IGNORED

Would You Take Johnson Back?

Carey 6

NO NO NO.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a lot of respect for him and what he did for us. He was just what we needed when he took the job on, as we has an unfit ill-disciplined sqaud which needed a good shake-up. Overall he'll be remembered as a successful City manager and rightly so.

However come the end, it was evident that his style of managment was wearing thin and he was losing the respect of the dressing room. The squad was large, had no balance and lacked quality. He'd played about 25 stikers during his time at the club and managed to have Noble / Williams / Carle / Hartley / Sno available at various times during his reign yet none of them ever got an extended run in CENTRAL MIDFIELD in a 4-4-2 alongside either Elliott or Skuse. He and his staff also had zero influence it seemed when it came to attracting young loanees from the Premier League (unlike Wigley).

So its a no from me, but that's not to say that Millen was the right appointment either.

When Coppell came in it was on the basis that GJ had done well to get us where we were but it was time for a change. Lansdown said we needed a Manager with the calibre to turn us back into promotion contenders and challenge for the Premier League. I fail to see how Millen fits this job description.

We need to limp over the Championship survival line with Millen and then have a complete re-think in the summer in my opinion.

The Peter Principle suggests that people are promoted to the level at which they are incompetent. (My firm is a great example of this! ;) )

Johnson was a fine lower league manager, but at second tier level he didn't cut it. We had a great first season in the Champs carried forward by the momentum that promotion gave us, but then the slow decline set in, with perpetual problems unaddressed and clearly no idea how to solve them or take things forward.

Our next manager should be someone with fresh ideas, contacts and (ideally) not a bi-polar scouser. :blink:

The Peter Principle suggests that people are promoted to the level at which they are incompetent. (My firm is a great example of this! ;) )

Johnson was a fine lower league manager, but at second tier level he didn't cut it. We had a great first season in the Champs carried forward by the momentum that promotion gave us, but then the slow decline set in, with perpetual problems unaddressed and clearly no idea how to solve them or take things forward.

Our next manager should be someone with fresh ideas, contacts and (ideally) not a bi-polar scouser. :blink:

:no:

In that case what about getting Joe Jordan back (again) or even John Ward.....they both won promotion

or Alan Dicks....he did even better than a play off ...he actualy got us to top division,,,,,,and without any loanees to boot!

Alan Dicks is pushing it, but to be honest I wouldn't say no to the other two.

NO, NO, NO

GJ 'loyalty' to some players is partly why we have a collection of cr@p now. Not to mention disaster expensive signings. He was great for a while, but he has had his day here, NEVER go back.

Last night

James

Stewart

Caulker

Adomah

Pitman

Keogh

6 of the 11 starters last night none GJ signings.

Would I get GJ back? to bloody right and ship out the two players who remain from last years debacle. If SL had any sense he will of been n the phone already!

Was great for the most part, but probably best not to go back. Having said that, would it be any worse than it is now?

As for Alan Dicks, he was a great manager. However in different times I would point out the following. Looking at his early record we nearly went down from CCC under him a number of times. We built gradually- but in his tenure up until the promotion we nearly went down 2 or 3 times! I guess what I'm saying is, had the prevailing attitude have existed in his era, would he have got sacked for finishing around 18th, 19th in the Second Division!?

Yes, actually, It's funny how people have short memories and choose to focus almost exclusively on the last 6 months/year, when lets be honest we never looked as bad as we do now.

Although I don't agree in principle with the idea of managers returning, if I had to choose between him and Keith to keep us up I know who I'd rather have in charge.

Last night

James

Stewart

Caulker

Adomah

Pitman

Keogh

6 of the 11 starters last night none GJ signings.

Would I get GJ back? to bloody right and ship out the two players who remain from last years debacle. If SL had any sense he will of been n the phone already!

And bar Stewart, 5 of the better players last night.

It's the likes of Fonts, LJ, Marv and JCR who are the problem

I like Johnson too, but no I don't think bringing him back is the answer, sadly it's not as simple as that. Can you imagine, Johnson comes back and would Millen be his assistant? That's never going to work.

Johnson had faults yes, but he had positives too. The feeling of unity between him and us the fans was at times great. He was much better at PR, his interview quotes, light a candle, bounce etc worked at the time. This was of couse a daft bit of fun at best but the positives affected the players on the pitch and the bond was there.

I just don't get any feeling of a bond between us and Millen at all, he's totally different personality altogether. As a fan I can see and feel the difference, and so must the players. He is a very qualified coach, has the highest of the badges etc but that spark is missing now, if it was ever really there. I don't think he wanted the job and my gut feeling was after the Coppell mess he was strongly convinced he could do it. That has to be down to Steve Lansdown ultimately. i guess he had his reasons and who am I to question a hugely successful businessman, but hell anyway, a 3 year deal should never had been an option if Millen was the choice. I thought we had some good quality candidates for the job when Coppell was offered it? Again we went chasing a bloke who didn't appy.

