IGNORED

Backs To The Wall Mentality...

spudski

...or has apathy set in?

From reading a lot of posts on here and speaking to fellow fans, there seems to be a very apathetic feeling about our Club.

Instead of a 'Backs to the wall mentality' and a 'we can get out of this' feeling, many it seems, have lost complete faith and feel dissulusioned and let down by the Club.

Most fans are passionate about our Club, and want the best for it. We wouldn't be on here for a start if we weren't.

However...most i feel are sensible enough to realise, that it's too late in the day to bring a new manager that would make a difference, and that we have to dig deep with the squad, coaches, manager and a few loans if we can get them, to keep from going down. Unfortunately, i think our destiny could also be reliant on results from what other teams below us achieve.

The biggest worry from what i can see, is that the Club are starting to lose the support of the fans. Talk of not renewing season tickets, can't be arsed to go anymore, too expensive, not entertaining...are all frequent comments i hear.

I think a lot of this boils down to what we see in performance and heart from the players on the pitch. Also from what our manager says, and also from the quietness of SL. It all really is starting to have a knock on effect.

I remember the dark days of the early and mid 80's, and they were blooming gloomy days, but never have i felt a fanbase so dissulusioned with the Club, players or management, as i do today.

I really can see us going down without a whimper, unless there is some big rallying call from the Club. If ever this Club needed SL to come forward, be straight with the fans, tell it like it is, then no more so than right now.

I'm sure if some kind of rallying call can be made, the fans would start to roll up their sleeves, get down the Gate and create an intimadating atmosphere again and hopefully spur the lads on.

Even when we were under Benny, and we knew we were doomed, we still went down fighting.

Hopefully, this time we can stay up, but it ain't looking good.

Any thoughts?

I think what the main issue is, us as fans can get up for every game, get the back to the wall mentality, tell everyone were not going to take any crap.

Then the football starts, and after 10 minutes or so you see the players dont seem to care (if they do or not, i dont know). Then the fans start to think, whats the point in all this they are getting paid £000's a week and they dont even look like they care.

Was it Ade and Greg Goodgridge who had the tops saying "Stick with us and we'll stick with you" or someting along those lines. Can you see any of the players doing that now, see skuse the captain running along the dolman trying to get the fans going, or pitman doing a rousing speech to the fans before the game.

Only time will tell if the players have the mentality, let alone the fans.

It's not exactly great, I mean it's easy to see why a lot of people are not coming to watch! Last night for instance it was more a case of going out lof loyalty than to see an entertaining game. I expected nothing from the game and we really did get nothing, I can remember no more than 2 or 3 shots. I wouldn't be surprised if ST sales dropped and many POTD fans that come down the Gate to watch an exciting game of football probably haven't been of late. (Although of course that could be said of the previous 2 seasons as well where the standard of football was not only poor but excruicatingly dull.)

My problem with our present plight is all we are hearing are excuses and more excuses.

GJ left us with crap, SC left us in the shit, should'nt have allowed Hartley to leave, Maynard is injured, major injuries, the christmas period is too busy, the january window is difficult. Well guess what it's called football it's what we all signed up for and many clubs are going through the same and worse up and down the country.

I see today Millen whingeing about the lack of firepower, in a week when he sold Haynes, not a great striker I agree but certainly much better than Clarkson, you could'nt make it up.

...or has apathy set in?

From reading a lot of posts on here and speaking to fellow fans, there seems to be a very apathetic feeling about our Club.

Instead of a 'Backs to the wall mentality' and a 'we can get out of this' feeling, many it seems, have lost complete faith and feel dissulusioned and let down by the Club.

Most fans are passionate about our Club, and want the best for it. We wouldn't be on here for a start if we weren't.

However...most i feel are sensible enough to realise, that it's too late in the day to bring a new manager that would make a difference, and that we have to dig deep with the squad, coaches, manager and a few loans if we can get them, to keep from going down. Unfortunately, i think our destiny could also be reliant on results from what other teams below us achieve.

The biggest worry from what i can see, is that the Club are starting to lose the support of the fans. Talk of not renewing season tickets, can't be arsed to go anymore, too expensive, not entertaining...are all frequent comments i hear.

I think a lot of this boils down to what we see in performance and heart from the players on the pitch. Also from what our manager says, and also from the quietness of SL. It all really is starting to have a knock on effect.

I remember the dark days of the early and mid 80's, and they were blooming gloomy days, but never have i felt a fanbase so dissulusioned with the Club, players or management, as i do today.

I really can see us going down without a whimper, unless there is some big rallying call from the Club. If ever this Club needed SL to come forward, be straight with the fans, tell it like it is, then no more so than right now.

I'm sure if some kind of rallying call can be made, the fans would start to roll up their sleeves, get down the Gate and create an intimadating atmosphere again and hopefully spur the lads on.

Even when we were under Benny, and we knew we were doomed, we still went down fighting.

Hopefully, this time we can stay up, but it ain't looking good.

Any thoughts?

