IGNORED

Fantastic Youtube Clip

I too was there on the day.

But really that has no relevance when trying to compare that team to now.

That was the equivalent of Man Utd/Chelsea or Arsenal of today against lower level prem teams of today.

Our current standard of play is lower level Championship, as it was before Alan dicks arrived and took over fromm fred Ford.

So to compare the current team to the team against Liverpool that day is nonsense.

I think that's where my earlier posts were misinterpreted.

I was trying to imply, that you can't compare any football from the 70's with todays football. Not just BCFC, It's a totally different game. Pitches, ball, fitness, technique, training, tactics, health, conditioning, mindset, society...all these things play a part on the game.

I was there watching.. But not from inside the ground.. As a young lad, I was watching from the bathroom window of the Robin Cafe which was behind the open end on Ashton Rd. Which was owned by some of my family.

Aahh.. The memories!

I think that's where my earlier posts were misinterpreted.

I was trying to imply, that you can't compare any football from the 70's with todays football. Not just BCFC, It's a totally different game. Pitches, ball, fitness, technique, training, tactics, health, conditioning, mindset, society...all these things play a part on the game.

Absolutely agree, with the addition that the rules have changed and the interpretation of the off side rule has changed (not the rule itself).

That Liverpool team were famous for passing the ball back to the goalkeeper to pick up from the half way line!

If there is one comparison between that City team and today's team is that they were/are inconsistent - never knowing which team was going to turn up!

For me the difference is the effort, desire, pride etc. players would'nt go down screaming like little girls and rolling around feigning injury as if they have been shot by a sniper, they would'nt give the opposition player that satisfaction especially from some of the pussie tackling that occurs today. Yes the skill level is better, probably the fitness (but for some reason far more injuries) but pride has given way to cheating and earning penalties for falling over a defenders leg and TV pundits telling the world 'he was entitled to go down' the most inane piece of punditry, no he was'nt 'entitled to go down' he was ******* cheating.

Great clips, would of loved not to have been in a pram at the time and at a age to appreciate a great time in City's history, on the girls rolling around and feigning injuries, obviously that has happened since the foreigners have come in on the pussy cat tackling there are still some tasty tackles around every week you watch a goal round up and the sending off's, and the reason imo there is the pussie tackling as you put is around today is because of the laws now, we would end up eight a side if tackles went in like the seventies it's not the players thought is the rules of modern football, a defender likes a tackle as much these days as in the seventies and if they could get away with it they would tackle like that.

Cityhead wrote:-

That was the equivalent of Man Utd/Chelsea or Arsenal of today against lower level prem teams of today.

Our current standard of play is lower level Championship, as it was before Alan dicks arrived and took over fromm fred Ford.

So to compare the current team to the team against Liverpool that day is nonsense.

Absolutely agree, with the addition that the rules have changed and the interpretation of the off side rule has changed (not the rule itself).

That Liverpool team were famous for passing the ball back to the goalkeeper to pick up from the half way line!

If there is one comparison between that City team and today's team is that they were/are inconsistent - never knowing which team was going to turn up!

I too was there on the day and I am not trying to compare the teams football wise or anything to do with modern day changes to game.

What I am saying that this particular squad/team and 5 minute clip encapsulates everything that was present with that side and what is clearly missing from the present squad, pride, passion, togetherness, commitment and spirit and sometimes City were beaten by better teams/players but you always knew that the team that did turn up would give 100% that is why the support was always so passionate and the fans hardly if ever turned on the players or the manager during this period and I for one have never asked anymore from any era of BCFC teams and that is not nonsense.

Cityhead wrote:-

I too was there on the day and I am not trying to compare the teams football wise or anything to do with modern day changes to game.

What I am saying that this particular squad/team and 5 minute clip encapsulates everything that was present with that side and what is clearly missing from the present squad, pride, passion, togetherness, commitment and spirit and sometimes City were beaten by better teams/players but you always knew that the team that did turn up would give 100% that is why the support was always so passionate and the fans hardly if ever turned on the players or the manager during this period and I for one have never asked anymore from any era of BCFC teams and that is not nonsense.

Sorry EMB but i dissagree.

My memory of that time was that quite often certainn players (as with today) were picked on by the crowd for lack of effort, lack of skill or simply were not liked. Even Hunter and Gow who were the main protagonists felt the wrath of the crowd at times!

the difference being there was no internet forums to start a witch hunt - you had to make your point in the pub and face the person you were dissagreeing with. Hopefully we are a bit more civilised nowadays - and I'm too old to start a punch up!

Archived