IGNORED

Fantastic Youtube Clip

I have just been watching a youtube clip City V Liverpool 1978/79 1-0 to City Joe Royle with a great strike for guy who must have been playing in agony even back then, my god it brought back real memories. if anybody wants to see how good we were in those days especially against probably the best club side in the world at the time and what an incredibly great all round footballer Sir Gerry Gow was, watch this 5 minute clip. Not only were Liverpool a great club side but the side was packed full of hard men and we matched them all over the pitch and we were not lacking in skill in that side either. it is a must watch believe me.

I have just been watching a youtube clip City V Liverpool 1978/79 1-0 to City Joe Royle with a great strike for guy who must have been playing in agony even back then, my god it brought back real memories. if anybody wants to see how good we were in those days especially against probably the best club side in the world at the time and what an incredibly great all round footballer Sir Gerry Gow was, watch this 5 minute clip. Not only were Liverpool a great club side but the side was packed full of hard men and we matched them all over the pitch and we were not lacking in skill in that side either. it is a must watch believe me.

You might want to add a link?

I was there that famous day. I was in the open end, as many of singing fans were in those days, taunting the Liverpool fans.

but do you notice from that clip how Trevor Tainton, Gerry Gow and Jimmy Mann used to boss the midfield and get passes into our wingers and strikers, against quality opposition. That is why we are currently struggling.

We talk about the likes of Lee Johnson not being good enough, but even the likes of Marvin Elliott, Cole Skuse etc, couldn't lace those players boots!!!

I was there that famous day. I was in the open end, as many of singing fans were in those days, taunting the Liverpool fans.

but do you notice from that clip how Trevor Tainton, Gerry Gow and Jimmy Mann used to boss the midfield and get passes into our wingers and strikers, against quality opposition. That is why we are currently struggling.

We talk about the likes of Lee Johnson not being good enough, but even the likes of Marvin Elliott, Cole Skuse etc, couldn't lace those players boots!!!

All excellent technically but still solid defenders. Maybe some of the current players should watch this clip...

Great day's, but even the guy's playing then would say, you can't compare then to now. They had so much more time on the ball and space back then. Different game nowadays.

The one thing i would say though, is forwards back then tried to find space more. How many times do we see forwards, today, with their backs to goal, just static. Hardly anyone comes for a pass anymore. Hardly any diagonal runs to create space. Even simple throw in's...they just stand there...no one moves. I often think our midfield are made to look a lot worse than they are, because of the lack of movement by the forwards, often leaving the midfielders no pass. It's been noticeable over the last few years.

As to whether i'd rather watch football now or back then...Give me a time machine someone...please. So much more aesthetically pleasing.

Great day's, but even the guy's playing then would say, you can't compare then to now. They had so much more time on the ball and space back then. Different game nowadays.

The one thing i would say though, is forwards back then tried to find space more. How many times do we see forwards, today, with their backs to goal, just static. Hardly anyone comes for a pass anymore. Hardly any diagonal runs to create space. Even simple throw in's...they just stand there...no one moves. I often think our midfield are made to look a lot worse than they are, because of the lack of movement by the forwards, often leaving the midfielders no pass. It's been noticeable over the last few years.

As to whether i'd rather watch football now or back then...Give me a time machine someone...please. So much more aesthetically pleasing.

For me the difference is the effort, desire, pride etc. players would'nt go down screaming like little girls and rolling around feigning injury as if they have been shot by a sniper, they would'nt give the opposition player that satisfaction especially from some of the pussie tackling that occurs today. Yes the skill level is better, probably the fitness (but for some reason far more injuries) but pride has given way to cheating and earning penalties for falling over a defenders leg and TV pundits telling the world 'he was entitled to go down' the most inane piece of punditry, no he was'nt 'entitled to go down' he was ******* cheating.

For me the difference is the effort, desire, pride etc. players would'nt go down screaming like little girls and rolling around feigning injury as if they have been shot by a sniper, they would'nt give the opposition player that satisfaction especially from some of the pussie tackling that occurs today. Yes the skill level is better, probably the fitness (but for some reason far more injuries) but pride has given way to cheating and earning penalties for falling over a defenders leg and TV pundits telling the world 'he was entitled to go down' the most inane piece of punditry, no he was'nt 'entitled to go down' he was ******* cheating.

Players go down screaming to gain advantage and get players booked. That's very true. They also do it, so everyone gets a breather. Back then players played through injuries and had injections to dampen the pain, so they could play through it. Many of them are suffering today, because of it. Look at poor old Malcolm Macdonald. Also only 1 sub was allowed back then. It was a totally different game to today, in nearly everyway.

Speak to the likes of Cheese and Sweeney at the club and they will tell you so. The 70's and early 80's were by far my best memories of football though...loved it.

Remember that game very well , Dad had a season ticket in the middle 'red' block of the Dolman , so I took my younger brother for the first time (and his last) to the Gate for this game and we were in the schoolboys enclosure in front of the Dolman. When Royle scored my younger brother got a good bashing from the crush following the goal and thus said he was never going again !!!!!

Are you mad. Liverpool had players like Kenny Dalglish and Graham Souness playing in that game, not to mention many other stars.

What am I on about.... The players I mentioned were legends, not like the standard of Championship players we are playing against now, and getting out played by, most games!!