I agree with most of what you say. It seems that the football supporter of 2011 is a different bread to 20years ago.

They all seem to want instant success nowdays imo.

Sometimes we just have to accept that we arent as good as we would like us to be, instead of all this "hes a shit player" and "sack the manager" etc..

I think we are good enough to be a mid table Championship side at least and i am happy with that, but a lot of City fans think we should be in the top 6 challenging for promotion.

Only 3 teams in this division can have whats regarded as success this season and 3 obviously go down. The other 18 just go for it next season, i'm confident we are one of the 18 and i say this because when everyone is fit we can beat anyone in this division.

Yes its doom and gloom at the moment, but come Swansea and especially Leeds i'm sure the crowd will be 100% behind the team.

For a lot of the newer breed of City fans, this season and last is probably a reality check, but it seems a lot cant handle it.

Give me the 6.000 hardcore support back in the early 80,s over this lot in 2011 every time.

We knew how to support the club in those days :yes: and we put up with far more shit than the current lot are having to :yes: .

My problem with our present plight is all we are hearing are excuses and more excuses.

GJ left us with crap, SC left us in the shit, should'nt have allowed Hartley to leave, Maynard is injured, major injuries, the christmas period is too busy, the january window is difficult. Well guess what it's called football it's what we all signed up for and many clubs are going through the same and worse up and down the country.

I see today Millen whingeing about the lack of firepower, in a week when he sold Haynes, not a great striker I agree but certainly much better than Clarkson, you could'nt make it up.

How many more ****** times. Haynes WANTED TO GO, for the hard of thinking. Millen said he wasn't happy on or off the pitch. Nobody wants Clarkson, we can't get rid if no one wants him it's not hard to understand is it? What i do agree with you about is gj bought all these players not good enough for the Championship. So now we're stuck with them until their contracts run out,or let them go on a free.

How many more ****** times. Haynes WANTED TO GO, for the hard of thinking. Millen said he wasn't happy on or off the pitch. Nobody wants Clarkson, we can't get rid if no one wants him it's not hard to understand is it? What i do agree with you about is gj bought all these players not good enough for the Championship. So now we're stuck with them until their contracts run out,or let them go on a free.

who said he wanted to go? ... Millen?... arghhh there you go, must be 100% correct then. Phew, that was definitely not hard to think through.

I agree with most of what you say. It seems that the football supporter of 2011 is a different bread to 20years ago.

They all seem to want instant success nowdays imo.

Sometimes we just have to accept that we arent as good as we would like us to be, instead of all this "hes a shit player" and "sack the manager" etc..

I think we are good enough to be a mid table Championship side at least and i am happy with that, but a lot of City fans think we should be in the top 6 challenging for promotion.

Only 3 teams in this division can have whats regarded as success this season and 3 obviously go down. The other 18 just go for it next season, i'm confident we are one of the 18 and i say this because when everyone is fit we can beat anyone in this division.

Yes its doom and gloom at the moment, but come Swansea and especially Leeds i'm sure the crowd will be 100% behind the team.

For a lot of the newer breed of City fans, this season and last is probably a reality check, but it seems a lot cant handle it.

Give me the 6.000 hardcore support back in the early 80,s over this lot in 2011 every time.

We knew how to support the club in those days :yes: and we put up with far more shit than the current lot are having to :yes: .

You make some very well made and valid points, but remember a couple of other points. The club always needs to foster new younger support that is how the club will survive and many of the current crop of young supporters came on board in the promotion and play off season (when it was fun and heady times). Also back in the 80's especially given our financial circumstances at that time our players were being paid peanuts in fact some of them could have earned more outside of football and some did both, they were approachable always ready to drink and talk to the fans. Nowadays the players are aloof, could'nt care about the fans, the club and only interested in their bank accounts, cars and property and in these times where most of us are facing hard times they are not facing the same hard times, so some people find it hard to give 100% support to people who can't be bothered to give 100% back.

But to me the most worrying aspect of our current plight is there is absolutely nothing worth raving about coming through our academy, where as most of our rivals do have such players already in their squads.

And theres me thinking we stuffed Cardiff 3-0 only 3 weeks ago!

Wasnt it about this time last year we got beaten by the same side 0-6

:rolleyes:

Blimey, you still wheeling that old chestnut out.

Well, one game comparision doth not make a season. lets see if we can finish anywhere near 10th this time around shall we, same man in charge with a lot of his nice shiny new signings on board.

Give me a link to this info. Actually don't bother just read all the threads on the official site and nowhere does it say Haynes WANTED TO GO!

A club can also say no to a player still under contract, like Blackpool with Adam or as with Harley the player can say no (to get a better deal).

who said he wanted to go? ... Millen?... arghhh there you go, must be 100% correct then. Phew, that was definitely not hard to think through.

I thought it was common knowledge that Haynes wanted out, and after listening to a caller on Twentyman's show last week it was clear that he had to go.

This caller saw him after a recent game come out on the pitch for a warm down with the other subs He refused to take part then threw a ball at one of the coaches and stormed down the tunnel again.

