IGNORED

Paulo Sousa

The Casual Connoisseur

I have just watched him as the guest panalist on skys football league show and was extremely impressed with his passion and theories on the English game.

He talked about how he and a few other managers are instigating different playing systems in the English league and how he would love to stay in England and work his long term plan to fruition, this of course got me thinking about what a manager like Sousa could do with a fanbase, chairman and nucleus of a decent squad like ours?

I am not saying that now is the right time to change, (although we couldn't do much worse) and after backing Keith in the transfer window I am sure there is zero chance of that happening but when the seasons over, he MUST be approached......surely?

clapping.gif

At Benfica from 15, in the first team from 17, won us a league title aged 20, legendary status for going in goal after a red card at just 21 and helped win a match, went on to be the first player to win back to back Champions Leagues with different teams, won a Serie A player of the season... so yeah that would be good. Even if he got a rep at Swansea for bore draws.

After Tuesdays pathetic display, passing in any direction would be a huge step forward.

I thought he talked alot of sense, but bringing in a manager like that would be the shake up we need. We definitely need a complete change at the club from the bottom up, the style of play, professionalism of the players everything. The only problem for me is the patients of City fans, as with any change how long would he get before the knives were out if a manager like that didn't get off to a good start?

I certainly bow to Ole's knowledge of Portuguese football and Benfica in particular, but my take on it is that Sousa was simply continuing what Martinez had originated at Swansea and that Rodgers has since done the same thing, though he has added goals (in the form of Sinclair) that Sousa's side (who were the lowest scorers in the entire division) didn't have.

It was apparent in midweek that one of Swansea's two major reasons for success is the creation of a constant football philosophy that can withstand the departure of managers and anyone still there at the final whistle will have noticed a huddle that unlike the artificial pre match one which often seems to serve absolutely no purpose at all, struck me as one of a side that is going places, in fact very much like the side Joe Jordan built in 89/90.

The other side of their success story? Simple, buy cheap, sell dear and make very few mistakes in the transfer market. The complete opposite to us.

As for City, if we do make a change we need an instigator of a football philosophy, not a continuer, fortunately there is one about 70 miles down the M5 in Paul Tisdale and so if he'd join us we'd be mad to look elsewhere when the moment arises.

I was going to make this suggestion, but didn't have the balls, as i thought i'd be shot down in flames...especially after praising the way Swansea played so much.

Personally, I would love Sousa here, with his footballing knowledge and philosophy's. Whether it would work at BCFC is another thing.

It didn't work for him at Leicester, because they wanted instant success. It would take time to implement his theories, right down to the youth teams. A whole new restructuring and coaching system put in place.

I think it would be wonderful for this Club, to think outside the box, that is 'typical Championship side'.

I'm sure the Academy would benefit, and in the long term, the whole Club.

Football in this country needs to change, it's become old fashioned and predictable. Especially below the Premier League.

The same type of football is being played from club to club. All hustle and bussle...huff and puff. If BCFC would be willing to be at the forefront of change, then i think it would be fantastic for this Club.

He'd play some pretty football and shore up the defence, but we havn't scored in 5 already. With Sousa in charge we'd of only scored 4 all season.

Surely...You're only basing that on his time at Swansea. With someone like Nicky Maynard upfront, playing off the shoulder of the last defender, i'm sure he would benefit from some slide rule passing from midfield. We seem to be absolutely mindset on playing two wingers at this club, have been for years. Yes it's exciting when it works, but it's old hat now. Look at poor Adomah...easily worked out now by the oppositions midfield and defense. He's usually got 3 around him, by the time he trys to cross. The same can be said of JCR, Sproule etc. Again...what's the point of getting a cross in, if there is generally only 1 or maybe 2 strikers in the box?

We don't retain the ball, or attack or defend as a unit. It's all very disjointed, and sometimes reminicent of a pin ball machine, the way the ball is pinging about everywhere.

