IGNORED

David James.....

cityhead

Firstly, I would like to point out that I usually hate threads that have a go at individual players as it's a team game, but I am fast becoming very dissalusioned with this player.

IMO he is quickly catching Nicky hunt in the 'Worst signing of the season' category.

Two basic errors tonight, spilling the ball when struggling to hold the ball should have punched it harder to clear the danger, and secondly getting beaten at the near post with no effort to save it.

Yet the majority of threads so far have been having a go at KM.

it doesn't matter what tactics KM employs or the players he chooses, if they let the team down on the day it is their responsibility.

I don't care how much he costs (it's not my money) but Gerken has to be re-instated if only to give everybody a kick up the ass by emphasising nobody has an exclusive first team spot.

rant over.

I can't help but wonder, if the muted criticism based on what some have said about the first goal tonight, is based to some extent on his name, pay packet or past feats as opposed to what he's done for us?

Talking of James, he said he should still be England's No.1- any thoughts?

Not saying he had been amazing, but he has been pretty reliable. Much more than can be said for gerken

Firstly, I would like to point out that I usually hate threads that have a go at individual players as it's a team game, but I am fast becoming very dissalusioned with this player.

IMO he is quickly catching Nicky hunt in the 'Worst signing of the season' category.

Two basic errors tonight, spilling the ball when struggling to hold the ball should have punched it harder to clear the danger, and secondly getting beaten at the near post with no effort to save it.

Yet the majority of threads so far have been having a go at KM.

it doesn't matter what tactics KM employs or the players he chooses, if they let the team down on the day it is their responsibility.

I don't care how much he costs (it's not my money) but Gerken has to be re-instated if only to give everybody a kick up the ass by emphasising nobody has an exclusive first team spot.

rant over.

All players make mistakes, and all keepers make mistakes which are often more crucial and highlighted.

I think over the course of the season, you can count on 1 hand the amount of DJ's errors that have directly resulted in a goal.

Gerken probably made more errors last season.

Every time I've seen DJ I've seen a man who organises his defence and can pull off saves better than any keeper I've ever seen at Ashton Gate. In those same games I've come on here and seen him slagged off to high heaven. I wasn't at Leicester tonight, a mate went and coincidentally said James had a good game. Should know never to trust otib.Apparently the man to slate tonight, if any, is one Andy Keogh.

He does have an aire of quality to him as you'd expect but for me in reality substance seems ok at best.

Think our small club status was proven on signing him just because we could an I was laughing at the mass euphoria at the time.

England haven't had a world class 'keeper since Seaman, just also also-rans.

One thing I would point out based on what I saw at Preston- his distribution was not the best. Now I know the conditions were wet and windy, but it seemed to me at times that every time he cleared it in open play it went straight to a Preston player! He also seemed reluctant to distribute it relatively short, but again that could be the conditions or indeed his team-mates and their skill on the ball.

Every time I've seen DJ I've seen a man who organises his defence and can pull off saves better than any keeper I've ever seen at Ashton Gate.

I see DJ and think that Gerken used to be screaming at people much more than him. And when goals go in and he boots the ball out I think he is probably frustrated by the level of people that are in front of him and why can't he become a leader more.

But still don't see how you can have a go at the keeper for anything really. Seaman getting chipped by Ronaldinho? Terrible!

It is funny how we bring all these players in that are sh1te tho.. is it the players, team, management?

Couldn't have done anything about the 2nd goal tonight. Annoys me when keepers get blamed every time a goal goes in at the near post. Each goal needs to be taken on it's merit and tonights was past him before he even had chance to react due to the power of the shot and nothing else.

I see DJ and think that Gerken used to be screaming at people much more than him. And when goals go in and he boots the ball out I think he is probably frustrated by the level of people that are in front of him and why can't he become a leader more.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but there's a lot more to organising a defence than shouting at them. Living away from Ashton Gate the first game I saw was Doncaster this season, then Coventry and Boro. By the Boro game it was clear that he had had some influence on the way the team reacted when he had the ball - he looked frustrated at the lack of movement at Doncaster & Coventry but by Boro we were hitting teams on the break with his quick release. Things like that are telling.

at 23k a week and recently to many basic errors i do think he thinks hes thinks untouchable (because sl signed him) but to be realistic would we be in a worse league position if gerks or henderson were keeping goal???

Wow his wages go up every time there is a thread on him, he started on 10k a week, swiftly moved up to 12 then 15, now we have him on 23k a week. I bet SL wants DJ name banned from all forums, it must be costing him a fortune.

Wow his wages go up every time there is a thread on him, he started on 10k a week, swiftly moved up to 12 then 15, now we have him on 23k a week. I bet SL wants DJ name banned from all forums, it must be costing him a fortune.

at 29k a week and recently to many basic errors i do think he thinks hes thinks untouchable (because sl signed him) but to be realistic would we be in a worse league position if gerks or henderson were keeping goal??? :dancing6:

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but there's a lot more to organising a defence than shouting at them.

