there's always the possibility that he'll never attain the same level again, or that it will take a long time.

I agree. Think of Steve Brooker. Great player but permanently injured when his knees started to play up.

Maynard has been out all season with a 'knee injury'.

As far as I can tell, this happened in early July, so that's nearly 6 months - for a 'knee injury'? Players with broken legs have come back quicker than that!

The confounding thing is, the club seems very reluctant to report on his progress, or how close he is to the first team, or whether he's even training yet!

Does anyone know what the issue is here or have any info on his progress?

I dont think its unusual that a knee injury can take 6 months to recover from.

But I agree - it is rather worrying - the club told us he was hoping to be involved about a month ago.

I agree. Think of Steve Brooker. Great player but permanently injured when his knees started to play up.

Even worse, although I hope Im wrong, but think of Paul Cheesley.

I think we should all stop panicking. Firstly, as someone else put, the knee is very complex, and in football, is probally the worst place you can get an inury. If Nicky is rushed back, it could not only ruin his career, it could cripple him.....full stop.

Secondly, the reason Im glad he is not being rushed, is we are not missing him that much. Maynard coming back will solve nothing, as Stead and pitman are doing good jobs.

Having Maynard back will be great, but will solve nothing

No need to worry about City missing Maynard. When they get the service Stead and Pitman do a decent job and even a fully fit Maynard would not automatically replace one of them.

If there is a worry about Maynard it stemmed from a post from a while back suggesting that Maynard was finished. I can't remember who the author was but at the time it caused anxiety levels to rise.

The longer Maynard stays out the more people will suspect that maybe that thread was accurate, especially with no updates coming from the club about the state of his recovery.

In part I think the confusion is Nicky's fault not on purpose, he said he wanted to be back before christmas.Where as Millen and co were saying Jan at least really and this was before frozen pitches (obviously stupid to start running on frozen pitches with a recoverying knee!). but then he probaly couldn't do much at all considering how bad the weather is so I'm just guessing only starting running again at start of Jan . Then ball training then reserves full fitness etc.. so I random guess back Feb/March? I'd be happy enough to see him last few months of the season fingers crossed.

No need to worry about City missing Maynard. When they get the service Stead and Pitman do a decent job and even a fully fit Maynard would not automatically replace one of them.

If there is a worry about Maynard it stemmed from a post from a while back suggesting that Maynard was finished. I can't remember who the author was but at the time it caused anxiety levels to rise.

The longer Maynard stays out the more people will suspect that maybe that thread was accurate, especially with no updates coming from the club about the state of his recovery.

I'm not convinced that Stead and Pitman do the job that Maynard is capable of. Maynard can receive the ball to feet with his back to goal and still create a chance for himself - not something I would envisage Stead or Pitman doing as they are more inclined to chase through-balls or balls in the channels behind the defence.

Personally, I think we have missed Maynard's opportunism very badly and is one of the reasons we are in the position we are. How many chances have we missed when on top of the game recently? For me, Maynard is the striker of choice (if he can reach the levels he did before his injury).

we have missed maynard those suggesting otherwise are silly,

Nicky scored 20 goals in a team where the highest assist was 4 last season, in a team where many said we didn't have any creativeness going forward,

Nicky out of those 20 goals prolly made 18 of them himself, him with good service would get 30 goals in this league and to be honest when fit should be the first name on the teamsheet, whether thats with stead and pitman or just one of them,

the club have made a few statments on nicky and frankly we don't need to be updated every 5 minutes about it,

There pictures of the first team training on the website which show maynard running (and looking knackered) so he can't be that far away from a reserve game,

I'm not convinced that Stead and Pitman do the job that Maynard is capable of. Maynard can receive the ball to feet with his back to goal and still create a chance for himself - not something I would envisage Stead or Pitman doing as they are more inclined to chase through-balls or balls in the channels behind the defence.

Personally, I think we have missed Maynard's opportunism very badly and is one of the reasons we are in the position we are. How many chances have we missed when on top of the game recently? For me, Maynard is the striker of choice (if he can reach the levels he did before his injury).

so harsh to say that he would of scored so many, so many times we have players who have scored loads one season and next next to nothing although I do agree Maynard is pure quality but I think our football has improved a little since maynard being injured in the way we create chaces though still obviously in such bad need of creativity in midfield this needs to be solved not just Maynard being fit!

"""still obviously in such bad need of creativity in midfield this needs to be solved not just Maynard being fit""

And thats the point I didn't make!

Maynard has the ability to score goals out of nothing. Those he scored against N'castle at AG and at Cardiff and QPR were brilliant individual efforts, but even he went through periods of several consequetive games without scoring despite having Hartley in midfield. Had Albert been playing for us last season Maynard would definately have scored more.

Even with Hartley pulling the strings last season City still lacked creativity and now lack even less without him. A replacement for the bearded one is top priority.

"""still obviously in such bad need of creativity in midfield this needs to be solved not just Maynard being fit""

And thats the point I didn't make!

Maynard has the ability to score goals out of nothing. Those he scored against N'castle at AG and at Cardiff and QPR were brilliant individual efforts, but even he went through periods of several consequetive games without scoring despite having Hartley in midfield. Had Albert been playing for us last season Maynard would definately have scored more.

Even with Hartley pulling the strings last season City still lacked creativity and now lack even less without him. A replacement for the bearded one is top priority.

What strings? Why people thought he was good is beyond me, very dissapointing for a player that had played at champions league level. Very overrated by loads of fans on here!

What strings? Why people thought he was good is beyond me, very dissapointing for a player that had played at champions league level. Very overrated by loads of fans on here!

Hartley was the best midfield player we had at the club by a country mile. How you can state he was overrated is mystifying. The fact we are struggling for midfield creativity now, is testament to his influence and what we are lacking now.

He wasn't the quickest or most flamboyant of players or a creative genius, but his presence and influence in midfield was unmistakable and he directed operations in front of him with aplomb. What is more mystifying is that some fans rate Johnson as an equal when, in reality, Johnson isn't fit to clean his boots.

Hartley was the best midfield player we had at the club by a country mile. How you can state he was overrated is mystifying. The fact we are struggling for midfield creativity now, is testament to his influence and what we are lacking now.

He wasn't the quickest or most flamboyant of players or a creative genius, but his presence and influence in midfield was unmistakable and he directed operations in front of him with aplomb. What is more mystifying is that some fans rate Johnson as an equal when, in reality, Johnson isn't fit to clean his boots.

Whilst Paul Hartley is clearly the better player - he is so over-rated its unreal. 5 or 6 very good games - the rest he was very average.

We need to sign someone better than paul hartley IMO.

Archived