I've watched football throughout Europe, and to be fair, the entertainment value at football matches in this country,in general, is very poor by comparison.

The only difference i can see, between the Championship and the lower leagues, is fitness, speed and better finishing. Apart from that nothing. The same basic shapes and tactics are being played throughout the divisions, and as a nation we are going backward.

It's only those teams that are using foreign players, coaches and tactics, that are achieving. Finding a blend of the two, is working.

If we could implement, a Spanish or Portugese philosophy throughout the levels at our club, and install it in our British youth players, then i'm sure we would reap the benefits in the future. The style is played at pace, which suits our mentality, but they have the technical ability and refinement which we lack.

It would be a positive move in my book.

Looking at it from a purely Entertainment value, having 'Flair' players puts bums on seats too. Ok, they don't always work out, but who can remember being thoroughly entertained with the likes of Jacki and even Noble or Trundle? Finding fitter versions of those is possible. I've seen them.

It's just being brave and doing it. Also the fans would have to be informed of the philosophy, how long it would take and what the realistic goals were.

I'm sure it would be an enjoyable ride. Seeing a transformation before your eye's would be a marvelous thing to witness.

At the moment, as a club, we are just treading water, along with many others. It's all very stagnent and has been for years imho.

personally not for me i know we are being served up total dross at the minute but from what i have seen from his teams so far its not very enjoyable to watch! werent swansea one of the lowest scorers last season just asking?

Its called surviving your first seasons in a new league. His teams are more competant in all positions with the ball. I suggested his name to come in to replace Johnson' and I still think so. I thinks he's perfect for this club

I agree that the Swansea team he managed didn't score goals, however they created chances, we have Maynard, Pitman and Stead I have no doubt that if Swansea had any of those 3 last year we would be watching them on MOTD week in week out playing premier league football.

This clubs needs a footballing labotomy, from the bottom up and we won't find that by going with the usual candidates, maybe bar Tisdale and O'driscoll.

I think Sousa is the man to build a lasting legacy that in time will pay dividends to the patience it needs, especially if we ever plan on building and filling a new stadium.

Those calling for a return of Johnson or a curbishley like figure need to look at the bigger picture.

One of the worst Leicester managers in recent history and underperformed with a strong Swansea side. Would make 2009/10 look like the most entertaining season of all time.

He had 12 games in charge of Leicester. It took Gary Johnson 9 games to get a win, he then got us to within 90minutes of the premier league, you need patience and time in football miracles don't happen overnight.

Its called surviving your first seasons in a new league. His teams are more competant in all positions with the ball. I suggested his name to come in to replace Johnson' and I still think so. I thinks he's perfect for this club

Their first season in this league was under Roberto Martinez, where they received numerous accolades for their style, Scotland scored a hatload. Leicester were doing pretty well under Pearson until he came along, too.

He had 12 games in charge of Leicester. It took Gary Johnson 9 games to get a win, he then got us to within 90minutes of the premier league, you need patience and time in football miracles don't happen overnight.

GJ won 3 of his first 4 games taking over a team in woeful form with numerous poor players, Leicester were a penalty shoot-out away from the play-off final last season and have a strong squad. Yeah you do need patience but I don't know a Leicester fan who has anything good to say about him whatsoever, and they've had to sit through some dross in the past decade at times.

My mistake, I thought Johnson had an awful start, should have checked the stats, Id take boring at the moment if it meant avoiding relegation'

I think we could have entertainment & safety, we've been in shit form but when we went on that run from October-New Year we played some decent stuff when rising from danger.

Don't do it!! He was one of the worst managers we have ever had!! Glad to see the back of him!!

Good job I am not chairman really!

I stand corrected.

Would still like to see the whole set up changed with view to a European model, ideally I'd have Hiddink, Pep, Jose, Jose or Mr Cryuff over seeing the project but something tells me that won't happen!

Good job I am not chairman really!

I stand corrected.

