IGNORED

Steve Wigley.....

MC Risk

So, we appointed Steve Wigley, and at the time it was lauded on here as a fantastic appointment, a man who is involved in the England coaching set up, a reputation for nurturing talent and a very good coach......but i have only seen us get considerably worse on the pitch over the whole of this season......

i know its not the most talented squad but come on it seems we cant even get the basics right. I watched players last night try and go up for headers at the same time, no one running off the ball to try and create any space, defenders getting nutmegged on the edge of their own box, players unable to control or pass the ball accurately....

Despite the fact we are not the most technically gifted most of these players have played quite a bit of their football at this level now, and if you are a good coach then surely you can get them playing at what is an acceptable standard......The manager obviously picks the team and sets them out tactically but he should be reasonably confident when doing so that his squad have been well prepared.

I accept Swansea played well, but it just looked that they were well organised and all very comfortable on the ball and moving around the pitch....one thing i noticed was how deep their centrebacks were when they had the ball in midfield, they were standing adjacent to eacother on the edge of the 18 yard box, meaning if their excellent midfield players were getting closed down they had an easy ball back and then they could start again......not rocket science but very effective none the less!!!

Please just some basics on the pitch would be nice

So, we appointed Steve Wigley, and at the time it was lauded on here as a fantastic appointment, a man who is involved in the England coaching set up, a reputation for nurturing talent and a very good coach......but i have only seen us get considerably worse on the pitch over the whole of this season......

i know its not the most talented squad but come on it seems we cant even get the basics right. I watched players last night try and go up for headers at the same time, no one running off the ball to try and create any space, defenders getting nutmegged on the edge of their own box, players unable to control or pass the ball accurately....

Despite the fact we are not the most technically gifted most of these players have played quite a bit of their football at this level now, and if you are a good coach then surely you can get them playing at what is an acceptable standard......The manager obviously picks the team and sets them out tactically but he should be reasonably confident when doing so that his squad have been well prepared.

I accept Swansea played well, but it just looked that they were well organised and all very comfortable on the ball and moving around the pitch....one thing i noticed was how deep their centrebacks were when they had the ball in midfield, they were standing adjacent to eacother on the edge of the 18 yard box, meaning if their excellent midfield players were getting closed down they had an easy ball back and then they could start again......not rocket science but very effective none the less!!!

Please just some basics on the pitch would be nice

i was thinking much the same last night.

I imagined the touchline conversation

SW: 'Keith, Keith they're not playing 4-4-2'

KM: 'Youre right. it's not like anything I've seen before'

SW: ' they're passing it to their own team members...'

KM:' don't worry it can't last, they'll fade in the next few minutes'

fade to black

later that half

SW:' Keith Keith, they're STILL playing that funny formation'

KM:' hmmm you're right, I'd better consider what to do'

SW: 'substitition? change shape?...'

KM: ' you're right, I shall move my weight onto my left leg for a while and ponder using my other finger. There, hows that?'

SW'no, no I meant the team Keith..'

KM: oh no don't be silly they cant keep this up, they'll fade in a moment..'

SW' Keith, keith, they've scored...'

KM: ' not now Steve, I'm pondering...'

Look at his coaching and managerial career, and it doesn't make good reading. Stuart Pearce is his mate and took him to jobs at Man City and England under 21's. Who you know, not what you know. Ask any Southampton, Bolton and Hull fan, and they'll tell you their football was dire under his instruction. As you can tell...I don't rate him.

I suppose everyone from all the players, coaches, medical staff, Millen and tea lady have been blamed, so this one was to be expected.

What's he brought. Rose and Caulker without doubt and a experienced head to assist Millen

Without wiggles we'd be lower in the table without a shadow of a doubt

i was thinking much the same last night.

I imagined the touchline conversation

SW: 'Keith, Keith they're not playing 4-4-2'

KM: 'Youre right. it's not like anything I've seen before'

SW: ' they're passing it to their own team members...'

KM:' don't worry it can't last, they'll fade in the next few minutes'

fade to black

later that half

SW:' Keith Keith, they're STILL playing that funny formation'

KM:' hmmm you're right, I'd better consider what to do'

SW: 'substitition? change shape?...'

KM: ' you're right, I shall move my weight onto my left leg for a while and ponder using my other finger. There, hows that?'

SW'no, no I meant the team Keith..'

KM: oh no don't be silly they cant keep this up, they'll fade in a moment..'

SW' Keith, keith, they've scored...'

KM: ' not now Steve, I'm pondering...'

clapping.gif

I suppose everyone from all the players, coaches, medical staff, Millen and tea lady have been blamed, so this one was to be expected.

What's he brought. Rose and Caulker without doubt and a experienced head to assist Millen

So are you saying, he's good for the Club for his contacts or for his coaching ability?

This threads abit harsh if you ask me! there are a number of coaches at city... how do you know its not Wigley who is keeping us above the relegation zone? how can anyone on here pin point the number two as the weak link? somthings not right on this fourm seriously... i want to laugh really but im beyond that.

This threads abit harsh if you ask me! there are a number of coaches at city... how do you know its not Wigley who is keeping us above the relegation zone? how can anyone on here pin point the number two as the weak link? somthings not right on this fourm seriously... i want to laugh really but im beyond that.

Not harsh from my point of view just a matter of opinions......do you honestly think our footballing and technical ability on the ball, organisation, desire has improved this season from last.......im sorry i was very sceptical about his appointment amongst a number of posters who were very positive about it.....and i have seen nothing on the pitch which is the main part of his role to show me that i was wrong with my initial thoughts

so sorry lets get this straight you dont agree with my second paragraph, that for much of the season we have produced absolute crump football??? so you go down to ag expecting to be entertained at the moment do you? Thats his job to ensure technically, positionally, physically we are prepared for a match day.

