IGNORED

David James.....

cityhead

But still don't see how you can have a go at the keeper for anything really. Seaman getting chipped by Ronaldinho? Terrible!

did you know that the goal should not have been given because the ref signalled for an in-direct free kick.

Not that i'm still pissed off about it or anything.

:disapointed2se:

So opinion is mixed.

For those in support of DJ there seems to be very little reason behind their arguments - he's the best in the Championship, end of.

Yet when you analyse his performances they are not very good.

he has cost us games by giving away silly penalties, he's made numerous mistakes with poor clearances, he's dropped the ball providing opposition forwards easy tap ins.

OK, he has made a couple of very good saves.

However, as with all sportsmen age has an effect - even goalkeepers. Goalies dont need to be as fit as outfield players but they do need to be agile with good reflexes, both of which deteriorate with age.

Shilton, Clemence and seaman were all found out when age caught up with them and it cost them their careers, even failing to drop down the leagues.

Whilst gerken made some mistakes last season, some of his saves were as influential as maynards goals in getting us results. many of which were one on ones when the defence in front of him were totally embarrassed by the opposition.

My recollection of last year was that there were far more instances of chants of "Deano, Deano" after a great save than this year of "Jamo, Jamo"

So opinion is mixed.

For those in support of DJ there seems to be very little reason behind their arguments - he's the best in the Championship, end of.

Yet when you analyse his performances they are not very good.

he has cost us games by giving away silly penalties, he's made numerous mistakes with poor clearances, he's dropped the ball providing opposition forwards easy tap ins.

OK, he has made a couple of very good saves.

However, as with all sportsmen age has an effect - even goalkeepers. Goalies dont need to be as fit as outfield players but they do need to be agile with good reflexes, both of which deteriorate with age.

Shilton, Clemence and seaman were all found out when age caught up with them and it cost them their careers, even failing to drop down the leagues.

Whilst gerken made some mistakes last season, some of his saves were as influential as maynards goals in getting us results. many of which were one on ones when the defence in front of him were totally embarrassed by the opposition.

My recollection of last year was that there were far more instances of chants of "Deano, Deano" after a great save than this year of "Jamo, Jamo"

Excellent post - spot on IMO

<br />For those in support of DJ there seems to be very little reason behind their arguments - he's the best in the Championship, end of.<br /><br />Yet when you analyse his performances they are not very good.<br /><br />he has cost us games by giving away silly penalties, he's made numerous mistakes with poor clearances, he's dropped the ball providing opposition forwards easy tap ins.<br />
<br />The arrogance of this post is staggering. Anyone who supports DJ is basing it on nothing, anyone who doesn't is doing it based on the facts that you are more than happy to reel off. Never try your hand at law work.<br /><br />If you care to look through the highlights of games on player this season you will see the saves that DJ has pulled off - he's given away 2 penalties all season, one of which never should have been and the other one he saved. You could make the connection (but funnily enough you didn't) that because of his presence in his area and the amount he dives at people's feet that the two ideas could be related.<br /><br />James has made the odd mistake this season, but you could count on one hand how many led to goals. Basso made mistakes, Gerken made mistakes. Basso was undoubtedly a different class to Gerken, but IMO James is better than him. He is a top-class shot stopper and his distribution is better than anything I've seen between the sticks for us, as is his aerial presence. I appreciate you may have a different view. Shame you can't do the same.

I think long term, if we can keep DJ's, he will be good for the Club.

Maybe he will be offered a coaching position at the club in the future. I'm sure Gerkin and Henderson will learn from him. In fact when you watch Gerkin warm up for matches, you notice he's picked up a lot of DJ's mannerism's, that he didn't have last year.

Hopefully, whatever we are paying him, will be well spent long term.

I am, and have been since he arrived, not sure what DJ brings to the team over and above the likes of Gerken or Henderson.

