IGNORED

Classic Rumour...

spudski

...You've gotta laugh.

Saw this on a footy rumours site this morning...You couldn't make it up. :tumbleweed:

20 Feb 2011 21:43:21

The face of Bristol football to change forever

things looking very bleak for both clubs

(rovers are in financial trouble) and (lansdown is getting fed up)

my very reliable sources tell me that both clubs will cease to exist within the next year or so, but will united to form ONE football club under the name of Bristol United

i have found out that the bristol council will push through the planning hurdles (village green nonsense) and finance some of the build to home the club

ashton gate will stay standing for use of the rugby club and the memorial stadium will be sold off to help raise funds

it is thought that the colour of the teams kit to be purple and white, away colours uncomfirmed

steve lansdown will be chairman with alot of local business men willing to invest to help put bristol on the footballing map

there is talk of the manager being ian holloway and keith millen in a joint leadership at the helm (they are good friends) (uncomfirmed)

training facilities will be bristol city's current hq at failand

i will post more news when i have heard updates

so what do you think bristolians,

(i would of posted this on brfcforums or otib but i am not a member of them, and newbies on these forums get shot down very quickly)

If you take away the years of history and everything else, if there had been just one team in Bristol back in 1900, then it's probable that that team would have been bigger than the two we have in the City now. I know it doesn't bear thinking about, but if you see it from a different 'Neutral' perspective, it would have probably worked better for Bristol Football as a whole.

All conjecture and presumption on my part though.

Out of interest, if and i mean a big IF, this ever did happen, I wonder how many fans from both Clubs would stop watching and refuse to support such a venture. Or...how many would follow it. I know Clubs in Italy have done this in the past. Sampdoria for one.

Out of interest, if and i mean a big IF, this ever did happen, I wonder how many fans from both Clubs would stop watching and refuse to support such a venture. Or...how many would follow it. I know Clubs in Italy have done this in the past. Sampdoria for one.

I wouldn't support it. To me, it would be the same scenario as when Wimbledon became MK Dons. It would be a totally different club to the one I support.

I hope that, if the bleak day ever comes when the two Bristol clubs merge, most of us City fans will form our own FC City of Bristol (just like FC United of Mancheser), and follow them through the Southern non-leagues.

I have always been set set against the idea, but, the OP has a point.....

How about this as a fair solution so that everyone is happy with a 50/50 set up.....

Take the WHITE from their kit and the RED from ours

Take the "BRISTOL" from their name and the "CITY" from ours

Ashton Gate is obviously better than the Memorial Ground, so play home games there, reserve games could be played at the memorial Ground.

Our charman is better, so keep SL in charge.

There you go, an amicable solution....

play in RED and WHITE, be called BRISTOL CITY, play at ASHTON GATE with those who dont make the grade, getting a few games under their belt up at the memorial ground - SORTED! :innocent06:

Oh, hang on a minute...! :whistle2:

How about this as a fair solution so that everyone is happy with a 50/50 set up.....

Ashton Gate is obviously better than the Memorial Ground, so play home games there, reserve games could be played at the memorial Ground.

play in RED and WHITE, be called BRISTOL CITY, play at ASHTON GATE with those who dont make the grade, getting a few games under their belt up at the memorial ground - SORTED! :innocent06:

Everytime a merge thread is created, there's always someone who comes out with the "take Bristol from Bristol Rovers, take City from Bristol City" etc..

It's the same when we talk about naming stands after former players, you can always guarantee somebody will come out with the "bell end" stand.

I'm getting a major sense of deja vu here, next thing you know there'll be a thread about "worst player to play for City" or "Keith Millen must go"

If you take away the years of history and everything else, if there had been just one team in Bristol back in 1900, then it's probable that that team would have been bigger than the two we have in the City now. I know it doesn't bear thinking about, but if you see it from a different 'Neutral' perspective, it would have probably worked better for Bristol Football as a whole.

All conjecture and presumption on my part though.

I'd go. Be painful but I've mellowed with age and I'd definitely give it a go at least..

:laugh:, what a load of rubbish. Just a reminder to City fans - the last four years have been the most successful the club have enjoyed since 1980. Promotion, followed by 4th place and the Championship play off final and then two top ten finishes. The Championship is now recognised by most experts to be the fourth or fifth biggest league in Europe (based on crowds, finance, internationals playing there etc). Our Crowds have been the highest since 1980, averaging around 15,000 over the past four seasons. Despite Coppell walking out and more injuries than I can ever remember in a season, City are well clear of the bottom three and if we beat S****horpe on saturday will be very close to half way.

People will invest in Bristol City, Steve Lansdown continues to do it at present and Bristol City WILL make the Premier League. People who think i'm talking Pie in the Sky should remember we were only a Dean Windass shot away a couple of years ago.

ALWAYS BELIEVE

However.....for the sake of argument (beacuse it would never happen) if Bristol United was formed I'm convinced the vast majority of City and Rovers fans would continue to follow the Robins and the Gas in their new forms however low their divisions. The 'new board' of United would be left with a tiny support base that would see the club flounder in the lower reaches.

I don't think Rovers would ever completely disappear because they have at least 4-5,000 fans who passionately care about them. However, I can see them yo-yo ing between Leagues 1 & 2 and becoming largely irrelevent to us. Its now 11 years since we have faced them in a league derby so they are already becoming a distant memory.

There we are. The only way I would be interested in the least!

Bristol City FC (City Till I Die)

Archived