IGNORED

Only Just Realised Keith?

View from the Dolman

god knows, probably the same reason as Gary sticking Marv on the left wing last season and at right back at Wembley, because of his "all action style" they think he's worth a go anywhere when needs must......personally think only place for Marv is in the middle of midfield.

All I know is the context that Millen was speaking on the radio was in a joking nature.

Personally speaking, it's only one game he's played in the role (didn't attend but didn't he only actually play 45mins in that role), until he's played a few games, in the position, I won't be getting excited after all.....it's clarkson

Cant remember him playing on the left.....

and whats wrong with marvin at right back???

One of the oddest things about Johnson's final season at City was the way he spent the summer acquiring players to play a 3-5-2 formation, used it successfully for the first game with Clarkson in the attacking midfield role, and then abandoned it entirely.

Gary just ran out of time........ I do not think he was a 'bad' manager and he got us up where many others had failed

(remember for all his faults we were only one goal away from Division 1 old school)

:)

That's closer than we have been for years

Can not hide the disappointment though I grant you...... but if you look at the top teams now.... they have certainly had a few bad seasons eh?

Gary just ran out of time........ I do not think he was a 'bad' manager and he got us up where many others had failed

(remember for all his faults we were only one goal away from Division 1 old school)

:)

That's closer than we have been for years

Can not hide the disappointment though I grant you...... but if you look at the top teams now.... they have certainly had a few bad seasons eh?

This probably isn't the place for a debate about Gary, and you'll get no argument from me on that fault anyway - I was, and remain, a huge fan of his.

However I did think it curious that he seemed to spend that entire pre-season preparing the team to play 3-5-2, then abandoned it after one game, and a game that we won, too.

god knows, probably the same reason as Gary sticking Marv on the left wing last season and at right back at Wembley, because of his "all action style" they think he's worth a go anywhere when needs must......personally think only place for Marv is in the middle of midfield.

All I know is the context that Millen was speaking on the radio was in a joking nature.

Personally speaking, it's only one game he's played in the role (didn't attend but didn't he only actually play 45mins in that role), until he's played a few games, in the position, I won't be getting excited after all.....it's clarkson

Don't think he ever played left wing that was skuse,

You do know Marvin use to be a right back don't you he played there when Millwall got to the FA Cup final and played for Millwall in the cup final against Man Utd,

Bradley Orr was never a right back but was a central midfield Johnson moved him to right back

One of the oddest things about Johnson's final season at City was the way he spent the summer acquiring players to play a 3-5-2 formation, used it successfully for the first game with Clarkson in the attacking midfield role, and then abandoned it entirely.

I don't think he abandoned it at all.

Shortly after the start to the season, the squad was decimated by a combination of virus and injuries. I can remember a few games where we were struggling to have 11 players fit for games, let alone have the choice of outr ideal formation. Unfortunately, as players gradually returned to fitness, selections were based on who was available rather than ideal choice, so I think playing players out of position combined with some less than convincing perfromances and results gave many a stick with which to beat GJ.

From then on GJ seemed to lose his self confidence and I am sure even his staunchest supporters wil have been baffled by some of his selection as the season deteriorated.

As for Clarkson, he never seemd to recover his fitness after the virus, and was also unfortunate that we never went back to the 3-5-2 formation which would have givenhim the chance to play "in the hole"..

Don't think he ever played left wing that was skuse,

You do know Marvin use to be a right back don't you he played there when Millwall got to the FA Cup final and played for Millwall in the cup final against Man Utd,

Bradley Orr was never a right back but was a central midfield Johnson moved him to right back

he got stuck out their last season for a few games in order to "give other players games", I do also recall Skuse playing Right Wing for one game, that was an even bigger disaster - Leicester at Home???

I do know Marv filled in at Right Back at Millwall, however at City he's only played their once....at wembley what a disaster that was!!!

Ahhhh and well said with regards to Orr, For the record, it was Millen that first played Orr at Right Back - blackpool at home I believe? Impressed and stayed their and the rest is history. But lets not give Keith credit for anything,

I don't think he abandoned it at all.

Shortly after the start to the season, the squad was decimated by a combination of virus and injuries. I can remember a few games where we were struggling to have 11 players fit for games, let alone have the choice of outr ideal formation. Unfortunately, as players gradually returned to fitness, selections were based on who was available rather than ideal choice, so I think playing players out of position combined with some less than convincing perfromances and results gave many a stick with which to beat GJ.

From then on GJ seemed to lose his self confidence and I am sure even his staunchest supporters wil have been baffled by some of his selection as the season deteriorated.

As for Clarkson, he never seemd to recover his fitness after the virus, and was also unfortunate that we never went back to the 3-5-2 formation which would have givenhim the chance to play "in the hole"..

Fair points. I think Clarkson's illness and Blackman's off-pitch misdemeanours robbed Gary of two players who were signed with the intention of playing 3-5-2, so maybe he had no choice there.

That said, he then played players out of position in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 so surely lack of players wasn't the issue. He could have played Sno as an advanced central midfielder rather than on the left wing for instance.

Also, we did go back to the 3-5-2 formation - as soon as Gary left - and with some success. Granted not with Clarkson playing but still it was used. Oddly Millen's now abandoned it too, but that really could be due to lack of personel - I wonder if he'd have used it if we'd kept Orr and Hartley for instance.

he got stuck out their last season for a few games in order to "give other players games", I do also recall Skuse playing Right Wing for one game, that was an even bigger disaster - Leicester at Home???

I do know Marv filled in at Right Back at Millwall, however at City he's only played their once....at wembley what a disaster that was!!!

Ahhhh and well said with regards to Orr, For the record, it was Millen that first played Orr at Right Back - blackpool at home I believe? Impressed and stayed their and the rest is history. But lets not give Keith credit for anything,

how would you even know that?

I meant how did you remember the exact game?? Statto

ahhh,

just one of those games you remember, it was the game after the swansea battering and Orr got alot of stick when he came on, upto then he'd been worse than shit for city and it was the first time he actually looked like he might become a good player as he seemed so solid defensively, like clarky on saturday at the time felt it was probably just a one off......time will tell if Clarkson's position change will have the same effect to his career as it did Orr.

ahhh,

just one of those games you remember, it was the game after the swansea battering and Orr got alot of stick when he came on, upto then he'd been worse than shit for city and it was the first time he actually looked like he might become a good player as he seemed so solid defensively, like clarky on saturday at the time felt it was probably just a one off......time will tell if Clarkson's position change will have the same effect to his career as it did Orr.

pretty sure Orr played there first under Tinnion away to Chesterfield after Jamie Smith got sent off.

pretty sure Orr played there first under Tinnion away to Chesterfield after Jamie Smith got sent off.

Jamie Smith sent off???? - I find that very believable,

haven't done Chesterfield away for since a farical game under Wilson, I'll take your word for it on that one, in which case Well Done Tinnion.....Millen Booo :innocent06:

Archived