Would still like to see the whole set up changed with view to a European model, ideally I'd have Hiddink, Pep, Jose, Jose or Mr Cryuff over seeing the project but something tells me that won't happen!

It's mid morning Sunday. I can promise I've not been on the cider (yet).

But why not Jose? Of course we can't afford him but soon he will have realised his dream of getting the Championship in all the three big European leagues (plus Portugal).

What next for him? A real challenge! And get a poor second rate team promoted and made Champions.....

Anyway, back on Earth, I do think that Lansdown should put in a 10-year plan that includes copying the French, Dutch and Spanish way of playing i.e. having players in all positions who can trap a ball and then pass it to a colleague. A foreign academy director would be essential to oversee this.

I agree that the Swansea team he managed didn't score goals, however they created chances, we have Maynard, Pitman and Stead I have no doubt that if Swansea had any of those 3 last year we would be watching them on MOTD week in week out playing premier league football.

This clubs needs a footballing labotomy, from the bottom up and we won't find that by going with the usual candidates, maybe bar Tisdale and O'driscoll.

I think Sousa is the man to build a lasting legacy that in time will pay dividends to the patience it needs, especially if we ever plan on building and filling a new stadium.

Those calling for a return of Johnson or a curbishley like figure need to look at the bigger picture.

Not saying Sousa would be the man necessarily- very true about them creating chances. I remember one game- Newcastle perhaps, they battered them for most of the game, outplayed them but just couldn't convert and got done with a sucker punch- could well have happened quite often. Also remember watching Swansea 3 v Cardiff 2 last season, entertaining side for sure in that one.

It's mid morning Sunday. I can promise I've not been on the cider (yet).

But why not Jose? Of course we can't afford him but soon he will have realised his dream of getting the Championship in all the three big European leagues (plus Portugal).

What next for him? A real challenge! And get a poor second rate team promoted and made Champions.....

Anyway, back on Earth, I do think that Lansdown should put in a 10-year plan that includes copying the French, Dutch and Spanish way of playing i.e. having players in all positions who can trap a ball and then pass it to a colleague. A foreign academy director would be essential to oversee this.

just like fat benny? and we all know how well that went. And lets not forget Benny's credentials were better than sousa's 'managerial' credentials if not 'playing' credentials - good players do not always make good managers despite talking a good game.

just like fat benny? and we all know how well that went. And lets not forget Benny's credentials were better than sousa's 'managerial' credentials if not 'playing' credentials - good players do not always make good managers despite talking a good game.

Benny was brought in to be coach and bring the kids through. JW bottled it and left us in the shite. It wasn't Benny's fault.

Benny was brought in to be coach and bring the kids through. JW bottled it and left us in the shite. It wasn't Benny's fault.

My understanding was that benny was brought in as 'Director of football' - overseeing all footballing matters, which is what upset JW. If i am wrong then I apologise.

However, that is irrelevant to my point. benny's credentials were very good with success in Europe as a coach but not a player but even with £3million spent on three 'quality' forwards (alot of money in those days) his contribution was dissapointing, and one very good reason not to think of sousa, who has failed at all his clubs.

Apart from the obvious clubs the rest of european football is very dull, with tactics designed to nullify the opposition instead of being positive.

It appears from many threads on here that many regard the swansea team that played us last week was managed by sousa. It was not, and there success last week was due to our tactics which made them look better than they were. When we corrected the faults at half time the game changed dramatically, albeit too late. As seen at Preston, a change of tactics can have a major effect on a game, even with much of the same personnel.

Apart from the obvious clubs the rest of european football is very dull, with tactics designed to nullify the opposition instead of being positive.

Depends how we define dull, I suppose. If one up front and a fairly crowded central midfield is the angle then it may be seen as dull. Others may see it as tactically shrewd. For example, those Liverpool v Chelsea semis in the 2000's with Benitez v Mourinho. Dull or fascinating from a tactical, if not necessarily a free flowing football angle?

Archived