Sure he has been a top class GK, but not without some occasional serious errors, hence the nick-name. He still is pretty good, but best in the league? Not so sure about that.

But it's not his ability that leaves me less than convinced, it's more the question why is he here?

I don't see a great deal of rapport with his team mates, or the fans.

I don't see that BCFC means that much to him either.

I do see outbursts of petulant behaviour when he often boots the ball out of the ground when we concede, rather than trying to gee up the team.

I've no doubt he is an articulate and knowledgeable chap and has something to offer after his playing days are over, but just now in his final season or two, is he right for BCFC, or does the top player legacy he carries with him have an adverse effect on what he brings to the club?

I don't know, but I just sense that apart from the obvious leaking defence we have, we are not such tight knit group at the back as we have been in terms of unity.

OTIB really does talk some crap.

You don't go from being good enough for an England World Cup team to not good enough for a Championship team in a matter of months.

The problem with that argument is that England as a whole weren't good enough for the World Cup and I think that most fans would recognise that Capello didn't actually select his strongest keeper.

I'd not argue for dropping James now but I'm concerned at the lack of criticism of some of his performances here. He shouldn't be undropable - no player should. Once a player thinks he's a write-in for the teamsheet every week, where is the motivation to perform?

There have been some inept displays - and on his money you would expect more. Many more slip-ups and Millen should consider resting James and bringing in either Hendo or Gerkin.

I find it amazing that people think gerken is even near David James in terms of ability. Gerken struggles with some very basic things. Although he is a decent shot stopper, the rest of his game is very poor, for that reason he'll never be more than a decent back-up for this level.

James has looked slightly rusty of late and has been overrated this season. Don't get me wrong he is the best 'keeper at the Club but Basso in the Playoff season was significantly better than James has been this term but simply because of the status of James he is talked about as if he's performed heroics week in week out. I'm not even sayign Basso is a better player than James but he was better in our goal than James has been.

Should we reach a point where relegation is mathematically impossible before the end of the season then the thing to do would be to play Gerken or Henderson in those games and see how they perform.

For me, James has been up there with our better performers this season but his game isn't perfect. Take the leeds game for example, his distribution was woeful in comparison to young Schmeichel.

I've seen the highlights from last night and he seemed rather unlucky with the first goal, clearly he was trying to push the ball away from the 6yard area but didn't get a good contact on it. I do however question his positioning for the second.

for such a good goalkeeper he lets in a hell of a lot of goals.

Think thats 170 or so conceded in the league in the last 2 and a bit seasons.

If you want to go down the route of stats - we've kept 2 less clean sheets this season than we did in the entirity of 2009/10.

Sorry to labour the point, but all Calamity has brought to us is that we can list an EX England keeper in our squad?

I for one will lose NO sleep if he decides to prostitute his limited skills and MASSIVE EGO elsewhere???

Perhaps he can take that other mercenary HUNT with him????

Go on all you DJ lovers - I have got thick skin.

Sorry to labour the point, but all Calamity has brought to us is that we can list an EX England keeper in our squad?

I for one will lose NO sleep if he decides to prostitute his limited skills and MASSIVE EGO elsewhere???

Thick skin to go with your big mouth.

thats not fair. he's brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people in Bristol.

mostly female students in Clifton though it has to be said.

I can't believe there is even a thread on this. How many MOTMs has he had this season? Plenty. How many bad games has he had? 2 or 3? Good goalkeeper, but no protection in front of him. He'll be a good influence in the dressing room, particularly for the youngsters. He's articulate and professional. His signing has raised the profile of the club no end. A couple of mistakes and he's being made a scapegoat again. After the next game it will probably be someone else.

James is, and has always been a poor keeper. I was extremely disappointed to hear we have to pay the old mans wages for yet another year.

You are without doubt the least intelligent poster on this forum, and that takes some serious effort.

@Simon wheeler, no idea what DJ has done to you, but your posts lack any substance considering DJ does more for other people across the world than any other player at BCFC and a damned sight more than you ever have. If anyone is up themselves simon, then it is you.