I see...you are specifically speaking about that one game.

After speaking to Paul Cheesley, Brian Drysdale, Gerry Sweeney and various other players that played from that decade, they have all to a man said, you can't compare then to now.

I see...you are specifically speaking about that one game.

After speaking to Paul Cheesley, Brian Drysdale, Gerry Sweeney and various other players that played from that decade, they have all to a man said, you can't compare then to now.

I know Paul Cheesely very well, and I knew most of the city players at the time. I know for a fact how frustrated Paul is with our present standard of football. Let me also assure you that the Liverpool players in that team would walk into Premier League teams today, let alone championship sides.

I know Paul Cheesely very well, and I knew most of the city players at the time. I know for a fact how frustrated Paul is with our present standard of football. Let me also assure you that the Liverpool players in that team would walk into Premier League teams today, let alone championship sides.

I agree, but only if they had the same fitness levels and stamina as now. They were great footballers, technically, and with good footballing brains.

And i agree with Paul, about how frustrating the standard of football is. Emphasis is put on fitness, strength and speed now. Football 'skill' almost comes second. You only have to look at the likes of Trundle, Noble and Williams, all good 'footballers' at this level, but not athletes.

You have to be an Athlete first, then a footballer. It can win football games, but for the spectator, it can be mind numbingly boring.

I agree, but only if they had the same fitness levels and stamina as now. They were great footballers, technically, and with good footballing brains.

And i agree with Paul, about how frustrating the standard of football is. Emphasis is put on fitness, strength and speed now. Football 'skill' almost comes second. You only have to look at the likes of Trundle, Noble and Williams, all good 'footballers' at this level, but not athletes.

You have to be an Athlete first, then a footballer. It can win football games, but for the spectator, it can be mind numbingly boring.

We will have to agree to disagree, because I think you are totally wrong, the players of the past were not all slow, after all we have slow players in our team now. You can't compare trundle and the likes to players like Dalglish. What about Stevie Highway, he had loads of pace, and as for fitness, they played on boggy pitches in the 70's, that cut up very quickly. Not like the bowling greens they play on nowadays!!

Watching that City team and i mean team, players played for the team and not for themselves.

There was a captain on the pitch who knew how to tackle, but he also knew how to motivate the players around him.( Sir Geoffrey Merrick.)

The manager would pick his team, but once on the pitch all the players were committed.

Footballers then had just as much if not more skill then todays players.

Footballers today are fitter, but thats only because there is more work done on the physical side then the footballing side.

Players then got into teams with their natural ability, these days a lot of the skill that got them noticed is taken away from them.

Players today are spoilt!

We will have to agree to disagree, because I think you are totally wrong, the players of the past were not all slow, after all we have slow players in our team now. You can't compare trundle and the likes to players like Dalglish. What about Stevie Highway, he had loads of pace, and as for fitness, they played on boggy pitches in the 70's, that cut up very quickly. Not like the bowling greens they play on nowadays!!

I didn't compare Dalglish and Trundle. Either i'm not writing my posts correctly, to be understood, or you're not reading them correctly. Either way, i'm happy to disagree, for the sake of arguememnt.

cool. I heard, or read recently that after one game Souness was begging the ref for protection from Gow - not sure whether he was with us or man city at the time? Souness was generally regarded as the roy keane of his time by then, as I understand it, and in those days, there were some real mean tackles being thrown around, so Gow must have been one of the most feared midfielders in the country?

cool. I heard, or read recently that after one game Souness was begging the ref for protection from Gow - not sure whether he was with us or man city at the time? Souness was generally regarded as the roy keane of his time by then, as I understand it, and in those days, there were some real mean tackles being thrown around, so Gow must have been one of the most feared midfielders in the country?

Feared, skillful, football brain and always weighed in with a decent amount of goals from midfield. All of the hard men of that era did'nt much fancy 90 minutes against Gerry Gow and that included Billy Bremner and they crossed swords a few times.

Feared, skillful, football brain and always weighed in with a decent amount of goals from midfield. All of the hard men of that era did'nt much fancy 90 minutes against Gerry Gow and that included Billy Bremner and they crossed swords a few times.

ace, I would have loved to have seen him play, so you reckon that being in a midfield battle with those 2 playing against each other would have been a sight to behold?! The full strength leeds team of the 70s is obviously well known for its aggression and power.

I too was there on the day.

But really that has no relevance when trying to compare that team to now.

That was the equivalent of Man Utd/Chelsea or Arsenal of today against lower level prem teams of today.

Our current standard of play is lower level Championship, as it was before Alan dicks arrived and took over fromm fred Ford.

So to compare the current team to the team against Liverpool that day is nonsense.

...er... was the 'official' crowd figure! :whistle2:

Yeah there has always been the official crowd figure down the gate, and its always been a few thousand down on what the regular spectator thought. I wonder why :rolleyes: .

It was even worse in those days because you could cram more into the ground, due to it being mostly standing. If I remember correctly the first season in the 1st Division we played Liverpool on an evening game in front of about 32,000 and we beat them again 2-1. That then set us up for the last game of the season, where we had to get a point at Coventry to stay up. We drew up there 2-2. But it didn't matter in the end because Sunderland lost at Everton, so they went down.

Archived