We are in a mess now, and the feeling is at best low. I sit in the Dolman and even mild mannered people near me were making disgruntled noises last evening. I haven't seen such unhappy people since the hammering Cardiff gave us last season. I can honestly say if we don't see a huge improvement against preston the Leeds game will be Cardiff all over again, the result and the show of dissent.

I agree. the feeling of unity was great in the GJ years. Sod whether the football was "entertaining" the Johnson years provided some spine tingling entertainment and a wonderful experience for young fans...for all the candle and "believe" and punches when we won and bouncing reasons. GJ was a showman.

Fact is - fact - that the current regime hasn't an entertainment bone between them...dull, dull, dull. Boring monotone grey men.

sleeping.gif

But never go back. Lansdown needs someone who can spot charisma to help him pick a manager who can get the team - and the Bristol public - excited.

I agree. the feeling of unity was great in the GJ years. Sod whether the football was "entertaining" the Johnson years provided some spine tingling entertainment and a wonderful experience for young fans...for all the candle and "believe" and punches when we won and bouncing reasons. GJ was a showman.

I like this point, defnitely. The unity in that period was great, the 'Always Believe', the whole 'Bounce around the ground' and so on. I'd forgotten about the candles and punches when we won but they added to it too. There was a real buzz about the place for most of his time here.

I like this point, defnitely. The unity in that period was great, the 'Always Believe', the whole 'Bounce around the ground' and so on. I'd forgotten about the candles and punches when we won but they added to it too. There was a real buzz about the place for most of his time here.

...we still have the candles...and the t-shirt...

Some fans might want him back but the players certainly wouldn't.

OK, just going to pop you off the naughty step for just a mo....

Your comment could not possibly be made unless you know a player or players.

So could you answer me these questions - why are they not playing for Millen?......... why are they not playing for the fans or the shirt?........ do they actually care?

IF you know players you WILL be able to answer these, if not please admit your just making it up.

Oh and to answer the question. I was a big GJ fan and was sad when he left.

I was appauled by his treatment by some of my fellow "fans" and the negativity created by the likes of Ian Gay (Radio Bristol) and Alan Robinson (OTIB). They and others are as responsible as anyone fo the state of things at the club, and losing the best Manager in a generation.

Named and shamed for the third time, will there be a responce this time?

Anyway, get him back?............ NO.

No, his time has passed. He was the right man when he took over, and had an amazing first season, but after that it was just a case of accumulating average players, that neither improved the Club, or gave us a good base going forward.

So when we got promoted to the championship you weren't happy with a 4th and 10th place finish then. I suppose only 3rd and 1st were what you wanted.

Lot of short memories going round this forum

If we could have the GJ that was here halfway into his City career then probably yes. He stood up to player power like Jermaine? Easter by telling him where to get off and had us playing with real shape with Mcindoe on the left.

But then he seemed to lose the plot, striker after striker came in and..... Well we know the rest.

So no from me,but he certainly gave us 2 or 3 years to remember.

So when we got promoted to the championship you weren't happy with a 4th and 10th place finish then. I suppose only 3rd and 1st were what you wanted.

Lot of short memories going round this forum

But it was all about the present with Johnson, and putting 'Clubs in the bag'. Just look at how much he spent, our losses each season, and how few saleable assets we had when he left. We were running at a huge loss as he brought in journeymen that kept us mid-table, and it was clearly unsustainable. Quite a few of us were pointing this out at the time, and that any lack of forward planning would eventually cause things to go t1ts up. And his treatment of the Academy was disgraceful.

But it was all about the present with Johnson, and putting 'Clubs in the bag'. Just look at how much he spent, our losses each season, and how few saleable assets we had when he left. We were running at a huge loss as he brought in journeymen that kept us mid-table, and it was clearly unsustainable. Quite a few of us were pointing this out at the time, and that any lack of forward planning would eventually cause things to go t1ts up. And his treatment of the Academy was disgraceful.

:chant6ez:smack on mucker

no ****** way. Its because he didnt get better players in after the pray off defeat, we're in this bloody awful mess

the only ex City manager I'd have back is big Joe, just to keep us up this season.

Never go back..............

Maybe if supporters weren't so impatient managers would be able to plan long term.

Had the charisma, would take on the slackers and wasters ... but ultimately his inability to deal in the transfer market in order to push us on, lead to him becoming cornered, running out of ideas with no way out. Loved the guy but had to go in the end.

Never go back ... Jordan's second appointment was a bad mistake.

Archived