Give me a link to this info.

A club can also say no to a player still under contract, like Blackpool with Adam or as with Harley the player can say no (to get a better deal).

I just don't understand why Millen just doesn't send the team out to win the game. Yes the defence needs sorting but if we press the ball work hard and actually try attacking a team we might actually create something ESPECIALLY AT HOME!!!.

Look at Cardiff at home, we did everything against them which has made us a good team over the last 3 or 4 seasons. Work rate, pressing the ball, tackling, passing the ball on the floor, getting the wide men involved and keeping their chances down to a minimum due to the constant pressure we put them under. Get Adomah upfront with Pitman untill maynard is fit, get clarkson out and put sproule out wide and have a go!! If we are going down id rather do it giving 100% and doing everything we can to win rather than just waiting for our luck to turn! You never know it might actually start entertaining the fans at Ashton Gate for once!

I thought it was common knowledge that Haynes wanted out, and after listening to a caller on Twentyman's show last week it was clear that he had to go.

This caller saw him after a recent game come out on the pitch for a warm down with the other subs He refused to take part then threw a ball at one of the coaches and stormed down the tunnel again.

impeccable source must be true then, perhaps he was being bullied.

Blimey, you still wheeling that old chestnut out.

Well, one game comparision doth not make a season. lets see if we can finish anywhere near 10th this time around shall we, same man in charge with a lot of his nice shiny new signings on board.

So its bad of me to state that City beat Cardiff 3-0 only 3 weeks ago is it. A City forum but City fans dont like to be reminded of it :dunno: .

F'n crackers this forum sometimes.

Perhaps he had diahorrea.

So its bad of me to state that City beat Cardiff 3-0 only 3 weeks ago is it. A City forum but City fans dont like to be reminded of it :dunno: .

F'n crackers this forum sometimes.

I love it when you remind us just not in the context that everything is hunky dory and, by definition, suggesting this season is a whole lot better than last.. which, clearly, is wide of the mark.

Orrrr, go on, i am sure you do really.

Not really. its got to the stage where i wonder if were supporting the same club.

Theres mostly negative crap on this forum nowdays.

I will be there whatever, its a part of my life, was there when we were 92 nd in the league and i can sure handle 17th in the Championship.

Unlike others :whistle2:

I'm off to work now, its a bit more cheerfull in there, never thought i would state that.

It's not the way the club feels at all ................It's just the contributors on here...

Dont think that the club or the majority of supporters feel the same as posters on this forum coz they dont

The forum is a microworld ....and the people who post loudest are a tiny tiny tiny part of that microworld - neither "IT" or they are a true reflection.......

As for excuses.....I dont hear any excuses from Millen about what he has been left to contend with........SL yes but not KM..............from what he says in the media it appears to me he thinks & sees exactly the same as we do ...more so than any previous manager if you ask me - he knows whats needed and I reckon over the next couple of years he will mould a very strong squad.....we need to be patient and accept that Rome wernt built in a gert Day

It's not the way the club feels at all ................It's just the contributors on here...

Dont think that the club or the majority of supporters feel the same as posters on this forum coz they dont

The forum is a microworld ....and the people who post loudest are a tiny tiny tiny part of that microworld - neither "IT" or they are a true reflection.......

As for excuses.....I dont hear any excuses from Millen about what he has been left to contend with........SL yes but not KM..............from what he says in the media it appears to me he thinks & sees exactly the same as we do ...more so than any previous manager if you ask me - he knows whats needed and I reckon over the next couple of years he will mould a very strong squad.....we need to be patient and accept that Rome wernt built in a gert Day

Very good and honest post, the problem this season is that the anti GJ brigade have now become the pro-Millen militia and defend that position at any cost however slim and they as you can see from virtually every post on this and other threads will not enter into the debate, their tactic is to just stifle the debate with abuse at non believers and that is what is causing all of the antagonism on this forum.

As SB City said on another post, we don't win for 6 games get a result and straight we get 'who wants Millen sacked now threads' and then another 4, 5 or 6 games without a win and as soon as we win one straight away again it starts again.

Apart from a few I can't see many people thinking (including me) believing Millen should be sacked now, but we are entitled to a meaningful debate about it and not just threats and abuse and not have that debate stifled from the start.

Not really. its got to the stage where i wonder if were supporting the same club.

Theres mostly negative crap on this forum nowdays.

I will be there whatever, its a part of my life, was there when we were 92 nd in the league and i can sure handle 17th in the Championship.

Unlike others :whistle2:

I'm off to work now, its a bit more cheerfull in there, never thought i would state that.

So was I as it happens; you don't have the monopoly on supporting BCFC through the lean times buddy, let me assure you of that. I was following city home and away for many seasons during those dire dark days of the eighties.

We are definitely supporting the same club, we just have different views on the management and that is no bad thing. As for the negative view; well, thats not exactly a surprise now is it?; we have gone from one of the promotion favourites to relegation potentials in the space of 6 months. That's gonna get even the hardest die hards looking in their beer for inspiration.

Archived