IGNORED

Steve Lansdown - Stick To Your Guns

Port Said Red

In answer to "Loyal"reds thread I have a few things to say. I will start by suggesting that he had his piece written before the game last night and was sat there with his finger over the "Post New Topic" button right up to the 92 minute! But that's beside the point.

If SL is going to act, the action should be to come out and put his full support behind the Manager, genuinely, not the "he'll be sacked next week though" type.

He has already shown that he backs his man by allowing him to sign two players (1 on loan) in the January window and making funds available for the failed bid for Jones of Preston. KM has made several good signings and he has made it clear he knows as well as the armchair Managers on this forum where further improvements need to be made. Despite the results of the last two games there are signs we are starting to show better form, I cite the Cardiff away game which ended in a frustrating defeat but actually sparked our best spell of the season.

Losing Stead has been a blow, Nicky Maynard returning is a huge boost and not one person on here can deny that losing his services for so long would be a blow for any manager.

I honestly believe that if forums like this existed in the early 70;s we would have lost Alan Dicks to the clamour of the masses before he had a chance to get things right. People forget that John Galleys goals kept us up for 3 seasons while he developed a team. Like KM, Alan Dicks was not a big name in the game but proved that it is not necessary to have big reputation to succeed.

The thing that this club needed more than anything else after the "big name" dropped us like a cold turd, was stability. SL went into the club to find it instead of hunting around for yet another outsider and I believe this was the right decision.

The financial outlay of changing now will have to be met by SL again and there is NO GAURANTEE that a new manager will do any better, in fact he could do even worse (ask the Gas supporters)!

I would say the complete opposite to those who demand action and say that changes horse again in midstream and the upheaval that comes with that, will almost gaurantee our relegation.

Personally if SL does cave in to the ill informed clamour on here then I think that will probably be it for me, because after 45 years I am getting sick of the negative know it all attitude of the some of our "fans". I am sick of the clamour for this mythical Manager who will please every fan, pick every fans favourite player, play Arsenal style football and most importantly never ever lose a game.

He only exists in your heads and in computer games, so you will never be truly happy.

Not saying that I agree with all of it, because I dont, but a good, interesting post.

As a general comment which currently cannot take into consideration other factors (performance etc), whilst I agree it isnt ideal to change management this late in the season, if we dont win either of the next two games, I struggle to see on what grounds Millen will keep his job. And on top of that, if we fall decisively to S****horpe his position is surely untenable.

From that basis there is absolutely no way Lansdown can offer his full support. Keith has had two transfer windows and over a half a season to address a drastically overhyped 'mess' inherited from the Coppell era which, in reality, was so fleeting that it should, if anything, be regarding as a lack of disruption rather than some impossible to recover from apocalypse.

In regards to form, the only form we are showing is that of a dreadfully entrenched, confidence shot, unorganised, relegation bound outfit. The mere fact that you reference the Cardiff away game, which without checking must have been early December (?), to illustrate out apparent improved form shows just how poor we have been. Form is a short term measure and, regardless of opposition, our recent form has been terrible.

Agree losing Stead was a big blow and Maynards return will offer a significant lift, however neither immune Keith from questionning regarding our position.

Please explain how Keith has brought stability.

Stability would be midtable, a solidified fanbase, a foundation to build on next year.

It appears to me, with the season entering it's final stages, stability is perhaps the last thing we have gained through his appointment.

I think an important question here, and to be honest it is one which I have not considered prior to constructing this sentence, is would I rather we scraped survival with the current setup in place, who would ultimately lead us into next season, or would I like to see Di Matteo, Hughton, McLaren etc come in but us suffer the unthinkable, or rather what before this season appeared unthinkable, and be relegated.

The honest answer to that question is I dont know, and that is testament to how underwhelmed I have been with our season and the management team in place. I dont see an upturn in form, people whip our soundbytes in an attempt to appease - 'aggressive', 'attacking', 'good football', but I dont see any of that. Until very recently we hadnt scored for five games, we have been outclassed by some, outfought by others. Sure we have shown glimpses, but that is largely because, contrary to this hypnotised mantra some have adopted, we have a pretty decent squad.

I genuinely hope we suddenly discover some form and pull clear, building in the summer and establishing ourselves once more next season, but Millen and Wigley have been so disappointing to date that they have everything to prove with no laurels to rest on.

Sorry hornbeam you are really trying hard to extract crumbs of inspiration from the bottom of the biscuit barrel but I cannot get inspired that this man will ever have the ability to inspire his team to anything more than lower mid table. And, in the meantime, for those who continue to advocate restraint and patience will sleep walk us to a lower league position or even league before Millen finally grasps a semblance of mediocre management skill.

Millen was never the answer, he is not now and he never will be. The sooner our Chairman acts upon what he surely already knows instead of loyally and admirably standing by his man the sooner we can get on with all of our lives with City embedded back into an ambitious upward psyche instead of having to listen to nonsense like 'we are not in a relegation battle' .... A remark that would have been anathema to this club as short a time ago as 6 months.

I dont agree that changing Millen now is the right option, but just because Keith has brought in a couple of decent signings shouldn't be a reason to keep his job.

He sounds more like a scout than a manager, if he is to be a great manager he should be a great coach first, an organiser and someone who can motivate the players and put it all together. I see little change in how we approach games, how we defend as a team, how we attack and more importantly how we adapt to going a goal behind, we're attrocious at getting points out of games once we concede.

