IGNORED

Horror Tackles

II Wurzel II

One of the first games I saw was City v Middlesbro - Gerry Sharpe - nickname Twiggy - had his leg broken on the half way line.

The whole stadium was almost silent just as the tackle went in and you could hear the crack of the bone.

I dont think he ever played again.

The guy who did it was Eric McMordie. Sharpe did return but was never the same player again.

Apparantly its a major knee injury which could end his career !!

just watched it again ,its a clash of knees.Muscat had his eyes on the ball,bad tackle yes,horror tackle no[only my opinion].

Worsed attempted tackle ive seen was by a gashead on Gerry Sharpe,tried to take him knee high[it might of been neck high]completely missed, crashed into the advertising board and broke his own leg I believe.I was only young at the time so cant recall the gas players name.Anyone remember this or is my memory not what it was.

One of the first games I saw was City v Middlesbro - Gerry Sharpe - nickname Twiggy - had his leg broken on the half way line.

The whole stadium was almost silent just as the tackle went in and you could hear the crack of the bone.

No that was his last game, but still remember the sound of that break.

But the one tackle that peeved me off, was when Shilton came out to catch the ball from a corner, leading with his foot miles high and bringing it down on Cheesleys knee as he went up for the ball.

Also ending Pauls career.

Tackle that broke Dani Rodrigues' leg when we had him on loan from Southampton. I think it was against Reading at home? Although he played a couple of times for Bournemouth after that it basically ended his career and he had a lot of talent!

A lot of talent that kid. His warm ups were worth admission alone.

Will always remember Scott Brown breaking his leg in front of the Ateyo- Don't think it was a horror tackle... I can still hear the snap now!

wasnt that where odejayi went for a shot as brown went for the ball and they collided, agree though, i was sat in the williams and heard the crack, i was hoping it was his shin pad but i knew it wasnt.

No that was his last game, but still remember the sound of that break.

But the one tackle that peeved me off, was when Shilton came out to catch the ball from a corner, leading with his foot miles high and bringing it down on Cheesleys knee as he went up for the ball.

Also ending Pauls career.

Never forgave Shilton for that challenge on Cheesley. An overrated keeper IMO - how the **** he got beat in the air by the Argentinan dwarf I'll never know!

wasnt that where odejayi went for a shot as brown went for the ball and they collided, agree though, i was sat in the williams and heard the crack, i was hoping it was his shin pad but i knew it wasnt.

Yeah, no malice in it.. Am I right in saying that was his last game for us?

Tackle that broke Dani Rodrigues' leg when we had him on loan from Southampton. I think it was against Reading at home? Although he played a couple of times for Bournemouth after that it basically ended his career and he had a lot of talent!

That tackle was awful, the offender didn't even get a yellow card.

I remember turning up for that game and being so excited about seeing Rodrigues, I thought we had a real talent, lightning fast, great touch, trick or two up his sleeve and he could convert his chances, that tackle ruined him, what a shame.

That tackle was awful, the offender didn't even get a yellow card.

I remember turning up for that game and being so excited about seeing Rodrigues, I thought we had a real talent, lightning fast, great touch, trick or two up his sleeve and he could convert his chances, that tackle ruined him, what a shame.

He was a real rough diamond...really set my pulse racing when he got the ball.

Terrible injuries though...two broken ankles and a ruptured ACL...and he's still playing football although it Greek Cypriot div 2.

Yes must admit I was there as well and yes you are absolutely right the crack was heard like a gun shot all round the ground?

Probably the most DISTURBING memory of 45 years of going down to Ashton.

Archived