I think I was just trying to say that DJ might not do himself any favours perception-wise by being frustrated with def etc. No doubt he has an input into things and I agree they have improved but a screaming Gerken versus what seems like an aloof DJ, well people can read a lot into that and he wouldn't do any harm (visibly) to be even more of a leader on match day :)

I might be in a minority of Gerken fans, thought he did OK last season. But DJ has made some great saves this season

Well i just saw the highlights on SSN and ok DJ couldv done better with the 1st goal? But look how many times he kept us in the game sven's lot couldv scored so many more if it wasnt for DJ and looking at some rating on sky sports DJ was rated 8/10 for the game. well done drop him? Complete fool who thinks we should replace DJ for Gerkin thank god ur not the manager we'd be down and out like the Rovers :englandsmile4wf: also the worse signing? i think DJ has to be one of the top signings this club has ever made.

I really am in the brigade of I just cannot get this whole Calamity James "love in" thing??? Yes he has made some good saves, but then so did Gherken, so has Henderson and so did Adriano before them?

Personally I think he is no better than any of them and whatever you believe wage wise I am pretty certain that his wages are a dam sight higher than any of them????

To me hes at Ashton to collect his pension and has no loyalty or commitment to either THE FANS or the club.

In short he is very expensive and TOTALLY UP HIMSELF.

Not being funny, but what is this love in with 40 yr old David James, who was at best a decent keeper in his prime, but never ever world class.

For what he has cost us in wages i would have much rather have had Gerken in the sticks and saved the big wages for a decent midfielder

OTIB really does talk some crap.

You don't go from being good enough for an England World Cup team to not good enough for a Championship team in a matter of months.

And even if we were looking to replace him, Hendo is the one who needs the experience, not Deano.

David James is our number 1 and he deserves it. We are lucky to have him ffs, appreciate it while he is here. He's saved way more points than he has cost us.

Jamo has saved us being anchored to the foot of the table and condemed to life in League 1 a long while back.

Can you imagine an inexperienced keeper behind our fragile defence? I saw it pre-season and it was not a pretty sight.

OK only saw the SSN highlights .. but 4 class saves ... 1 goal from a defensive blunder and unstoppable shot and another where he gambled and lost out. Perhaps if we had dominating defenders he wouldn't have needed to come out.

I think those looking for the replacement for LJ as the fall-guy ought to look elsewhere.

Every time I've seen DJ I've seen a man who organises his defence

Good grief! Imagine where we'd be now if he couldn't....

For what it's worth, James is the best we've got in the keeping department. Whether he's worth the money I'm not sure. I'm happy to have him at the Gate though. You know things are bad if we have to revert back to DG

So David James organises our defence?

Can anyone actually name a recent season where we've conceded goals in such quantity and with so many of them being so soft?

We've got most of the defenders from reccent, more successful seasons, we've got the same man coaching them... someone or something was organising them better - perhaps Mr Orr and Mr Basso were far more influential than some on here would give credit.

I'd replace James now, nice bloke but something's not worked all season. Presumably we can recall the in-form Henderson?

Alternatively and my prefernce would be approach our favourite source of loan players, Wolves, and enquire about their back-up keeper. These potentially desperate times call for strong, positive characters to inspire a bit of - dare I say it - "belief"!!!!!

So David James organises our defence?

Can anyone actually name a recent season where we've conceded goals in such quantity and with so many of them being so soft?

We've got most of the defenders from reccent, more successful seasons, we've got the same man coaching them... someone or something was organising them better - perhaps Mr Orr and Mr Basso were far more influential than some on here would give credit.

I'd replace James now, nice bloke but something's not worked all season. Presumably we can recall the in-form Henderson?

Alternatively and my prefernce would be approach our favourite source of loan players, Wolves, and enquire about their back-up keeper. These potentially desperate times call for strong, positive characters to inspire a bit of - dare I say it - "belief"!!!!!

Could it possibly be conceivable that the defence in front of him hasn't been good to say the least! Apart from last night he probably made 3 mistakes all season. We could have had Van der Sar in goal this season and he couldn't have done much better! Some of these threads are beyond belief at times!

Soft goals or not DJ might stop most shots but when our defence opens up like the red sea at annoying regularity it's not like simply riding a bike when trying to stop one or more opposition players bearing down on you with a ball at speed. I agree with those saying we would be a whole lot worse off without him.

And here's another thought; is it not conceivable that however professional DJ is he might actually be human and occasionally be prone to mistakes probably because he too finds it very hard to be motivated.... He was probably told or led to believe he would have a good defence in front of him. Well, clearly, he hasn't, in entirety at least.

I really am in the brigade of I just cannot get this whole Calamity James "love in" thing??? Yes he has made some good saves, but then so did Gherken, so has Henderson and so did Adriano before them?

Personally I think he is no better than any of them and whatever you believe wage wise I am pretty certain that his wages are a dam sight higher than any of them????

To me hes at Ashton to collect his pension and has no loyalty or commitment to either THE FANS or the club.

In short he is very expensive and TOTALLY UP HIMSELF.

+1

Archived