IGNORED

We Should Feel Sorry For Millen

Robbored

Fans can complain and blame Millen for this current poor run of form all they want but just have a think about how Swansea played tonight. Every player was comfortable on the ball, they all passed and moved almost as well as Arsenal do and City just coudn't get the ball off them. When City did eventually get the ball they gave it away either with a hopeless punt up the pitch or poor pass.

The Jacks were playing Spanish style football under Martinez 5 years ago and then under Sousa. Most of the players are ingrained and very comfortable with that style and it showed tonight. City on the other hand haven't played that style of football for as long as I can remember and are still playing a style based on hard work and counter attacking. Thats not enough in the Championship.

Millen has inherited players that are incapable of playing a more sophisticated style. None of our players would get into the Swansea team which just about somes up the gulf in class.

A change of manager now would simply makes things worse. Not even Arsene Wenger could get much more than out of this sorry bunch of players. Millen has a tough job on his hands given the lack of real quality he has at his disposal but he managed to turn it around after a dreadfull start to the season and will do it again. Over the summer he has to start re-building.

This pro-Millen optimism is both deluded and tired now. He did inherit a squad, but has just gone through 31 days where he could sort something out and used the single last day to do anything. He knew full well what the situation was when he took over. It wasn't his team and he inherited it because he wasn't 1st choice. Performances and results are sorry and KM looks disinterested. Pathetic.

Fans can complain and blame Millen for this current poor run of form all they want but just have a think about how Swansea played tonight. Every player was comfortable on the ball, they all passed and moved almost as well as Arsenal do and City just coudn't get the ball off them. When City did eventually get the ball they gave it away either with a hopeless punt up the pitch or poor pass.

The Jacks were playing Spanish style football under Martinez 5 years ago and then under Sousa. Most of the players are ingrained and very comfortable with that style and it showed tonight. City on the other hand haven't played that style of football for as long as I can remember and are still playing a style based on hard work and counter attacking. Thats not enough in the Championship.

Millen has inherited players that are incapable of playing a more sophisticated style. None of our players would get into the Swansea team which just about somes up the gulf in class.

A change of manager now would simply makes things worse. Not even Arsene Wenger could get much more than out of this sorry bunch of players. Millen has a tough job on his hands given the lack of real quality he has at his disposal but he managed to turn it around after a dreadfull start to the season and will do it again. Over the summer he has to start re-building.

he's brought in six players of his own and spent a fair bit in the process.

Millen should only get the chance to rebuild in the summer if he starts showing signs in the last 17 games that he can get the team playing better than 1 win in 10 and no goals in 5, while keeping us up at the same time.

This team should not be relegation fodder. it is better than that. But its rapidly turning into that under Millen and if we go down he has to take the blame and be removed as manager.

I'm sorry but I stopped reading halfway through. This is total and utter crap Robbored. It's another badly disguised dig at Gary Johnson and his team. Gary Johnson never had us 19th in the Championship sliding towards relegation.

We do have a poor side, but Millen should've rectified some of these problems by now. He hasn't, we're getting worse and worse and I'm sorry, I have no sympathy. He took a nice 3-year contract, he didn't have to start at the bottom and work his way up, he's earning good money and he just isn't good enough. He WILL take us down.

Millen just hasnt got the tools to be a manager.....

Millen has inherited players that are incapable of playing a more sophisticated style.

Millen has signed six players at a cost of at least 1.5 million. Let's drop this inherited nonsense. He's had the funds and some of the time needed to change things, and he was part of the setup that brought in all these players, even if you do like your revisionist versions where GJ and SC are entirely to blame.

Yes Millen's signings aren't too bad but it's not as though he's simply having to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He's had money to spend and has spent it. If he hasn't addressed the right areas, that's entirely on him.

Swansea are a one off, very classy team. We won't play a team like them again this season.

Back to reality on Saturday and the battle of this league.

We were outclassed tonight but plenty of other teams have been by Swansea.