We have kept more clean sheets than most of the other teams in the championship, If I remember correctly, with over 10? That's a pretty mean feat considering some of the mentally challenged "defenders" who have played in front of him this season...

DJ, is a brilliant goalkeeper and brings a lot more than his performances on the field to the club. He is also without doubt one of the most intelligent professional footballers around, and with that brings plenty to the table to more than justify his salary.

Scapegoat season, yet again on OTIB...

It's downright concerning just how little our fans can see or remember. Especially those who don't even go to games.

You are without doubt the least intelligent poster on this forum, and that takes some serious effort.

@Simon wheeler, no idea what DJ has done to you, but your posts lack any substance considering DJ does more for other people across the world than any other player at BCFC and a damned sight more than you ever have. If anyone is up themselves simon, then it is you.

We have kept more clean sheets than most of the other teams in the championship, If I remember correctly, with over 10? That's a pretty mean feat considering some of the mentally challenged "defenders" who have played in front of him this season...

DJ, is a brilliant goalkeeper and brings a lot more than his performances on the field to the club. He is also without doubt one of the most intelligent professional footballers around, and with that brings plenty to the table to more than justify his salary.

It's downright concerning just how little our fans can see or remember. Especially those who don't even go to games.

Tansley....you must be what? 16 years of age? Explains the petulance.

Go on then. Explain to me what makes James such a good keeper?

I'd also like to know the answer to that question, because all I see in James is a keeper who is five years past his best and who isn't as good as Basso was between 2005 and 2009. Do we really need him in League One next season??

Pros

Commands his box (I dont think gerken has heard of this) - comes for crosses etc.

Decent handling - good shot stopper & excellent reflexes - Gerkens Strength also

Excellent kicking

Organises Defence

Bags of experience

Cons

prone to making a mistake - as are all keepers

can come accross as arrogant

Pros

Commands his box (I dont think gerken has heard of this) - comes for crosses etc.

Decent handling - good shot stopper & excellent reflexes - Gerkens Strength also

Excellent kicking

Organises Defence

Bags of experience

Cons

prone to making a mistake - as are all keepers

can come accross as arrogant

I'll take it from your signature that you are a DJ fan. :laugh:!

Commands his box - I disagree. He is often caught rooted to the goal line when he could come for a cross. He does take the easy ones though.

Excellent kicking. Strongly disagree. Can barely kick to the half way line.

Organises defence - thats right, we hardly concede any goals don't we. The cohesion in our defence is superb!

Bags of experience. Agree. But he has always been shit, thus the reason he has had so many clubs.

Please dont give me the england crap. He was the best of a crap bunch.

Goalkeepers dont get given the nickname "calamity" for no reason!

How many home games have you missed this season???

As for moi NOT ONE including friendlies????

So please do not question my right to have an opinion?

ALL Calamity brings to me is a bloody big pain in my stomach as I know every time I put my season ticket in to its receptor I am contributing to his fat pension fund.

As for intelligence then lets not even go down that road.................

I'll take it from your signature that you are a DJ fan. :laugh:!

Commands his box - I disagree. He is often caught rooted to the goal line when he could come for a cross. He does take the easy ones though.

Excellent kicking. Strongly disagree. Can barely kick to the half way line.

Organises defence - thats right, we hardly concede any goals don't we. The cohesion in our defence is superb!

Bags of experience. Agree. But he has always been shit, thus the reason he has had so many clubs.

Please dont give me the england crap. He was the best of a crap bunch.

Goalkeepers dont get given the nickname "calamity" for no reason!

If you think he aint any good at commanding his box - what the **** do you think of gerken???

I would'nt say I'm a david james fan, that signature is just from when we signed him - but I think its clear he is a class above at this level.

He may not of ever been world class, but he is better than what we could hope to sign.

Archived