I don't share your enthusiasm for Keith I'm afraid, especially when he has had long enough on the training pitch to put our deficiences right. I don't believe the squad is as bad as we are showing, the majority of it has served us well for 3 seasons, the chairman has always backed his man like you say, so surely there has to be something else. Once you look at the players we have, the money that has been spent on additions to the squad, the previous seasons where we have finished and the time he has had coaching (5-6 months) you should come to the conclusion that it's maybe more than just unlucky we find ourselves deep rooted in a relegation battle. Perhaps he just isn't cut out to be a manager.

In answer to "Loyal"reds thread I have a few things to say. I will start by suggesting that he had his piece written before the game last night and was sat there with his finger over the "Post New Topic" button right up to the 92 minute! But that's beside the point.

If SL is going to act, the action should be to come out and put his full support behind the Manager, genuinely, not the "he'll be sacked next week though" type.

He has already shown that he backs his man by allowing him to sign two players (1 on loan) in the January window and making funds available for the failed bid for Jones of Preston. KM has made several good signings and he has made it clear he knows as well as the armchair Managers on this forum where further improvements need to be made. Despite the results of the last two games there are signs we are starting to show better form, I cite the Cardiff away game which ended in a frustrating defeat but actually sparked our best spell of the season.

Losing Stead has been a blow, Nicky Maynard returning is a huge boost and not one person on here can deny that losing his services for so long would be a blow for any manager.

I honestly believe that if forums like this existed in the early 70;s we would have lost Alan Dicks to the clamour of the masses before he had a chance to get things right. People forget that John Galleys goals kept us up for 3 seasons while he developed a team. Like KM, Alan Dicks was not a big name in the game but proved that it is not necessary to have big reputation to succeed.

The thing that this club needed more than anything else after the "big name" dropped us like a cold turd, was stability. SL went into the club to find it instead of hunting around for yet another outsider and I believe this was the right decision.

The financial outlay of changing now will have to be met by SL again and there is NO GAURANTEE that a new manager will do any better, in fact he could do even worse (ask the Gas supporters)!

I would say the complete opposite to those who demand action and say that changes horse again in midstream and the upheaval that comes with that, will almost gaurantee our relegation.

Personally if SL does cave in to the ill informed clamour on here then I think that will probably be it for me, because after 45 years I am getting sick of the negative know it all attitude of the some of our "fans". I am sick of the clamour for this mythical Manager who will please every fan, pick every fans favourite player, play Arsenal style football and most importantly never ever lose a game.

He only exists in your heads and in computer games, so you will never be truly happy.

Panic Steve

I am sick of the clamour for this mythical Manager who will please every fan, pick every fans favourite player, play Arsenal style football and most importantly never ever lose a game.

I'm afraid your OP suffers from the fundamental and quite unforgiveable flaw that it consists entirely of restrained, mature common sense from beginning to end - especially your two final sentences, above.

A man of your experience should know that this sort of thing will not be tolerated on the forum. Shame on you.

:disapointed2se:

I like that, i like that a lot!

Personally if SL does cave in to the ill informed clamour on here then I think that will probably be it for me, because after 45 years I am getting sick of the negative know it all attitude of the some of our "fans".

So you're happy with this season's performances and league position? I'm not, and I'm certainly not "ill informed"!

what would you have been happy with this season? 10 points clear at this stage with talks about a summer signing of messi underway? you're a proper muppet pal.

Thanks, and you're a d_ick_head. No, I didn't expect to be 10 points clear, but I did hope that we wouldn't be spending the entire season at the wrong end of the table.

Thanks, and you're a d_ick_head. No, I didn't expect to be 10 points clear, but I did hope that we wouldn't be spending the entire season at the wrong end of the table.

i'm an expletive, "so lucky". did you in your heart of hearts actually expect us to be safe (boring) and in mid table after coppell left little man?

Totally agree - watched the highlights of the leicester game and we deserved far ore than we got. We are in a relegation battle no question but I think changing now would be a disaster especially as km has built a squad capable of challenging for promotion next year.

Do you mean promotion from League 1?

If so yes I agree with you. If the championship, alas no.

Sacking KM now would be entirely the wrong thing to do. But regardless of our fate come May. Serious decisions need to be made, including that of reviewing the managers position.

The squad as it stands is bloated and is carrying too much dead wood. Hopefully, we will still be in the Chanpionship come August.

The squad as it stands is bloated and is carrying too much dead wood. Hopefully, we will still be in the Chanpionship come August.

Which has been identified by the board and the management team, but there has been limited opportunity to do miuch about it. I guess you have heard of the transfer window? iit's not so easy to make sweeping changes to squads these days.We did what business we could in that period, even allowing for the accepted difficulties of having to pay inflated prices and clubs reluctant to do deals.

From what I have seen of KM's signings so far I think he should be given the summer to work on the squad. Get rid of the players we know are not good enough (if we can persuade people to take Hunt even better!) and bring in Jones and any others he has spotted and then it will be fair to assess his management skills.

Hornbeamred,What a terrific opening post. I wish I had the patience to construct such a balanced and well contructed thread.There are far too many fans who think a successfull season is a god given right and they get angry and impatient when it doesn't happen. Its all the managers fault of course.Millen is starting to gradually re-build and re-building takes time. Didn't it take Ferguson several seasons before Man Utd won anything under him?

Yes, and he had never managed before. If we had appointed him before he had the Newcastle job people on here would have called it a crazy appointment because of his lack of managerial experience.

so true.

another example is Mourinho. He only got into club management because he was Sir Bobby Robson's interpreter when he was manager at Barcelona.

Look at him now.

Granted these are 2 massive examples, but it shows that experience aint everything.

Archived