Sometimes you just have to admit it and not find excuses.

It's not about managers, you could have swapped the managers over tonight and the result would have been the same.

One of the nicest guys i know, but i think he's really in the wrong place. Probably overcome by excitement when he was offered the job that it blinded him by the reality of how tough the job will be. Too late to go now to be fair, but would be interesting how Wigley would do by himself as caretaker..

There is nothing in Keith Millen's track record to suggest that he can lead a Championship side to success. Never was.

It's never ceased to amaze me that there are people on here who watch so much football and have so much experience of our club and yet can't see that the situation when Coppell left cried out for experience...indeed the situation when Johnson left cried out for experience.

If we lack the tools then the blame lies with the Board. They've overseen the assembly of a squad and coaching staff that can be outclassed by Swansea City. There is no way Swansea have any advantages in terms of resource, support, pulling power, contacts that Bristol City couldn't enjoy if the club was better run.

But I agree with you Robbo in that I feel for Keith. There's as yet nothing to suggest he's up to the job.

in reply to your title....no i do not feel sorry for him.......

and swansea only played that well because in first half we were clueless....once we started chasing and hunting the ball down they were rushing passes clearances and were starting to look ordinary.....unfortunately we cudnt keep it up and they weathered the storm and 2nd goal killed us!!!

Arsenal they are not, they are just very well organised which we are not......have bought players for not much money in all fairness who are hungrier motivated and playing off eachothers abilities.....you say he has inherited a squad, but the two lads in the stellar positions upfront are his signings and be honest Pitman was worse than awful tonight, keough looks comfortable on the ball and good in the air but is a direct replacement for Stead.....Millen also inherited Englands number 1 goalkeeper at the time and has bought in Caulker who has been head and shoulders our best player this season, and Albert has also been a shining light this season.....

So thats 5 players out of starting line up who he has either brought in or been very good signings that he inherited....

If this would have been a performance this time last year you would have been the 1st person on here calling for the managers head and demanding change....the fact we are now in a worse position than at that time and playing as badly as then....your continuing drivel about blaming everyone else bar our current manager is bordering on clueless!!!

We conceded our second goal tonight , from a corner , with all 11 players back defending. GJ used the same tactic so I will assume this is BCFC's preferred method of defending corners. We pull the likes of LJ and JCR back when they have little or no chance of winning balls coming in. We dont have anyone on the half waay line so even if one of our players clears the ball , it ends up coming back into our area. These are tactics our club have employed for at least 3 seasons , thats has everything to do with the coaching/managerial staff and not the players. Stop making excuses for Millen , I want him to succeed as well , but he is clearly struggling to motivate and gets shown up all too often for tactical nouse.

I'm sorry but I stopped reading halfway through. This is total and utter crap Robbored. It's another badly disguised dig at Gary Johnson and his team. Gary Johnson never had us 19th in the Championship sliding towards relegation.

We do have a poor side, but Millen should've rectified some of these problems by now. He hasn't, we're getting worse and worse and I'm sorry, I have no sympathy. He took a nice 3-year contract, he didn't have to start at the bottom and work his way up, he's earning good money and he just isn't good enough. He WILL take us down.

I agree. He's got us playing AWFUL old style Watford Whoooooooooooooooooooooooosh and hope football. Shite to watch, and in this division, any team sticking to it will get relegated, whith 18 ex Prem sides in it, who have to play football in the Prem.

Good post Robbo, I'm sure many will disagree but I agree with everything you say.

One of the nicest guys i know, but i think he's really in the wrong place. Probably overcome by excitement when he was offered the job that it blinded him by the reality of how tough the job will be. Too late to go now to be fair, but would be interesting how Wigley would do by himself as caretaker..

Pretty sh@te if his track record is anything to go by

Swansea are a one off, very classy team. We won't play a team like them again this season.

It's not about managers, you could have swapped the managers over tonight and the result would have been the same.