Ok Caulker has been head and shoulders our best player this season.....but i have been very underwhelmed by Rose this season having initially thought this was one of the best captures we made for a long time, he just looks like he is going through the motions!!!

i dont care for your initial line its my opinion and i am happy to share it

Not harsh from my point of view just a matter of opinions......do you honestly think our footballing and technical ability on the ball, organisation, desire has improved this season from last.......im sorry i was very sceptical about his appointment amongst a number of posters who were very positive about it.....and i have seen nothing on the pitch which is the main part of his role to show me that i was wrong with my initial thoughts

Surely millen should be the 1 to have a pop at? afterall hes the main man whos decision is final? and even then how does anyone know what Millen and Wiggleys doing in training unless they have inside access to every training session! in my opinion its the over paid lazy players who cant be arsed.

Surely millen should be the 1 to have a pop at? afterall hes the main man whos decision is final? and even then how does anyone know what Millen and Wiggleys doing in training unless they have inside access to every training session! in my opinion its the over paid lazy players who cant be arsed.

agree buck stops at millen...but wigley as head coach is the one out their every day....no none of us are on the training ground but i am commenting on how we cant even seem to get the basics right and that has to be down to coaching staff....

and in regards to lazy players.....your only lazy if your management team allow you to be lazy....goes back down to the motivation question so many on here raised sinced last night

I think EVERYONE - manager, coaches, players etc etc... would all benefit from some kind of outside professional motivational, confidence, teambuilding sessions.... (our own 'sports psychologists' -have we still got one?.. aint doing it).

Everyone needs a bit of a shake-up, needs food for thought, where are they where are the going sort of thing... you can achieve it, you will achieve it if you want it nothing is stopping you etc except your own belief, desire, togetherness etc etc..

Splash out a few quid on some brain-training sessions like this (afternoons after normal physical training perhaps) tailor made to needs of players & individuals with specific roles like the manager - get them properly focussed on what theyre doing & where theyre going... get someone like Derren Brown/Paul Mckenna in... (no spoon benders please - Uri need not apply!)... there are business 'guru's' out there that can & do do the same thing with struggling unfocussed businesses - they get 'em back on track & it seems to work.

Sometimes the managers & CEO's need a bit of confidence building, refocussing etc too - they are all only human & its not a weakness to get some help where & when necessary - Its recognising where problems lie, helping to see the wood from the trees etc.. getting everything in sync & everyone in therir roles singing from the same songsheet..

It wouldnt do any harm - theres nowt (literally to lose right now) - smells like team spirit to me!!

We require strong, bold and inspirational leaders on and off the pitch.

We have Jamo plus SL and CS.

The rest, no doubt, are jolly nice people but appear hopeless in the heat of the battle. To appoint Wigley in support of Millen and Walshy, three 'Mr Niceys', was a grave error. Giving Skuse the captaincy, another Mr Nice Guy, an equally appalling decision.

The mystifying thing for those of us who witnessed the two friendlies at Torquay and Exeter was that the total lack of football leadership on and off pitch was evident in July and August.

Hey ho. Onwards and downwards.

I think EVERYONE - manager, coaches, players etc etc... would all benefit from some kind of outside professional motivational, confidence, teambuilding sessions.... (our own 'sports psychologists' -have we still got one?.. aint doing it).

Everyone needs a bit of a shake-up, needs food for thought, where are they where are the going sort of thing... you can achieve it, you will achieve it if you want it nothing is stopping you etc except your own belief, desire, togetherness etc etc..

Splash out a few quid on some brain-training sessions like this (afternoons after normal physical training perhaps) tailor made to needs of players & individuals with specific roles like the manager - get them properly focussed on what theyre doing & where theyre going... get someone like Derren Brown/Paul Mckenna in... (no spoon benders please - Uri need not apply!)... there are business 'guru's' out there that can & do do the same thing with struggling unfocussed businesses - they get 'em back on track & it seems to work.

Sometimes the managers & CEO's need a bit of confidence building, refocussing etc too - they are all only human & its not a weakness to get some help where & when necessary - Its recognising where problems lie, helping to see the wood from the trees etc.. getting everything in sync & everyone in therir roles singing from the same songsheet..

It wouldnt do any harm - theres nowt (literally to lose right now) - smells like team spirit to me!!

Don't need all the psychologists, just get all of them down the pub for an afternoon.

Really??? We are inches above the relegation zone with this tactical genius on board. There ain't a whole lot further to fall....

Really??? We are inches above the relegation zone with this tactical genius on board. There ain't a whole lot further to fall....

Without Wigley we wouldnt have got Rose or caulker

Without caulker we would be lower in the division without doubt

Sorry but I said at the time I was underwhelmed by his appointment not that I expected anyone of arguably higher pedigree to arrive as it would have put too much pressure on Millen. If his influence brought Caulker to the club then yes, this alone, Donald has been worth bringing him in because you are right we would be lower down the table without the spurs loanee.

What City need is a complete clear out of ALL the management team, AND the entire coaching staff bar Murray. Every part of it has been found wanting, and none of them are able to motivate the lazy assed players to get out and bloody play as a team, let alone master the basic skills. we are almost as big a joke as the sadsag scum up the road..

What City need is a complete clear out of ALL the management team, AND the entire coaching staff bar Murray. Every part of it has been found wanting, and none of them are able to motivate the lazy assed players to get out and bloody play as a team, let alone master the basic skills. we are almost as big a joke as the sadsag scum up the road..

millen seems to be bulletproof. allowing him to cut his management teeth with us is costing us big time. SL has had a shocker with his appointments with the exception of GJ but even then he waited too long to make the change.

i predict we will get worse and he will make the change after another 3 or 4 defeats by which time we will probably be in the bottom 3.

Archived