I heard that last tuesday almost word for word

Don't tell us, it's all Gary Johnson's fault? So it's not not KM's fault that over the last few games the players haven't tried and have given up seemingly before they have even started the game? Not a player seems to have earned the right to wear the shirt, few make passionate tackles, nobdy it pushing the boundaries and the motivation is clearly very low?

Surely even you can see that the tactics are simply awful, we've taken the cheap option in having Millen as manager and we are getting the "value" we have paid for - put simply, he's the cheap option, he has few contacts in the game, is inept with his tac-tics, lacks experience and knowledge....I could keep writing but what would it achieve?

The players are not motivated, the tac-tics are all wrong, and being honest, the football at present is amongst the worst I have ever seen at the Gate? Of course none of it is Millen's fault...?

The good news is there are also three very poor teams in the division which might mean we stay up but after giving Millen a chance, I am sorry but any previous confidence I had has now gone.

The Centre-midfielders are playing a 'get rid of the fudging ball as soon as you think you see an opening' style, they have no concept of holding up, martialling (or at least observing places for) the four people around them to open up, they're too hot on the ball and too cold off it, they aren't capable of manipulating what their opposite numbers and defenders do, they aren't feeding off what they do see on the field in order to adjust and - more importantly - they're not ironing these issues out off the field at all as we're seeing the same basic fudges every game. If we cannot adjust to the opposition's style of play, we need to do precisely what they're doing to us - try to make them play to our style.

And now that the heat is firmly on Millen (at least from hearing the Atyeo's barracking) it's clear to me that his time is running shorter by the week, warranted or not.

Presumably he had the tools when you were praising him to the skies during a good run though? How come he got the credit then but no blame now? Any manager who thinks you counter Swansea's passing game by retreating to the 18 yard line and giving them the freedom of the midfield seems to me to be open to question. Swansea's team is not full of world class players; they have simply been coached well over a period to play what is essentially a simple game. As opposed to being coached to hoof it in the general direction of the front two. When can we expect his and Wigley's much trumpeted coaching skills to become apparent I wonder?:disapointed2se:

Edit, double post.

So the result at their place was a total fluke ?

Was very disappointed with the performance tonight, especially first half. We were set up yet again in defensive mode, backing off from the outset, not for the first time this season. Must be tactical.

• Admin

Robbored, the last man standing in Millens defensive wall?

C'mon, that was bloody awful, we haven't scored for 7 and a half hours, I was right behind Keith and still back him whilst he remains Manager, but many more performances like that and he surely won't be for much longer. He did have to grasp the shitty end of the stick when Coppell bailed out, but that was over 5 months and one & a bit transfer windows ago.

Blame the players - yes, they were poor, but Millen, Johnson and other Managers have signed them to be Championship players, sadly I could cut off most of my fingers and still use the lonesome digits left to count the ones who have looked worthy of that title in the last few months (with any consistency).

We look like a team with no fight, no guile, no skill, no motivation and no place in the Chanpionship next season!!

Millen had the final games of last season, 9 or so plus he has had most of this season, so 30plus games in all.

You cannot say that he inherited this team now,

Millen by now should have what he would call "his team" with his players!

He has not got a clue so should RESIGN from this club now.

Any manager with knowledge of football could turn this squad of players into a TEAM, which sadly we dont seem to have.

No more excuses !

I disagree. I think we'd have coped fairly comfortably with the long punts forward, have to remember we started with four centrebacks. However the other manager cunningly used a form of pass and move that completely outsmarted our fella.

Millen might be a nice guy but rarely do nice guys win anything? Ask Sir Alex???

Sorry but unlike most other opposition managers who come down to the Gate he fails to seem to inspire or give direction and by the looks of him his version of the "hair dryer" is more like a quiet chat??? Just cannot see him giving a bollocking?

He may be a good coach but I am sorry to say I dont think he has it to make a number one and he desperately needs a more experienced older head to help him - NOW before its to late?

Archived